DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

*runs in*

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Uncle Red! Uncle Red!"

I believe this is a reference to a traveling salesman of magical all-curing tonics who would stand on a wagon with a bottle of the magic cure-all. 

His assistant would cry out in agony, Uncle Red!  Uncle Red! I need some of that magic cure-all tonic or surely I will die!

The slesman thinks for a moment, then holds out the bottle for the assistant to take a sip.

The assistant takes a gulp of the magic cure-all tonic in an exaggerated manner. 

The assistant says, Oh thank you thank you Uncle Red!!  I am cured!!! I am cured!!!

The assistant then lifts up a corner of the wagon to show that his strength has returned.

The salesman proceeds to sell many bottles of the magic cure-all tonic.

Prior to the enactment of the Pure Food and Drug act  in the early 1900s, snake oil salesman sold alcohol and opium laden "cure-alls" from village to village, often employing a wagon so they could be seen above the crowd that would often gather to herald their arrival.

The lead medicine man (not the African kind) would have an assistant who would play the role of a person in great need of a cure for his ills.  My last post is a re-enactment of such a scene.

The head guy was variously known as Uncle Bill or Uncle James.  So a cry of Uncle Red might be seen as a reference to someone hawking a miracle cure, or someone who is "pulling the leg" of another person.

Since you and I are kind of new to the Reds, I am only assuming "Uncle Red" is such a reference.  I hope I have not offended you in any way.

Archived