DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Galina's Fate-did she deserve it?

RAND AL THOR

I hate Galina. Everytime she did something horrible I just kept hoping that she would end up with a horrible fate. However, RJ's justice is bone-chilling. What do people think about Galina's fate in the hands of Thereva for the rest of her life? It seems very just and I am really happy with it-but I do occasionally feel almost sorry for her.

Another question. Why didn't Galina free herself from the oaths as soon as possible? She delayed. Even in the woods, she was removing the collar etc. If she had removed the oaths first, then couldn't she have escaped. Someone mentioned once that you cannot channel at the oath rod and at the same time use the oath rod yourself. Is that the reason?

I briefly felt that way- then I recalled that Galina was/is a sexual predator on young girls she has marked for the Red, as well as the emotionally vulnerable (Erin). She is now the plaything of a sexual sadist. There is a justice there that's harsh, but far less chilling. It'd be like the man who kept his daughter imprisoned as a sex slave for years being captured by another sexual deviant and kept as "the Gimp."

Another question. Why didn't Galina free herself from the oaths as soon as possible? She delayed. Even in the woods, she was removing the collar etc. If she had removed the oaths first, then couldn't she have escaped. Someone mentioned once that you cannot channel at the oath rod and at the same time use the oath rod yourself. Is that the reason?

You can channel at the Oath Rod to swear and release oaths. The Sitters did that when searching for the Black Ajah. What I recall was that Galina had sworn not to channel without Therava's permission, and it was therefore neccessary to escape and seek another member of the Black Ajah to release her.

As for her fate, she deserved it. Funny how two prominent members of the Black Ajah end up in the hands of wilders who have no idea they are Darkfriends, yet treat them little better than they, or the Aes Sedai for that matter, would have had they known.

Plus, I'd be grateful in Galina's place. Whatever punishment awaited her in Mesaana's hands for utter failure at everything would surely be much worse. And if she was caught by other Aes Sedai, she would be stilled. If she was caught by Rand and Cadsuane... well, you get the point.

In some ways what Therava did is more fitting than anything Cadsuane or Rand could have done--neither have it in them to crush someone as effectively as Therava crushed Galina.

I concider Galina to be the very height of RJ's writing--despite the fack that she is universally loathed, he somehow managed to make everyone feel the horror and despair of her fall. Amazing.

As for her fate, she deserved it. Funny how two prominent members of the Black Ajah end up in the hands of wilders who have no idea they are Darkfriends, yet treat them little better than they, or the Aes Sedai for that matter, would have had they known.

Galina and who else?

I loved what happened to Suroth. The bad guys in this book do so many bad things that I love to see them pulled down. I must say the most satisfying moment in the series was when Rand smashed apart the box in which he was confined and instantly stilled 3 sisters. The whole party should have been stilled! How dare they think that they can take the Dragon Reborn in such a fashion? Any AS in that party who were not BA (many of them are not BA I think) are just idiots for agreeing to such a plan.

Yes you're right, Luckers. The thought came to me after I'd posted, so I edited without checking the exact wording of the "question".

Also, Suroth knows Liandrin is BA.

Re Katarina: It would also apply to Elza, and who knows who else amongst that group is BA?

The only other bunch of wilders would be the Sea Folk - I can't recall that they are holding around any known BA

*looks around for Asmo to clear the matter up*

Galina got exactly what she deserved... the biznitch ... I hate her.  It's not quite as good as what happens to one of my less favourite characters in Ice Hunt... he gets frozen alive and sinks to the bottom of the ocean to live for eternity in agony.  Sounds terrible, but trust me... the bastard had it coming...

Not to mention Pevara, if Pevara had gotten her hands on Galina, I think she'd be wishing Therava had her.  I think Asmo or whoever it was made a mistake because of the known BA I can't think of someone besides Galina held by wilders.  I forget where Liandrin is since Suroth fall but if she's held by Tuon; Tuon can channel but I don't she is a wilder because she never channeled but again I forget.  But Pevara and Galina is a confrontation I'd like to see.  Hell yes, Galina deserved her fate

it's kind of like something Nyneave said when she was freeing Egwene from the Seanchan.  "Few men can stomach justice" meaning that a lot of people opt for revenge rather than actual justice because justice is sometimes a lot more difficult.

Whether or not you connected to Galina's character or even feel sympathy for her, you have to remember all of the things she did in her years ruling in the Black Ajah.  Death was the suitable punishment for the things which she did - but the Randland cosmos decided that it would better serve her to keep her in the state that she is in.

I think she got her just punishment.  She desired power through the Black Ajah and being a Darkfriend, and now she is aware of her power but unable to use it unless Therava allows her to.  She has to get PERMISSION to use her own power, something she worked very hard for.  For the rest of her life it is going to be like that.

I think RJ wrote her punishment VERY well. 

In a purely techincal way life without possibility of parole is a very common punishment for repeat murderers, at least in the US.  By society's standards, stilling would be considered a type of punishment by amputation, and would be considered cruel and unusual in the US.  This of course does not take into account my country's recent views on acceptable torture methods...

Oh it is very very cruel what was done to Galina and she more than deserves it.

Take into account that both women can channel and will live for a very long time as well...Galina was sooooooo close to getting away.

I think what is a really nice, subtle touch is the fact that the circumstances were much the same for Faile. She was so close to getting away and would have been killed if she had given up. Galina had set her up to die just as her rescue was about to arrive, but because Faile fought even to the last minute, she was discovered and rescued.

You get the impression that Galina was caught because she was gloating at what she had done and was thinking ahead about the revenge she would exact against her enemies instead of simply getting on with her escape.

yapyap. When the part on Galina started and it said that she was removing those gai'shain belt I was all but screaming with fury that she was escaping, but Threva's voice calling out was really shocking and satisfying. But the very last sentence in that chapter was sort of sad.

Personally, I felt really bad for Galina, I like to feel what the other side experiences sometimes; Galina may have killed many others, but probably many of them were idiots anyway, capable of similar cruelties as all humans are.  As for therva, shes just as worse for killing one of her own wiseones.  I always fantasized about the rescue of Galina from one of the forsakens, and after freeing herself......poor poor therva.  i'll just summarize what Moggy said to Nyneave:  I would ask the DO to give you immortality, therva, so I could spend eternity making you learn never to oppose me again....then i'll give you to Semirhage. ::)

• 3 weeks later...
To anyone who doesn't remeber: She is presently a damanae. I'm not sure whether she still lives though.
She was da'covale to the now deposed High Lady Suroth. I would say damane-hood is a likely next step, though.

To anyone who doesn't remeber: She is presently a damanae. I'm not sure whether she still lives though.
She was da'covale to the now deposed High Lady Suroth. I would say damane-hood is a likely next step, though.

As Miraj stepped down from the dais, he realized with shock that the second da'covale behind Suroth, short and dark-haired and slim in her diaphanous robe, was damane. A damane garbed as property was unheard of, but odder still, it was Alwhin who led her by the a'dam.

Hence she is both da'covale and damanae.

Archived