DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Matt's Future- giving up half the light of the world

bjclinton

Now if he has still his eyes to go rescue Moiraine, they would kinda see him coming no?!

Therefore he takes his eye out to save Moiraine, which is essential to saving the world...

You think it reasonable for him to gouge out both of his own eyes just so the enemy won't see him coming? Seems a trifle excessive to me.

I agree, Mat with his luck and wit, properly called the trickster, should be able to find another way to get her back than takeing out his own eye.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like wearing an eye-patch.... ;)

A little less painful and a little less permanent.

But hey- not a bad theory, I must say! You've got me thinking a bit, but i'm still going with my gut. I think he's going bye-bye across the ocean. Again, I rely on the fact that it would be impossible for the reader to stay focused on a thorough story involving Matt and Tuon set in Randland, yet we're not able to focus on all the other main characters that survive TG?

It might be excessive but I have just found the chapter I remembered...

I beleive they are linked...

Knife of Dreams - Dragons' Eggs p228-229

"What did they do with memories, anyway? They had to have some reason for gathering them beyond giving them away again. No, he was just trying to avoid where this led. Burn him, the bloody foxes were inside his head right then! They had to be. It was the only explanation that made sense.

"Well, you look as if you're about to vomit," Tuon said, backing the razor away with a grimace. "Who in the show would have herbs? I have some knowledge there."

"I'm all right, I tell you." In truth, he did not want to sick up. Having thoses foxes in his head was a thousand times worse than the dice however hard the dice rattled. Could the Eelfinn see through his eyes? Light, what was he going to do? He doubted any Aes Sedai could Heal him of this, not that he would trust them to, not when it meant leaving off the foxhead. There was nothing to be done. He would just have to live with it. He groaned at the thought."

It would seem more reasonable if he wore a blindfold!

I agree... I would also use a blindfold instead of gauging my eye out...  ;D

I was more making reference to the prophecy of giving up half the light of the world as in Matt doing something to fool the finns instead of going over to Seansean...

The fact that these 2 paragraphs are part of the book, to me, seems more like what the prophecy means... however he chooses to gauge his eye out  :D

``Most people presume that it is part of a deal that Mat may have to make with the Finns. He may exchange his eye for something (maybe so they may leave safely) and Moiraine's function is crucial for the Last Battle, due to Min's viewing.''

This is my understanding: that, in effect, he would trade one eye in order to free Moiraine---that this trade would be the bargain that the 'Finn would demand. Just why they would insist on such a trade, if that is how it will work out, remains to be seen.

• 1 month later...

``Most people presume that it is part of a deal that Mat may have to make with the Finns. He may exchange his eye for something (maybe so they may leave safely) and Moiraine's function is crucial for the Last Battle, due to Min's viewing.''

This is my understanding: that, in effect, he would trade one eye in order to free Moiraine---that this trade would be the bargain that the 'Finn would demand. Just why they would insist on such a trade, if that is how it will work out, remains to be seen.

It's always been my theory that Matt won't lose his eye as part of a trade, but for another much more specific reason. Since his first experiences with the 'finns he has wanted them out of his head. We also know that Matt's extra memories come from people who have also been to see the 'finns, and extend from the moment they meet the 'finns to the moment they die. These memories are all from the point of view of the visitor and therefore the 'finns know everything that a person will do for the rest of their life once they have visited once.

Now, Matt is planning a rescue of Moiraine from the 'finns in the Tower of Ghenji. The 'finns know Matt is coming but one thing Matt realises is that all of what they see is literally seen through the eye of the visitor. So that the plan to trick the 'finns with fire/music/iron/courage is doomed to failure unless Matt can stop the 'finns seeing his future through his eye. Then comes the moment when he combines the problem with the prophecies that he has heard and realises what he must do to prevent them from seeing his future. He plucks out his own eye in order to ensure the success of the mission and save Moiraine (and possibly all of them).

It's a theory that fits anyway and it's the one I think will happen.

Hmm, that he'll lose an eye seems a foregone conclusion I'm afraid. However, I think he'll lose it gambling with the Finns. Now that, would be cool ;).

Highly likely. That would really highlight Mat's character since he's a gambler. However, he rarely loses so what would cause him to lose an eye?

Hmm, that he'll lose an eye seems a foregone conclusion I'm afraid. However, I think he'll lose it gambling with the Finns. Now that, would be cool ;).

Highly likely. That would really highlight Mat's character since he's a gambler. However, he rarely loses so what would cause him to lose an eye?

The 'Finns put something in his drink and then weight the dice?

Mat: It's time to get dangerous. *hic* This round, I bet my EYE!

*dice roll*

Mat: Damn.

The 'Finns put something in his drink and then weight the dice?

Mat: It's time to get dangerous. *hic* This round, I bet my EYE!

*dice roll*

Mat: Damn.

I was thinking something more like a game of strip poker where he doesn't know when to stop.

Mat: Okay, no more clothes...I can give you an eye.

Thom: Er...I'll just give up now.

I was thinking something more like a game of strip poker where he doesn't know when to stop.

Mat: Okay, no more clothes...I can give you an eye.

Thom: Er...I'll just give up now.

He could take the 300 attitude towards it.  "It's just an eye.  The gods saw fit to grant me a spare."

• 4 months later...

well i have seen two very valid opinions, the one with mat giving his eye to supply the iron, and the one where he convinces tuon to fight in the last battle and leave seandar to the darkfriends.  but i think the first one is gonna be it, maybe not to supply the iron, but mat is definatly gonna lose/bet/exchange his eye for something.  remember way back in EotW when min sees mat placing his eye on a scale? yea surprised no one has mentioned that little detail  :P

I guess I just don't want to see old Mat lose an eye

We're all with you on that one. :D

None of us wanted Rand to lose a Hand but it happened didn't it?

Plus I believe Egwene had a dream of Mat dicing with Bal'zamon and Mat's hat was pulled low so she couldn't see his face clearly but could see blood dripping down his face from a hidden wound. That COULD be the whole eye thing, or something else.

Doing a quick search in the Wotfaq, in TDR, "Questions" Egwene has a vision of Mat putting an eye on a balance scale. So that's probably really where this theory is coming from. It does seem pretty grim but hey I think Mat will look cool with an eyepatch, possibly with a fox on it lol.

Doing a quick search in the Wotfaq, in TDR, "Questions" Egwene has a vision of Mat putting an eye on a balance scale. So that's probably really where this theory is coming from. It does seem pretty grim but hey I think Mat will look cool with an eyepatch, possibly with a fox on it lol.
That's one of the reasons for the theory. Eye on a balance scale, wound on his face, give up half the light of the world, it all adds up. But I think the classic plain black is the eye patch he should go for. Simple and classy.

Ive noticed this theme that he needs to fool them to get the iron fire music in. but unless i understand it wrong, this is a statement made when going through one of the doorways for true answers and whatnot. as the rescue plan doesnt concern the portals, but actually the way into their land, the rules aformentioned shouldnt apply. its instead going to be a fight and music and fire and iron are the weapons, as it were.

Since most people who visited the Eelfinn came through the Tower of Ghenjei, I would say it is quite likely the rules very much applies there.

Of course, since the finns ask if the visitor carries any of the forbidden items, it does suggest that it is quite possible to bring them.

Archived