Leafburner

My opinions are

Rand: DragonReborn can't be DF

Mat: chief strategist(Odin) can't be black

Perrin: Wolfking, cant be black

Elayne, Min, Aviendha: survive Rand, his legacy, can't be black

Egwene: too important, will too strong, can't be black

Faile: Really Annoying but alas not black

Tuon: not black cuz Suroth and Semirahge wouldn't have sent an army for her head

Moraine: not black or she would've let the Trollocs kill whomever the wanted to on Winternight

Alivia: not black cuz she would've helped Lanfear if she were

Nyneave: not black cuz she could've killed 1 million times over if she were

Lan: not black cuz moraine would've known

Gawayn: not black but may do damage cuz he thinks rand killed his mother and took advantage of Elayne

Cadsuane: see Faile

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with DemandredFO but with maybe other reasons for some; and as for Egwen I believe she will be co-opted by the Secret Sisterhood of the Royal OATH ROD ,,, you know, the ones looking for BLACK ADJAH sisters and torchering and Oathing left and right ,,, she is a prime candidate for anyone with half a brain or better ,,, not because she may be suspect of being Black Adjah but because she can give them technical knowledge about Weaves like Traveling and other things and also because better to be safe than sorry and eliminate any dougbts about her,,, Egwene can also help them make safe contact with the Rebels and begin a seperate hunt there,,, and the Possibilities are endless and very fast paced and powerful from a writing point of view...

as to the high comand of the Aeil being Dark Friends , I dougbt it , and It will not unbalance the Last Battle at Tarman Gadeon if the entire Aeil Race shows up to fight the Trolics , there are BILLIONS of TROLICs

• 2 weeks later...

It would be utter genius if loial turned out to be a darkfriend.

He could end up killing someone really close to rand e.g. min, elayne or avienda. Or pretty much anyone of his choosing, considering no one would ever suspect him.

Imagine the shock if hed been biding his time, just waiting for the most devastating moment to pounce.

• 4 weeks later...

well I've just re read all 11 and I not sure i am any the wiser. But, it does seem like someone close to Rand or Elayne must be a DF as there are some strange coincidences - sorry can't name them.

Verin is highly suspect but I don't want to think she is and too many POV's seem to indicate good.

I think the characters that seem slightly suspect, like verin or cadsuane have secrets that i really hope are revealed in MOL. The key characters are definitely good and you can notice that RJ gives the 'goodies' honour.

So, even little things like Taim staring at Elayne's bottom, put him in the DF camp for me.

well I've just re read all 11 and I not sure i am any the wiser. But, it does seem like someone close to Rand or Elayne must be a DF as there are some strange coincidences - sorry can't name them.

Verin is highly suspect but I don't want to think she is and too many POV's seem to indicate good.

I think the characters that seem slightly suspect, like verin or cadsuane have secrets that i really hope are revealed in MOL. The key characters are definitely good and you can notice that RJ gives the 'goodies' honour.

So, even little things like Taim staring at Elayne's bottom, put him in the DF camp for me.

Elza has named herself one of Rand's chief gaurds, she is Black, although thanks to Verin her loyalty to those above her is suspect.

Well, I can't think of anyone who I think is a DF but I know of a few who aren't:

Mazrim Taim: He is not one of the Forsaken nor does he work for any of them. Taim is just a powerhungery Salaeaden channeler who still believes that he, himself, is the Dragon Reborn and who lives by the credo "Keep your freinds close and you enemies even closer." Thus he has formed an alliance with the False Dragon and potental usurper Rand al'Thor.

Aram: Not a DF just a disillusioned Tinker who is overcompensating for his years as a pacifist by becoming obsesed with violence and the sword. Despite his good intentions his new obsession will set him along a very self destructive path that will end up getting himself and nearly Perrin and Faile killed. I also predict that Aram's destructive behavior will end up getting some minor but well liked character such as Dannil Lewin killed.

Lord Weiramon: No way, this guy is too stupid for the DO to waste time with. He's just an idiot who would have starved to death years ago had he not been born into nobility.

Elaida: I know there is nothing new here and that most of us have already come to the conclusion that she is not Black Ajah. She's just a very arrogant woman who has overestimated her own abilites and has gotten in way over her head.

I think RJ included these four characters to demonstrate that all evil in the world is not caused by those of intentionally serve evil. Rather evil can also be brought into the world by those who profess themselves as good (and even believe it themselves) but who behave selfishly or iresponsibly or who are just plain ignorant.

Two items in the most recent book Knife of Dreams blows two of your statements out of the water.

First... Aram is dead. He was killed during the attack on Malden to recover Faile. He was not a darkfriend just a very troubled young man that fell awry of Masema.

Second... At the very end of KoD. The last page as a matter of fact. Taim says "Let the Lord of Chaos Rule." Coincidence? I don't believe RJ deals in coincidences.

Well, first off I have to join the people in the "I love Lanfear" camp. She was by far the most interesting Forsaken to me. I think she loved Lews Therin and power -- even though Lews said she only loved power, people are more willing to say things like "(S)he never loved me" when there's been a bitter break up or something. (Just my thoughts, probably not right...but hey that's what message boards are for!)

It isn't likely that Lanfear will turn good at the end, but she doesn't seem really happy now. She has lost much of her power since losing her body--she could turn back to save Rand in the end--she's unpredictable like that.

I was disappointed when she lost her body/power. She was so cool. Oh well.

As for people who are DFs, I dunno. It would be a way cool twist if one of Rand's women was a darkfriend, especially Min because she is so close to him -- it would be a huge blow. But that is almost impossible since they are supposed to survive Rand at the last battle and stand by his body or something...

I honestly don't think very many people will be revealed as DFs...which is sad. It would be awesome if one of the main characters was all along.

As for Elaida, yes she is horrible and annoying, but I think it would be cool if she realized the error in her ways in an "almost too late" fashion--like when they're being attacked and the Black Ajah is taking over or something, and so she gives it over to Egwene, who reunites the Aes Sedai and saves the world. Again--not likely but it'd be cool.

Guest cwestervelt
Two items in the most recent book Knife of Dreams blows two of your statements out of the water.

First... Aram is dead. He was killed during the attack on Malden to recover Faile. He was not a darkfriend just a very troubled young man that fell awry of Masema.

Second... At the very end of KoD. The last page as a matter of fact. Taim says "Let the Lord of Chaos Rule." Coincidence? I don't believe RJ deals in coincidences.

Only Aram being dead has any bearing. The Taim quote proves nothing. Taim might have come from a part of Saldea where "Lord of Chaos" was the title given to the guest of honor at the Feast of Fools. Everything against Taim is circumstantial, and nothing that can not be explained with at least 2 different interpretations, one damning and one benign. The amount of circumstantial evidence is suspicious in its own right.

In regard to Taim... If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck or flies like a duck. It is probably a duck. If he isn't currently a darkfriend he will be by the end. Just his attitude toward discipline in the final chapter of KoD indicates that he has the cruelty.

Guest cwestervelt
In regard to Taim... If it walks like a duck' date=' quacks like a duck or flies like a duck. It is probably a duck. If he isn't currently a darkfriend he will be by the end. Just his attitude toward discipline in the final chapter of KoD indicates that he has the cruelty.[/quote']

What's cruelty have to do with it? The average Taeren High Lord had a propensity for cruelty that would make any Darkfriend, maybe even a Trolloc, proud. Heck, they even had personal shortcuts from their personal quarters to the torture chambers in the Stone. That didn't make them Darkfriends. There isn't much that can be realistically said about Taim beyond him being an egomaniacal mad man.

Archived