DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Off Screen Fun (Full Book Spoilers)

Luckers

This is not directly in line with this thread, but it was something that wasn't mentioned, which should be occurring that got my attention. There was mention of Myrelle being at the BT. Then there's the storyline between Nynaeve and Rand about using Lan and how Rand should be helping Lan. But there was no mention or POV by Nynaeve about passing the bond that Myrelle has. This has me wondering that nothing has happened yet at the BT, as it looks that Nynaeve will go to the BT, which likely means Rand goes there as well. Or Rand goes and Nyn follows. What ever happens at the BT though, I would think that Myrelle has to survive, for Nyn to kill her after passing the bond. In any event, I still want to see the meeting between Nyn and Myrelle, it could get very interesting.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured that Naeff was bonded to the Aes Sedai that attacked the BT.

I got the impression that Naeff was the warder, - the AS did the bonding.

It would be the other way around for one of the AS that attacked the BT

In this case, Naeff's bonder would have to be either one of Cadsuane's AS or one of those that swore fealty or a Salidar AS that took up the offer from Rand.

This is not directly in line with this thread, but it was something that wasn't mentioned, which should be occurring that got my attention. There was mention of Myrelle being at the BT. Then there's the storyline between Nynaeve and Rand about using Lan and how Rand should be helping Lan. But there was no mention or POV by Nynaeve about passing the bond that Myrelle has. This has me wondering that nothing has happened yet at the BT, as it looks that Nynaeve will go to the BT, which likely means Rand goes there as well. Or Rand goes and Nyn follows. What ever happens at the BT though, I would think that Myrelle has to survive, for Nyn to kill her after passing the bond. In any event, I still want to see the meeting between Nyn and Myrelle, it could get very interesting.

IIRC Nyn tells Rand that Lan will take another 2-3 months to get to Tarwin's Gap. She also thinks that she must get the bond transferred before Tarmai Geddon. Myrelle was with the Salidar AS laying siege to TV. When if ever, did she get to the BT - is she one of the emissaries sent there during Eg's imprisonment  along with Theodrin and Faolian?

IIRC Nyn tells Rand that Lan will take another 2-3 months to get to Tarwin's Gap. She also thinks that she must get the bond transferred before Tarmai Geddon. Myrelle was with the Salidar AS laying siege to TV. When if ever, did she get to the BT - is she one of the emissaries sent there during Eg's imprisonment  along with Theodrin and Faolian?

yes

yes

Then this will make it interesting if the 13/13 trick is being performed at The Black Tower.  I always felt that if this did happen that it would have a better impact if it happened to a character(s) that we know and care about as opposed to some random AS.  Mryelle, Theodrin and to a lesser extent Faolain are some of the few AS that I actually like.

Off Screen Scene 1: Ogiers Are The Same All Over (Except When They Aren't)

Randland Ogier: "Hey, haven't seen you before, nice armor.  Also, crazy long handle on your axe, is it sung wood?  Anyway, we are off to the Great Stump to make long winded speeches."

Seanchan Ogier: "What a coincidence, we MAKE Great Stumps of the limbs of anyone who even thinks about possibly doing something that the Empress, may she live forever, would not like."

Randland Ogier: "Oh. So you are enforcers?"

Seanchan Ogier: "No. Gardeners."

Off Screen Scene 2: Don't Worry About It

Somewhere close to Tear;

Bonded Ashaman: "So anyway, thanks for getting me away from the Black Tower Aei Sedai, there is some crazy evil stuff going on there and......<i>eyes go wide, color drains from face, bladder empties </i>"

Aei Sedai: "You look like the Dark One just tried to sell you an option ARM home loan, and your bond tells me you peed yourself, What gives?"

Bonded Ashaman: "Somewhere to the North someone is wielding so much Sadin that it burns in my mind like the fury of a thousand suns."

Aei Sedai: "So.....We should Travel there and see whats going on?"

Bonded Ashaman: "Nope, not going anywhere near there, don't see the point.  If it doesn't matter, we will hear about it later.  If it does, we don't have time to care."

Aei Sedai: "I thought the exact same thing half a second before you said it, so it was my idea."

Meanwhile, in the Stone of Tear;

<i>Tam Al'Thor exits in a huff </i>

Cadsuane Sedai: "Really! The NERVE! The last time some woolheaded man addressed me with such impudence was, well, NEVER! But still, I am strangely drawn to having my very few flaws pointed out, and he has some finely turned calves, I wonder how he would feel about a longer life and faster reflexes....."

Min is reading some obscurely named history book when suddenly she falls to the ground shaking

Cadsuane Sedai: "Whats wrong with you fool girl?  Man, am I awesome, just in case any of you forgot."

Min: "I just felt Rand in my head, he went full on teh existential crazee far to the North of here, and he has that world cracking sa angreal juiced up to full blast, we have to do something!"

Cadsuane Sedai: "Nah, he'll kill me if he see's me, and I'm sure he won't do anything too insane despite all evidence to the contrary"

Min: "Right then, you are, as always, entirely correct. Nevermind, we should leave him totally alone to do whatever he feels like.  He is the Dragon Reborn after all, and of sound judgement all the time."

Really, despite being one heck of a climax chapter, Veins of Gold couldn't suspend my disbelief.  Every male channeler in the world should have felt Rand crank up the CK, but none of them go see what's going on?  None of the Ashaman or the Forsaken come running when the power goes off like a fusion reaction? They did last time when he cleansed the source.  How about the 4 women who partially reside inside his head? They had no idea what he was doing or his mental state while he did?  I'd expect Min to make someone Gateway her there at knife point (if that would work on an Aei Sedai anyway).  The fact that everyone, friends and foe alike just stayed off screen and let him be gibbering mad while holding enough of the Power to crack the world in half makes little to no sense, at the worst I expected the Forsaken or Ashaman to show up.  I was certain that Elayne, Min, and Avienda would show up to save the day with the power of love and junk, right up until they didn't and the book ended.  I am DYING to know what they were thinking about Off Screen when all of that went down.  

As far as we know no one turned up, i wouldn't be surprised to see rand sitting there at the start of the next book, and a bunch of people show up, well not at the start of the book, perhaps somewhere in the middle after mat, perrin and elayne have their POV's.

Off Screen Scene 1: Ogiers Are The Same All Over (Except When They Aren't)

Randland Ogier: "Hey, haven't seen you before, nice armor.  Also, crazy long handle on your axe, is it sung wood?  Anyway, we are off to the Great Stump to make long winded speeches."

Seanchan Ogier: "What a coincidence, we MAKE Great Stumps of the limbs of anyone who even thinks about possibly doing something that the Empress, may she live forever, would not like."

Randland Ogier: "Oh. So you are enforcers?"

Seanchan Ogier: "No. Gardeners."

Off Screen Scene 2: Don't Worry About It

Somewhere close to Tear;

Bonded Ashaman: "So anyway, thanks for getting me away from the Black Tower Aei Sedai, there is some crazy evil stuff going on there and......<i>eyes go wide, color drains from face, bladder empties </i>"

Aei Sedai: "You look like the Dark One just tried to sell you an option ARM home loan, and your bond tells me you peed yourself, What gives?"

Bonded Ashaman: "Somewhere to the North someone is wielding so much Sadin that it burns in my mind like the fury of a thousand suns."

Aei Sedai: "So.....We should Travel there and see whats going on?"

Bonded Ashaman: "Nope, not going anywhere near there, don't see the point.  If it doesn't matter, we will hear about it later.  If it does, we don't have time to care."

Aei Sedai: "I thought the exact same thing half a second before you said it, so it was my idea."

Meanwhile, in the Stone of Tear;

<i>Tam Al'Thor exits in a huff </i>

Cadsuane Sedai: "Really! The NERVE! The last time some woolheaded man addressed me with such impudence was, well, NEVER! But still, I am strangely drawn to having my very few flaws pointed out, and he has some finely turned calves, I wonder how he would feel about a longer life and faster reflexes....."

Min is reading some obscurely named history book when suddenly she falls to the ground shaking

Cadsuane Sedai: "Whats wrong with you fool girl?  Man, am I awesome, just in case any of you forgot."

Min: "I just felt Rand in my head, he went full on teh existential crazee far to the North of here, and he has that world cracking sa angreal juiced up to full blast, we have to do something!"

Cadsuane Sedai: "Nah, he'll kill me if he see's me, and I'm sure he won't do anything too insane despite all evidence to the contrary"

Min: "Right then, you are, as always, entirely correct. Nevermind, we should leave him totally alone to do whatever he feels like.  He is the Dragon Reborn after all, and of sound judgement all the time."

Really, despite being one heck of a climax chapter, Veins of Gold couldn't suspend my disbelief.  Every male channeler in the world should have felt Rand crank up the CK, but none of them go see what's going on?  None of the Ashaman or the Forsaken come running when the power goes off like a fusion reaction? They did last time when he cleansed the source.  How about the 4 women who partially reside inside his head? They had no idea what he was doing or his mental state while he did?  I'd expect Min to make someone Gateway her there at knife point (if that would work on an Aei Sedai anyway).  The fact that everyone, friends and foe alike just stayed off screen and let him be gibbering mad while holding enough of the Power to crack the world in half makes little to no sense, at the worst I expected the Forsaken or Ashaman to show up.  I was certain that Elayne, Min, and Avienda would show up to save the day with the power of love and junk, right up until they didn't and the book ended.  I am DYING to know what they were thinking about Off Screen when all of that went down.  

Did he actually channel all of the power he was drawing? I do not remember anyone reacting to Rand drawing tons of power, only when he channeled all of Sadin through Sadir was there a reaction felt all over Randland. He has channeled massive power before and the Forsaken did not come running.

I like this thread.  Has anybody found the actual answer as to who Naeff is bonded to and whether or not she is BA?

I don't have my book with me or I'd look it up.

Naeff, "among the first ones bonded" per Rand, is Warder to Nelavaire Demasiellin, a Green.  Nelavaire is not mentioned when Egwene is reflecting upon the BA in Verin's books.  Nalaene Forrell is the BA Egwene mentioned "who - like Elza - was bound to Rand."

I like this thread.  Has anybody found the actual answer as to who Naeff is bonded to and whether or not she is BA?

I don't have my book with me or I'd look it up.

Naeff, "among the first ones bonded" per Rand, is Warder to Nelavaire Demasiellin, a Green.  Nelavaire is not mentioned when Egwene is reflecting upon the BA in Verin's books.  Nalaene Forrell is the BA Egwene mentioned "who - like Elza - was bound to Rand."

Thanks for clearing that up!

Off screen eh?? What is Padan Fain/Mordeth upto??  :D

Fain and Slayer have been dueling probably for the past month or so, pausing every 5 hours to breathe and drink water before continuing  the epic duel.

Really, despite being one heck of a climax chapter, Veins of Gold couldn't suspend my disbelief.  Every male channeler in the world should have felt Rand crank up the CK, but none of them go see what's going on?  None of the Ashaman or the Forsaken come running when the power goes off like a fusion reaction? They did last time when he cleansed the source.  How about the 4 women who partially reside inside his head? They had no idea what he was doing or his mental state while he did?  I'd expect Min to make someone Gateway her there at knife point (if that would work on an Aei Sedai anyway).  The fact that everyone, friends and foe alike just stayed off screen and let him be gibbering mad while holding enough of the Power to crack the world in half makes little to no sense, at the worst I expected the Forsaken or Ashaman to show up.  I was certain that Elayne, Min, and Avienda would show up to save the day with the power of love and junk, right up until they didn't and the book ended.  I am DYING to know what they were thinking about Off Screen when all of that went down. 

I wondered about that. Also, how the Damane on the Raken tried to shield Egwene even though she must have been glowing like the sun filled with saidar.

Really, despite being one heck of a climax chapter, Veins of Gold couldn't suspend my disbelief.  Every male channeler in the world should have felt Rand crank up the CK, but none of them go see what's going on?  None of the Ashaman or the Forsaken come running when the power goes off like a fusion reaction? They did last time when he cleansed the source.  How about the 4 women who partially reside inside his head? They had no idea what he was doing or his mental state while he did?  I'd expect Min to make someone Gateway her there at knife point (if that would work on an Aei Sedai anyway).  The fact that everyone, friends and foe alike just stayed off screen and let him be gibbering mad while holding enough of the Power to crack the world in half makes little to no sense, at the worst I expected the Forsaken or Ashaman to show up.  I was certain that Elayne, Min, and Avienda would show up to save the day with the power of love and junk, right up until they didn't and the book ended.  I am DYING to know what they were thinking about Off Screen when all of that went down.

You have to remember that Avienda is busy doing her wise one testing, Elayne is pregnant and in no condition to go haring off all over the world (especially not with Birgitte standing over her shoulder) and Min's relationship status has changed from following wherever he goes, to  understanding that when Rand starts flailing around with the one power she really shouldn't be around.  Oh and Alannah is used to him jumping around all over the world.  Therefore none of the four women would go to him.

You have to remember that Avienda is busy doing her wise one testing, Elayne is pregnant and in no condition to go haring off all over the world (especially not with Birgitte standing over her shoulder) and Min's relationship status has changed from following wherever he goes, to  understanding that when Rand starts flailing around with the one power she really shouldn't be around.  Oh and Alannah is used to him jumping around all over the world.  Therefore none of the four women would go to him.

Not to mention that they probably couldn't feel his emotions from so far away, only his direction.

I'm pretty sure the Forsaken/Asha'man wouldn't be dumb enough to pop out when that much power was being channeled. That would be SO DUMB, as they could be destroyed without even a teeny tiny bit of effort from whoever was wielding the power. Also, they wouldn't show up directly where Rand sat. If you remember in WH the Forsaken showed up close to Shadar Logoth, but they didn't just pop up right on top of Rand. I'd wager that if they showed up they'd be somewhere at the base of the mountain if they showed up, waiting to Travel up when the danger passed.

It was a fairly quick event, and they may not have had time to show up just yet. I have a feeling we'll see a reaction similar to what you think should have happened in ToM. Someone will probably show up as Rand is sitting there laughing/crying/whatever.

Really, despite being one heck of a climax chapter, Veins of Gold couldn't suspend my disbelief.  Every male channeler in the world should have felt Rand crank up the CK, but none of them go see what's going on?  None of the Ashaman or the Forsaken come running when the power goes off like a fusion reaction? They did last time when he cleansed the source.

So they can...what? Be ground to dust by Rand? Take into account two things....

1. There are two male Forsaken left, and Halima who channels Saidin, right? We know Moridin isn't gonna do anything. Demendrad has spent at least 6 books making every effort to stay the **** away from Rand. And we have no reason to think Halima is in any great rush to go head to hear with Rand.

2. I beleive Moridin, on direct order from the DO, had put the Forsaken on alert because they knew the cleansing was coming.  And out of all the stuff that's happened so far, that seems to be one of the few things the DO reeeally didn't want to happen. Most everything else has seemed to be within his range of "Let em do it, doesn't matter".

How about the 4 women who partially reside inside his head? They had no idea what he was doing or his mental state while he did?  I'd expect Min to make someone Gateway her there at knife point (if that would work on an Aei Sedai anyway).  The fact that everyone, friends and foe alike just stayed off screen and let him be gibbering mad while holding enough of the Power to crack the world in half makes little to no sense, at the worst I expected the Forsaken or Ashaman to show up.  I was certain that Elayne, Min, and Avienda would show up to save the day with the power of love and junk, right up until they didn't and the book ended.  I am DYING to know what they were thinking about Off Screen when all of that went down.

As has been mentioned, Avienda is in the Waste, doing her own thing. Her character being who she is, I doubt she would interupt her trip to Rhuidien.

Min, well, you seem to act as though Rand was going on for hours. The scene went into a lot of detail, but in terms of time it seemed a relitively short amount of time. By the time Min would have rounded up a channeler and convinced them to Travel......and then hop around because the bond does not allow pinpoint accuracy are great distances, the scene would have been over. And with how all over the place Rand has been lately, who's to say she would have really been that concerned. Oh....the guy who just nearly strangled me to death and then almost killed his father is emotionally unstable right now....stop the presses! :P

Elayne....well, pretty much the same thing as Min. With the added fact that we just don't know what the heck is up with Elayne right now. Maybe we'll find out more in ToM.

LONG time lurker, first time I've actually posted though. My first thought when I saw Naeff was, could this be Demandred. I mean male channeler randomly showing up this late in the story when there is only one male Forsaken we know nothing about. Just my thought and I'll go back to lurking.

If Myrelle is at the Black Tower, her grave could be the grave that Nynaeve bends over, full of grief, in Min's viewing.

Did the viewing say it was a man? I don't recall.

If not, this would work. A) It would be hard to find Lan without Myrelle and B) She'd assume Lan has gone crazy due to his bond breaking again.

Could someone point out to me where it says the Rebel AS delegation went specifically to see Taim? Narishma came from Rand, why would they just go merrily off to Taim's BT? Seems to me they'd interpret/refer to, any herd of Ashaman as "BT". So Logain's group would do just as well as any and they had Narishma to show the flamin way..

It seems entirely possible it's only the Pavara Group who've stepped in a midden heap o'trouble.

Could someone point out to me where it says the Rebel AS delegation went specifically to see Taim? Narishma came from Rand, why would they just go merrily off to Taim's BT? Seems to me they'd interpret/refer to, any herd of Ashaman as "BT". So Logain's group would do just as well as any and they had Narishma to show the flamin way..

It seems entirely possible it's only the Pavara Group who've stepped in a midden heap o'trouble.

We know the rebel AS went to the BT. It's said several times in Egwene's PoVs (but I don't recall where). Even if it didn't say specifically "they went to the actual Black Tower, not just to members of the Black Tower," we know that they've been missing for a mysteriously long time, which makes it obvious they went to Taim.

Hasn't the Logain group already bonded AS? That could get entertaining. Say a Salidar AS bonds an Ashaman, who has already bonded an Elaida AS. So there's a chain where an Egwene loyalist compels an Ashaman who, in turn compels an Elaida As (who has an orgasm as a side effect) and thus we set up a great feedback loop for the Egwene loyalist at the top of the heap. 

One of the more interesting things going on off screen is Mat's trip to Caemlyn - I think that according to the timeline and Rand's visions, Mat should've been in Caemlyn for a while when Rand saw him. Has he opened the envelope yet? Probably not knowing Mat.

Next up, was Morgase FINALLY being outted. I've been waiting for that to happen since forever. So its good when Tam gives us the heads up. Rand's reaction was kind of amusing - 'So she's alive huh?' but at least it means that there's one less annoying circle of irritation involving Perrin and his group. On a related note, I'm glad the whole Berelain and Faile thing has ended.

Er, apart from that - I can see Perrin's logical jump being to Caemlyn to meet Elayne and hand over her mother and half-bro to her. I'm very hopeful that Mat meets Perrin, cos those two haven't been together since Tear WAY back in TSR. I've always felt it should've been Perrin who saved Moiraine given his knowledge (compared to Mat) of the ToG. Maybe he'll be the third (wistful thinking).

As for Veins of Gold, it would seem an odd name for the chapter if it didn't involve Elayne, Aviendha or Min - or at least have repercussions on them in the future. After all veins of gold are what they described Rand's love for them as. Well, if not that then perhaps - its named that way just cos of the general theme of love. I don't believe Rand was on DM for very long - perhaps a few hours? Out of which he was suicidal channeling only for a few minutes. He spent most of his time just thinking. Regarding what Brandon said about the Dragon and the land being one, I wonder how this will affect the DO's effects. For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, BS said recently, that the en-mass food spoilage in Bandar Eban was linked to Rand's mood/madness/temperament.

Wouldn't it be nice if they all went back to the Queen's Blessing to have a pow wow like they did way back in the first book.

So true.

Basel Gill and Thom playing stones in the corner. Loial sneaking away from his wife to go read in the library downstairs, Rand hanging out with Min/Avi/Elayne etc...

I'd actually swap Elayne's whole KOd storyline for a chapter or two like that.

Archived