DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin as Lord of Two Rivers ( who loves it and who hates it)

Kass

I have read that some people love that Perrin is the Lord of the Two Rivers. For me it was a big dissapointment. I loved the Two Rivers as the people with no lord and that they were proud of that fact. This really just ruined that whole area for me. How about you? What do you think about the Two Rivers having a lord and it being Perrin?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest silver89

I love the idea, in my opinion it was bound to happen.

The Two Rivers needed someone to follow after the Trolloc's started to appear. They were in desparate need of someone, anyone to take charge and tell them what to do. Someone who could tell them that if they do this, this and this, everything would be alright. The job fell to Perrin because he saw their need and acted.

I have read that some people love that Perrin is the Lord of the Two Rivers. For me it was a big dissapointment. I loved the Two Rivers as the people with no lord and that they were proud of that fact. This really just ruined that whole area for me. How about you? What do you think about the Two Rivers having a lord and it being Perrin?

I completely agree. It doesn't help that Perrin really annoys me lol.

I never saw/ see Perrin as a true lord. More a leader. I've always seen lords as someone who collects taxes.

But in the sense of this, I like it. I've always seen it of the Wheel forcing him into the position of power. Same as with Mat.

doesnt perrin collect taxes? or faile in perrin's name... i seem to remember her collecting percentages from merchants petitioning to be allowed to set up shop in edmond's field...

but yea the two rivers seemed to have a working if semi dysfunctional representative government,and now they have a lord again... next thing you know they'll have a warrior class and a standing army

I personally love the idea. Most of it was probably Failes's doing but can you blame her? She was raised a lady, and who doesn't try to make her surroudnigs similar that that from whence we came. IE family life. The two rivers needed to be led. It was a natural consequence of him taking the reins of leadership and unifying a people. Thats all he really did was unify them. They were all trying to cling to their two rivers independance and for a large part they still retain it. They would have been killed withour reliquishing they're indpenance in the face of trollocs. He is the Lord by default. He is really only the Lord since the Mayor and the womens circle defer to him as such. He is even bewildered that it has happened. If they went on living life the way they had been perrin would jsut be a citizen of note with a large house.

The storm is coming, and all people need someone to rally around when the time comes. Of our three main characters Perrin wasd the perfect choice. Rand can't care about his home, he can't seem to favor them and he has too much to think about to have their survival his main concern. Mat wouldn't even want to stay and look after everyone and make sure things are going smoothly. Perrin, however, is fiercly loyal, tries to make sure everyone is treated fairly (even captured Aes Sedai), and would like nothing more than to remain in TR after the trolloc scenes, but is pulled away by the strings.

Hmm :-\, as for the Two Rivers needing leadership I thought it would have been nice for the old blood to come through, and for Tam, who had more experience than Perrin ever did, to help out with planning. Also, I thought that the people would be more comfortable following those they knew usually made wise decisions. The truth is this is probably one of the parts that I found most unbelievable in the whole WOT. The people just chose to follow the young ruffian who stupidly, as most of the Two Rivers people see, as said in the first books, ran off to see the whole world. He has also changed completely since he had gone, which would make it less plausible. Like I said earlier, I found this whole thing a massive dissapointment for me from RJ. I found it to go against what I love most about WOT, that most of it is believable, if saidir and saidin could happen. It all really annoyed me.

Did anyone else get a little irritated at Andor's response to "Lord Perrin"? "Oh tens of thousends of trollics are attacking Edmond's Field? That's a terrible shame...too bad we have more important things to do.  WHAT?! They acually came together to drive away the impending threat and now they raised a lord!? They raised a flag to Manatheran?! How dare those ungrateful bastards!? They belong to US! Who cares that we haven't given two figs about the two rivers or Edmond's field for dozens of years!? They'll pay for this!"

I mean come ON!

Keep in mind that this was while Rhavin was ruling, in all but name. Most likely, Morgase didn't even hear about the Trolloc attack (the Whitecloaks tried really hard to keep it all "hush-hush", even with Fain spreading the word about, and Morgase only got the tidbits that Rhavin threw her), and she only heard about the raising of the flag of Manetheren because Tallanvor went and told her. And, if you think about it, Morgase kinda stoped carring about it when she started running from Rhavin.

As said Rhavin was in control then and who knows maybe he laid a compulsion weave on Nori and others to make them not investigate too much.  Also Elayne only got there in Path of Daggers and that was only a few months ago Randland time.  She has had plenty of others things on her mind and it's not like Elayne has sent troops there.  Also, as we all Elayne is a bit impetuous and rash.  Lastly, they no longer have Caldazar because Perrin, like the idiot he is, gave it to the Seanchan.

As to Tam, if he survives Tarmon Gai'don he may become more important because, at the very least, Perrin will be the Prince Consort to the Queen of Saldea.  It's very likely Bashere and Tenobia will die, perhaps all the borderland rulers.

Keep in mind that this was while Rhavin was ruling, in all but name. Most likely, Morgase didn't even hear about the Trolloc attack (the Whitecloaks tried really hard to keep it all "hush-hush", even with Fain spreading the word about, and Morgase only got the tidbits that Rhavin threw her), and she only heard about the raising of the flag of Manetheren because Tallanvor went and told her. And, if you think about it, Morgase kinda stoped carring about it when she started running from Rhavin.

Ah but afterwords when she escaped from the Senchan and hooked up with Perrin's party she sees the flag and nearly has apolexy.  Also Elayne has a similar reaction when she finds out about it.  I can't quite recall what book THAT one is in but I remember being very angry with Elayne over her presumptousness. (pretty sure that's spelled wrong)

Elayne didn't know about the Trolloc attacks.  All she knew was that "someone" in the west had raised the banner of Manetheren, and declared that they ruled part of her kingdom.  I doubt she will react the same way when she hears the whole story ... which she's likely to in the next book.

Look, I'm the first to admit Elayne is quite uppity, but her reaction is reasonable based on what she knows ... which isn't much.

It was quite natural for Andorian leaders (Morgase and Elayne) to be concerned about the Two Rivers Raising the flag of Manatheren.  That fabled banner could easily inspire people who have been torn by civil war, Ashamen a borderlands army at their doorsteps and another sizable army (the Red Hand)entering their lands into joining a Manatherian revival.  Remember a large portion of Andor was part of Manatheren. 

Second, reports of trollic attacks wew fuzzy at best so the motivation for raising the banner would not be appreciated.  Under these circumstances any Andorian leader would see the raising od the Manatheranian banner as a threat not only to their authority but to the survival of Andor.

I don't know how it will turn out, but i'm curious to see if "Lord Perrin" will give his allegiance to Andor, as it would bind Andor in a sense with Saldea given that he has a pretty high standing noble as a wife in Faile. 

Not that Perrin is connected to the ruling house of Andor or anything, but it creates a tie. 

The thing is that people in the Two Rivers on several occassions have stated that they don't even remember being a part of Andor at all...so if Elayne tries to reintegrate them I wonder how that will go.

I firmly believe that Perrin has been groomed by RJ to raise the banner (and rebuild the kingdom) of Manetheren. The Two Rivers folk are proud of having "no queen", but they are even more proud to call Perrin their leader. If an outsider, such as Elayne, tried to integrate them into Andor or even tried to rebuild Manetheren she would be shot down. However, Perrin is Two Rivers born and bred; saved the Two Rivers when threatened by Trollocs; and brought a general stability and prosperity to a region that was previously only supported by its wool and tabac sales.

Perrin will be lord in Two Rivers. However, I think it will be King of Manetheren.

I think that with Mat already getting lined up to be powerful, and Rand being the Dragon Reborn and all, it was only natural that Perrin would come into power somehow.

Honestly, with Mat's lining, I thought he was going to rule Manetheren, especially with all his dreams and speaking.

I think that with Mat already getting lined up to be powerful, and Rand being the Dragon Reborn and all, it was only natural that Perrin would come into power somehow.

Honestly, with Mat's lining, I thought he was going to rule Manetheren, especially with all his dreams and speaking.

ya that probalby wouldve made more sensee

Never mind that, remember that Perrin has bigger claims than Lord of the Two Rivers these days...Alliandre's oath of fealty gives him rights to Ghealdan. Also there is the ties an titles that marrying Faile provided....Hell, he could end up a King!

Still, not set up that way in the first couple of books. Which is what you do in series.

Never mind that, remember that Perrin has bigger claims than Lord of the Two Rivers these days...Alliandre's oath of fealty gives him rights to Ghealdan. Also there is the ties an titles that marrying Faile provided....Hell, he could end up a King!

Still, not set up that way in the first couple of books. Which is what you do in series.

But not how RJ always wrote. There was nothing in the first books to indicate Mat becoming nobility. Who says the same cannot be true of Perrin.

Some one please correct me if im wrong, but isn't there considerable talk, between everyone but Faile and Perrin, about "waht marrying Faile ment" and the broken crown (whatever that is).

Archived