DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moments that...kinda stuck a chord.

I was just thinking about the infamous 'gasp moment' and it reminded me of a scene in the books that... kinda stuck a chord with me. I was just wondering if anybody else had a particular scene that, while not necessarily your favorite; left an impression on you.

For me, that scene was in The Shadow Rising: Ch26 The Dedicated

Regarding the Da'shain Aiel:

"You Da'shain have more courage than...Ten Thousand Aiel linking arms and singing, trying to remind a madman of who they were and who he had been, trying to turn him with their bodies and a song. Jaric Mondoran killed them. He stood there, staring as though at a puzzle, killing them, and they kept closing their lines and singing. I am told he listened to the last Aiel for almost an hour before destroying him."

The Shadow Rising, Chapter 29. Perrin comes back to Emond's Field to find his entier family gone. It takes him about five pages to let his feelings out.

Whenever any character has really strong feelings of one kind or another, it usualy "strikes a chord" with me. More so with sever despair, or strong love than others, but any really strong feeling.

I was just thinking about the infamous 'gasp moment' and it reminded me of a scene in the books that... kinda stuck a chord with me. I was just wondering if anybody else had a particular scene that, while not necessarily your favorite; left an impression on you.

For me, that scene was in The Shadow Rising: Ch26 The Dedicated

Regarding the Da'shain Aiel:

"You Da'shain have more courage than...Ten Thousand Aiel linking arms and singing, trying to remind a madman of who they were and who he had been, trying to turn him with their bodies and a song. Jaric Mondoran killed them. He stood there, staring as though at a puzzle, killing them, and they kept closing their lines and singing. I am told he listened to the last Aiel for almost an hour before destroying him."

Sorry I probably know the scene... then again I don't remember that quote about the Da'shain Aiel either. What exactly is the infamous gasp scene? Now I'm also going to have to go and read TSR again to get that Aiel quote too. *SIGH*  ;D 

SPOILERS FOR KOD

I guessing by the 'infamous gasp scene' TDR means the scene in KoD, that RJ told us will make us all gasp. Something about and earlier books scene having grave consequences. I don't think this scene did that to many. I believe the scene is the Amayar's mass suicide.

SPOILERS FOR KOD

I guessing by the 'infamous gasp scene' TDR means the scene in KoD, that RJ told us will make us all gasp. Something about and earlier books scene having grave consequences. I don't think this scene did that to many. I believe the scene is the Amayar's mass suicide.

I wasn't trying to link the scenes in any way...I was reading up on the 'gasp moment' here on the Forum and it just kinda brought that scene to mind for me.

I think it's fairly obvious that the 'gasp moment' was meant to be the Amayar's mass suicide, how well RJ achieved his intent is debatable though.

Sorry I probably know the scene... then again I don't remember that quote about the Da'shain Aiel either. What exactly is the infamous gasp scene? Now I'm also going to have to go and read TSR again to get that Aiel quote too. *SIGH*  ;D 

The Da'shain Aiel are basically the ancestors of the Aiel, Jenn Aiel and the Tinkers. They were around during the AoL and were highly respected in society. They were entirely peaceful (like modern Tinkers) They used to help grow crops by singing with the Ogier, Channelers and a Nym.

IMO:

when rand bursts out of the box and the entire scene at the wells.

the scene that has a recovering mat taking a wager against galad and gawyn, and hammers speech after.

Taim's formal introduction to Rand.

when mat bows to egwene in saldar, that was quite touching.

a little something in the wine.

all great scenes. those are the one that pop out for me. there are more but i dont want to take up too much time.lol

The scene where Caddy tells Rand that he has been using Callandor((SP?)) wrong, coupled with the time that he 'was the storm'.

It just struck me of how ignorant Rand is, even though he is a fantastic channeler, he's not on par with Aes Sedai, because he is just plain ignorant of so many subjects.

I wasn't trying to link the scenes in any way...I was reading up on the 'gasp moment' here on the Forum and it just kinda brought that scene to mind for me.

I think it's fairly obvious that the 'gasp moment' was meant to be the Amayar's mass suicide, how well RJ achieved his intent is debatable though.

I think it didn't work mainly because he told us there would be one and we were all looking for it.

Both of those scenes, the Empire being gone, and specially the Amayar suicide did nothing for me. As someone on wotmaina (I think) wrote, the only thing cool from that scene was that Logain got another awesome one-liner. ;)

Ingtar's last stand, the Da'shain aiel, a little something in the cup were all moving for me. The other scenes people have listed are also good, but more in an action kinda way. The Mat vs. Galad and Gawyn being the top one!

There was a scene in KoD when Eggy was talking to Leane(?) and the white sisters guarding her were having a three sided argument, that was getting real heated.

I thought maybe that was a nod to all the fans arguing plot points on message boards.

Ingtar's last stand is up there - also Elayne standing up to the Sisters in Tylen's (sp?) palace about how Egwene, the Amyrline they rose, had sent them on the mission, so there was no more important mission and she and Nynaeve were in control and were Aes Sedai. She had noticed how age didn't matter amongst Aes Sedai, it was how strong they were in the power, and she, Nynaeve and Egwene were the most powerful of nearly all the Aes Sedai.

Perrin's scene with the wolves in LoC.

They have caged shadowkiller. That was what the wolves called Rand, though he did not know if they would care.

The shock filling his mind was answer enough, and howles filled the night near and far. We come. Came Half Tail's response. The came the response of other packs, packs he had spoken to and packs that had merely listened. We come. Nothing more.

Guest silver89

Perrin's scene with the wolves in LoC.

They have caged shadowkiller. That was what the wolves called Rand, though he did not know if they would care.

The shock filling his mind was answer enough, and howles filled the night near and far. We come. Came Half Tail's response. The came the response of other packs, packs he had spoken to and packs that had merely listened. We come. Nothing more.

Yes that one gave me goose-bumps. The one for me is when Rand in despair tries to re-animate the child in the Stone of Tear in tSR. I really felt for him there.

I always liked when Nynaeve heals Logain and when Rand cleansed sadin. But my favourite part by far is at the Wells. That whole section is great. First they're torturing him almost to death and he smiles in spites of it, and then he cracks in the box and starts laughing maniacally and they think he's crying. Finally the big rescue, and him breaking out... awsome...

Two scenes that I found touching involve Loial.

the first one in TDR when Perrin Asks him to watch his back as he follows Faile into the dream. Failes reaction to hearing that Faile was trapped was both Touchiung and Scary. Hearing Mild bookish Loial in a rage over Failes Capture and his promise that not even the dark one would pass the door.

Then in TSR when Faile tells Perrin about what Loial had been doing during the battle in the Stone. Herding all the children & thier mothers into a room and guarding them.

that really got me.

Egwene meeting her toh before she leaves for Salidar was one of my favourite scenes. I felt like that was the pinnacle of her growth after so long with the Wise Ones.

The Mat/Tylin scenes were also one of the funniest for me. Especially the part where she finally 'catches' him, and he tries to put Olver between them.

Elayne's rescue in KoD is probably my favourite battle scene. You can just see it, they're making what would have been a fruitless charge head on with the Black Ajah. And just as it looks like it's all over, the Sea Folk come through with lightning bolts. Then without so much as a pause, they go on to take down the other claimants to the throne.

I really like when Mat strikes a deal with the Sea Folk in Ebou Dar, it´s a nice one. Another favourite is when Perrin together with the folk in Emond´s field have fended of the trollocks and the tell the white cloaks to go somewhere south...

I also agree with Elmis about Mat vs. Gawyn and Galad. It´s a great scene

Okay, first post, was reading through The Shadow Rising and came to the chapters "The Road to the Spear" and "The Dedicated."  First of all, had to read through these chapters a couple of times and still not quite sure how all of Rand's visions of Aiel history fit together.  THEN I get to the vision that apparently takes place during the breaking of the world and RJ is writing about Jo-Cars (hovercrafts?) and Sho-Wings (aircraft?) and battlefield communications?  What the heck!  As typical with RJ, just when he floors with something, he moves onto another narrative and leaves you hanging!  So what gives - I am still working my way through the series so don't spoil it too much.  Has WOT suddenly taken on a Terry Brooks flavor, meaning that the world is not a world of the past but a world of the future or some kind of future or did I read all of this wrong.

And if this post needs to go somewhere else I apologize - but this by far is the moment thus far that has struck a major chord with me. 

Okay, first post, was reading through The Shadow Rising and came to the chapters "The Road to the Spear" and "The Dedicated."  First of all, had to read through these chapters a couple of times and still not quite sure how all of Rand's visions of Aiel history fit together.  THEN I get to the vision that apparently takes place during the breaking of the world and RJ is writing about Jo-Cars (hovercrafts?) and Sho-Wings (aircraft?) and battlefield communications?  What the heck!  As typical with RJ, just when he floors with something, he moves onto another narrative and leaves you hanging!  So what gives - I am still working my way through the series so don't spoil it too much.  Has WOT suddenly taken on a Terry Brooks flavor, meaning that the world is not a world of the past but a world of the future or some kind of future or did I read all of this wrong.

And if this post needs to go somewhere else I apologize - but this by far is the moment thus far that has struck a major chord with me. 

It probably should be elsewhere, but the Captain Tightpants won me over.

Our world is the First Age of their world, though RJ's construction of a wheel means that we are both their future and their past. There are several other references to our world. Here are a few.

Alsbet Queen of All = Queen Elizabeth.

Mosk and Merc and their lances of fire = Moscow and America and nuclear weapons (the cold war).

Matarese Mother of the Wonderous Ind = Mother Taresa.

There are plenty more.... Ann Landers, Mercedes symbols and abandoned satelite dishes being some. But yes, it is the future of our world.

But more specifically, the Age of Legends was an Age of power wrought technology. Their devices were based on the power and standing weaves, not on the electrical physics of our time. Jo-cars and Sho-wings both worked from the Power.

It probably should be elsewhere, but the Captain Tightpants won me over.

Our world is the First Age of their world, though RJ's construction of a wheel means that we are both their future and their past. There are several other references to our world. Here are a few.

Alsbet Queen of All = Queen Elizabeth.

Mosk and Merc and their lances of fire = Moscow and America and nuclear weapons (the cold war).

Matarese Mother of the Wonderous Ind = Mother Taresa.

There are plenty more.... Ann Landers, Mercedes symbols and abandoned satelite dishes being some. But yes, it is the future of our world.

But more specifically, the Age of Legends was an Age of power wrought technology. Their devices were based on the power and standing weaves, not on the electrical physics of our time. Jo-cars and Sho-wings both worked from the Power.

Oh that's cool.  Thanks!

Archived