DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Prologue, Chap. 1-50, Epilogue

JenniferL

So she went to all of those lengths of laying terribly complex and Forsaken-level Compulsion on some idiot that shows up telling her the Dragon is outside waiting to see what's up and she then stands around waiting for Rand to show up and ask is she was dinner plans.

She didn't know that Rand was outside waiting... neither did Ramshalan for that matter. he thought he was to show up, deliver some terms, negotiate a bit, then head back to the gateway.

Aww, but he knew that rand had held the gateway open for him! And that he was waiting for him to return! THus Grendel would know that Rand was waiting for an answer from him!

She also probably knew Rand's whole discussion before sending him in and I doubt that she would have any problems figuring out what Rand was talking about.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Rand's approach really should've made anyone at all extremely suspicious. In Graendal's place I'd have been extremely suspicious.

Its not that Rand's plan could not be extrapolated, or at least, danger recognized - since this whole approach actually doesn't have the base assumption that the opponent is intelligent, its based in the assumption the opponent is stupid, but thinks she's clever.... But it feels like a plot device to get rid of Graendal, so until alternative evidence presents itself, we should assume she's dead.

Its amazing that we still don't know what Demandred is doing. He's either completely out of the way or completely in plain sight

i'm pretty sure graendal had finally worked out his true hiding place and thats why she got balefired out of existence w/o us getting to see her pov one last time

the question of the forsaken's competence and having their skills properly used seems kind of beside the point.  this book seems to make explicit what was constantly being hinted at - the big guy has no real interest in having the forsaken "succeed" and will in fact sabotage any of them that seem to be getting too successful.  

one thing i was left thinking after verin's chapter is that the dark one is a prisoner and the pattern is his cell.  the common wisdom seems to be that the dark one wants dominion when all he really wants is his freedom.  encouraging the use of balefire, corrupting rand, sowing chaos all of this is just an inmate with a nail file sawing away at the bars of his cell.  

I just finished reading TGH and I loved it. The ending has me on edge waiting for the next 2 books, I signed into this website to ask fellow fans a question and I can't make a new forum topic so it seems to fit best here.

Was anyone else jarred by some of the words used by Brandon Sanderson? I loved the book, and he seems to have finished this one almost perfectly, so perfectly in fact that in my first read through, I only found 2 times where I thought to myself "this is not something Robert Jordan would have written.

The first was on page 1  of the prologue actually, at the bottom of the page "a small whitewashed fence contained a patch of grass and shrubs"  and the second on page 82 (second page of chapter 3 The Ways of Honor if pages are different in different books) "her self forged into their steel as surely as the carbon that strengthened them".  In those quotes the words whitewashed and carbon stood out to me.  I have read all the books in the series many times over the years and those 2 words.... jarred me.

Anyways, not bashing the book, I loved it, and not bashing Brandon Sanderson, I think he is an amazing writer and look forward to reading the rest of the series. I was just wondering if anyone else found these words to be out of place, or perhaps something else?

i think one should assume Graendal is dead, up until we get definitive evidence to the contrary, in a following book, as there isn't enough in this book.

the entire rationale behind the theory that she is alive is that we didn't see an actual death scene. and also the desire of fans to have seen an epic battle scene, as opposed to this tame and underwhelming exit. i think it is more our wishing than anything else. while she might just turn out to have escaped, at this point the majority of the evidence hints otherwise.

i think the important point in that scene is less the offing of a Forsaken, but more Rand's lack of sensitivity towards collateral damage. i think it was brilliantly done on his part, and as somebody said somewhere on this forum, it would be cheapening the scene, to have it all been for naught.

I may have missed something, but is there any reason for Egwene to be confirming that Cadsuanes name was not on the list?

In NS Moiraine suspects Cadsuane of being BA because the sisters she was travelling with were Black; she later shares this info with Siuan; then when Egwene finds out Cadsuane is with Rand Siuan passes on her suspicions that she may be black.

Long-time reader of the series and lurker, first time poster here.  Decided on finally creating an account to discuss my thoughts and share ideas with others.

First, this was an excellent work by Brandon Sanderson.  To me, you could easily put this with the other WoT books and feel as if it's all written by the same person.  Not only that, but this was a particularly strong book, I would say on the level of Lord of Chaos.  I wasn't disappointed with anyone's POV's and thought Rand's, Nynaeve's, and Egwene's were done particularly well.  Of course I would have liked more Mat, Tuon, Logain, Black Tower, Moridin, among others, but I expect we'll see far more of them in the next book, similar to how Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight were pretty much split between factions.  I particularly look forward to more Mat next book in big part due to Moiraine, and of course I'd like to see Tuon, or rather Fortuona again.

Here's my thoughts on a few things that happened within the book.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread really mentioning it, but I found Nynaeve and her passages in this book absolutely awesome.  It's funny because when I first started the series (I actually started on Lord of Chaos then worked my way down), I disliked her character.  After a Crown of Swords I began to have good respect for her, and now she's one of my top favorite characters and always enjoy reading her (and my affection for her grew after reading the earlier books and rereading the series countless times). 

What I particularly liked about Nynaeve in this book rather than just in general were a couple of things.  The first was seeing the interaction and interplay between her and Rand.  Even despite everyone being scared/distrustful of Rand, especially after his transformation to "Dark Rand", Nynaeve stood her ground to him, stopped him from doing something he would later regret, and most importantly kept close.  Except for the women that he loves, Rand has very precious few people who care about him just for his own sake rather than for who he is as the Dragon Reborn.  Not even Mat or Perrin seem to truly be his friends anymore since whenever they're with or plan to be with each other, it's only because they have to.  Nynaeve is one of those rare few who genuinely cares about Rand, and it was near heartbreaking and a validation when Rand acknowledged her for that, even in the mindset he was in.

A particularly relevant example of that interplay was Rand balefiring Graendal's stronghold and then the conversation thereafter.  I really liked that Nynaeve really considered what Rand said about needing to be hard and then finding herself grudgingly seeing the merits in his argument rather than just dismissing it out of hand like everyone else seems to do.  Everyone, including Rand himself knows it's not a path that's sustainable for life, but Nynaeve actually did what real world person would do and considered that it's not just a stupid thing to do and a good argument could be made that it can be considered something necessary at times.  Instead of just thinking Rand was being a wool-headed idiot, she began thinking like a commander/soldier/warrior would do.  It was a subtle thing, but very much appreciated in my mind.

And does it seem Nynaeve is being groomed to be the greatest of the new female channelers now?  It gave me that impression not only after all the previous books, but particularly in Winter's Heart and now this book.  Winter's Heart and this book particularly because of her work with Rand: in linking with the Dragon Reborn, cleansing saidin and being the only female to use the Choedan Kal (meaning that the experience probably forced all her potential at the forefront), and now being able to unravel Compulsion, and not only that, but from the best Compulsion user in the world.  Its funny because it seems as if Rand is acting somewhat as a teacher to her since he not only showed her how to look for and unravel Compulsion, but she learned his gateway trick as well.  I really look forward to seeing what happens with her in the two remaining books.

To the Graendal discussion:  I would say that she's dead.  People say that there's always a POV or we always see the Forsaken die to know if they're dead, so this means Graendal's alive, but that's not the case since there's already a precedent with this in Sammael.  We never specifically saw him die, but all the evidence pretty much pointed to it much like the case with Graendal.  Rand really had the perfect plan for her and I doubt she would accounted for it considering this was a far different Rand than who he was before; what she knew of him was someone who was hesitant to fight women and willingly kill innocents, traits that were obviously lacking in the new Rand.  Even if she did account for those traits, it's affording a little too much credit to her planning that she knew he would balefire the place after sending an agent in to scout the place, taking care to use a Compulsion that would wear off conveniently right after Rand balefiring the place.  The fact that Nynaeve didn't sense a gateway being formed for Graendal getting out of there just kills the theory even more.

Chapter 22/23, Veins of Gold, and Rand's discussion with Moridin were riveting.  Rand using the True Power was one of the most surprising things I've read in the series, and has to be one of my favorite parts.  People are talking about how it was stupid for Rand to destroy the Choedan Kal, but what I'm not seeing discussion of that's surprising, is that Rand with the True Power has power equalling that of the Choedan Kal.  In fact as he was thinking in the book itself, the reason why he was easy carrying the Choedan Kal was because he knew he had the new source of power acting as a balance to it.  Just think about the implications of that for a second:  Rand could singlehandedly take on and destroy the White Tower, the Black Tower, the Blight, or even the Pattern itself if he wanted to, without any aid at all.  He's moved on from just being the strongest channeler ever; his power if he were to truly embrace it is near equal to that of a god.  Only Moridin, the Dark One, or the Creator himself would compete with that power.

And that brings me to a question of just how exactly Rand came ahold of this power.  Presumably it's a power granted by the Dark One, and can be revoked at will by the Dark One as well.  Rand has been in similar hopeless situations before (such as when he was beaten and getting tortured by Lanfear, or when he was kidnapped by the Aes Sedai in the box) yet he never used the True Power then.  So it makes me think it has something to do with his link to Moridin that lets him access to this power since he got linked to him in A Crown of Swords.  Plus Rand saw a blurry face right before he used it, so that sort of references the link there.

What I'm wondering is the purpose and reason why Rand would get to use this power.  The One Power drives the Wheel of Time and seems to be the neutral power, and being related to the Pattern.  The True Power is far more potent and powerful, yet it's related to the Dark One.  What if the power source of the Creator was also the True Power, and hence its superiority over the One Power?  What if the Creator had his own power source that could be accessed?  I can't wait to see how all these questions are addressed.

On a tangent note, this reassesses Moridin's power as well.  There's no force or group of people on earth strong enough to stand up against him besides Rand, not even if they created countless number of circles.  It makes you think why exactly he doesn't just lay waste to all the Light's armies and nations right now.  It makes you wonder why he doesn't just destroy the Pattern for the Dark One right now, if he has the same power as Rand with the True Power, since that power is enough to do so.  And how exactly did Lews Therin ever beat Ishmael in the first place if Lews Therin barely knew about the True Power, and with the True Power granting so much?  It doesn't make much sense.  He even got beat by Rand using Callandor, which shouldn't have happened with what we know now.

And to finish up this post, a few very awesome moments were Tuon meeting Rand, Egwene's parts, and especially Tam.  The little Bela mentions were pretty nice.  One of the funniest and most memorable lines I remember was how Rand was thinking how Weiramon was such a pompous idiot and blowhard, then having Lews Therin in his head say "I like him", with then Rand shooting back, "You don't like anyone!"  I was seriously dying weak with laughter and had to put the book down.

Man I really missed WoT.

The impression i got was that the true power is equal in strength to the one power, the only difference being it is more brutal, more destructive. i may be wrong though.

It seems implied that the True Power is superior to the One Power, since Mierin/Lanfear was seeking it out despite having the One Power, and Ishmael/Moridin seems to use it exclusively.  One possible reason could be that it's far potent than the One Power, since its effects are much more extreme/heightened.  It's like the One Power is regular gasoline while the True Power is rocket fuel.  I'll read the passage directly from the book:

Rand closed his eyes as he knelt above Min, then he channeled the strange, unknown force.  Energy and life surged through him, a torrent of power like saidin, only ten times as sweet and a hundred times as violent.  It made him alive, made him realize that he'd never been alive before.  It gave him such strength as he'd never imagined.  It rivaled, even, the power he'd held when drawing from the Choedan Kal.

How mind-boggling that the True Power is so potent and powerful.  Rand essentially has the power of a demi-god with this power, without any aid whatsoever.  How is it possible Ishmael lost with this kind of power?  Lews Therin could have never competed against him, even with his Hundred Companions if he really had this level of power.

Was anyone else jarred by some of the words used by Brandon Sanderson? I loved the book, and he seems to have finished this one almost perfectly, so perfectly in fact that in my first read through, I only found 2 times where I thought to myself "this is not something Robert Jordan would have written.

[...] In those quotes the words whitewashed and carbon stood out to me.  I have read all the books in the series many times over the years and those 2 words.... jarred me.

For me it was Min wearing trousers in the first pages. All in all I felt a lack of "old" words such as breeches and jerkins etc., and a few too modern.

By the second chapter I'd forgotten about all that.

I got jolted out of bliss by how easy it suddenly was to forswear Oaths, and how it is done needlessly. Talene screamed for what seemed like hours, and while her Oaths were to the Dark One that shouldn't be different. Now forswearing the Three Oaths is barely a shiver? Why couldn't all those Aes Sedai simply reswear the Oaths?

Rand closed his eyes as he knelt above Min, then he channeled the strange, unknown force.  Energy and life surged through him, a torrent of power like saidin, only ten times as sweet and a hundred times as violent.  It made him alive, made him realize that he'd never been alive before.  It gave him such strength as he'd never imagined.  It rivaled, even, the power he'd held when drawing from the Choedan Kal.

Again i may be wrong, but i took that to not mean it was more powerful, but more addictive, because holding the power itself is addictive the true power more so than the one power. Addictive substances will make people feel like they have a new type of strength and the true power is just like that. The reason why i think this is because, i remember vaguely in one of the books where moridin aka the watcher was watching Sammael and Greandal, he comments that he could destroy the Wise One's because he doubts they can form true circles, now i must admit this is circumstantial at best, but if it was as ultimate as the Choedan Kal then he would not have a fear of that, because with the Choedan Kal Rand probably could not be challenged by anyone, no matter how big they made their circles, again (im not 100% sure of this) he makes a comment in TGS that with the Choedan Kal he could destroy anything.

A grat book, but got one question

When Rand and LTT became one, did Rand gain LTT skills and memory alsow?

I'd assume so. The way I see it, LTT's memories were essentially always there to be accessed by Rand but the traumatising events that Rand had to endure caused the split personality to happen, taking on LTT's mannerisms and so on. Once Rand has become reconciled with himself and with his power, the LTT persona becomes truly part of him again, as it should have been.

right, i have read the book again and come up with some interesting tidbits,

callandor: there is a possibility that callandor was made intentionally flawed. for what reason i dont know. i suspect it has to do with the final battle.

graendal is definitely dead. otherwise it would be the greatest escape ever done by anyone in WOT

i miss padan fain!

rand must have accessed the true power through moridin. the true power is only given to those who are favoured by the dark one. it's his special gift. It's the essence of the dark one himself.

by the way someone accessing the choedan kal can defeat a person accessing the true power. One is a powerful sangreal. the other is just another different resorvoir of power like the one power. Only more unstable, addictive and destructive. It would have been interesting to have seen Moridin having the kal :P Moridin it seems is a wildcard. i think the dark one should worry abit about elan morin.He's so different from the other forsaken. except for demandred. demandred ofcourse only cares about killing LTT/rand. That might prove to be his ultimate undoing.

The next book will defintely have the 'black tower will be rent in fire and blood and sisters walk it's grounds' scenario. I predict a massive battle between the light and the dark involving ashaman and aes sedai.The white tower i think will house in the end the good ashaman. fulfilling the servants balancing the guardians foretelling by nicola.

egwene might be still in danger.  possibly from messana herself.

gawyn is the strongest blademaster in rand land after lan. I still hate him though with a passion. Like one poster said. I cant like him after that hammar and coulin incident.  And how laughable is his response to min after he helped depose siaun sanche because you have to follow the law. He helped the rebels against elaida. He's a hypocrite and quite possible the most anoying character in the series next to faile and elayne

and finally i am very disappointed with jason saying RAFO when it came to asmodean incident.  Still think it was graendal though

Throught out Rand was remebering things from LTT's time, so I'd belive that he probably does have access to LTT's skills and memories now.  However LTT did say that he failed so Rand still has some figuring out to do.

I reakon he wont be feeling sick when he channels anymore though.  Could that have been the pattern telling him he was going the wrong way.

On a tangent note, this reassesses Moridin's power as well.  There's no force or group of people on earth strong enough to stand up against him besides Rand, not even if they created countless number of circles.  It makes you think why exactly he doesn't just lay waste to all the Light's armies and nations right now.  It makes you wonder why he doesn't just destroy the Pattern for the Dark One right now, if he has the same power as Rand with the True Power, since that power is enough to do so.  And how exactly did Lews Therin ever beat Ishmael in the first place if Lews Therin barely knew about the True Power, and with the True Power granting so much?  It doesn't make much sense.  He even got beat by Rand using Callandor, which shouldn't have happened with what we know now.

I get the feeling the DO needs Rand alive until the final battle, from what I can remeber, twisting Rand, or capturing him was more the DOs goal than straight out killing him. I would guess that the DO needs Rand to break the final seals on his prision.  As much as Rand needs to break and re-create the DOs prision.  Maybe thats breaking and re-weaving the pattern?

A grat book, but got one question

When Rand and LTT became one, did Rand gain LTT skills and memory also?

I'd assume so. The way I see it, LTT's memories were essentially always there to be accessed by Rand but the traumatising events that Rand had to endure caused the split personality to happen, taking on LTT's mannerisms and so on. Once Rand has become reconciled with himself and with his power, the LTT persona becomes truly part of him again, as it should have been.

I remember a part in one book (sorry, not sure which) where the Ogier are extremely shocked and saddened, and also worried, that Rand "doesn't remember" or "doesn't have the memories" - I took this to mean that Rand should be able to remember clearly the past lives of the Dragon(s?) before him - would this extend further into the past than LTT? Will Rand simply know new or forgotten abilities now, or are we likely to see some more "delving into the past" scenes? Also, am I the only one who thinks that at some point Rand, Mat, and Perrin will be linked together with the OP?

I love The Wheel Of Time!

Re. Graendal:  From the evidence given in the book, she's dead.  Whether Sanderson should have repeated Jordan's mistake with another ambiguous death scene ala Sammael is a topic for another thread.  Did she kill Asmo?  No.  There never was a shred of evidence to support that idea.

Re. Rand channeling True Power:  Rand and Moridin are linked.  Moridin experienced all of the same pain that Rand did when his hand was lost.  That's why he specifically denies Mesaana and Demadred's request to rescue Semi.  He's not a big enough man to give her a pass for that just because there's no way she could have known about the link.  The DO is not quite so unforgiving, so he sends SH to spring her.  As a test.  When she demonstrates that her own private pleasures are more important than the DO's needs and specific instructions, the DO is done with her too.  When Semi starts torturing Rand, without knowing it, she's also torturing Moridin.  Between the DO's anger at her for taking "playtime" and Moridin's fear and anger at the pain she's making him feel, Rand gets access to TP.  Can't say absolutely, but I'm not counting on him ever being able to use it again, although there's a possibility that, unless the DO cuts Moridin off from access, Moridin is now a living sa'angreal to True Power for Rand.

The White Tower needed to be united.  The way it happens is very unfortunate.  As shown in the book, the Aes Sedai, and most specifically Egwene learned nothing of any real value from the experience.  They suffered some inconvenience and embarrassment, but rather than use that to re-examine how they operate, they all just come out of it feeling even more smug and self-righteously superior.  Because they've now purged and cleansed their ranks, they feel even more entitled to manipulate the world and everyone in it.  Wrong outcome.

Sanderson didn't make enough use of Dark Rand.  The Wise Ones, Cadsuane, and nearly every Aes Sedai we ever meet should be spending the next book carrying rocks.  They all need to learn that their role is to advise and assist, NOT manipulate.  The new sweet, sunny Rand won't have the cojones for that.  Had he been a trifle more dark, he could have had his alliance with Tuon.  Now, he's just got an even bigger problem with the Seanchan.  We'll have to see whether sweet, and sunny gets him very far with that.

I'm a little amazed that there are two books remaining at this point. With the way this book went, Rand could just casually remember some weakness of the DO, and go thrash him.

About Graendal, I wouldn't believe she was alive short of actual evidence to that effect this point, especially considering that this has the feel of stupid plot device to move story in required direction.

Yes, Graendal should've been very suspicious if she managed to get the story out of that messenger. Trying to play a game and then doing the obvious and compelling the messenger before sending him back seems like a strange risk to take... But like I said, it feels like a plot device to get rid of Graendal. Why she needed to be gotten rid of, and in this way, I'm not sure - but then, if I were writing the story, some of the Forsaken would definitely survive TG unharmed.

As for the Graendal killed Asmodean theory... I've never understood why people thought that. She had nothing much to gain and a lot to lose in attacking Asmodean in the middle of Rand's camp. She'd have no way to know that Lanfear had practically killed Asmodean's ability to channel. If she wanted to kill Asmodean, there should be zero expectation that she would physically go and try to attack the guy. Capturing a channeler or three (so they could link) or getting some Black Ajah, compelling them, and training them in some major attack weaves would be a much more effective approach, with much lower risk.

I think the only people who had reason to attack Asmodean were Shadow Assassins (like Shaidar Haran and maybe.. just maybe Luc), and Taim who may already have intended to try to replace Asmodean - although the amnesty hadn't been announced yet. No one else should be in a mood to go and risk battling one of the Forsaken (heck, its not like Asmodean without a shield wielding balefire wouldn't be a horrible threat to just about anyone, and who could know what a cornered animal might do)

As,mo had known where she was. While he'd thought she must have since left, he did know she was in Arad Domon.

Which is why Rand went through the song and dance about how to beat someone smarter than you. He knew Graendal would have Ram repeat the conversation. Rand led Graendel to believe a possible alliance.

As far as the compulsion goes, it was heavy for sure. Nynaeve was very upset because Rand sent Ram to be compulsed knowing what removing it would do to the man.

They all need to learn that their role is to advise and assist, NOT manipulate.  The new sweet, sunny Rand won't have the cojones for that.

I don't think they can manipulate him now.  The way I see it he's going to be able to delegte properly .  A big thing was his inability to trust all but a few people, I don't see him having that problem anymore.

He knows why he is fighting, and has a fair Idea of where he needs to fight. Now he just has to make sure that everyone else knows where to be and when.  It's also going to be far easier as sunny Rand to get people to follow him, than it was a dark Rand.

Ok for those who say Ram knew Rand was outside waiting, I say not true. Rand led him to believe he didnt have time for it.  A Force of Light pg 568

"Go quickly and return, Ramshalan. I will leave the gateway open until you are back."

And for those who think it was a harmless compulsion. A Force of Light pg 572

"Yes. Rand, he's under HEAVY COMPULSION. There are a lot of weaves here. MAYBE not as bad as the Chandler's apprentice, or MAYBE JUST MORE SUBTLE."  Clearly states HEAVY COMPULSION.

Now page 573

"You sent this man to suffer compulsion, knowing what it would do to him? I wont watch another man squirm and die because of this! Whatever she has compelled him to do, I wont remove it!"

Translated to- only way to remove this heavy compulsion is to kill the man.

Graendal is dead, anyone who disagrees is overthinking this.

I found the thinking about Moiraine done by almost everyone in the book a bit too obvious. Yeah, she's awesome and all but I would've liked the references about her to be more subtle. It would make her return a lot more impactful in my eyes. Ah well, it's a petty complaint but it's there ;P

@NARISMA - Woah, slow down on the caps bro. Here's a link that provides a summary in any case --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gathering_Storm_(novel)

They all need to learn that their role is to advise and assist, NOT manipulate.  The new sweet, sunny Rand won't have the cojones for that.

I don't think they can manipulate him now.  The way I see it he's going to be able to delegte properly .  A big thing was his inability to trust all but a few people, I don't see him having that problem anymore.

He knows why he is fighting, and has a fair Idea of where he needs to fight. Now he just has to make sure that everyone else knows where to be and when.  It's also going to be far easier as sunny Rand to get people to follow him, than it was a dark Rand.

Could be that you're correct.  Let's hope so.  It'd be the first really positive sign in a long time if that's how it works out.

Archived