DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

TGS Cover description up at the Tor Fall catalogue website

Pandemonium

The cover blurb is up.  At JordanCon, BS said that there was two major storyarcs to be covered in TGS.  They also said there would be two major climaxes.  It looks like Rand and Egwene will be the focus of the two major story-arcs in TGS.  Everybody was apparently wrong about predicting the Tower of Ghenjei rescue to happen in TGS.  Comments?

"A Memory of Light was partially finished by Robert Jordan before his untimely passing in 2007. Brandon Sanderson, New York Times bestselling author of the Mistborn books, was chosen by Jordan’s editor—his wife, Harriet McDougal—to complete the final book. The scope and size of the novel was such that it can not be contained in a single volume, and so Tor proudly presents A Memory of Light:

Gathering Clouds as the first in a short sequence of novels that will complete the struggle against the Shadow, bringing to a close a journey begun almost twenty years ago and marking the conclusion of the Wheel of Time, the preeminent fantasy epic of our era.

In this epic novel, Robert Jordan’s international bestselling series begins its dramatic conclusion. Rand al’Thor, the Dragon Reborn, struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle. As he attempts to halt the Seanchan encroachment northward—wishing he could form at least a temporary truce with the invaders—his allies work in desperation to forestall the shadow that seems to be growing within the heart of the Dragon Reborn himself.

Egwene al’Vere, the Amyrlin Seat of the rebel Aes Sedai, is a captive of the White Tower and subject to the whims of their tyrannical leader. As days tick toward the Seanchan attack she knows is imminent, Egwene works to hold together the disparate factions of Aes Sedai while providing leadership in the face of increasing uncertainty and despair. Her fight will prove the mettle of the Aes Sedai, and her conflict will decide the future of the White Tower—and therefore the world itself."

For me the blurb contains both good news and bad news. Good news: one of the major storyarcs covered in The Gatherinng Storm will be Egwene's. After KoD I've been looking forward to the further development of her storyline.

The bad news. Most likely we won't see the Tower of Ghenjei. Bad. I used to hope we would see it in KoD, and when we didn't it was a disappointment for me, and now the same thing with this book. It also means that we will see little or no Mat which is already a bad thing in itself.

Kind of odd that the blurb still uses the old Memory of Light: Gathering Clouds title.

Yes, it is. The blurb was most likely written when Tor was still planning to use the AMoL supertitle and no one bothered to even correct it which kind of shows Tor's attitude to RJ's legacy (as if anyone needed any more proof).

It doesn't say that we won't see the Tower of Ghenji.  And the rescue of Moraine looks to have more personal effects on Rand then the world at large.

BS did say everyone would get face time and it wouldn't be a Feast for Crows type book with only half of the characters appearing.  I can't see what Mat has to do before he rescues her.  If Rand or Perrin meet up with him before it happens they will insist on coming along despite what te letter said.

Yeah but wouldn't the Tower of Ghenji raid be pretty climatic? Otherwise I would be greatly disappointed. And the book only contains two climaxes, one for Rand and one for Egwene. So propably no raid on Ghenji in this book.

And Mat still has to go to the Tower of Genji, and he is propably the only person who still doesn't have someone who can weave Gateways with him. Instead I think this will be done by boat (and he just happens to have two boat captains with him :)), and the correct river is near. So this book will propably only include some dealings between Mat and his people, giving orders to The Red Hand, finding a ship, and discussing the planned Raid.   

There is of course a possibility that the rescue of Moiraine will happen in TGS, and they have just chosen to not mention this to let it come as a surprise.

But if it does not happen in TGS, I think we will see how Mat & Co travels to the tower, and the last we see of them is either standing outside the tower, or maybe entering it, but we get to see nothing of the inside.

There is of course a possibility that the rescue of Moiraine will happen in TGS, and they have just chosen to not mention this to let it come as a surprise.

But if it does not happen in TGS, I think we will see how Mat & Co travels to the tower, and the last we see of them is either standing outside the tower, or maybe entering it, but we get to see nothing of the inside.

Them entering the tower would be an awesome epilogue, cliffhanger style.

Well, remember quotes from KoD.  They're trying to keep Rand human, right, and he's making him hard due to all the women who've died for him.  Moiraine's death is 'written in fire' or something on his list.

I would thin her return would be a big part in making Rand human again.  So it's very possible it's lumped in there. :)

I'm one of the people waiting eagerly for Moiranine's return and am hoping it will be in the "Gathering Storm" but are we all taking too much for granted in assuming that she will return. Did BS not say in one of his blogs that he was surprised that so many of us took her return for granted and that it may be a trap set by the Aelfinn/Eelfinn or something to that effect.

Did BS not say in one of his blogs that he was surprised that so many of us took her return for granted and that it may be a trap set by the Aelfinn/Eelfinn or something to that effect.

If he did, it would be an example of a canny author trying to lead us astray.   ;)

Moiraine is coming back.  What I think will be surprising will be her condition.  People may be expecting the same old Moiraine.  I doubt that is what we will get.  I think she will be in very bad shape; emotionally and physically drained and beaten down.

The focus of the book will be Rand and Egwene as the 2 major storyarcs.  However, there two storyarcs cover a huge number of overlapping plotlines.  BS also said that he would begin to introduce the other 2 major storyarcs in during TGS, but that they wouldn't have their respective climaxes until the end of book 2.  I was wondering, however, who the other 2 storyarcs are.  I am assuming that Mat and Perrin would be the other 2 major storyarcs, but what about Elayne?  Is their a possibility that some of the storyarcs will merge together?  It is possible that Perrin could merge back with Rand, or Mat with Elayne.  Or does BS consider Elayne's story a minor storyarc?

Based on the TGS cover-description, I highly doubt we will see the Tower of Ghenjei in TGS.  More likely we will see the planning and plot development that gets Mat and crew to the tower.  Like someone mentioned above, it would be really cool if the epilogue featured Mat and crew just about to enter the Tower.  That would be a great cliffhanger!

I wanted to further break down all the minor storyarcs contained within Rand and Egwene's major storyarcs.  I would enjoy your feedback to see how probable it is that the various storylines I am going to list will be featured in TGS.  I'd also enjoy additional ideas as this is a great time to revise our predictions for TGS and AMOL. 

Rands subplot lines:

1.  Rand meeting up with Ituralde and finding a new king/steward for Arad Doman.  Will we ever see what Ituralde's plan/trap was?

2.  Graendal will not like Rand uniting forces, or the idea of a truce with the Seanchan.  How will she intervene?

3.  Speaking of Forsaken, what news will Semirhage reveal to Cadsuane?  Will Semirhage create more inner-turmoil, or will she serve a purpose in aiding the light?

4.  How will Tuon react to the knowledge of Anath/Semirhage manipulating her.  Will this harden her even more against Aes Sedai and channelers?  Will a meeting between Rand and Tuon take place?  If so, will Mat be mentioned?

5.  Will Min continue to make progress on how Herid Fel's mystery of how to reseal the Dark One?

6.  How will Logaine's news of the Amayar affect Rand?  Will Logaine begin to achieve his destined glory in this book, or will that come later?  Will the Black Tower split in this book?

7.  The Sea Folk are coming to bring supplies, but will darkfriends/Forsaken intervene?  Harine will most likely be re-united as the SeaFolk emmisary to Rand, but will claim her destined role as Mistress of the Ships in this book?

8.  Will Cadsuane begin to teach her lesson of 'laughter and Tears?'  Will Sorilea be involved somehow?

9.  Aviendha is back now.  Will she kick Min out of Rand's bed and start getting some of her own 'one on one time?'  What else will Aviendha be up to?

10.  What will Nynaeve be up to other than try to heal Rand's afflictions and/or raising support in the Borderlands for Lan? 

11.  How is Rand reacting to the extra stress of missing a hand, being almost blind, having a raving madman in his head that won't let him channel, taint sickness, a new sickness (from his crossed balefire with Moridin), visions of Perrin/Mat everytime he thinks about them, 2 wounds on his torso that can't be healed, being bonded to 4 different women, and a mysterious man that keeps popping up in his head?  How will Rand stay sane, and who will try to take advantage of him now that he is so clearly weakened?  Will Alivia help Rand die in this book, or will that happen later in the story?  When will we see Narishma as the one who follows after Rand?  The book clearly indicates Rand will become more despondent by the lack of progress with the Seanchan.  Will he try to engage in warfare with them?

12.  Will we begin to see Tuon use some of the 200 captured Shaido Wise Ones as damane?  How will Perrin's 'donation' effect the balance of power?

13.  How will the Forsaken interfere?

14.  Where is Fain?   

Egwene subplot lines:

1.  Egwene getting Elaida supporters to begin supporting Egwene as Amyrlin

2.  The Great Purge- Alviaran racing Pevarra and company to see who will be caught first, the black ajah or the black ajah hunters.

3.  Continued negociation between both White Towers with continued meddling from the power players such as Lelaine and Romanda.  Who is beating Sheriam?  How will Lelaine use Siuan and company to outmanoeuver Romanda? 

4.  Egwene continuing to provide more clues about the WTs secret history and the 13th depository

5.  The Reds will begin hiding their Asha'man.  How will their Asha'man warders affect the White Tower?  Will they be hand-picked by Taim to further cause chaos in the White Tower?  Or will these White Towers play an important role in the Great Purge?

6.  We will likely see the aftermath of Merise's proposal for the rebel Aes Sedai to bond 47 Asha'man.  How fast will this happen, and will we see these Asha'man pitted against the red's Asha'man?

7.  What else will Elaida do to continue her descent into being another Bonwhin?  Will she somehow reedem herself? 

8.  Will the mystery of the young sitters come into play and have something to do with Egwene overthrowing Elaida or re-uniting the towers?

9.  How will Mesaana play into all of this?  Will the mystery of her secret identity be released?  Danelle?

10.  There are probably many more plotlines that will have to be developed, but I do not think it likely that the Seanchan will attack the White Tower in this book.  It just seems too soon, especially when they have their forces concentrated on Rand.  I could be wrong, though.

Everybody was apparently wrong about predicting the Tower of Ghenjei rescue to happen in TGS.

The descriptions do not explicitly deny the possibility.

Mat's first task in the 3 parts I guess would be going to Tower Ghenjei.

Also, both plots mention Seanchan; and Mat is married to its leader.

Well if Rand doesn't make a truce with the Seanchan, he could start to become human agaun(possibly by learning that Moiraine is alive).  I would think Moiraine will be rescued in this one because mat will be needed for major trolloc action which will start in book 2.

Kind of odd that the blurb still uses the old Memory of Light: Gathering Clouds title.
Yes, it is. The blurb was most likely written when Tor was still planning to use the AMoL supertitle and no one bothered to even correct it which kind of shows Tor's attitude to RJ's legacy (as if anyone needed any more proof).
More likely it had already gone to press by the time they decided on the new title, so they didn't have time to change it.

I can see an epilogue that is something like Mat standing before the tower, recollecting about how he got there and the journey upriver, and then with a bronze (right metal?) knife making the sign on the tower and walking through the appearing door, and then the book ends. And he probably says "Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."

Although, if Domon and Egeanin are going to go with mat, what are they going to do, just stay in the boat? or make a camp or something or go do something else. If they do come with mat at all.

Although, if Domon and Egeanin are going to go with mat, what are they going to do, just stay in the boat? or make a camp or something or go do something else. If they do come with mat at all.

I don't know if it will be Domon and Leilwin or not, but Mat will probably want someone waiting for him.  I don't imagine he has any illusions that this will be easy, and while he doesn't know about losing his eye yet, he'll still probably want someone on the outside waiting in case he needs help upon exiting.

I highly doubt Mat will actually go inside the Tower of Ghenjei in TGS.  He has a great deal of other things to go through first.  He still has a long march (to Caemlyn?), he has to meet up with the rest of the Band, and find a way to the Tower.  He may even check on Elayne in Caemlyn before he goes.  My personal theory is that Mat will go to Caemlyn so that he can make sure is promise to Rand is complete (that he would get Elayne safely to Caemlyn).  Once he is in Caemlyn, Elayne will be able to help make a gateway to the Tower of Ghenjei for Mat, Thom, and Noal.  I'm not sure what Mat would tell Elayne other than he has a matter of urgent business to take care of.  Elayne would probably be more than happy if Mat left the Band near Caemlyn as the Band is much more loyal than the mercenaries Elayne has been using. 

Otherwise it will take Mat forever to get to the tower.  Domon no longer has a ship unless Mat suddenly decides to buy him one.  There is so much traveling to do that I just don't think that we will see Mat enter the Tower of Ghenjei in TGS.  Plus, Mat is not yet ready to go into the Tower.  He still has a great deal of planning and contemplating to do before he enters the Tower.  One other reason I think Mat is headed towards Caemlyn is so that he can talk to Birgitte.  Birgitte may be able to provide a couple more ideas on how to handle the Finn.  Likely her memory has faded, but she still may have one or two crucial tidbits left. 

If Mat goes to Caemlyn, one unintended consequence of his actions will be to bring the gholam to Caemlyn.  Personally, I think that Elayne is the best equipped to handle the gholam will her ability to create ter'angreals and her vast ter'angreal collection.  One thing I predict is that if Mat heads to Caemlyn he will know the Gholam is following him.  Since Mat knows he may die in the Tower of Ghenjei he will most likely give his foxhead ter'angreal to Elayne for safekeeping until he comes back.  I think Elayne will then be able to properly study this ter'angreal and create a weapon that can kill the gholam (my personal prediction is that she makes an arrowhead that Birgitte can shoot at the gholam, but just a wild guess).

These are my predictions.  I think Mat and Elayne's storylines are going to blend together quite a bit.  But Mat still has a few things he needs to accomplish before he can go to the Tower.  This is why I predict it won't happen in TGS.   

I think Rand might decide when he does meet with Tuon it would be a good idea to have Mat and Perrin with him.

Why?  He doesn't know about Mat's marriage, or Perrin working with the Seanchan.

He has already tried to set up the meeting without them.  Nothing else has changed.

He doesn't know about their relationships with the Seanchan, that's true, but that isn't the reason I was talking about.  In fact if he did know he might second guess the dissision to include them.

I was thinking more along the lines of him "stacking the deck" in his favor.  Where one ta'veren can alter the pattern somewhat, three could do much more.  And he trusts them more then any AS or AM, including Nyneave.

And they are his Seconds in Command among the Dragonsworn.  Everyone but those three seem to know this so going into peace talks with your right and left hand men would be a better idea then with lower ranking people, or people outside the chain of command.

Archived