DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Football World Cup 2006

Majsju

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First round is almost over!

Spain just knocked out the Saudi's with their B team! I love that move! Spain should walk through to the next round into a matchup with Brazil! They need all the group harmony they can get!

Maj, I think the Ronaldo goal would be an issue if they were not playing Ghana next. Ghana is good...but I expect the Brazilian play to step up and with that at least three goals (one of those being Ronaldo's).

Yea, it is hard to say that the Italian's are ever "underdogs" but they do have a young team...

No offense Aussie's but the Italian road to the semi's seems to their advantage. I am starting to learn that if I "tivo" any Aussie game to skip to the last five minutes however...

Guest Majsju

Spain has looked very impressive so far. But, histpry does play an important part in the World Cup, and Spain's history is a list of failures. Though this team is good enough to change that, as long as they don't start to think about it too much.

As for Italy having a young team, there's a few quite experienced player in the mix, nesta, 30 yo, 73 caps, Cannavarro, 32 yo, 91 caps, Del Piero, 31 yo, 72 caps, Inzaghi, 32 yo 48 caps...

And there are few really young players, the one that stands out is De Rossi, 22 yo, 15 caps.

Guest Majsju

So, group stage finished, and the real deal is about to begin.

Argentina - Mexico

If Argentina plays the way they did against Serbia, they will have no problem beating Mexico. The team has looked so strong during the group stages that it takes a miracle for Mexico to get a win.

Argentina to go through.

Germany - Sweden

Totally unpredictable. Germany gets a massive advantage from being the hosting nation. But that can also turn into a disadvantage, they have everything to lose, and when the nerves kick in, it can be tough to play football. At the same time, if Sweden can find the play they had the 2nd half against England, Germany will have serious problem. I would not be too surprised to see the game be decided on penalties.

Sweden to go through.

England - Ecuador

I think England will take it, but not without problem. Ecuador impressed in the group, and they rested their best players against Germany, so they will be fresh, while England has Own out from injury, and maybe Neville and Ferdinand as well. And though Rooney looked good against Sweden, he just returned from injury.

England to go through.

Portugal - Netherlands

Two great teams, but both seemed to still be looking for the final push to get their game together. Netherlands stood up well against Argentina, and actually had more possession. If they can do the same here, they're facing a defence that's a bit easier to deal with. I can't figure Portugal out, they have massive amount of talent, but have looked quite uninspired most of the time.

Netherlands to go through.

Italy - Australia

If Italy can play at their normal level Australia won't stand a chance. But Italy have had three tough games, and defeated two really good teams. That might cause a reaction. Their game against the US also showed that Italy still suffers from their bad habit of being quite arrogant when playing a weaker opponent. Australia has exceeded every expectations, done better than anyone believed they would do, so they can be relaxed, with nothing to lose you can just enjoy the moment and do your best.

Italy to go through.

Spain - France

France finally found the way they are supposed to play in the final game against Togo, great speed, attack with 3-4 players, quick passing. If they can keep that they should be able to win. Question is though, can they keep that speed with Zidane back on the team? Spain easily won their group, but the opponents were not really a good test of where this Spanish team actually stand. But there is a lot of quality in the team, and as long as they can keep all previous failures out of their minds, they have a good chance.

France to go through.

Brazil - Ghana

Brazil has slowly grown better and better, and now a certain Ronaldo has started to score again. Ghana impresssed in the group, but Brazil should be a bit too difficult. Especially since Ghana has their best player Essien suspended. He would have been needed now.

Brazil to go through.

Switzerland - Ukraine

Switzerland was a big surprise, they're supposed to be building a team for Euro2008, but they have already found a game that is very functional. Ukraine managed to beat the weaker teams in their group, but their result against Spain doesn't bode well for another game against a tough opponent.

Switzerland to go through.

being an aussie i have to disagree with you on the australia - italy match up. i wasnt that impressed with italy's performances in the group stages, and i think australia are in with a really good chance, and as you said, there's no real pressure on the aussies, they went to the cup not being favourites, and everyone expected them to go pretty badly, but italy came in as one of the favourites, and so far havent performed.

I think Argentina will win the cup.

I agree - penalties to decide sweeden/germany with sweeden through.

i think the ecuador england match will be a great contest - england through

portugal\netherlands - another great game, as you said, they need that final push. again im with you - netherlands

I have to disagree with you on france v spain, from what i saw of spain in the group, i was really impressed, i know their group wasnt the strongest, but i still think they will walk away with the win.

I think brazil will win against ghana fairly easily.

Again, i agree with you, i think switzerland shouldnt have too much trouble with ukraine.

YES, great game - Germany is getting better and better - never expected it of them a few weeks ago.

Just annoyed with the BBC commentators - when England struggles against Sweden - Sweden is a great football nation - when we have them under control from min one - they played bad, come on - face it that the English team is not up to the expectations the nation has, especially after Owen's injury.

Guest Majsju

Gah, horrible game. It's one thing to lose against a better team, it's a completely different thing to lose because you're not even trying. I've rarely seen Sweden have such uninspired attitude. It's quite significant that Larsson missed a penalty, something I haven't seen him do in ages.

Only good thing about the result is that it gives at least a chance of the coach getting fired.

And it was definitly not a red card on Heinze in Argentina - Mexico.

Guest Majsju

And Oh my! What a freak goal by Maxi Rodriguez! Best goal in WC so far, simply amazing.

And other teams should be worried to see that even when Argentina is having a wuite bad day, they still control the game pretty well.

sorry for Sweden - I was all on there side in the group games :-)

But you must admit that the German guys were playing some great football today - The top two scorers of the tournament are German now - and the way the midfield passes them the ball was just beautiful.

I really thought they were no good after the Italy game a few month ago - but today great, we will see if it works against Argentina, at least they got tiered today :-) Mexico gave them something to work!

Guest Majsju

Germany wasn't that good, Sweden made them look good by performing like Real Madrid on valium. And the first booking on Lucic was such an obvious dive that it's not even funny.

But nothing bad that doesn't bring some good, hopefully this means cleaning out some old players and make room for the next generation. There are a few major talents just waiting to get in.

Crucial: Aussies have to score first and put pressure on the Italians. Under pressure they can crumble like savoiardi in a latte!!! Italy are so structured that they will lead 1 nil and close the game out. Against quality like that, we have to make them work. With Gattuso et al, they have great quality, but we have nothing to lose, so will be dangerous.

Besides, never underestimate ANY Aussie sporting team, no matter what. As Leaf said "This is what we do"...

Guest Majsju

Oh my, Portugal - Netherlands turned out to be a real scandal match. 4 red cards and 16 bookings, what's that all about? And while some of them was really deserved, the ref was way to happy to pick up his cards, it was impossible for Netherlands to build any kind of momentum in their game.

But what I don't get is what Van Basten was thinking. If you need a goal, put in the man who knows how to score. But Van Nistelrooy stayed on the bench, and that joke Kuyt played instead.

Going to be really tough for Portugal against England now, Deco and Costinha suspended, and Ronaldo didn't look to good when he limped off after two horrible attacks.

England - Ecuador must have been the worst game of all this tournament. England had one player who performed on something that was at least close to a decent level, Rooney. The rest ran around like headless chickens and had no creativity, no will, no structures in their game. Good thing for England that there's still some magic left in Beckham's right-foot, that freekick was lovely taken.

Guest Majsju

Collina is retired, unfortunatly.

Often the bad ref's is a result of FIFA's policy that all participating nations also is invited to send ref's. Often the smaller nations send ref's who are not up to the challenge. But this year we have Graham Poll, from England, the ref in Sweden - Germany was from Brazil, the ref in Portugal - Netherlands was from Russia...Not exactly small football nations.

Ahh well, thats what happens in sport.

First, let me congratulate the Azzurri for the way they played after losing a defender. It was a harsh interpretation of the law. I thought the Italians defended well and looked dangerous on the counter attack, so well done and good luck.

I thought our boys were phenomenal. Although we played better on the night, Italy looked the better team at times. Well done to you all for once again showing that famous Aussie spirit of mateship and pride in each other. The whole tournament was a success and we are proud of you all.

Lucas Neill, you have been the form defender of the Tournament, keep your chin up high, just because a bloke chooses to dive like Jaques Cousteau and the wanker referee commits one of the more disgraceful gaffes of World Cup history, doesnt mean you are in any way responsible for his ineptitude.

In the end, this game illustrates why soccer has never really captured the hearts of Australia before this. The enforcement of injury time is susceptible to the whims of a ref who has to watch the game AND time the correct injury time period. The propensity for players to "simulate" fouls to gain unfair advantage. The effect that a single man can have on the game, without using technology to make sure decsions are correct. How many countries this WC have had their hopes crushed due to the ineptitude of officials.

If I wanted to be cynical, I could say that FIFA stands to make more money if Italy are successful rather than Australia in the World Cup. There is certainly a precedence for smaller nations to feel aggrieved by the way they are treated compared to the major football nations.

Anyway, I hope Italy do well. It really makes me angry when dud teams like England are still there and we are not :wink:

Archived