DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who should finish MOTL?

Lunan

I think that Goodkind should never come within spitting distance of the manuscript.  I've read his Sword of Truth series up to Pilars of Creation and to be blunt i found his series to be kind of abrupt in it's flow, and it changes too rapidly for my taste.  Also he doesn't have the flair for detail as RJ had, I found myself struggling trying to imagine what his world must be like, and by POC I just left it alone and havn't been reading it ever since.  I beleive Harriet would be the best bet at keeping the spirit of WOT constant int he last book.  Kinda like the battle at Manaterin(sp?) where husbands and wives marched into battle and when the men fell teh women picked up thier swords and continued on.  Plus she's edited his books.  Note the word edited which means she's the one that said "Look I'm not getting this part here, why not so and so do this instead" it's like being filtered throuhg a Britta water filter, even though the water may be clean at first it gets even purer afterwards.  Now I'm not saying that RJ's talent for writing was flawed but Harriet is the one that made it even better, put the polish and buff on it so that it gleams like Whitebridge.  Now if one of the mentioned authors besdies Goodkind did the editing on that one i think it would be as close as it can get, perhaps even just as good as if RJ were the one writing it.  Unless one of you suddenly finds themselves channeling RJ's spirit into your notebook and you find a 4 Gig AMOL in your documents well woohoo but in reality Harreit would do an excellent job at writing just as good as RJ has.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Harriet should be the one to write aMoL. Maybe having some input from other authors that RJ respected.

I agree with a lot of people that Harriet would likely be the best choice--being, not only his wife, but possibly highest influence. The books seem intensely pro-female.

BUT, if I had to pick another author to write it, I would choose the vaguely known, sci-fi author Kathy Tyers or Karen Hancock. Both have created intriguing worlds of their own, and Tyers has done much work with fan fiction too.

Otherwise, on another note, would it not be interesting if they [the greater beings] chose some fans [maybe from a site like this] to co-author and finish it off?

[

Otherwise, on another note, would it not be interesting if they [the greater beings] chose some fans [maybe from a site like this] to co-author and finish it off?

I think that this wouldbe a bad Idea. We are much to et in our ways and our theories to write a personally Unbiased story line. ;D

Ha anyone thought (or more voiced the thought) that if RJ was making plans in case he died, he would have already chosen someone to finish it, known only to himself, Hariet, the "other", and possibly Tom? I read the artical that said that Hariet and Tom were the most likely candidated, but that was several months ago. Not only could much have changed, but we also know from experiance that Rj, and those close to him are (and, sadly, were) very good at keeping secrets (Asmodean). Plus, RJ was a very inteligent man. He would have had the forsight to take such a cumbersome burden off of Hariets shoulders.

Ha anyone thought (or more voiced the thought) that if RJ was making plans in case he died, he would have already chosen someone to finish it, known only to himself, Hariet, the "other", and possibly Tom?

That is entirely possible ... but of course, if so, we don't know who, so we're right back to speculation ...  ;D

Harriet, Wilson, and Will.  They are the only people that I see finishing the series.  I love GRRM, but his style is too different.  Plus, like others have said, he has enough work to be getting on with.  :)  I'm not too fussed about it though.  The book will be finished.  If we have to wait a bit longer for it, well, thats fine.  We were already waiting.  So it will be done when it's done.

It just has to be someone VERY close to RJ

Since WoT is so character intensive, being told entirely from characters mindset, it would be incredibly easy to butcher. Another author might well pick up on character traits, and get the general personalities of our characters right but if everything isn't perfect and spot on in the way characters talk act etc etc 

the whole book could end up feeling WRONG.

Telling the story isn't good enough whoever writes it needs to be able really drop into the character roles. It'll be almost acting since they have to become characters for their chapters. Only someone close to RJ is going to know ho he envisioned these characters, is going to know how they should act.

Alas I remeber thinking Brian Herbert would be the best person to carry on Dune, alas 8 dune books later and fans are still crying themselves to sleep at night, moreso since he and the oh so wonderful kevin anderson butchered the end. No matter who picks this up, it wont be RJ it's NEVER going to be what it would have been. So much of what a book is remains in the authors head, knowing their intent just isn't always enough.

With that in mind I just dont know if i can trust harriet and co, while I think they're the best choices

based on previous experiences im far from convinced even they can pull it off. Heck in a lot of ways i'd like to see it given to someone like steven erikson, at least the final battles would go off with one hell of a bang.

Personally im praying that the majority of the book is already written and just needs finishing touches inserted in places. If this gets rewrote using his notes then I'd rather have a completely differen't unrelated author just write a damn good book in a completely different style that finishes the ending off nicely then have someones piss poor attempt at mimicing RJ.

Obviously, VampireGoat's opinions are in the minority about how well "Harriet and co." are able to complete MoL. Don't forget that Harriet was Tor's editor for RJ WOT series, therefore, because of that fact and hundreds of pages for MoL already written, hours upon hours upon hours on tape by RJ talking about MoL's characters and plotlines, its clear that Harriet will be the best choice.

:)

Editing and writing - especially a big novel - involve two very different sets of skills, rarely does one person possess both. Unless there is a draft that's close to being completed, it would, in my opinion, be too great a burden for RJ's family and his assistants to actually write a major portion of the novel. Of course, they should be involved as closely as needed, but a good professional, able to take on, so to speak, someone else's persona, is what would work best.

And that does not mean GRRM!  ::)He has trouble enough finishing Dance with Dragons, what with his many other projects...

An alternative in this new Age could be something completely different.  AMoL has so many dedicated fans it could become a perfect wiki project.  Harriet et al could release all of the raw material, audio, and written notes on a website.  If RJ had outlines written for every chapter, then structure is already provided.  Each chapter is (almost) always neatly divided into its perspectives, which makes it easy to break it up even further.  There could be many versions for each published it back to site, where they are critiqued, voted on, then modified to exhaustion.  Final editing and revision done by Harriet, of course!  The goal would always be a work produced in our hearts exactly as he would have produced.  In the end TOR can publish the final product with its new binding process.  The way the technology and the internet have been heading, other books might one day be created like this.  Why not AMoL be the first, and greatest?  That's what I'd try to do, anyway.  Just an idea.

In any case, I certainly don't like the thought of another established writer finishing the series.  Like everyone here, I've read the Wheel of Time books repeatedly and I know I want RJ's style to the very last.  Also, I simply can't stand the thought of this important work coming under the shadow of another big name.  I believe that Harriet on her own would do it far more justice and give it the right feel.

Wayhey... I don't mean to be offensive... but that's honestly the worst idea I've ever heard of. A lot of us have been following this series since we were children, and many more of us since the initial release of EotW. If your idea was taken I think there'd be a huge rise in the suicide reports on the news. :p

I also disagree with that. Just becasue you are familimar with The books and RJ's writing sytle does not mean that in any shape or form could you mimic it. There is a huge difference in reading and [glow=red,2,300]writing[/glow] a book. I couldn't do it. I doubt that there are very many Fans that accually have prfessional writing expirance. But at the Same time I can see the merits of an attempt to do a book like that but in the end Isn't that how the bible was written and look at all of the problems that have come from that.

Wayhey... I don't mean to be offensive... but that's honestly the worst idea I've ever heard of. A lot of us have been following this series since we were children, and many more of us since the initial release of EotW. If your idea was taken I think there'd be a huge rise in the suicide reports on the news. :p

I doubt it was the worst idea you've ever heard.  People write fan fiction already, so it really wasn't that big of a stretch.  I also have faith in the abilities of people, working collectively toward a goal they share great passion for.  The internet actually makes it possible to do what I suggested--but again, it was just an idea.

I've been reading these books for as long as they've been out as well and I am very attached to them.  Of course, I really do wish that RJ could have finished the series, and then written 2 more after.  Right now, my biggest hope is that Harriet will finish it and put her own name on it as well.  Failing that, I wouldn't want to see some other series writer's name on the cover.  It truly means so much to so many.

I also disagree with that. Just becasue you are familimar with The books and RJ's writing sytle does not mean that in any shape or form could you mimic it. There is a huge difference in reading and [glow=red,2,300]writing[/glow] a book. I couldn't do it. I doubt that there are very many Fans that accually have prfessional writing expirance. But at the Same time I can see the merits of an attempt to do a book like that but in the end Isn't that how the bible was written and look at all of the problems that have come from that.

I agree that to do such a thing is beyond most people under normal circumstances.  Yet if lots of people are working on something they truly have a passion for, together they can also produce something genius.  Are 50 amateurs focussed together better or worse than one professional?  Nobody knows.  People learn by doing, as well, and I would expect for a project like this there would be dozens of versions for each small section, the best of which are rewriten together and edited for flow.  Think of it as a huge linked circle with Harriet weaving the flows.  :)

The Bible was written collectively, true, but not at all in the same manner.  It was far more top-down -- back then a very select few people were literate, after all, and who could instantly mass produce a work in 500AD?.  It was also a broad collection of stories rather than a structured novel, there were generations in between revisions, etc.

I'm not really going to bat for this, I just thought of the idea and decided to throw it out there for consideration.  All that I really want to see is the book done, preferably without the interference of some other writer's fame.

I agree that to do such a thing is beyond most people under normal circumstances.  Yet if lots of people are working on something they truly have a passion for, together they can also produce something genius.  Are 50 amateurs focussed together better or worse than one professional?  Nobody knows.  People learn by doing, as well, and I would expect for a project like this there would be dozens of versions for each small section, the best of which are rewriten together and edited for flow.  Think of it as a huge linked circle with Harriet weaving the flows.  :)

The Bible was written collectively, true, but not at all in the same manner.  It was far more top-down -- back then a very select few people were literate, after all, and who could instantly mass produce a work in 500AD?.  It was also a broad collection of stories rather than a structured novel, there were generations in between revisions, etc.

I'm not really going to bat for this, I just thought of the idea and decided to throw it out there for consideration.  All that I really want to see is the book done, preferably without the interference of some other writer's fame.

This, I think, would still possibly be an idea. Because there may be a lot of people who would submit, but the more to choose from the closer people are going to get to a good writer [unpublished or previously] and RJ's style....interesting concept.

As we move from discussing the idea to personal attacks ... -sigh-

Hey, rude is rude, and there is no rule that says that I have to let it go unnoticed, regardless of who posts it.  Calling someone's idea, the "worst they've ever heard" is rude, there is no need for us to ridicule one another, or belittle their ideas, I would have said the same thing if had been you or Luckers, "Kings of the Forums," or not. 

Hey, rude is rude, and there is no rule that says that I have to let it go unnoticed, regardless of who posts it.

I didn't say you couldn't.  I just pointed it out.

I would have said the same thing if had been you or Luckers, "Kings of the Forums," or not. 

Believe me, I know.  And, for the record, I never said I was "King of the Forums" ...

i will always point out rudeness as well. sometimes people need a check on thier manners.

i hope , personally, that aMoL doesnt need much more than editing and such and the core of the work is RJ's. ghost writers never capture the essense of another authors work, or very rarely.

Archived