DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Can You Contro Multiple PCs in a Party?

Lord of 13

Hi, I'm new to DM, but I had a question about RP: Is it posssible for you to control two or more PCs in a party (one that includes other, non-you-controlled PCs)?

Basically, if your party needs a BT Asha'man, and you've got a character that fits your need, can you put him into your party and control both of your PCs? Or do you have to ask around for an Asha'man and hope you get lucky?

Ex:  Party of Green Aes Sedai, Warder 1, Warder 2, and "conscripted" Noble

Needs: Asha'man for male chaneller and an Ogier

A Few Days Later... has an Ogier, but needs Asha'man

Would it be OK for Noble's controller to also add a Asha'man character

s/he has?

Thanks,

Lord of 13

Generally speaking, its preferable to keep your own PC's seperate.  As a last resort you can put two of your characters together, but since the entire point of the RP is to write and interact with other players, it's best to look for someone else.

Sometimes it has to happen anyway.  I currently have both of my Asha'man involved in one RP.  But I keep their interactions to a minimum.  I don't think they've ever even spoken to eachother. 

Long story short, it's frowned upon, but nobody is going to yell at you for it.

Yeah, I'm actually working in the planning stages of two different rps in which some of my characters will meet....but it'll probably just be a one-time thing with little interaction.  As Arath said, and as I have to remind myself sometimes, the point is to interact with other writers.

I have done it before. Played my Aes Sedai in the same thread with my Tower Guard. It makes things a bit more difficult but it's possible for sure and sometimes it's called for to earn reqs or when there isn't anyone else wanting to fill that role. I have also played my Aes Sedai meeting my Tower Guard in other places and it's been fine. However as Arath said it's usually better to do things with other people and build those relationships.

Maybe I'm different, but I have never had an issue with RPing my characters together. Especially one's that have distinctive voices (Like my Wolfkin and my Tower Guard) even if they don't get along all the time. But my characters and I have a rather unique relationship that way. :)

I do it sometimes when the characters are in the same place, but only when there are other characters involved.  I would confuse the heck out of myself otherwise, and I still confuse myself sometimes as to how distinct the characters are from each other or how similar they are.  I haven't done it Yet at DM but I've put in a couple new bios so we'll see.

I have 2 characters at the Reds, 1 the Highest and 1 a Sitter, so quite often I have to RP both in 1 RP. I've never done it with only the 2 of them in the RP, though - there are always other people participating as well.

There's no doubt most of us can RP our characters together but as Arath stated, it's not encouraged. It doesn't especially push you as a writer or help you to build relationships if you RP with yourself. It's also open to abuse. The whole point of RP is to write with others after all. So yes, it can be done... but it's preferable that you don't if it can be avoided.  :) At the very least do it with other people as Elgee (and others) said.

It's more than understandable if you need a char to jump in and no one else is available, to just use yours. It's always more interesting with other people, but in a pinch, it doesn't hurt. My novice and trainee flirted together once, but there were a bunch of other trainees in the rp. I used my trainee to help keep the thread moving and stop it stalling :)

*nods* Everyone is correct  ;D With so many of my characters in Tar Valon it happens often, but it is usually in large group settings and almost always with another RP partner they are involved with. i.e My Warder charcter was in the RP with her Aes SEdai and my Aes Sedai character was there with her Ajah Sisters.

*shrugs* It is not a bad way to RP, just not to often. Try to keep it in larger group RP's and its a big deal.