DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Inverting?

Builder

Inverting is the process of hiding a weave once it is woven. Effectively it is changing the weave so that others cannot see or feel it. There is also reversion, which is hiding the weave as you weave it. Neiher of these hide the sense of channeling, they merely hide the weaves themselves.

Yeah, reversion sounds a bit confusing because it does something else than actually /reversing/ something.

How did this get discovered? It can't remember how the heroes found out about it, or was this something the AS knew about?

he is asking what is inverting actually, as in how is it done.

The word implies that the weave is formed the wrong way round.  For example, if you are building a house, instead of building it from bottom up, you build the roof first.

So lets say a fireball weave was first formed from the inside with a thread of fire, wrapped with some air on the outside. inverted fireball would be formed with the air flow woven first, and then the fire flow second.

that's my take of it anyways.

he is asking what is inverting actually, as in how is it done.

The word implies that the weave is formed the wrong way round.  For example, if you are building a house, instead of building it from bottom up, you build the roof first.

So lets say a fireball weave was first formed from the inside with a thread of fire, wrapped with some air on the outside. inverted fireball would be formed with the air flow woven first, and then the fire flow second.

that's my take of it anyways.

Yes that's it. I am wondering about how they do it, but also what it meant, and what benefits it has for a channeler.

inverting the weave probably came about during the War of Power.  Before that, in the Age of Legends there would be no reason to hide a weave of any kind.  There were even "standing flows" as we've heard where the weave was sustained somehow for the common person to use (with certain ter'angreal if I understand that correctly).

After war and battle came into the Age of Legends, the channelers probably saw the need to get the one-up on their enemies who could also channel, and so then inverting happened.

When Rand planted Callandor in the floor in the Stone of Tear, he said there were unpleasant surprises for anyone who tried to take it.

I look back at this and think any male who can see weaves (channel) would be able to pick apart his traps as soon as they saw them.

Does this mean Rand inverted the weaves on the traps around Callandor?

They would not really be traps if say, Sammael or one of the other male forsaken turned up to take Callandor, and could see the weaves of his traps tied off and waiting.

Or is there something i have missed in regards to setting traps with the power?

Are Rands traps around Callandor the first example of inverting weaves in the series?

as soon as asmo teaches him to invert he goes back and inverts them, I'd assume that it wasn't taken at this point because, firstly the forsaken assumed he had it with him (they would never give up that power) and secondly he's just THAT pro, and lucky, or not lucky if you look at it in another way, cos then he'd never have 'lost' to the seanchan.

as soon as asmo teaches him to invert he goes back and inverts them, I'd assume that it wasn't taken at this point because, firstly the forsaken assumed he had it with him (they would never give up that power) and secondly he's just THAT pro, and lucky, or not lucky if you look at it in another way, cos then he'd never have 'lost' to the seanchan.

I dont know about that, he planted Callandor in the Stone of Tear in front on a hell of a lot of people, including all the high lords of Tear, some of whom are plotting to kill Rand.

I would think the DO or one of the Forsaken would have their eyes and ears watching his every move inside the Stone, and we know that Lanfear was inside the Stone at this time as well.

Just seems to me like he would have inverted the weaves as one of his "i didnt know what i was doing till it was done" moments.

• 3 weeks later...

It is stated that as soon as Asmo teaches him how he went back to the Stone and inverted his weaves.

when is that said? quote please

It is stated in book 5 i read it the other week cant remember the exact chapter

What purpose would shooting balefire at Callandor serve? Rand uses the damn thing to block balefire at one point.

the balefire wasn't blocked, it was split.  and you really think an inanimate object has any power of its own without the wielder?  you must be joking.

lets talk about a tomb full of tressures and boobytraps.  lets assume that a person has a nuclear bomb and can teleport at will to any place.  lets say the person teleports right to the middle of the tomb and plants the bomb and teleports out again.

what happens?  oh yeah, everything blows up, tomb, tressure, boobytraps, all blow up.

what is my point?  my point is that greed leads to failure.  if the person (eg forsaken) didn't want the tressure (eg callandor), he would have been able to do far greater damage.

dumbledore defeated the previous owner of the elder wand with his own power.  it is not the wand that makes him powerful, but he himself.  same thing with voldemort, the wand didn't make him any more powerful either.  now you can argue about how ownership of the wand didn't transfer and blah blah, but at the end of the day it comes down to this:  he who fights on his own merits will always triumph.

What purpose would shooting balefire at Callandor serve? Rand uses the damn thing to block balefire at one point.

you really think an inanimate object has any power of its own without the wielder?

lets talk about a tomb full of tressures and boobytraps. lets assume that a person has a bomb and can teleport at will to any place. lets say the person teleports right to the middle of the tomb and plants the bomb and teleports out again.

what happens? oh yeah, everything blows up, tomb, tressure, boobytraps, all blow up.

The things blown up by the bomb would be blown up regardless of whether or not they were being held, or used. So Callandor should be destroyed by balefire or not regardless of whether it is in use, much as a piano will be destroyed by a bomb whether or not someone is playing it. By your flawed reasoning, that is.

the point about blowing up was that, the only reason it wasn't done is because the forsaken are greedy and treasured the 'mighty' saangreal too much to dare even think of destroying it.

learn 2 read properly.

Archived