DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Off Screen Fun (Full Book Spoilers)

Luckers

This is for things referenced to be occuring but happening off screen.

To get you started consider that both the Tower and the Rebels send Aes Sedai to the Black Tower. Neither hear back--going beyond when they should have returned.

Yet Rand states that Naeff was bonded by one of the Rebels, and neither Naeff nor Rand show undue concern.

And Naeff is introduced in this book. Is present often. With no paticular reason.

Discuss. (Note: This is just for the above, whatever referenced offscreen action you find interesting is fine).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmm. There is something about Naeff that makes me go--Whoah! What's going on here. I remember when Chapter One was released and everyone was like "Who the hell is Naeff?"

Then we have the fact that something dodgy has happened with the group that went to the Black Tower to bond Asha'men--yet Rand is unconcerned and directly thinks about the fact that newboy Naeff was bonded by that group of Rebels that went to the Tower.

Something's up with Naeff. Mark my words.

At first I assumed Naeff was bonded to one of the sisters that had been with Rand since Dumai's Wells. But now you got me thinking.

Here is another interesting fact. Naeff is a full Asha'man, but if I recall correctly, Rand gave permission only for soldiers and dedicated to be bonded. So whats up with that? Unless Rand himself promoted Naeff when the guy joined him in Arad Doman. Furthermore, if Naeff was bonded by a rebel sent to the Black Tower, and Naeff is now with Rand (both unconcerned by the situation) that implies further contact between Rand and the rebels (which might also explain Rand's sudden view of Egwene as an "Aes Sedai to the bone")

Rand states that Naeff was a member of the Queens Guard in Andor before being ousted by Gaebril (hmm) and he then states that he 'now wears both Sword and Dragon'. So yes, he was probably raised after the bonding.

Furthermore, if Naeff was bonded by a rebel sent to the Black Tower, and Naeff is now with Rand (both unconcerned by the situation) that implies further contact between Rand and the rebels (which might also explain Rand's sudden view of Egwene as an "Aes Sedai to the bone

Actually my thought, based on Rand not being concerned, and that the Aes Sedai state that the delegation has been gone too long, is that something changed just before the end. Note Rand has met Naeff's Aes Sedai. He thinks of her as relatively easy going compared to other Aes Sedai.

So everything was fine to a point--yet nevertheles somethings gone wrong. And Naeff is hiding it--he hasn't mentioned the slightest concern for his Aes Sedai in the entire book.

The obvious is that Taim has made some move--yet this seems weird. Why agree to the bonding if simply to take the Aes Sedai prisoner?

Oooh. Here's a contraversial theory. Elaida's foretelling was that the Black Tower would be rent in blood and fire, and that sisters would walk its grounds. We've all assumed that this refers to the Taim/Logain confrontation, and that the sisters were the bonded attack force--but... rent in blood and fire, and sisters will walk the grounds.

Both Tower and Rebel have sisters in the Black Tower at this time. Neither have returned, and they should have.

What if some confrontation occured (was orchestrated) in the Black Tower.

This is going to turn into a Black Tower discussion very quickly but...

I don't think this really bodes well since Rand has mentioned nothing of the Black Tower, we don't see Logain at all and I think that's a VERY bad sign. So now where trying to figure out if this Naeff is really on Rand's side or not?

@Tud I think the only BA Rand had was Elza and he killed her.

Speaking of off screen where the heck is Loial again?

I don't think this really bodes well since Rand has mentioned nothing of the Black Tower, we don't see Logain at all and I think that's a VERY bad sign. So now where trying to figure out if this Naeff is really on Rand's side or not?

I'm pretty sure Egwene names two Black Ajah with Rand, don't recall the others name.

Okay here is a crazy theory...Maybe Fain is with the Borderlanders..Last time we say Fain he was in Far Madding and the Borderlanders wanted to meet Rand in far Maddding

I know i dont have proof to support this theory but maybe the next time Perrin saves Rand(he has to save him again acc. to Mins viewing),it'll be when fain somehow captures him.

Far-fetched i know...

I don't think that Fain stayed in Far Madding. I don't think he would stay where Rand knows him to be and that huge pack of dark hounds would have made it to Far Madding in a few days from where Perrin saw the tracks. Since we have not heard of them I don't think he is in Far Madding.

I don't think Lan is close to Tarwin's Gap despite what Rand and Nynaeve were saying. Although, we know he isn't in Saldea because I'm sure Ituralde would have had word of him.

I'm wondering what the COuncil of Nine and Steward for the Lord Dragon in Illian, Lord Gregorin, were up to in tGS. The Seanchan are about to attack Illian and very soon Traveling will be wide-spread so that will be an issue.

Off screen, I am wondering where Loial and Logain are.

Loial is off addressing the Great Stump.   Correct me if I'm wrong but this is not the first book from which Loial has be absent.  I know he was absent in TFoH and I don't remember him appearing in TPoD or WH either.   It's too bad, i really enjoy those rare moments when Loial actually picks up his axe and fights.  I mean the bad guys have got to be like "whoa, didn't see that coming"(lol).

As for Logain he did make a brief cameo in either the prologue or chapter 1.  I can't remember which but it was in some of the material that was released early.  I would guess the fact that we did not see him after this means that he is no longer with Rand as it is very unlike him to remain silent.  I'm assuming that for whatever reason he has returned to the BT and is dealing with matters there and that we will be let in on this in ToM.   Unfortunately, Rand does not get the swirls of color when he thinks of Logain so we didn't get a glimpse his activities as with did with Mat and Perrin.

Off screen - where's the gholam that was chasing Mat?

Off the wall theory: The gholam will follow Mat into the tower of ghenjei. There he will get trapped by the snakes who will use his hide as leather. He is so stretchy that maybe his hide will cloth them all and they'll let Mat, Thom, Noal and Moireann go.

Two black sisters (including Elza) with Rand if we believe Egwene's reading of Verin's list.

Loial is speaking at the Great Stump, rousing the Ogier to put long handles on their axes, while Elder Haman does the plugging of Waygates.

There are actually two sets of Elaida loyalists at the BT - one lot were captured by Logain and co, while Pevara went off with another lot to ask for Ashaman to bond.

Have the rebels actually sent off to bond yet? Or merely decided to do so?

Who is Naeff's AS? I can't recall and I've lent the book out.

I recall there being a drawing or fundraiser where the winner would get to be mentioned in the book.  I assumed Naeff was the honorary mention ... though I also seem to recall that the character was supposed to be from the Band ...

I don't know about Naeff, but I know one of the people from tarvalon.net had their avatar name put in (it's an Aes Sedai's name)

Another thing that has me wondering: Rand gets a couple of glimpses with Mat in Caemlyn, but none of those times is Elayne near Mat; so I am wondering if Mat will bother to make contact with Elayne. I am sure that he will stay at an inn and not at the palace, and that he is not foolish enough to bring his entire Band close to the city, but will they (or have they) actually meet? Come to think of it, where is the other half of the Band; I wonder if they've been causing some panic in Andor, because any army these days is cause for concern in Andor. lol

Archived