DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Outrigger Novels: Could somebody tell me what was said about them at JordanCon?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this would by Brandon's vision, based on no more than a single sentence by RJ.

How can you possibly make that statement with any sort of authority?  Do you know what's in the notes RJ left?

I mean, I agree with you that I would not want to see the books written if there's nothing of RJ's vision there to guide Brandon.  BUT, there's no way that we as fans can make that assessment.

this would by Brandon's vision, based on no more than a single sentence by RJ.

How can you possibly make that statement with any sort of authority?  Do you know what's in the notes RJ left?

I mean, I agree with you that I would not want to see the books written if there's nothing of RJ's vision there to guide Brandon.  BUT, there's no way that we as fans can make that assessment.

I don't wish to sound harsh, but you really should have read the complete statement before posting.

In response to Kath's comment stating that she thought there was nothing more than an outline, i stated;-

"if thats the case i don't really think its right to publish the outriggers. aMoL was RJ'd vision, and well documented... this would by Brandon's vision, based on no more than a single sentence by RJ."

How can i possibly make that statement with any sort of authority? I can't. But then, i didn't.

As i said somewhere else... i agree with Luckers that it would be Brandon's work, not RJ. But i'm not ready to decide if it would be desirable or not.

I think that this discussion will have to wait untill we read aMoL.. Then we will have a clear vision about Brandon's writing in WoT. If we like it, and both Brandon and Harriet are willing to, then i would agree with the outriggers and would enjoy reading them.

Just have to keep in mind that it would be another person writing on RJ's world. ^^

wikipedia:

In recent years, Frank Herbert's son Brian Herbert and author Kevin J. Anderson have added to the Dune universe, stating that they in part used notes left behind by Frank Herbert and discovered over a decade after his death. Brian Herbert and Anderson have written two prequel trilogies (Prelude to Dune and Legends of Dune) exploring the history of the Dune universe before the events within Dune, as well as two post-Chapterhouse Dune novels that complete the original series (Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune) based on Frank Herbert's own Dune 7 outline.

+: http://www.dunenovels.com/dune7blog/page21.html

It was pretty obvious at JordanCon, that both Harriet and Brandon are reluctant to water down Jordan's legacy. They don't want endless sequels and spinoffs generated from his notes.  Obviously, Tom D. would like to see them written, because he knows there is an audience for it, and because he already has a deal with the Jordan estate regarding the prequels and the Infinity of Heaven series. But I don't think we can really speculate on whether or not we'll see any of the prequels or outriggers published, until after Book 14 is published. I think much of it depends on how much is completed and whether Brandon feels able to tackle another project like this again. I keep reminding myself that Brandon is on loan to us for awhile, and we have to give him back eventually.

No matter how much I want to keep him chained in my basement writing WoT novels for me.

1) If your first name is Brandon, Tom, or Harriet: stop reading

2) Damn, I excluded myself :(

No matter how much I want to keep him chained in my basement writing WoT novels for me.

3) While Elantris was WONDERFUL, I would wait with that until after TGS is published. We don't have ANY idea so far how Brandon Sanderson has handled this series.

Well, okay, we know aMoL will be split, and that most (all?) of Robert Jordan's completed notes are kept. But that's about it.

Was it just me or did the comments on JordonCon imply that Sanderson thinks that the prequals would be a better idea then the outriggers? (possibly based on the fact that RJ may not only have had an outline but have had a lot of back-history information about the characters that would make writing the prequals not only easier but more importantly in line with RJ's vision).

You know, I've had the same thought regarding comics. If there's enough that a good script adaption could be done, that might be an interesting venue to explore.

And yeah, TGS isn't published yet, so no one really knows for sure how it will turn out. However, I've been very impressed with Brandon's own novels, and he's pretty passionate about the series. He's also got alot of people looking over his shoulder making sure he doesn't screw up.  After hearing everyone talk about the process at JordanCon, I'm very confident that we're in for a strong finish. It won't be the same as if Jordan wrote it, but it'll still be pretty good.

Sweet as it would be to have Brandon take a shot at the prequels once AMOL is completed, I very muchprefer if he goes back to his own writing. I am pretty darn curious about The Way Of Kings. Perhaps he could go back poking at the prequels once that one is finished, but not any sooner!

You know, I've had the same thought regarding comics. If there's enough that a good script adaption could be done, that might be an interesting venue to explore.

And if you've ever read Jim Butcher's Welcome to to Jungle you can see what original stories based on a series can be like as a comic.

My experience with novels turned graphic novels has been somewhat off putting.  The art and layout is top notch but the story itself seems compressed and rushed.  I still read tEotW and other WoT graphic novels of course.  :)

wikipedia:

In recent years, Frank Herbert's son Brian Herbert and author Kevin J. Anderson have added to the Dune universe, stating that they in part used notes left behind by Frank Herbert and discovered over a decade after his death. Brian Herbert and Anderson have written two prequel trilogies (Prelude to Dune and Legends of Dune) exploring the history of the Dune universe before the events within Dune, as well as two post-Chapterhouse Dune novels that complete the original series (Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune) based on Frank Herbert's own Dune 7 outline.

+: http://www.dunenovels.com/dune7blog/page21.html

That's as good an argument against other authors writing books set in this world as any I've seen. Or maybe it's just an argument against no talent hacks writing books.

Every time I see the word "outrigger" all I can think of is some space exploring rogue tough guy Riddick type, adventuring at the outer limits of the known universe.  Would someone mind posting the actual definitiion of the word "outrigger" so I can please get that image out of my head?

Here: A projecting frame extending laterally beyond the main structure of a vehicle, aircraft, or machine to stabilize the structure or support an extending part. From thefreedictionary.com

So take "vehicle, aircraft, or machine" and replace it with "story or series".

I've noticed you modding a lot in General Wheel of Time Discussion lately, boss.  Are the regular mods slacking?

How dare you suggest such a thing... oh, wait...

never mind. :p

Was it just me or did the comments on JordonCon imply that Sanderson thinks that the prequals would be a better idea then the outriggers? (possibly based on the fact that RJ may not only have had an outline but have had a lot of back-history information about the characters that would make writing the prequals not only easier but more importantly in line with RJ's vision).

I do like this idea better than the outriggers?

Here: A projecting frame extending laterally beyond the main structure of a vehicle, aircraft, or machine to stabilize the structure or support an extending part. From thefreedictionary.com

So take "vehicle, aircraft, or machine" and replace it with "story or series".

I had always just assumed that it referred to an Outrigger Canoe. Maybe they get ship-wrecked Robinson Crusoe style and have to build a canoe? Or maybe they pull a Thor Heyerdahl and travel between the two continents using one? It would be an awfully darn slow way to travel to Seanchan!!

I don't know...it sounds reallly silly now that I think on it.  ;D

I would really like to see Sanderson write the outrigger novels. However, I completely understand that he doesn't want to be the "official" writer of Robert Jordan. Like he said, he got into writing to write his own series.

I don't think there should be multiple authors like they do in Star Wars literature or Conan books. However, reading Jordan's Conan was the main reason I first picked up TEoTW. That and pure luck. I wouldn't mind authors writing books about the Trolloc Wars. Jordan left enough information for that to be done, but that's just me.

I've noticed you modding a lot in General Wheel of Time Discussion lately, boss.  Are the regular mods slacking?

I'm going to be spending alot more time here, now that I'm taking over the FAQ. And I am far, far pickier about moderation than most people around here are. Its why I don't post on D&D anymore. There would be no survivors.

Archived