DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

books 7 onward

Maverick

i've already asked this in another thread but i thought i'd start one specificaly so that i could get lots of feedback.

i've just finished lord of chaos and am about to start a crown of swords, however i'm a bit apprehensive of starting because i have heard and read online that the quality of the books decreases and they tend to becom just padding to stretch the story.

can i have your guys opinions on books 7-11

No spoilers please

thanks for replying.

i was never going to skip them i was just a bit worried that an excellent series was gonna start going a bit pear shaped lol.

i intend to start on a crown of swords tonight by the way

• Community Administrator

People who have read the books when they first came out, find that the later ones tend to "draw out" while people who have just picked up the books, don't notice it as much as the oldies. Simply because they didnt have to wait 1-2 years for a book to come out...

Also, little hint when you read reviews about movies/books/games. Don't listen to them, make your own judgment. Go into a movie, with negative thoughts, you'll walk out with negative thoughts.. go in with positive, you'll come out with positive... Go in neutral, you'll see what the movie really is.

While the biggest complaint about some of the books has been the divergent storylines. They have their purpose, and some of the best Mat scenes (everyone's favorite character it seems) are in those books. It become worthwhile in KOD, the best book in the series INMHO.

Guest Egwene

Crossroads of Twilight left me completely frustrated, but in the sense of having had only a bite of something really delicious when I was expecting a whole plate full. Instead it dawned on me that I would have to wait yet a bit longer for that plate full. But as I said... the bite was still delicious.

I loved every book and read them each really more like a chapter of one huge book. The so-called slower ones really just string the bow of expectation and anticipation as tight as possible before loosening the arrow.

I think the only reason people felt the books dragged was because they had to wait years between books for the story to continue. If you're going to read on now you'll have the next book ready for each one you finish.

Oh, and never let the opinions of others determine whether or not you want to read something.

I have to admit that books 7-11 spend more time developing the storyline, but I enjoyed it just as much as the earlier books, the more time a author spends on the characters the more real the world seems to become, which makes reading even better. :D

You'll find from now on that each book tends to centre around one particular character - one around Egwene, one Mat, one Perrin. Obviously all of them are largely based around Rand, but you need to really read all of the seperate story lines, to understand what is happening. You will find that something will happen in one book, with one character, and you can see how it will affect the other characters. All interesting, although sometimes they do draw on, especially after the speed of the first few books.

I would argue that neither CoT nor KoD is very centered around Rand. He's barely in either.

I agree that RJ was tying up loose ends with CoT and KoD. Its like any plot device where you have a calm leading up to the storm. It just so happens the story is so huge in writing that it takes a couple of books to do it.

I am one who enjoys epics, the longer the better. Now my wife couldn't read these books ever. She needs to know the point now.

It is frustrating sometimes when in the course of one conversation, a character like Lan goes through fifty different looks and voice changes. His voice was like soft like silk covered steel is soft. Then his voice is cold as winter. Then it is twice as much lava as it was ice a moment before. Yeah that gets a little frustrating. But they are still great books.

It's true that later in the series the books are paced noticeably slower and more attention is given to filler. However, the only book I really thought was overdone was book 10. I didn't think it was necessary to make a specific point in moving the story along by using up hundreds of pages to do so.

Your mileage may vary.

dont give up on book 7, one of fav scenes is towards the end of that book, and it would truly be a shame if you missed out.

book 8 is a bit slow imo, but its short, soooo...

book 9 gets a 9/10

book 10 gets an 8

book 11 gets a 15/10

keep at it; you'll be vindicated and you'll love the journey

even though book 7 isnt the most lively of books through it, i actually found that it was one of my favs, and book 8 isnt that bad. the only "bad" book ive found was book 10, but only in that not heaps of action occurs, and thats why many people say they dont like it. i thought it was pretty clever actually, and after knife of dreams, can really appreciate what was established in book 10. id suggest u finish the series, and odds are youll thoroughly enjoy it, but that doesnt mean youll love every minute, people whove finished the series will understand when i mention book 10 (or is it 9?) onwards elayne povs *shudder*

The series is fine until you get to book 10. The pace of the book is erratic. I am currently re-reading it and it has taken me twice as long to read this one as it has any of the others. RJ takes three chapters of 'blah' to set up one chapter of 'cool'. And he did the same thing in the last book.

But, you MUST read them all. They are still better than most of the crap out there.

I think that books 7-10 pretty much were not anywhere close to the quality of the earlier books. They each disappointed me. The last book was the first since LOC that I actually thought was good. Some of my friends actually stopped reading the series because the books got so bad. Still, its worth it to read but little happens in these books and often what does happen is pretty irrelevant to the outcome of the story. You could easily erase half of what is in those books (7-10) and it would not impact the overall story one iota.

• Community Administrator

I disagree. The story isn't like a historic novel dealing with battle A led to battle B. The book IS more so along the lines of character development, which can only be done in the said way he did it, as well as all the dialgue helps show exactly why said things are happening the way they are happening.

i have read alot of fantasy novels, and none of them give you the sense of a familar story that you always enjoyed reading and will read many times like this series does. There are points of the books that ARE frustrating, COT is a tad slow and the whole faile thing, but i would not call them bad books. Just not as good as the rest. There are far worse series out there and the critics are far fewer than the people who love the series. If it was not like that then there would not be 11 books. Also i do agree that if you are now picking up the series for the first time now then you are lucky, because it has been a sllloooooow time getting to book 11 and finally 12

Archived