DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who should finish MOTL?

Lunan

While I prefer GRRM to RJ, I think he'd be the wrong choice to finish AMoL. I think he could write a good book with the plot that RJ laid out, but I worry that the tone would be too far removed from WoT. I suppose if he wanted to emulate RJ's style, he is probably capable of coming close, but it would depend on a conscious decision to do so, not on a natural similarity.

Of the rest, I've only read Jacqueline Carey so far. I think what I've read of her is all from female perspective (fuzzy memories), so I'm not sure how she'd take to writing pov's for the multitude of male characters in WoT. She could be quite good at it, I just don't know/remember from experience.  Luckers - I think you'd find her original Kushiel's Dart trilogy a good choice for a future read. I've been planning a re-read of it, and would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive me for being crass, but being the impatient person that I am, I'm wondering what is going on with the Prolouge that RJ mentioned a few months ago.  I assume that if he were willing to mention it then, it must have been pretty much finished before his death.

Along the same lines, RJ mentioned on numerous occasion that he had known the ending since the beggining, and that he was writing towards that ending, It makes me wonder if he in fact had written that ending chapter, or if it will be up to another to write it from his notes and dictations.

I think, and its been some time since I've read anything from her, but Melanie Rawn would do a good job of finishing things up as well.  However if she took as long to finish WoT as she has finishing Exiles......

P.S. 

If Too were to release the prolouge in e-book form like they have for the last few books, I think it would be an awesome idea for the proceeds of the prolouge to be donated to Mayo.

I think that a different approach may be interesting - The title, AMOL, can be read as a tribute to RJ as much as the title of the last book.

Why not have Harriet, WIlson, TD, editors, etc. Outline and write about all of the notes that RJ left. This could be a book in and of itself and include cool stuff about RJ.

Then a group of RJ APPROVED writers can each write a section of the story. Dividing the book up into sections and then having "Section One: as seen through the eyes of Nei Gaiman" would be cool without trying to pin someone into trying to mimic RJ's style - which can't be done (just ask Mario Puzo). You could even option it to several writers and pick who does thebest job with it.

I really couldn't care lesswho finished it. I'd still buy it if i was finished by Mickey Mouse.  All that i care about is that the new co-author at least READs the entire series before trying to finish something based upon nots and dictaion. There is far too many sub plots that i fear would be glossed over if left to fester without knowing the whole story.

While I prefer GRRM to RJ, I think he'd be the wrong choice to finish AMoL. I think he could write a good book with the plot that RJ laid out, but I worry that the tone would be too far removed from WoT. I suppose if he wanted to emulate RJ's style, he is probably capable of coming close, but it would depend on a conscious decision to do so, not on a natural similarity.

I think I agree with you about GrrM being a good choice.    Both RJ and GrrM are/were great for detail and though GrrMs stories tend to be a little darker, he is familiar with working with other authors and seems to be able to adjust that aspect when the need arises.

Also from GrrM's comments on his site - he had a lot of respect for RJ as well as fond memories.

The only problem with this is that GrrM seems to be burning the candle at both ends already just trying to handle his current commitments.    I don't think he has the time to take on anything else, especially something of this magnitude.    Even if it would only be a onetime shot.

Those other authors are quite good - but significantly below RJ and GrrM.   It is a big problem.

I've heard a lot of good about Harriet and keep my fingers crossed but I would hate for her to do it, if it caused her ANY grief.    It depends on her.   If it is something she can do and it helps her then I say great!     For some people it might help in the healing process, but I don't know if she is one of those people.    I just hate the idea that it might make things worse for her.     Regardless, I think that it will be a while before she can even think of either farming it out or doing it herself.

I suppose if he wanted to emulate RJ's style, he is probably capable of coming close, but it would depend on a conscious decision to do so, not on a natural similarity.

zshadez

I'm confused by your statement.    Are you saying that you can't read this, just don't know how or chose not to?

And if you read the rest of my post - I think that I elaborated enough to make it clear that while I personally think that GrrM could adjust his style, I do not think that he would be good because of having an already overloaded schedule.

It's sad that so many people who can read... can't read.

LOL!! it is equally sad to see that you cannot read or understand that these various other authorship choices are being discussed only in view of a possibility that Harriet and the family decides that they cannot finish MoL, but instead they decide to hire another author to complete the book.

If they don't finish it, no one should. Some of the author ideas given were horrible, but none would be right. If those who worked closest with Jordan can't/won't do it then no one should.

Well, since RJ clearly expressed a desire for it to be completed, and made plans to that end, then I think it should be.  The primary plan is for Harriet+ to do it but I am significantly concerned that it might not be good for her to do such a thing.   

When my dad died I enjoyed finishing up several projects that he had started but never finished.  But I know several people who lost loved ones over the last few years and for some, everytime they run into things that remind them of the lost loved one it is like opening the wound all over again.  For one person, it has been five years and they still break down just seeing an old picture or letter.  I would rather Harriet farm it out than go through that.

There's no doubt in my mind that they'll finish it, and the name on the cover will be Robert Jordan.

To tell you the truth - I AGREE!!    I may be wrong but I would think that in one form or another it is probably over 75% done.  If not significantly more.

Of course this is my wild unfounded guess, so don't try taking it to the bank.

I can't say I think it's that far towards completion. I think it will be quite a while before the book is done. But with as dedicated as his family has been through this series I can't see them not being the ones to finish it. With all I've read about or from Harriet and Wilson I have no doubt that they'll finish his last work in his name/pseudonym. It's a sort of tribute that feels almost compulsary, carrying on and finishing for him, reaching the end in his name. I'm sure they'll do it, and I'm sure the dedication will be words to make a stone weep.

from reading between the lines in the blogs i would say a good 25% of it is on paper/computer in rj's writing, 15% to 20% is in various notes and blurbs in no particular order, harriet and wislon KNOW the ending in detail (2 plus hours from rj's lips is i would think a good 3 final chapters or so) and the various audiotapes that are mentioned in the blog conatin 30 to 50% of the book. added togeather thats a full book, but!!!!!!

it has to be put togeather, it has to then be smoothed to fit properly, it has to make sense and ALOT of connective material has to be filled in

for example Mat going after Morraine, anyone want to bet this is down in a fairly vague outline or is much more complete?

What about Lan's drive into the blight? i'd bet this is just outline with limited detail (though it is clearly forshadowed that the 7 towers come back and his nation is born again)

what about the Fate of the Aiel?

RJ said he planned a book 10 years after the end showing Mat and Tuon so they survive we know.

Does Rand survive? (there are very clear Arthurian refences, and "his blood on the rock of" etc well its clearly the double wound on his side, does LT get fully seperated leaving just rand to have his 3 wives)

Perrin and the mountain home, is it reborn with Perrin as king, does he rule soldaia?

just think of everything that has to happen in this last book.

Rand has to meet Tuon, Tuon has to give her army over to Rand, the Ogre march to war, etc etc etc

all the plots of the various forsaken

There is a whole lot of ground to cover, we all know this. With the size of the last few books and the time between them, I think that knowing how much larger this book is expected to be and with Jim likely unable to work as rapidly a good amount of the time I really think it will be quite a while before it's done. I doubt anyone could work as fast on his series as he could himself at full health. With the sheer volume of notes and tapes and dictations to go through, and knowing they'll want to get it as close to the way he'd have written it as they can.... and that very likely nothing will be started for a while yet... could be a wait.

Actually, I think anyone who complains about MoL not being released before 2015 should be beaten with the nine rods of dominion.

I'm rather ashamed to say that as the initial shock passes, as much as it can, I've been beginning to view RJ's death from a slightly more selfish point of view. I've been thinking a lot about AMOL and it got me wondering about how detailed RJ's notes are. I mean he's written the first 25% or so people are saying. Then there are his notes and recordings, lest we forget. So I imagine the first quarter of the book will be written in a style all too familiar to us all. As for the rest are the notes so detailed that it will be as if he completed t in his own hand, which he did in a way, or will it get to a point where suddenly, as if crossing an invisible border, the writing style undergoes a sudden and dramatic change? The plot remains but, to use a rather poor analogy, it's like when a talented artist in their own right tries to copy a Rembrandt or Michelangelo. Superficially it's a fair enough copy , everything's where it's supposed to be but there's that unidentifiable something that's just not there.     

I recall reading somewhere that Jordan had said that if he didn't finish the book nobody would. All due respect to his memory but that was a selfish attitude. Did he change his mind about this before passing away?

I just want to know what happens in the end, even if written in another style but true to the author's intentions. Book 11 left a lot of lines hanging (what happens to Mat and Tuon, to the Seanchan, to Lan, to Perrin and Faile, to Elayne's children, to Moiraine, to Logain, to Egwene in the Tower, do they purge the Black Ajah, does Rand survive Tarmon Gaidon, and so on and so on).

ok i don't want to be insensitive here. and i'm not saying that RJs loss is not a tragedy. but...

Who should finish the series?

Harriet - Wife, editor

Wilson - Brother/Cousin

another writer? off the top of my head Elizabeth Moon, Terry Goodkind, Susan Cooper are all writers who with Harriet's help and RJ's notes could do the job.

now i know that the majority of us would jump on Harriet as the obvious choice(and i agree from the fanboy perspective) but...(my there is always a but isn't there)...but...what kind of writer is she? alot of Editors are just not able to wirte good stories, they are great at what they do and are very needed, but alot just can't write worth a bloody copper.

(ok please avoid flaming, i'm serious here)

Harriet and Wilson will finish it. If I remember correctly Wilson posted a few weeks before his passing that RJ, sat down with them and told everything that was not finished. Made him sound like a gleeman while doing it as well.

With that information and his dictated notes, they are the best ones since only those two real know what HE intended. Anyone else will add there own flavor.

ok i don't want to be insensitive here. and i'm not saying that RJs loss is not a tragedy. but...

Who should finish the series?

Harriet - Wife, editor

Wilson - Brother/Cousin

another writer? off the top of my head Elizabeth Moon, Terry Goodkind, Susan Cooper are all writers who with Harriet's help and RJ's notes could do the job.

now i know that the majority of us would jump on Harriet as the obvious choice(and i agree from the fanboy perspective) but...(my there is always a but isn't there)...but...what kind of writer is she? alot of Editors are just not able to wirte good stories, they are great at what they do and are very needed, but alot just can't write worth a bloody copper.

(ok please avoid flaming, i'm serious here)

Harriet and Wilson will finish it. If I remember correctly Wilson posted a few weeks before his passing that RJ, sat down with them and told everything that was not finished. Made him sound like a gleeman while doing it as well.

With that information and his dictated notes, they are the best ones since only those two real know what HE intended. Anyone else will add there own flavor.

what he said was that he told then the end of the story for 2 1/2 hours. now that could have been a broad outline of everything, but it sounded like(to me) a telling of the end, of the final battle and a bit of what happens right before and what happened after. maybe i read it wrong but thats how it sounded to me

Stylistically, i have never encountered a better writer of endings than Tad Williams.  Memory, Sorrow and Thorn was a magnificent trilogy.  GRRM is perhaps the current fantasy master of dramatic builds and well-paced dialogue.  However great i think these two and many others are at their craft, I do not think they should write a single word of AMoL.  The most I would say they could rightly attribute is dramatic or technical advice.  I think no one is better suited to finish, or closer to, the Wheel of Time than  Mr. Rigney's closest companions. They know his voice, his tone.  They know what his dearest intentions were, what he truly meant the final book to be.  Whatever happens with AMoL, I know that when it's finished a long chapter of my life will end--if not EXACTLY as RJ would have completed it, then a damn good approximation of.  That will be neat, however I receive the final book.

Archived