DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who Forasaken are masquerading as. Level 11 Spoilers

Asgard Thorin

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and Majsju(pronounced Mitch, right?) Taim, can't be just Taim. He was in on the Forsaken byword, and he called the Aiel "so-called". A very small hint, but a very big one.

Not even close regarding the pronounciation. Closest english word would be My, I think.

Taim being raised to the level of forsaken would get him in n the forsaken byword. As for the comment about Aiel, extremely few people knew anything about Aiel at tis time. Even verin admitted she knew very little, and Taim not being an Aes sedai of the Brown ajah...Go figure. What information he had he had from the stories. And if he expects Aiel to be three meters tall, draping themselves in the skins of dead enemies, drinking blood and whatever siilliness storytellers loves to flesh out their stories with, the quite normal people he sees in Caemlyn would be "so-called".

Heck, Moridin may be Ishamael with what little of Bel'al that could be salvaged thrown in for stability. (Buuuuuuut, prob'ly not.)

I don't buy it Majsju( sorry about the name, by the way). So'called just because they're not three yards tall and the rest? No one from this time remembers that the Aiel were Daishain except the clan chiefs and Wise Ones. The Aes Sedai don't remember. The Sea Folk don't remember, and the Traveling People sure as bells don't remember. Every time the Forsaken mention the Aiel, they are shocked. So-called only fits if Taim is a Forsaken. RJ left the door open for this kind of debate. I don't know if it was an accident, if he changed his mind, or if he decided people were twigging to it to fast and he had to slow the rush and said that quote you mentioned. One way or another, he left hints that Taim's a recycled Forsaken. I don't think the so-called comment can be so mundane, to say nothing of the sigil that "Samon" and Taim have in common, nor of how Forsaken-ish Taim acts when we first meet him.

What did you think of my inflection idea? We may disagree, but i like your thoughts.

Davian, That doesn't seem to fit. It is possible, I suppose, but something about Taim trips Lews Therin's "Spidey-sense".

As for Bel'al being dead,dead,dead...well, so is Lews Therin, physically.

I think the reason the Dark One mentioned Asmodean and Rahvin was because both of them were cut off from the Dark One, one by Rand's sword, the other by Rand's balefire. Bel'al, however, was burned out by Moiraine, and she was interrupted by Ishamael. Her attack was a single burst of a flame-thrower, Rand's attack on Rahvin was an entire airwing's three-week supply of napalm.

Oh, and Majsju, all three military commanders that defected to the Shadow were jealous, Demandred, Sammael, and Bel'al. But Bel'al was the Netweaver, and the only one of them that seemed able to control his jealousy, as Taim does around Rand.

Now I must confess, that someone said Sammael had a similar sigil. I have not been able to find what book or what chapter. I'm fairly certain it cannot be in book 7.

I don't buy it Majsju( sorry about the name, by the way). So'called just because they're not three yards tall and the rest? No one from this time remembers that the Aiel were Daishain except the clan chiefs and Wise Ones. The Aes Sedai don't remember. The Sea Folk don't remember, and the Traveling People sure as bells don't remember. Every time the Forsaken mention the Aiel, they are shocked. So-called only fits if Taim is a Forsaken. RJ left the door open for this kind of debate. I don't know if it was an accident, if he changed his mind, or if he decided people were twigging to it to fast and he had to slow the rush and said that quote you mentioned. One way or another, he left hints that Taim's a recycled Forsaken. I don't think the so-called comment can be so mundane, to say nothing of the sigil that "Samon" and Taim have in common, nor of how Forsaken-ish Taim acts when we first meet him.

What did you think of my inflection idea? We may disagree, but i like your thoughts.

If Taim were to be a recycled forsaken, the only possible options are Balthamel, Aginor and Ishamael. Obviously Balthamel and Aginor are completely out of the picture. Ishamael is not 100% impossible, but there is so much evidence against it that RJ would have some serious explanation to do.

He simply can't be a recycled forsaken, it does not work. This is not a goofkind-novel.

As for the inflection, are you suggesting the DO is only restricted from recovering balefire done by the dragon, if it's done by anyone else it's fair game? If that is the case, you are wrong.

Oh, and Majsju, all three military commanders that defected to the Shadow were jealous, Demandred, Sammael, and Bel'al. But Bel'al was the Netweaver, and the only one of them that seemed able to control his jealousy, as Taim does around Rand.

You mean the "control" Taim showed when Rand came with the pins?

Be'lal is dead, balefired, not coming back. Unless you want to claim RJ is lying to his fans.

The Light stumbles across new, exceptionally powerful channelers all the time. Why is it so impossible for the Shadow to find at least one powerful Third Ager?

It only fits if he is Chosen? Because you say so? One theory around here is that Taim was taught by the Chosen, probably Ishamael (it fits the evidence as well, if not better, than your theory). Therefore, their prejudices rub off on him, hence so called Aiel. Your point about Taim wearing Samon's sigil is unimportant, as it is Sammael's as well. Taim  is very different from Be'lal in terms of personality and methodology, so simply saying that the fact that RJ (BBHPN) may possibly have left some sort of opening to bring Be'lal back in a place where the vast majority of is readers won't see it (meaning the revelation would smack of the author being an idiot and inventing this crap at the last minute in order to facilitate a revelation that doesn't need to be there and doesn't furthere the plot - it would just be "well, balefire doesn't totally put you beyond Sha'itan's reach, even though I said in the books that it did, but it's alright because I wrote something in a Q&A on the internet somewhere for the few of my fans who do more than just read the books to argue over". You see how that would be a completely stupid thing to do?). When have we ever seen Taim do something that smacks absolutely of "that must be Be'lal". Acting jealous of Rand doesn't count.

"Be'lal is dead, balefired, not coming back. Unless you want to claim RJ is lying to his fans."

What did he say?  Where did he refute this theory?

Taim  is very different from Be'lal in terms of personality and methodology, so simply saying that the fact that RJ (BBHPN) may possibly have left some sort of opening to bring Be'lal back in a place where the vast majority of is readers won't see it (meaning the revelation would smack of the author being an idiot and inventing this crap at the last minute in order to facilitate a revelation that doesn't need to be there and doesn't furthere the plot - it would just be "well, balefire doesn't totally put you beyond Sha'itan's reach, even though I said in the books that it did, but it's alright because I wrote something in a Q&A on the internet somewhere for the few of my fans who do more than just read the books to argue over". You see how that would be a completely stupid thing to do?).

That's a long parenthesis!  However, your point comes across and I couldn't disagree more.  First,  Be'lal is pretending to be someone else: of course his personality seems different from before.  Second, I think that surprise twists are excellent storytelling techniques and do not "smack of the author being an idiot".  Third, of course this would further the plot - Be'lal's discovery would be the spark that ignites the fighting in the Black Tower.

Maybe the captive AS in the BT will uncover him, and that's how the male and female channelers will learn to fight together against the dark.

Best theory ever

Taim is Taim and nothing else.  He is a dreadlord and even possibly a new Chosen but he is not a chosen reborn.

I vote for Taim being a 3rd ager dark friend raised to the chosen. And made a leader of some wing of the DO's army. He is useing Bal'al's sigel after all. The Fist holding the lighting bolts.

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]    starwars1.gif

<(^-^)>, thanks for the support.

Mr. Ares, where was that Sammael segment? I haven't been able to find it. To me, back to topic, so called only works(apologies if my emphasis was too strong) because any Third Ager who fought Aiel would know why their reputation came about: pound-for-pound, they are the best fighters in the Age(that's a boxing term for all things being equal). From my point of view, only a contemporary of the Dashain would call them "so-called". Taim seems to be acting Envious-ly: not wearing the pins from insult, but wearing the Dragons on his sleeves, always with the mocking smile(self-mocking) and his anger at receiving accolades from Rand all fit with a Forsaken. I suppose he could have been a Chosen's protege', but if I'm right or wrong, Mr. Sanderson will have to explain the similarities-if this question really is important to the story.

Majsju, if you're refering to the For Sodas quote, even if that is absolute, I would bet sums of money I don't have that RJ at least considered the option of Bel-alTaim before rejecting it. And I agree with, <(^-^)>, Rand's cohort going to Caemlyn and Nynaeve recognizing that symbol would be a great way to break the Black Tower. Mr. Ares, what does BBHPN or whatever mean?

Oh, I think Moridin is far more mentally stable than Ishy-of-old. Maybe Moridin is Ishy plus Bel'allets(buuuuuuT, again, prob'ly not). Just an observation. Ishamael strikes me as more unstable than his probable next self.

I think Mesa'ana(msp?) is the Red Javindra

However, your point comes across and I couldn't disagree more. First, Be'lal is pretending to be someone else: of course his personality seems different from before.
So the mere fact they act like two different people isn't enough to derail your theory? The almost complete lack of evidence, and the fact that it is basically impossible given what we know? What a great way of working. And it still doesn't answer the question of methodology - for example, the most likely candidate for the attack on Demira in LOC is Taim (planning, rather than execution, of course), and the blunt methodolgy that is his hallmark whenever we see him in action is far removed from the subtlety of the man nicknamed "Netweaver". Likewise Taim's distaste for swords, when Be'lal was a skilled swordsman. Taim=Be'lal doesn't fit with what we know of the characters, and while I also would have liked to have seen more of Be'lal I don't think we will - he was balefired, and is thus gone.
Second, I think that surprise twists are excellent storytelling techniques and do not "smack of the author being an idiot".
In and of themselves they are neither good nor bad - it all depends on how they are used. Given that all the evidence in the books points towards returning from balefire is impossible, and given most of the evidence out of the books agrees, and given the only tiny bit of evidence you have is part of a QOTW that relies on Moiraine being too weak to put him beyond the reach of Shai'tan, and Shai'tan being ready, willing and able to collect him, I would say you are attempting to build an argument out of nothing. This plot twist would definitely be one of the utterly stupid variety. It has zero support in any previous book - essentially, it looks like something the author pulls out of his arse in the last book to provide a twist that is utterly unnecessary and utterly useless, and very, very stupid. And it is almost guaranteed to leave a nasty taste in the mouth of everybody but the supporters of the theory - particularly the casual fans who read the books, know that balefire is something which deals with you for good, and find that suddenly, for no apparent reason, you can come back from it. Smart move.
Third, of course this would further the plot - Be'lal's discovery would be the spark that ignites the fighting in the Black Tower.
So Taim being found out to be a Darkfriend wouldn't do it, Taim being a new Chosen wouldn't do it, but Taim being Be'lal for reasons that escape everyone would make the already tense atmosphere go up in flames? Right.

Maybe the captive AS in the BT will uncover him, and that's how the male and female channelers will learn to fight together against the dark.
And him being a DF or new Chosen doesn't work here? Or him being Be'lal works so much better as to overcome the utter stupidity of ret conning everything the books tell us about what balefire does to you? OK.

Mr. Ares, where was that Sammael segment? I haven't been able to find it.
Mr Ares, if you please, I expect people to punctuate my name as I wish it, not as they would. And you are looking for TFOH 34, where the Four meet in T'A'R, and Sammael's chair displays a fist clutching lightning bolts exactly like Samon's and, later, Taim's.
To me, back to topic, so called only works(apologies if my emphasis was too strong) because any Third Ager who fought Aiel would know why their reputation came about: pound-for-pound, they are the best fighters in the Age(that's a boxing term for all things being equal). From my point of view, only a contemporary of the Dashain would call them "so-called".
And to me "so-called" works if it was something his teachers used and that he picked up on - whether he knows why they say "so-called" or not.
Taim seems to be acting Envious-ly: not wearing the pins from insult, but wearing the Dragons on his sleeves, always with the mocking smile(self-mocking) and his anger at receiving accolades from Rand all fit with a Forsaken.
Those attitudes (envy of Rand, measure of arrogance, etc.) are not confined to Be'lal, nor to Chosen, nor to DFs, nor even to "bad people". This is proof of nothing more than Taim is arrogant and doesn't like being seen as number two to Rand. Also (IIRC), Taim doesn't smile. The end of LOC sees him as close as Rand has ever seen him. (Does anyone recall any mention of Be'lal smiling during his brief spell on screen? That would be helpful.)
I suppose he could have been a Chosen's protege', but if I'm right or wrong, Mr. Sanderson will have to explain the similarities-if this question really is important to the story.
Or maybe he can just leave it as is, because we have enough to rule out Be'lal. The similarities, such as they are, are, quite frankly, pitiful. You have virtually nothing which implies a direct link between Be'lal and Taim, and you are attempting to build a house of cards. Taim=Taim is by far the most likely explanation. Now, is there any hard evidence beyond you think Taim=old Chosen and Be'lal is the only one you thing fits? Because, right now, you have nothing.

Majsju, if you're refering to the For Sodas quote, even if that is absolute, I would bet sums of money I don't have that RJ at least considered the option of Bel-alTaim before rejecting it. And I agree with, <(^-^)>, Rand's cohort going to Caemlyn and Nynaeve recognizing that symbol would be a great way to break the Black Tower. Mr. Ares, what does BBHPN or whatever mean?
I don't see why he should have entertained this idea. And you got the name wrong again. And BBHPN stands for Blessed Be His Pen Name.

Oh, I think Moridin is far more mentally stable than Ishy-of-old. Maybe Moridin is Ishy plus Bel'allets(buuuuuuT, again, prob'ly not). Just an observation. Ishamael strikes me as more unstable than his probable next self.
No probable, Moridin=Ishy. The difference is probably the TP usage - it drove Ishy mad, but Moridin is free of it, largely. No Be'lal here, move along.

I think Mesa'ana(msp?) is the Red Javindra
Why? Do you have any evidence? Or maybe she is Be'lal as well! Or maybe Elaida is....or EGWENE!!! What a theory!

No probable, Moridin=Ishy. The difference is probably the TP usage - it drove Ishy mad, but Moridin is free of it, largely. No Be'lal here, move along.

Moridin has been usign the TP near constantly, as demonstrated by the thoughts of the various Chosen, vis a vie, the ammount of Saa he's gained in such a short time, and his using the TP where the OP would suffice (killing the rat).

Rahvin died, Rahvin is balefired out of time, slain out of time, cannot be reached, gone. Be’lal, (names someone else)…,

That quote is not convincing at all, Majsju.  How did the second sentence end?  I don't know, and I doubt you do.

So the mere fact they act like two different people isn't enough to derail your theory? The almost complete lack of evidence, and the fact that it is basically impossible given what we know?

Well, I've seen quite a bit of evidence for many aspects of this theory.  The particulars all fit, at least.  Also, it is not "basically impossible"; you have no grounds to say that.  RJ himself admitted a balefired soul is not out of the DO's reach.

And it still doesn't answer the question of methodology - for example, the most likely candidate for the attack on Demira in LOC is Taim (planning, rather than execution, of course), and the blunt methodolgy that is his hallmark whenever we see him in action is far removed from the subtlety of the man nicknamed "Netweaver".

Unless he is pretending to be a certain kind of person to hide his true identity, or his reputation is not an exact account of his personality.

This plot twist would definitely be one of the utterly stupid variety.

No, it would be awesome.  These are, of course, our opinions and don't matter at all when discussing the possibility of the theory.  Essentially you are saying that this theory is no good because you don't like it.  I can argue back all day, saying that it is a good theory because I like it, but it won't change your opinion.  It just doesn't make sense to bring our opinions into the discussion.

So Taim being found out to be a Darkfriend wouldn't do it, Taim being a new Chosen wouldn't do it, but Taim being Be'lal for reasons that escape everyone would make the already tense atmosphere go up in flames? Right.

No, no, I was just offering an example of how this theory could further the plot, to address your contention that it wouldn't.

And him being a DF or new Chosen doesn't work here? Or him being Be'lal works so much better as to overcome the utter stupidity of ret conning everything the books tell us about what balefire does to you? OK.

No again, I am just pointing out that this theory would not hamper the plot.

I'm not out to convince you that this theory is right - I just want to help compile evidence and address people who try to shoot it down without evidence.

No, it would be awesome. These are, of course, our opinions and don't matter at all when discussing the possibility of the theory.

It would be awesome if Egwene was a cyborg who was killed by Bela (also a cyborg)? For the people who know what verisimilitude means, it would suck and make any prediction of what will happen impossible ;)

"So the mere fact they act like two different people isn't enough to derail your theory?" "Almost complete lack of evidence"

Act like different people? Taim is acting very much like a Forsaken-and any Forsaken that had been killed and recycled would have every incentive to walk small. For a Forsaken

Almost complete lack of evidence? Did you not read the initial post? You may interpret it differently, but there is a metric dataload of evidence for the theory. That is why the theory exists in the first place. If RJ changed his mind, decided Bel'al would not be Taim simply because he could not work it in, fine. But he left a bunch o' hints Mr. A.

No, it would be awesome. These are, of course, our opinions and don't matter at all when discussing the possibility of the theory.

It would be awesome if Egwene was a cyborg who was killed by Bela (also a cyborg)? For the people who know what verisimilitude means, it would suck and make any prediction of what will happen impossible ;)

Cybertrolloc.....What? How? Huh? Where did cyborgs come into a discussion about Forsaken? What the hey-eck does verisimilitude have to do with this? Translation: You're not making any sense. Your post is a non-sequitor. Thanks for making me laugh, though. Majsju, context is all could go to either side of the knife. Love the way you spell favorite, by the way

Verisimilitude: truth-in-simulation, truth in fiction, True simulation

Majsju, context is all could go to either side of the knife. Love the way you spell favorite, by the way

No, it can not. Look at what RJ is saying here, he is talking about the effects of balefire, uses Rahvin as a specific example, than adds Be'lal as another example. Had he wanted to leave a door open for the possibility of Be'lal being possible to recycle, it would have been something along the lines of "Be'lal, on the other hand.... But it doesn't, all we have is Be'lals name thrown out together with rahvins. Ie, what is being said about Rahvin concerns Be'lal as well.

As for how I spell favourite, that is the correct spelling in the country where the english language was invented ;).

Act like different people? Taim is acting very much like a Forsaken-and any Forsaken that had been killed and recycled would have every incentive to walk small. For a Forsaken

Almost complete lack of evidence? Did you not read the initial post? You may interpret it differently, but there is a metric dataload of evidence for the theory. That is why the theory exists in the first place. If RJ changed his mind, decided Bel'al would not be Taim simply because he could not work it in, fine. But he left a bunch o' hints Mr. A.

On Be'lal and Taim's personality - The issue is not just that Taim is a different personality that Be'lal might potentially be playing, its much larger and deeper than that. Be'lal and Taim have intrinsically different methodologies in everything they do. Taim's tactics are blunt--in every plan of his we have witnessed or can even theorize about his actions have involved blunt force. Be'lal on the other hand was the deft social manipulator--so much so that he got given the name Netweaver above even the likes of Graendal.

This is not one man playing at the mannerisms of another. The variences are too profound and too subtle for that--up to an including things Be'lal would never need to hide. Furthermore if Be'lal was capable of such mental wriggling--even to the extent that he undercuts his own plans simply that they be in Taim's methodology--why would he utter such comments as 'so-called Aiel'?

Ultimately it is pretty conclusive.

As for tons of evidence for it--I looked through it and its all pretty circumstantial. Leaning in when Rand speaks of the Forsaken? Rage at Rand giving him the dragon-pin? Ignoring the Saldaeans? Not reacting to a comment about Shadowspawn? Being taken aback at the thought of Forsaken in disguise?

How is any of that evidence? It suggests nothing specific at all. Some of it even speaks against Taim being Be'lal--like your comment about male forsaken hating Lews Therin as the basis of why Taim displayed such rage at being given the dragon-pin... Be'lal displays no excess of emotion towards Rand at all... indeed, he seems quite amicable for an enemy.

About the only evidence that actually backs the Taim is Be'lal theory is Taim's Age of Legend mannerisms, and relative knowledge of weaves (though I would point out that we havn't actually really elaborate weaves from Taim)--which i did note that you raised. But as I said above that speaks in its own way against Be'lal being Taim--if Be'lal was such a master actor as to be able to so alter even his most basic inclinations and methods from the subtle planner to the blunt bully at EVERY single moment or described action we have of him, then honestly how could he fall victim to such obvious breaks in character as to reference the dai'shain?

You ask a lot of blank questions, the majority of which don't even need answers beyond the nature of their occurance, and the rest with much stronger answers than that Be'lal is Taim, but offer no evidence at all. In the face of all that stands against this theory... *shrug*.

Quote from: Mr Ares on February 03, 2008, 04:46:02 AM

Moridin has been usign the TP near constantly, as demonstrated by the thoughts of the various Chosen, vis a vie, the ammount of Saa he's gained in such a short time, and his using the TP where the OP would suffice (killing the rat).

Keep in mind that the effects of the True Power are cumulative. Despite Moridin's almost constant use he in no way has accumulated the same degree as his Ishamael body did--so if the instability is indeed a result of long term TP usage it does explain his sudden return to relative lucidity.

Also, I don't know whether you've come accross it but the current theory for why Moridin has switched to sole use of the True Power after three thousand years of using both is that saidin seemingly activates the link between him and Rand. It's likely that he was experiencing the same nausia Rand was.

As for how I spell favourite, that is the correct spelling in the country where the english language was invented ;).

Yes, we speak the Queen's English here, you slobbenly Americans. Thats more U's, less Z's (Zedds not Zees) and no faucets, it's a tap, seriously.

"So the mere fact they act like two different people isn't enough to derail your theory?" "Almost complete lack of evidence"

Yup, Moridin is walking real small these days.  He has only gotten himself killed 3 times.  OK, you caught me, I just lied.  It was only once.  He was just damn near killed 2 times before that.  He is walking so small he is Nae'blis.  You'll have to try better than that one.

Your evidence is based on wishful thinking concerning ideas that have been categorically denied by Jordan himself.  You should be grateful if people are saying you have almost no evidence.  There is, in fact, a complete lack of evidence, not an almost complete lack of evidence.

No, it can not. Look at what RJ is saying here, he is talking about the effects of balefire, uses Rahvin as a specific example, than adds Be'lal as another example.

It is obvious that the quote could be interpreted in many ways, ONE of which is shown above.

It would be awesome if Egwene was a cyborg who was killed by Bela (also a cyborg)? For the people who know what verisimilitude means, it would suck and make any prediction of what will happen impossible

Verisimilitude is not based on logic or fact.  Are you trying to say that this theory is as crazy and unlikely as your cyborg theory?  If so, you should at least try to show that there is the same amount of evidence for both (but there isn't).

On Be'lal and Taim's personality - The issue is not just that Taim is a different personality that Be'lal might potentially be playing, its much larger and deeper than that. Be'lal and Taim have intrinsically different methodologies in everything they do. Taim's tactics are blunt--in every plan of his we have witnessed or can even theorize about his actions have involved blunt force. Be'lal on the other hand was the deft social manipulator--so much so that he got given the name Netweaver above even the likes of Graendal.

Be'lal tricks Rand into drawing Callandor so he can steal it.  Taim tricks Rand into assigning him leader of the BT, so he can seize the power of the AM.  These are similar tactics.  A deft social manipulator?  He wormed his way into the command of the most destructive and fragile of the Light's forces.  You are basing your profile of Be'lal on very little evidence - an old nickname and a couple of stories.  The difference between Be'lal and Taim is uncertian because we haven't seen enough of Be'lal to know how he would act in most situations.  Taim has not done anything that Be'lal would never have done (actually his reaction to swords is suspicious, but still inconclusive - maybe he doesn't want to reveal his prowess).

This is not one man playing at the mannerisms of another. The variences are too profound and too subtle for that--up to an including things Be'lal would never need to hide.

Profound AND subtle?  I don't know about that.  I can't think of any examples to back up your statement except maybe for the thing with swords, which, as I demonstrated above, is not conclusive.

As for tons of evidence for it--I looked through it and its all pretty circumstantial.

Which is why this is still just a theory.

if Be'lal was such a master actor as to be able to so alter even his most basic inclinations and methods from the subtle planner to the blunt bully at EVERY single moment or described action we have of him, then honestly how could he fall victim to such obvious breaks in character as to reference the dai'shain?

When does Taim act like a blunt bully?  When he rescues Rand?  Just because he's the "netweaver" doesn't mean Be'lal won't take strategic military action when necessary.  Remember how the AM kicked ass at the wells?  Taim knew that he would win before going in, he wasn't being blunt, he was being strategic.

Archived