DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite scenes

aevogt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

oh, wow. i just read the part in TSR when Perrin first returns to Two Rivers, and he fins out about his whole family all being dead. he first goes in to shock and then starts crying on Failes shoulder.

maybe it's this damn cold i've had the past week but that scene really got to me, not to the point of crying but i'll admit that my eyes did get a little moist and a small tear-drop managed to escape.

now that's good writing

Dumai's Wells("Asha'man, kill!", "Asha'man, rest!", "...kneel..., or you will be knelt."- pure awesome)

Rand in TFoH: "He was death."

The cleansing of the taint...the most important achievement of Rand so far, and the aftermath of that certainly deserves to be gone into in detail, don't you agree? That very most people in general just interpret it so completely wrong is also ace.

Rand's going nuts when he fries the Seanchan, the death of Adley, Fedwin Morr...that last one simply was sad.

The short paragraph where this one Seanchan officer, Abaldar Yulan, weeps for yet another defeat of the Ever Victorious Army, while Rand directly before that thinks HE had lost.

The whole Rand-Lanfear-affair also is just plain cool...Hope it'll kick in one more time in AMoL.

Perrin killing Rolan....I truly hope there'll be a nice, long argument between him and Faile because of that. Another sad scene, even tragic.

I love most of the ones above.

Some other ones I really liked:

When Rand and Mat are in Baerlon and Rand gets cocky with the White Cloaks

When Lan says to Nynaeve that she can channel without being angry after she has pulled him out of water in Ebou Dar

don't know if some said it but...

Taim: Kneel to the lord dragon, or you shall be knelt.

love to see those aes sedai taken down a peg. also i like any scene were the asha'man make people scared especially aes sedai. Another is when egewene declares the state of war with the tower and gets control of the hall.

I second the approval of Ashaman making people scared. I reckon thats Taims doing.

Taims "Let the Lord of Chaos rule," line in KoD prologue. One of my favorite bits in the series, that. And I like how he casually mentions Demandred when Rand tells him to leave Aes Sedai alone. He's so in your face about it and they dont even realise. Classic.

I like the part just after Moriaine died and Rand reads the letter she wrote. I like how he tries to force himself to mourn and fails, but then realises he was crying when Aviendha or whoever turned up. His reaction to her death was very realistic I think, considering how much he depended on her guidance towards the end.

Another of my ultiumate favorites is when Rand and Moridin become linked, and everything about their connection. I cant help but see it as a buidup to a one-on-one and Im cringing, I dont reckon it will happen in the end. Not as good as I want it to be, anyway.

OMG this is the best question ever

the reason these books have lasted so long when ,even robert jordan himself thought it might go for 3-4 books, is because every scene from the book is priceless

ive read the series 12 times through and every time i find something new

i still cry i still laugh lol i actually laugh out loud and people will be like what and im all you wouldnt get it

theres absolutly no slow parts never like a chapter you just wanna skip

one of my absolute favorites though is

when perrin and faile reunite in KoD i guess it does kinda spoil it when he bashes the guys head in who saved his wife but for a while it was bavk and forth on wether or not perrin would get her back

they are like my favorite characters so i like cried when her got to her :'(

the reason these books have lasted so long when ,even robert jordan himself thought it might go for 3-4 books, is because every scene from the book is priceless

Exaggeration. The last 5 books have a lot of filler material, unnecessary characters and many winding side plots. Rand was kept carefully out of the picture for much of the last two books as the plot would have to proceed to fast if he made an appearance.

Amazon Reviews: Crossroads of Twilight:

5 star -142

4 star -124

3 star -223

2 star -375

1 star -1556

Knife of Dreams:

5 star -117

4 star -121

3 star -99

2 star -77

1 star -110

Compare that to the Eye of the World:

5 star -998

4 star -315

3 star -149

2 star -114

1 star -126

The Eye of the World had 1702 reviews, Crossroads of Twilight 2420 and Knife of Dreams had 524.

Many reader lost interest totally with Book 10 and it's easy to sympathize with them. Note that COT has got 1556 one stars. Obviously these are people who enjoyed the series enough to get to book 10.

Many reader lost interest totally with Book 10 and it's easy to sympathize with them. Note that COT has got 1556 one stars. Obviously these are people who enjoyed the series enough to get to book 10.

That's as may be...I did not bother to read too many of the "reviews" as I myself liked CoT...It might not have its' own great action sequences, but, IMHO, has qualities of its' own. The vermin-plague kicking in, Shaidar Haran bringing Mesaana "into line", oh-so proud Egwene getting captured, Rand ready to walk into a fine trap...That the theory of a deistic Creator is brought forward is also just sweet, and never forget "We rode upon the rising storm..."  :P

I got certain problems with RJ's style myself, don't you think otherwise("headsman" is used a bit too often, as I see it), but looking at CoT's score I do not put all that much reliance in so-called reviews...

Exaggeration. The last 5 books have a lot of filler material, unnecessary characters and many winding side plots. Rand was kept carefully out of the picture for much of the last two books as the plot would have to proceed to fast if he made an appearance.

Amazon Reviews:

I disagree. I enjoyed all the books and found scenes of merit in all of them.

I do think Amazon Reviews utterly suck. One faction seems to dominate the reviews and more often than not the very worst reviews ends up on top. I take no advise from Amazon Reviews when buying a book. For electronic products or other items I read the reviews carefully. One crank can pull down a perfectly good product.

Audible.com reviews of all WOT books are much more favorable. The reviews are not dominated by the Amazon cliques.

I disagree. I enjoyed all the books and found scenes of merit in all of them.

I do think Amazon Reviews utterly suck. One faction seems to dominate the reviews and more often than not the very worst reviews ends up on top. I take no advise from Amazon Reviews when buying a book. For electronic products or other items I read the reviews carefully. One crank can pull down a perfectly good product.

Audible.com reviews of all WOT books are much more favorable. The reviews are not dominated by the Amazon cliques.

Then you're in the category of readers who rated all the books with 5 stars. (Nothing wrong with that of course)

Ratings for books are going to vary depending on the personality of the reader. When it comes to electronics, the only issues involved in rating are the efficiency of the product and the service of the manufacturer.

Probably the main reason for my disappointment with COD and KOD is the absence of Rand. I should have gotten someone to warn me beforehand. Else I wouldn't have turned every chapter expecting Rand to pop up.

I'd guess that the main reason why COT was rated so low on Amazon is the more or less stagnant plot, and the involvement of yet more characters. I'd have much preferred it if RJ had kept some of the characters back stage.

I started reading this series at the beginning of high school, now I am about to finish college, and I think I will have completed grad school, a postdoc, and gotten tenure by the time this series is finished. After finishing the first 6 books, I was mesmerized. They were outstanding; fantastic characters, cool story, etc. I started getting disappointed with book 8, and it has only gotten worse. Even after book 8, I defended the series to all of my disappointed friends who had thoughts of abandoning WOT, explaining away their criticisms saying that the recent unremarkable additions to the series were merely foreshadowing awesome events to come. But after reading book 10, I am going to have to side with them, my patience has worn thin. I don't think I will be able to abandon the series entirely, but I keep getting excited for the new releases only find myself frustrated and annoyed after finishing them.

As stated by many others, the plot goes absolutely nowhere in book 10. Nowhere! I still don't know how that is possible considering the size of the book, but it's true. As I pushed on through the book, I began to get worried because it didn't seem like anything big was going to happen, and that feeling climaxed to disappointment as I reached the end. Unfortunately, you can summarize this entire book in about five lines. Also, as previously stated by other reviewers, Rand, the main character mind you, barely plays a role and the other characters progress at a turtle's pace. I am talking about the slowest turtle that has ever been or will be on the face of the earth.

Robert Jordan needs to realize that he doesn't need to explain every little detail if he has already explained it before, multiple times. If you're reading book 10, chances are you have heard of Aiel, know what an Ajah is, and are familiar with the Seanchan. I like details, but I don't need them repeated to me just to fill up space. Considering that the cover price of this book was more than any of the others, I suggest the next one be free to all who purchased this one. I don't know how many more chances I can give Mr. Jordan to redeem himself.

This review has a lot of valid points, especially the unnecessary repetition of details.

I think most of those amazon "reviews" are the result of some people early when COT came out started whining about "Omg, no battles, this book sucks!", and then a bunch jumped the bandwagon. I think half of them have not even read the book.

come on, Ive been on amazon, and gone threw marking every book I could find as 1 star, thats obviously what happened, I think all the books so far have been great

Probably the main reason for my disappointment with COD and KOD is the absence of Rand. I should have gotten someone to warn me beforehand. Else I wouldn't have turned every chapter expecting Rand to pop up.

I'd guess that the main reason why COT was rated so low on Amazon is the more or less stagnant plot, and the involvement of yet more characters. I'd have much preferred it if RJ had kept some of the characters back stage.

I started reading this series at the beginning of high school, now I am about to finish college, and I think I will have completed grad school, a postdoc, and gotten tenure by the time this series is finished. After finishing the first 6 books, I was mesmerized. They were outstanding; fantastic characters, cool story, etc. I started getting disappointed with book 8, and it has only gotten worse. Even after book 8, I defended the series to all of my disappointed friends who had thoughts of abandoning WOT, explaining away their criticisms saying that the recent unremarkable additions to the series were merely foreshadowing awesome events to come. But after reading book 10, I am going to have to side with them, my patience has worn thin. I don't think I will be able to abandon the series entirely, but I keep getting excited for the new releases only find myself frustrated and annoyed after finishing them.

As stated by many others, the plot goes absolutely nowhere in book 10. Nowhere! I still don't know how that is possible considering the size of the book, but it's true. As I pushed on through the book, I began to get worried because it didn't seem like anything big was going to happen, and that feeling climaxed to disappointment as I reached the end. Unfortunately, you can summarize this entire book in about five lines. Also, as previously stated by other reviewers, Rand, the main character mind you, barely plays a role and the other characters progress at a turtle's pace. I am talking about the slowest turtle that has ever been or will be on the face of the earth.

Robert Jordan needs to realize that he doesn't need to explain every little detail if he has already explained it before, multiple times. If you're reading book 10, chances are you have heard of Aiel, know what an Ajah is, and are familiar with the Seanchan. I like details, but I don't need them repeated to me just to fill up space. Considering that the cover price of this book was more than any of the others, I suggest the next one be free to all who purchased this one. I don't know how many more chances I can give Mr. Jordan to redeem himself.

This review has a lot of valid points, especially the unnecessary repetition of details.

Sure, the repetition of details is there. Just as it is in every single book, including KOD, which was quite well recieved. It is a part of RJs writing style, and if you manage to read nine books without noticing this...

The comment about the plot going nowhere, that only shows that this bloke does not understand the concept of a series, or how a story is constructed. Perhaps he should try something more on his level, like Eddings.

I think half of them have not even read the book.

This is a big problem with Amazon reviews. Any dolt can post his opinion, whether he's read the book or not, and this same dolt gets to vote on whether or not some horrible review was helpful. It snowballs from there. And don't try to defend an unpopular book on Amazon. You'll be mauled by all the failed writers and literary posers who hang out there.

Audible.com's review system is quite radical. They actually require that you purchase the product from them before they let you review it.

To bring this back on thread -- favorite scene. In "The Shadow Rising". Perran and the men of the Two Rivers are heading back to Emonds Field after being defeated by the Trollocks. They start singing "Tarwin's Gap". I thought that was quite stirring.

• 2 weeks later...

I've said this before on a similar topic, but I like all of Mat's gambling/dicing scenes as well as Rand and Mat's encounter with Howal Gode in Four Kings. The fall of the Stone of Tear and the first use of the portal stone by Rand and Co. are also favorites of mine.

Archived