DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Fighters Thread Reborn ...

DaShain

Where is reyler?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where is reyler?

• Playing Grand Theft Auto IV.
    • Trying to level up her WoW character to defeat Leeeroy Jenkins!
    • She's found a better forum to spam in.
    • Fighting Batman in Gotham.
    • Lurking...
    • She spammed Relyer and was immediately sent back to the 5th Dimension!
    • She's in Time Out.
    • Eating a cheeseburger on Mars
    • Locked in someone's basement
    • she was never there at all but was an automated comp from the future sent to better our spam and once it was done destroyed itself!!!
    • Who is reyler?
    • Abducted by aliens.
    • Asmodean did it!
    • She's hunting Oompa Lumpas!
    • Maybe her computer just broke or something?

Yet he still isn't even close to bridging the colossal chasm that puts Bel'al above him in skill.

I would disagree with that. Rand has certainly improved by leaps and bounds over the course of the books' date=' as well as becoming more and more deadly outside of blademaster training. Be'lal learned the sword when it was still a game, and while it translates very well into actual combat, my guess would be that Be'lal's training prevents him from fighting dirty. It's the same thing that people used to say about Galad; he's too focused on rules, he's too much of a goody-two-shoes to fight to win instead of fighting the right way. Be'lal, while obviously not a goody-two-shoes, has never, EVER needed to actually survive on his physical skill in a fight; he learned the sword as a hobby, and both he and Lews Therin fought mostly with the One Power. So I would argue that Rand may still not be as good a blademaster, but would certainly give Be'lal a run for his money at this point. Especially if he wasn't half-crazed and exhausted from constant travel/climbing a virtually sheer rock face.[/quote']

Who knows what the game swords actually was. Considering that there were twenty different dueling for entertainment games in the AOL, it might be real steel and real lives at stake. Considering he can easily make a flaming sword like Rand, I doubt that he takes swordfighting as a harmless game. As for Rand's exhaustion, Bel'al the netweaver probably plans for the worst. Obviously, fighting Rand at any time he knew he could still easily herd him towards his trap.

As for Rand and his increasing sword skill, the only blademasters he's ever been able to train with or fight after Bel'al was Lan for a short time, and Toram for one brief battle. Past his practice fight with 5 men at once after he took Andor, I haven't seen him actually practice actively.

Unfortunately for Bel'al, he underestimated the half-trained children

• 5 months later...

Thread resurrection after long absence FTW!!

Rand did also beat Turak, a blademaster who had obviously earned his heron-mark, with very little training.

I hadn't even considered Be'lal as a possible choice, when I made this thread. He did totally outclass Rand at that point in time, but there were extenuating circumstances. Rand was operating on maybe a few hours of sleep a night. He had just hiked clear across the continent to reach Tear, on foot, staying ahead of both the Shadow's minions (darkhounds, etc.) and Moiraine's party for most of the way. After that, he climbed hundreds of feet up a sheer rock wall; tell me he wasn't exhausted doing that. Be'lal, on the other hand, was well rested and totally prepared for the confrontation; the only factors he didn't count on were Mat and the Aiel's involvement (which didn't matter much to Be'lal's own fight) and, obviously, Moiraine escaping his trap. And trouncing Rand really did require some effort on his part, if not much, even at this point, when Rand should have been so off-balance and tired that he could be pushed right over.

As for Be'lal having plans for the worst ... come on. Rand is still barely learning to channel at this point. In a pitched One Power-battle, lacking the Eye of the World or Callandor to draw on, there's not a chance in hell that Rand can stand up to one of the Forsaken, at least not during TDR. Worst-case scenario for Be'lal would not be "I'm sure I can beat him at swords"; worst-case scenario would be "I'll pummel him with the One Power until he's forced back into Callandor."

I'd still contend that, considering Be'lal has almost certainly never truly had to survive on his bladework alone, Rand's battle-won skill would serve him much better. In TDR, had Rand been well-rested and prepared, I agree that Be'lal still probably would have won; however, by FoH or LoC, Rand is not only a badass blademaster, but also has learned the Aiel way of fighting. I'd say Rand would whoop Be'lal after that.

And Mat would whoop Be'lal simply through virtue of the fireblade dissolving upon touching him :P

My vote is Definately for Mat, based on sheer speed, and reach of his spear.Being able to cut your oponent while his sword/Hammer is still an arms length away from you has to count for something. Also In a one on one fight the deciding factor is very often speed. No matter how skilled you are if your enemy strikes to fast for you to be able to block, you are dead. Mat is the only guy who can pluck thrown daggers out of the air without thinking. Mat has both his youthfull athletic ability AND a great deal of experience (centuries worth) .Besides Mat is not above fighting dirty (Anybody remember Mats fight with the hunter when he met olver?The poor bloke is probably still in pain.) Overall Mat is just superior, even without his luck factor.

i gotta say mat is probaly the best figther of them all.

he fought alot more meele battle then rand/perrin himslef, and with his memory he fought more battles then anyone else :/

he started in showing his skilles bs galad and Gawyn

then the high lord of tier (they are pretty good)

he fought coladin (the Aiel leader)

the golam (best fight)

and his last fight was vs 8 mans or somthing like that.

he is fast and skilled, plues he almost naver get angry will fighting, just trying to stay alive.

maybe lan will take him, but no one beside him...

Voted Rand.

Shielded from the Power, after arising from being folded into a chest for a day or so, he still managed to kill one Warder with his bare hands and fatally wound another in the instant before the host of AS with him could wrap him in Air.

I hadn't truly accounted for his basic physical prowess until that bit. It also answered for me Bashere's earlier question of "Why?".

This would make for some good matches but my #1 pick would have to be:

Lan: No body is going to take down Lan. I mean this guy held his own against the bloody blight for several years and that was before he even became a Warder. Add Warder training on top of this and you've got the most well honed killing machine in all of Randland.

Mat: Mat takes second place in the competition just because he's naturally good with a bowstaff and RJ has made a point of mentioning that the greatest swordsman can be taken out by a farmer with a bowstaff. Since most of the other competitors use swords Mat has an advantage. Add the memoreis of 100's of military generals and you've got a man worthy of taking down The Dragon Reborn himself.

Avihenda Although she wasn't on the origional list I'm putting in Avi at #3. Based on pure skill Rand or Galad could probably take her, but she has an advantage in that either of the two would have a lot of trouble bringing himself to kill a woman. Rand's ethics just don't allow it, and Galad's sense of rightiousness probably includes laying down one's life for a woman (prehaps even if she is the one trying to take it).

Rand: Rand is a clear natural with the sword considering that after only a few months of training he was able to take down a seasoned Seanchan blademaster. And don't think for a second that use of the One Power has made Rand slack in his swordsmanship. Remember that he insisted that Asha'man learn swordplay so Rand has not forgotten the importance of pure steel when it comes to battle.

Galad The dandy of the Warder Training Yard himself. It seems that swordsmanship must run in the family because much like his half-brother, Rand, Galad is a clear natural with the sword. Let's face it, this guy was impressing Warders from the moment he arived in Tar Valon. He looses out to Rand, however, because unlike his brother he is yet to take out a seasoned blademaster. On a side note I'd love to see an out trigger/prequel novel about Tigraine because considering the natural skills of her two sons and the fact that she is the only Wetlander ever to be accepted as a Maiden of the Spear I would presume that she must have been quite a bada$$ herself and possibly could have won this competition herself had she been entered.

Rhuarc: The seasoned Aiel warrior comes in at #6 because as we all know any Aiel warrior could take out the average wetlander warrior blindfolded and with on arm, nay make that one leg, tied behind his back. Unfortunally for Rhuarc this contest is full of some very above average wetlanders.

Gawyn: This guy was no slouch in the Warder Training yard himself and he certainly gained a huge feather in his hat when he took out Hammar who is not only a Warder himself but also the guy who trains Warders. However, while that makes for a very impressive resume I would have to say that Galad or Rand probably could have taken out Hammar too if given the chance. Since Gawyn has really done nothing else to establish himself as a great swordsman he is going to have to settle for #7 in the countdown.

Perrin: The biggest thing Perrin has going against him is that while he is an above average warrior he is also a very reluctant one. So while Perrin is in many ways a bada$$ in his own right and is one of my favorite characters I have to admit that he just doesn't have the warrior spirit that characterizes the other competitors. Not that I'd want to find myself facing down the buisness end of his axe.

Tam: I know this will be a very unpopular choice for last place but please hear me out. Don't get me wrong, I love Tam and think he is an awsome character. In his prime Tam certainly would have ranked much higher. But the fact is that Tam is not in his prime and with the exception of Rhuarc and Lan he could never have encountered any of the others while he was in his prime. Moreover, info on Tam in his prime is too vauge even to do a hypothetical situation where he could face the younger competitors while in his prime. All we really know is that Tam was an above average warrior. He did lead the Companions in Illian but a general need not necessarly be the best fighter in the group. And while he did apparetnly hold his own agaist Aiel in the Aiel War he was hardly the only wetlander to survive that conflict. So as it stands Tam has gotten along in years and until Perrin came back to the Two Rivers he was about 20 years out of practice with the sword. Now I'm not saying that I'd ever want to come face to face with Tam in battle, but unfortunatly must bottom out this competition. God willing RJ will remain healthy long enough to write the 2nd WOT prequel and then we should get some more insite into Tam and prehaps his standing can be reevaluated.

Birgitte unfortunalty is disqualified for use of a long range weapon. If she were included she could take out any of the others (except maybe Rhuarc with the Aiel stealth thing) before they ever got near her. Of couse the bow itself can be used as a close rage weapon (kind of a combination club/bowstaff) but we have no inkling as to what Brigitte's skill with close range combat might be.

I had totally forgotten about Rand killing a Warder with his bare hands and wounding another. In only a few moments. That alone brings him up to #2 on my list, counting his internal drive. But I would put my money on Mat. Too quick, too experienced, too sneaky, and too darn lucky!

This would make for some good matches but my #1 pick would have to be:Rhuarc: The seasoned Aiel warrior comes in at #6 because as we all know any Aiel warrior could take out the average wetlander warrior blindfolded and with on arm' date=' nay make that one leg, tied behind his back. Unfortunally for Rhuarc this contest is full of some very above average wetlanders.

[/quote']

not that i think ur wrong, but after tier has fallen, some charcther said (or thought) that lan is equel to Rhuarc, and RJ alst say's that all the time (bettwen the line i meen).

Rhuarc>Avihenda for sure, u cant even compare, even she is impressed by him/

and im sure he take galad with out even trying, they arent even close at there level..

Rhuarc is one if not the best aiel fighter...

not that i think ur wrong, but after tier has fallen, some charcther said (or thought) that lan is equel to Rhuarc, and RJ alst say's that all the time (bettwen the line i meen).

Rhuarc>Avihenda for sure, u cant even compare, even she is impressed by him/

and im sure he take galad with out even trying, they arent even close at there level..

Rhuarc is one if not the best aiel fighter...[/

quote]

yah, my ranking system is mostly designed for entertainment purposes and is harldly an exact science. There are alot of variables to take into account, and depending how each variable comes into play the fight could turn out many different ways. The only reason Avi ranked so high is because many of the other competators would be reluctant to kill a woman. Rand and Galad definilty and probably Gawyn and Perrin as well (though I think she could take the latter two even if they were trying). I think even ol' Rhuarc would have a little trouble bringing himself to kill Avi what with her being a member of his own clan and sept and becuase I seem to remember reading that he still thought of her as a little girl. However, the biggest reason would be that he would be in trouble with Amys if he killed Avi and nothing could assure his doom more certianly than pissing off Amys (LOL).

While I think Aviendha certainly wouldn't be a pushover for anyone on this list, there's no way I would place her this high. For one thing, when I made the thread, I was talking about pure skill, not whether or not one combatant would be willing to kill another. If you go with that, don't you think Mat wouldn't be willing to kill Perrin, or Tam wouldn't be willing to kill Rand? Avi's femalehood shouldn't be a factor in this discussion, at least, IMO.

And, of course, Rhuarc would have no problem killing her if she turned out to be a Darkfriend or something. I don't get the sense that he'd be stopped by any former feeling on his part, or even his wife's anger should he go through with it.

BTW, FYI: Galad is now officially a blademaster, because he beat Eamon Valda in a duel. Valda was an acknowledged blademaster, having won it through a panel of judges; now Galad is as well.

Rand Al'thor, that man honestly scares me. He is a cold blooded emotionless killer. He is well trained in Aiel fighting techniques he's a deadeye shot with a boy and IMO if not for his wounds would beat out Lan. People give Lan a lot of credit, and I agree that he is an amazing fighter.

Rand is harder than Lan now, Rand is meaner. I also thought there was a point where Rand fought Lan to a stand still wound and all? Okay and so what if Lan spent lots of time in the Blight, many Warders do the same thing. He is just a tougher more talented and skilled Warder than your average run of the mill Aes Sedai pet.

Mat second

Verin third... *shiver* she's scary.

Archived