DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Football World Cup 2006

Majsju

I seem to have now recovered from the devastation that gripped me yesterday. I do feel very proud to be on Aussie on the world stage today. Great game of football. We exceeded expectations and held our own. It was a very scathing way to lose. But there are always crap calls in every sporting match. It’s just a shame that crap call came right on full time.

I was in Norton Street watching the game. For those who don't know, Norton Street is kind of like the Italian Quarter of Sydney. there were a great many Italian supporters there as to be expected. One thing I did not expect was the way the Italian supporters jeered and condemned Aussie supporters as not real football supporters as many of them have only been watching the sport for a short time.

It seems odd to me that these "hardened" supporters are so against welcoming new supporters to their sport. People were criticised for not understanding specific rules and ridiculed when they required explanation. My question is whether this is common among football fans. I know there are people who have claimed I am unworthy to be a fan of the beautiful game since my country refers to football as soccer. It seems to me that most other codes of football are very welcoming of new supporters and relish the exposure given to their game. Is it the intention of European soccer fans to maintain a level of exclusivity for their sport? Or is it simply that they are concerned that the boys from the southern hemisphere are only a few years away from knocking them off their perch?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the end Leaf, what can you expect from europeans??? They are lowley peasants who came to Australia for a better life, and got it, yet live off the faded past glories of the 'mother countries". For the record, all of my Italians mates, and their whole families where all going for the socceroos, cos they are aussies!

Case in point about "these people". I was walking through Martin Place last week when two Greek looking blokes said "jump on the bandwagon" to me as I had a green and gold jacket on. I said to him "excuse me, did you just say what I thought you said". He denied it of course. Coward. How can you jump on the bandwagon when there hasnt even been a scooter to ride before???

Guest Majsju

Leaf, we only alienate "fans" who refuse to learn the proper name of the sport. Anyone calling it soccer instead of football is clearly not a true fan :lol:

Impressive of both Brazil and France yesterday, for slightly different reasons. Brazil is not even playing on 50% of what they can play, and still walks away with a comfortable 3-0. Granted, they had good help from Ghana, who had extremely bad finishing. And it didn't take long for Ronaldo to get his record. 15 goals, and he's now alone as best scorer in the history of the World Cup.

France proved that they do know how to play football, something they didn't quite convince anyone of in the group stage. But facing a quality opponent, they stepped up the game quite a few notches, and dominated most of the game. Brilliant goal by Ribery, and Zidane seems to have realized that every game now might be his last, so he performed better than he's done the entire season.

There are many different codes of "football" Maj. Football can describe Rugby Union, Rugby League, Australian Rules, Gridiron, Soccer, Gaelic, the list goes on. Refusing to learn the proper name? That's a crock! Just for that I'm going to call it That Game the Socceroos Play! :twisted:

Guest Egwene

Leafy... just ignore people like those in Norton Street. There are always some that use other peoples achievement (there teams in this instant) as if it was their own. Obviously, you can expect a certain amount of good natured ribbing from any long time fan, but most real football fans whilst supporting their own team will also give respect where respect is due. I look forward to see what Australia comes up with at the next World Cup :P

Didn't I say something about Argentina kicking Germany out of this tourney??

Interesting matchups for the quarters...I think Italy is the only clear cut winner. Brazil should be able to clobber France but something about that particular matchup makes me nervous...

Can't wait!

Guest Majsju

Nervous? Didn't know you were from Brazil :D

Argentina should not have any problems with Germany if they can reach their top level. But the game against Mexico showed that even Argentina can be shaken.

England has a great chance against Portugal, now that Deco is suspended, and it's still not certain Ronaldo will be 100% fit.

Italy should manage to handle Ukraine, but I don't think it'll be easy for them.

Brazil is favourites against France, but it's still a very open game. France is slowly finding a functioning game, 3-0 against Spain is impressive. While Brazil have not impressed so far. They have more to give, but if France improves even more, Brazil must perform far better than they have so far. I hope they won't, it would be great to see Zizou end his career with another gold medal.

I don't have time to post very much but I felt I had to say a few things

-Sweden's second goal against England was GREAT, and the funniest I have seen since this little beauty here if only because it was in the last minute when the comemntators were saying how the 38(?) year curse had been broken! UNLUCKY :D

-Please, surely England can't win it. It just can NOT happen. They have been utterly rubbish but have managed to win anyway. If they do win then I will be forced to leave the country. Not only have I said to all my mates that I'd buy them drinks all night if England won but we still haven't heard the end of 1966!

-Very disappointed with Henry's "cheating" last night. He's so good he doesn't need to do that sort of thing.

Good night

Have been watching most of the games in the world cup and really enjoyed it. Got Tinkerbell into it and is now in love with Michael Owen (and is heart broken he is now not playing) (she's 6)

I think the thing missing from Englands game is Passion. Watching a lot of the other teams you can see the passion in their eyes before and during the match...england look like they're having 'another day at the office'. It's really disappointing. They don't seem to be as quick on the ball as other teams they do not make them easy to watch in fact sometimes it's painful.

I was anazed when Beckham was physically sick after his free kick (Sven didn't see) and was not taken off till just before the end. In an interview after the match he admitted that he didn't feel very well before the match...but didn't tell Sven...I'd question his motive.

I'm really sorry Australia went out, they play with all their heart and you were the underdogs and I like to see the underdogs coming out on top.

Guest Majsju

Extremely bad luck there for Argentina. They should have won, they completely dominated the midfield. Until that unfortunate injury came. Again, this is not the keepers World Cup...

SERIOUSLY!!!! How did Argentina lose that game? I guess the coach was not expecting to use a sub on an injured keeper?

Amazing! This is another example of how invaluable it is to be the home team I guess...

That just means the Italians will knock them out in the next round!

I saw that match and man do the Argentines borderline cheat the whole time, if that is not roughousing nothing is <.<

It was almost fair that the German player Miroslav Klose knocked the keeper out of the game with a knee blow, with all the fouls Germany had to take.

Also I loved how Odonker monkied around with the Argentines, anyone see the backhand slap he gave Sorin when doing a fast spin, and made it seem as if it were an accident, hehe.

Very violent game from both sides today though,.....

PS: Also Maj remind me never to take your advice when I bet, you proclaimed that Sweden would win against Germany, they didn't. You cockily almost assured the win to Argentina who also didn't win,...... Just out of curiosity who do you think will win the Germany vs Italy match?

YES! :-)

and Argentina for sure are bad losers - they went mental and kicked the German payers and staff!

Now its Italy - I hope they don't remember that awful game they played against them in spring - well time to make up for it.

And my nephew (8) supports Brazil, I can’t believe it!

And all but I think 4 German players are under 30!

If these guys win this - it's going to be more important to Germany all in all economy and the rest then the last elections - this is going to give everyone in the whole country a boost.

Guest Egwene

Germany have a history of starting not too well and getting better as a tournament progresses, but there is also a history of loosing the next game after a penalty shoot out. So whilst I had Germany this far, I am sitting on the fence for the next one where betting is concerned.

Still hoping to see England versus Germany in the final...

Guest Majsju

DS, you should know that 99% of football fans will bet on their own team to win, even when the odds are far worse. Sweden and Germany are quite equally matched when both teams play on a normal level.

Argentina should have won, but you can't count on the keeper getting injuried. Not even in this WC, where someone seems to have placed a cure on keepers in general. Was this the 4th or 5th to go out injured?

Add to that some horrible coaching. At least Pekerman had the decency to take the consequences of failure, unlike the moron "coaching" Sweden.

As for the fight afterwards, footage reveal that it was Borowski, a german player who started it.

It's starting to look better and better for England, Deco and Costinha suspended for Portugal, Ronaldo injured and even if he can play he won't be 100%. Meanwhil Gary Neville appears to be ready to play again, which is a major improvement.

Which probably means England will lose, the more favourites they are, the worse they perform.

Brazil vs France...The key is running. Both teams have been walking their way so far. I think that the best chance France would have would be to play Saha and Trezeguet from start, and let Henry ponder his performances on the bench the first 60 minutes.

The best chance for Brazil is of course to get Ronaldhino going. He hasn't done anything so far. If he and kaka can find a working cooperation...Then Brazil can be fun to watch again.

well for the fight - everything I have read - true that is mostly German media but still Borovski wasn't involved in the actual fight at all.

The Argentineans wanted to go for him - because every time Germany scored a goal the As buhhed at them, so Borovsiki asked them to shut up.

When it was over they went for him but grabbed Mertesacker instead, he was kicked several times in his balls as well as in the legs and got scratches all over his thigh

It was just no far play on the side of A - I can understand they are disappointed, I have been in competitive sport myself, but that is just not right.

As for them losing because of the injured keeper – I don’t think that played a big role, Klose’s goal was good don’t think the No 1 would have gotten it either.

And the rest of the game neither of the keepers was under much pressure since both defence systems worked well.

Archived