DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lets talk about The Consolidation =)

JenniferL

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, for those that have said the Staff was not consulted...  I don't know what was said or presented, but for as long as I've been around DM (about 7+ years on and off) THIS CONSOLODATION WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.  It was never a vote... it was going to happen eventually.  They just never had the space or means to do it and now they do.  If me, a non Staff member has known this for all these years, I can't believe that Staff members are acting like they had no clue this would happen.

It's lucky you've been a member for 7 and a half years and knew about that. I've been a member for 3, and on staff for about 2. And during that time, nowhere can I recall this "consolidation" being mentioned anywhere. Not one little bit of information. Then it comes out of the blue. Therefore, of course I am going to be upset and annoyed at a decision I, and probably countless others, didn't have the slightest inclination about.

It's all down to communication. The fact we (well, definitely me) have had nothing about this "consolidation" until now, it irks and rankles a hell of a lot. Also, because we have to comply without being asked for views etc, this mess has arisen.

Corki, I've been a member for as long as you and a staff member for less than you.  I can say that Mother has been pretty open with the Ajah heads about how she feels in regards to the off site boards.  We've discussed and debated it quite a bit.  So in light of that, the consolidation announcement was not a surprise for me at all.  Now, I'm not privy to the staff boards you belong to, but I'd say that the Ajah Head staff has had decent communication on the matter.

And how many Greens are in the Band? How many other Ajah members are in the Band? The answer is; Several. Does the opinion of the Leader carry over into the Members? Or is it that they might be caught up into a mass riot situation? I just want to know what to expect from the WT members.

I wasn't very clear. If you don't want to come over, don't. but if you are doing it just for your leader... that's not a good idea either. You would only lose the members that won't come here. THere will still be a band, just not under Corki if he chooses to stick to his guns. The members won't be punished for it.

I know some band members have talked of leaving DM if demands aren't met, but not over the move, but rather how the move was handled. Me personally... if the Band were to leave DM, I'd just be in two WOT sites. It wouldn't affect my being at DM. If Corki left, and the Band were still here without Corki, same thing- I'd still be here either way.

And Mendorah, Corki is more upset about how the org leaders weren't involved. They knew it was coming, just it was a total shock when it suddenly happened.

Also part of why so many are upset... you give a child a lollipop, then take it away, things won't be pretty.

Say DM does go down. Would we be allowed to reopen our offsites boards as a temporary hang out?

No. If DM goes down, we need everyone to stay concentrated in one place to pass along information. Part of the reason why we lose members when DM is down for an extended period is that no one knows when the site comes back up. We all need to be on the same emergency back up system.

I think this goes back to the general suprise when we transfered boards. In that EVERYONE was taken by suprise. All of sudden we now have this ability to host more than we could, we have a different colour scheme, we've lost posts. And before we have time to settle in to these new boards that keep changing around us, we're being faced with the loss of our one constant that very rarely changes, in our offsite boards. It doesn't affect me as much- The Blues have six offsite boards. But people have been taken out of their comfort zone one already and now they're being taken out again with little warning, even if we were aware that change would eventually take place. I think that's one of the reasons for resentment.

And that's okay Kath. I just wondered.  :)

this is a concern of mine as well cleo.   Many of us are members of more than one Org, some that are working with the consolidation, and some that are fighting it.  Some folks are going to go with the Org, regardless of personal feelings because of loyalty or whatever allegiences they have amd alot of animosity is being generated by some leaders, so that the org members are agitated.  and like Horn, i have heard people say they are leaving if demands arn't met.  and some that say they will go with what ever the Org decides period.

So what happens then?  If an Org leader leaves and takes the Org with them....will that Org still be here at DM?  Will the threads and boards stay?  A new Org leader appointed?  Does the Org basically start over?  I really hope that this doesn't happen, but better to know....

I think this goes back to the general suprise when we transfered boards. In that EVERYONE was taken by suprise. All of sudden we now have this ability to host more than we could, we have a different colour scheme, we've lost posts. And before we have time to settle in to these new boards that keep changing around us, we're being faced with the loss of our one constant that very rarely changes, in our offsite boards. It doesn't affect me as much- The Blues have six offsite boards. But people have been taken out of their comfort zone one already and now they're being taken out again with little warning, even if we were aware that change would eventually take place. I think that's one of the reasons for resentment.

And that's okay Kath. I just wondered.  :)

I agree, this is alot of change to swallow at once. I would have preferred to let everyone know after we had settled in a bit more. But Jason made the announcement on the old General board when these boards were opened and there didn't seem any sense in trying to hide it.

Also, for those that have said the Staff was not consulted...  I don't know what was said or presented, but for as long as I've been around DM (about 7+ years on and off) THIS CONSOLODATION WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.  It was never a vote... it was going to happen eventually.  They just never had the space or means to do it and now they do.  If me, a non Staff member has known this for all these years, I can't believe that Staff members are acting like they had no clue this would happen.

It's lucky you've been a member for 7 and a half years and knew about that. I've been a member for 3, and on staff for about 2. And during that time, nowhere can I recall this "consolidation" being mentioned anywhere. Not one little bit of information. Then it comes out of the blue. Therefore, of course I am going to be upset and annoyed at a decision I, and probably countless others, didn't have the slightest inclination about.

It's all down to communication. The fact we (well, definitely me) have had nothing about this "consolidation" until now, it irks and rankles a hell of a lot. Also, because we have to comply without being asked for views etc, this mess has arisen.

Corki, I've been a member for as long as you and a staff member for less than you.  I can say that Mother has been pretty open with the Ajah heads about how she feels in regards to the off site boards.  We've discussed and debated it quite a bit.  So in light of that, the consolidation announcement was not a surprise for me at all.  Now, I'm not privy to the staff boards you belong to, but I'd say that the Ajah Head staff has had decent communication on the matter.

I've known that Kath doesn't like off board sites. But nowhere in the DM Staff Board have I seen (unless I have misunderstood it) that offboard sites were to be binned and everything moved to DM to complte the consolidation until now. It never happened while I was in the Staff Board on DM6. And I don't recall it now.

And in answer to Cleo, if people still want to be members of DM if the Band doesn't want to be part of it, then I am not going to stop them in the slightest. I can't. So that shouldn't be part of the debate. It's down to the people themselves, not me.

And in answer to Nia, that is extremely correct. That is how I feel. That is the fundamental reason for my resentment. We've had one change that didn't go well at all, and then we have this edict that tells us to remove the one thing we know has worked well in the past - offboard sites. It's going to put a lot of people's backs up.

Also, it's all well and good the ORG side discussing this, but how does the RP side feel? We need to get everyone involved in this.

this is a concern of mine as well cleo.  Many of us are members of more than one Org, some that are working with the consolidation, and some that are fighting it.  Some folks are going to go with the Org, regardless of personal feelings because of loyalty or whatever allegiences they have amd alot of animosity is being generated by some leaders, so that the org members are agitated.  and like Horn, i have heard people say they are leaving if demands arn't met.  and some that say they will go with what ever the Org decides period.

So what happens then?  If an Org leader leaves and takes the Org with them....will that Org still be here at DM?  Will the threads and boards stay?  A new Org leader appointed?  Does the Org basically start over?  I really hope that this doesn't happen, but better to know....

If an Org absolutely refuses to move, that's fine. They will be asked to take our name off their site and stop claiming affiliation with us. We may decide to restart that Org with a new Org Leader or we may decide to let it rest for awhile. The Org Leader will lose his or her staff privileges on DM, of course.

That's a worst case scenario though. I do think people will quit the site. Some people just don't deal with change very well. But I sincerely doubt that we'll lose entire Orgs over this. Maybe some won't be as large as they used to be, but that's it.

And in answer to Nia, that is extremely correct. That is how I feel. That is the fundamental reason for my resentment. We've had one change that didn't go well at all, and then we have this edict that tells us to remove the one thing we know has worked well in the past - offboard sites. It's going to put a lot of people's backs up.

Also, it's all well and good the ORG side discussing this, but how does the RP side feel? We need to get everyone involved in this.

Actually, the move went pretty well, except for the error that made the old boards inaccessible for a week. Not all of the posts transfered, but they are still archived on the old boards. We're having some issues installing the mods we need, but that's not the actual boards.  Everything is ticking along just fine.

You'd be surprised Kath.. I would not be surprised at all if 2-4 orgs put leaving to a vote.

I went through the mass panic of splitting the RP from the Orgs. It's not nearly as bad as it was then.

But if people choose not to be members of DM anymore, that's their business. We're not holding anyone hostage.

Actually, the move went pretty well, except for the error that made the old boards inaccessible for a week. Not all of the posts transfered, but they are still archived on the old boards. We're having some issues installing the mods we need, but that's not the actual boards.  Everything is ticking along just fine.

That's just about the funniest thing I've read in some time.

Have you guys seriously had trouble with admins interfering with your boards here? I know we never have...

except for being relegated to a child board, our post count turned off, and being told that were a useless waste of space, that basically and quite litterally doesnt count and threatened with the whole board being deleted - just because we were airing our views ..if thats what you call none interference yeah

I think Admin should have focused on fixing THIS site before saying they want all orgs to pull in here and dump offsite boards.  You have a few upset members that can't participate anywhere but general boards because no Org leaders can allow anyone to join.

I think Admin should have focused on fixing THIS site before saying they want all orgs to pull in here and dump offsite boards.  You have a few upset members that can't participate anywhere but general boards because no Org leaders can allow anyone to join.

We're not asking anyone to move until we have that fixed. We're just giving you a warning that it's going to happen.

Archived