DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Darkfriends Named and Shamed!

Leafburner

Didn't I TELL you to lay off Moiraine? :x

Well, I suppose you could say she's an Elza type of character, trying to make sure he must die at the Last Battle, but the fact of the matter is: IT'S NOT TRUE. Read New Spring. Please. And if you have, what are you on about?

Sorry if that's a bit vehement, but seriously ... Moiraine ...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Moiraine is kind of like a WoT equivalent of Rachel Greene for me." - Featherless Hawkwing

I'm sorry. I just need to clarify this. Are you comparing Moiraine to Jennifer Aniston's character from FRIENDS?

ARE YOU FRIGGIN' KIDDING ME???

Ick, you've tainted this thread forever! You are a friend of the dark. I scrawl the Dragon's Fang on your door! BLASPHEMER! BLASPHEMER!

Neither Jennifer Aniston nor her character of Rachel Greene is fit to hold a candle to Moiraine. You can feel like hitting me all you like, but that is by far the worst WOT comparison I have EVER heard.

No, no, no, you got it all wrong. I wasn't COMPARING her to Moiraine, I was just drawing a parallel. Rachel is my favorite character on Friends, and she kinda reminds me of my sister, so I'm always pro-Rachel in every argument. I only FEEL THE SAME WAY about Moiraine. I'm sick of people trying to name her Darkfriend, because since I'm a big fan, I'll take her side. See? It happens. You have a favorite character, for VERY different reasons, possibly. But you generally feel the same way about all your favorite characters, don't you?

I laughed at that. You SERIOUSLY thought it was a comparison? Well, my words might have suggested it, but what I said after was I'm always pissed off by her detractors. Well, not pissed off, precisely, but I have a bias, as do we all.

It's like, you have REASON to not like someone, but it doesn't make a difference. I didn't like Moiraine originally, we saw her through Rand's eyes, and Rand thought she was a sanctimonious bitch.

I'm going ON AND ON again, but what the hell. Sorry if I might have caused any chokings, regurgitations, heart attacks and/or brain aneurysms...

If you carry out that threat, I will make you PAY for the door.

I'm kidding... Don't yell again...

Guest cwestervelt

She may be evil and cruel, but she'd likely get an acquital on an insanity defense. Lanfear's an egomaniacal nut case in need of some serious therapy. I think she comes about as close to the definition of schizophrenic as is possible.

From wikipedia.org http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenic

Schizophrenia is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a mental disorder characterized by impairments in the perception or expression of reality and by significant social or occupational dysfunction.

Impaired perception and social disfunctionality... Check.

A person experiencing untreated schizophrenia is typically characterized as demonstrating disorganized thinking, and as experiencing delusions or auditory hallucinations.

Disorganized thinking and hearing things... Her mood swings kind of keep her thoughts going all over the place... Don't really know about voices... Half a check?

Although the disorder is primarily thought to affect cognition, it can also contribute to chronic problems with behavior and emotion.

Chronic behaviour and emotion problems. Does flipping back and forth between undying love and undying hatred count as emotional problems? I think so. Any behaviour issues? Only when she wants to kill someone which is every other minute so I think that counts. So, that would be a double check.

Guest cwestervelt

I don't think much of her or any of the Forsaken. For the most part, they aren't anything that special. People expect too much from them because of the distortion 3000 years has done to the truth.

Even with Lanfear's undoubtedly schizophrenic condition, many, many people still have reason to hate her. Hundreds of deaths lie at her feet. She has tried to play mindgames with, attack, and try to otherwise kill, many people we know personally in the books. She is one of the Forsaken. Her story, though the world at large (Luckers' "ignorant masses" - I agree) is not aware of it, is one of the most horrific of the Chosen. She freed the Dark One. She proclaimed him her master in the Hall of Servants. She is the most powerful channeler of saidar there has ever been. And she is insane.

Even without the craziness that can be called upon as a motive for any and all of her actions, except for ignorance at the Collam Daan, Lanfear is a BAD PERSON, one of the villains in the tale, and probably the one that had people jumpiest. I, for one, was not bothered by the "Dark One" in Rand's bedroom, but to have Lanfear there, in the flesh, with Rand unable to channel... you wonder what the hell he's gonna do.

I liked Selene better than Lanfear. Selene was apparently sane, and even though she appeared to be a golddigger, I still liked her because of the way Rand saw her. And I always thought she was Lanfear. From day one. I got calls from people reading the second book, going "Lanfear!"

But Lanfear is awesome. There is no reason other than that, to like her. Yet, clearly, so many people do.

When's Leafburner coming back to this thread? I can't have him believing I was comparing Rachel to Moiraine... and I WASN'T.

You see, i find Lanfear to be fairly uninteresting. She lets her emotions guide her and that made her weak--sammael had the same problem. Frankly i find Forsaken like Graendal and Semirhage both infinitely more interesting, and dangerous.

Guest cwestervelt

Lanfear doesn't let her emotions guide her. She lets her emotions control her. That's quite a big difference.

No Flaming Please...

I always thought (before the doorway anyway) that it would be cool if Lanfear could be turned to the light...seemed like she just always wanted loved to me....

Now I realize she was/is a bad girl, I just think it would be cool for the light to oh STEAL a darkfriend (especially one of the chosen :twisted: )away for good

You do remember Ingtar, don't you? I'd say his defection back to the Light was fairly significant. It's one of the best moments in the entire series from my POV.

Granted he's not a Foresaken, but the Foresaken wouldn't be the Foresaken if they kept changing teams. And even if they said they'd changed teams you couldn't believe them. because they'd do whatever they wanted to ensure their own power and survival.

Oh yes I remember Ingtar and agree it was one of the best parts of the series...which is exactly why I would like to see the "possibly" most human of all the forsaken turned to the light by something more precious than an empty promise of mortality and power...namely love.

God Im such a romantic! :roll:

Guest cwestervelt

I don't think what Lanfear has for Lews Therin can be called "love" except for in the loosest terms. Obsession yes, love no.

I'd say Logain cuz every time I turn around, people are accusing Taim of various DF/Chosen ties. I just think it is too obvious and dumped into by RJ to actually be true. I can see Logain biding his time, building up his base of support, striking out when least expected at Rand and Taim of all people coming to Rand's rescue with his own band of special Asha'man (off topic is that the same plural or is it Asha'men?) and Logain fleeing with his own cabal to become the new dreadlords along with the Black Ajah (dreadladies maybe?) so fight at TG. And of course he can gain untold glory by becoming the new Nae'blis after Moridin dies or even perhaps both them dying and Logain's body used as Ishamael/Moridin's new body which would explain why Min saw the vision of glory over Logain as Moridin is Nae'blis. Plus, I don't see him as being very repentant or happy with the fact that he is under his previous position as being Mr. Dragon Reborn and he could have the new Demandred envy/hatred of Rand for taking what he wanted.What better way to get what he wanted than to become the Shadow version of the DR and kill the DR himself (or apparently so according Eggy's dream I believe) Not likely, the way things are going, but who knows? I would also invite the opportunity for you people who have more recent knowledge than I do to tell me why Logain is so good (I don't need the facts about Taim's evilness thank you very much... quite sick of it).

• 4 weeks later...

i think that the sisters in the tower, seaine, pevara and that lot , will at least find out about Alviarin but probably wont be able to get her though I hope they do.

Theres no way either Verin or Cadsuane are black. Verin may noit have been poisoning cadsuane at all. It could have been something to make cadsuane be more open or completly honest. Kinda like veritaserum in Harry Potter

No, it was a poison that Verin held. We see her obtain it from Sorilea several chapters before, with strict warnings to never use more then three drops or you will never wake. Also she only conciders poisoning her once, and stops when Cadsuane shows she is on Rand's side.

I also don't think Sheriam is actually black. The evidence certainly indicates that something is going on with her, but i dont think that it is her being black... its something else.

• 3 weeks later...
I always thought (before the doorway anyway) that it would be cool if Lanfear could be turned to the light...seemed like she just always wanted loved to me....

I really agree. I mean, in all honesty, after all she's done, its pretty much like rooting for a snail to win the hundred meter dash, but hey throw some salt behind that snail and I'd bet it'll hurry up!

All salt aside, though, I'm pretty sure she won't turn. I'd like to see it though..

I really agree. I mean, in all honesty, after all she's done, its pretty much like rooting for a snail to win the hundred meter dash, but hey throw some salt behind that snail and I'd bet it'll hurry up!

All salt aside, though, I'm pretty sure she won't turn. I'd like to see it though..

I don't think she wanted love. Lews Therin knows her best and he himself said all she ever loved was power. That's what she wants, and that's why she's a lost cause.

Archived