DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Football World Cup 2006

Majsju

Guest Majsju

The result and the game was quite typical for Brazil in the groupstages. Slow pace, noone really interested in putting in too much effort, or risk getting injured.

But if Australia had not stood up in the beginning of the game, and Brazil had got, say two early goals, they might have found the joy to start playing the way they can play.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are right Maj. But if the ref doesnt allow you to play, there is no way to really build continuity and pressure. I reckon about 20% of the "fouls" we conceded were when we had possesion. I lost count of the amount of times Kafu, tripped and bumped us while making the tackle. Nothing, that kraut gives them the free kick! What annoys me is that they have been given a mandate to protect the big teams.

Guest Majsju

38 years, and England Still can't beat Sweden. And frankly, Sweden should have won the game. Two balls hitting the bar, robbed of a penalty...

Tough game against Germany next. Always hard to play the hosting nation, but far from an impossible task. Especially not when Larsson scores again :D

The U.S. v Italy game was shameful! The first red card for the U.S. was well deserved. The second? The second I have seen over and over again played out as only a foul! Arenas said it correctly when he stated, "the 'non-premire' teams get ripped with more calls!!!!!

And what is England's deal with the Sweden? Too bad about Owen... He has not been playing to his potential but having him on board could have paid off in the quarters!

Oh, and whoever corrected me about the "round of death," I completly agree. I was simply repeating the media with that statement. I think Group E has been by far the most competetive and still unpredictable group!

As for Sweden...you guys have a match against the host nation Germany FOLLOWED by a possible match with Argentina? Well at least you went further than the French are probably going to go!

I can't wait for the Czech v. Italy game AND the Mexico v. Portugal game!

Maybe the U.S. will get lucky...

Guest Majsju

May 22nd 1968. That was the day England managed to beat Sweden. 38 years and counting :lol:

SOB, the US 2nd red card was "just" a yellow. Only, the player already had a booking, so there was no other choice than to send him out.

France should get their act together and beat Togo. I think it might benefit them to get a game without Zidane, he was sharp the first half against Switzerland, after that he's just looked more and more tired. There's a reason he quits after the WC, he's too old.

Group C was the group of death on paper. And looking at it, CIV stood up well against both Argentina and Netherlands, with some luck they could have gotten some points out of those games. And Serbia...Their best defender was suspended the first game, then he AND the second best defender got injured before the game against Argentina. Quite a blow, when you can't call in extra players.

Serbia's president has threatened the players that they'll be heavily fined if they don't perform in the final game :lol:

Guest Majsju

Normally Australia shouldn't be a match for Croatia. But if Croatia comes with the attitude they showed against Japan, they're in trouble, bigtime. It's a bizarre team, they can beat the best and lose against the worst, depending on the mood of the day.

Quite a different game for Australia, so far they've played against technical teams, now they're facing an opponent who can play even more physical than they do themselves. Which of course opens opportunities for Australia, if I had been Hiddink I would have the team hardtraining freekicks, Croatia have a tendency of giving away plenty of those.

As for Kewell, I saw the situation as 50/50. Maybe a bit harsh to take up the card, but not so horribly wrong that I would lose any sleep over it. It's a situation where I think most people would not have reacted if it hadn't meant suspension.

Guest Majsju

SOB, if you're gonna cheer for England, I recommend you start looking for a back-up team already now, England has not exactly impressed anyone so far, and I'd be surprised if they got more than two more games in the tournament.

Ghana seems to get brazil in the next round, and with Essien suspended it'll be bye-bye for them.

Maj, your probably right but what is the fun in pulling for a powerhouse like Brazil?

Maybe I will go for the Italian...they are a nice unofficial spoiler? No, no...they are too much of a traditional powerhouse! Maybe Spain! They are a fun team to watch...

AaaaaaaHhhhhhhh.....whhhhhhhyyyyy U.S. why? Best team ever...yea right. The dream of soccer/futbol ever catching on in the U.S. is rapidly diminishing in the once hopeful eyes of this fan. Is there any end to our exceptionalism?

Oh..well, time to check out the Ronaldinho game.

Guest Majsju

Italy was one of the favourites before the tournament started, so that'd hardly be "unofficial".

Cheer for the Netherlands instead, they need all the support they can get :D

Perhaps this was the best US football team ever looking at the players. But you need a good coach to perform, Arena is a joke.

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE!!!

lol! WHAT A GREAT GAME! Well, at least it was entertaining in a very frustrating kind of a way.

Answer me something, Maj. Is it just me or is the referee talent at this World Cup sorely lacking? I mean the officials on the sideline, the refs they're all bollocksing it up. One guy in that Croatian side just got three yellow cards in one half of football. 3 yellow cards???

Guest Majsju

Croatia - Australia was nothing short of a scandal. Poll is supposed to be one of the best refs in the world, but this game I would have performed better. Ok, that he missed the handball that should have given Australia a 2nd penalty, that happens. Happened to Sweden against England, and anyone can make a mistake. But to miss that a player is already booked???

I would not be too surprised if this was Poll's last international game.

And I wonder if I'll get any sleep tonight, my neighbour is from Bosnia, guess if he's happy and partying now... :lol:

And historical goal today: Ronaldo's two goals against japan means that he now equals Gert Müller for most goals in the World Cup, 14. Might be dangerous for Brazil though, everyone wants him to get another goal so he can have the record for himself, and there is a slight risk the players will focus too much on setting him up for the goal instead of finishing themselves.

Let me tell you, Sydneys CBD is buzzing. I had two beers already, have a grease stain from when I jumped on a bus, and split coffee on my shirt!!!

There are groups of people in green and gold, roaming the streets, their chants echoing through the high rise canyons! Car loads of Socceroo supporters honking horns, the Boxing kangaroo streaming in the gentle zephyr carrying the sweet smell of success!

You are right Maj, Poll was a-poll-ing! Both teams were hard done by! Kalac's howler was pathetic!

who cares what the odds are, its gonna be an absolute blinder. Italy havent been playing the greatest. we just need a decent ref for the match. imagine all the italians in sydney that are gonna turn out, the atmosphere on tuesday morning is going to be insane!!

Archived