DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A thread about Plot Holes and Inconsistencies...

Spiritweaver1

17 minutes ago, grayavatar said:

If they followed the books they could have used the books like a rail track, deviating occasionally and then getting back on track.

How many episodes and seasons would that require? Budget? Would the show be interesting for the large non-book audience? I don't think it's possible for now unless it was animated

I do not think animated would do the story justice.

If you think the t.v show is having trouble with the plots and characters now, which I do not believe, then animators will have an even worse time from the get go. 

I have always felt that a video game series of the story would do well, even possibly outdo the books, because of the gaming experience being different from the reading one.

Even the prologue would be amazing in a video game, and the nightmare dreams would probably be a huge hit.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:43 PM, SinisterDeath said:

Lore wise, People are not outside the Pattern, but they are part of the threads that shape the Pattern. Onward, Balefire can destroy anything, but the only time it affects time is when you use it on people.

I think it is clear from a certain scene in Shadar Logoth that balefire erasing solid objects also erases them backwards in time (a wall is Balefired and suddenly the Masadar that was behind the wall occupies the whole square the character is observing).

On 12/6/2021 at 11:04 PM, Agitel said:

I'll just reiterate again, the people of the WOT world make their strongest oaths on their hopes of rebirth. In addition to the Jordan quotes provided, I think this establishes in-world belief that the people of this fictional world have of reincarnation for all.

Explicitly "the hope of salvation and rebirth" - not the certainty, so the people appear to believe (not necessarily accurately) that it is possible to do something (such as breaking such an oath?) that will mean you are not worthy of "salvation and rebirth" and drop off the wheel.

On the other hand Elan Morin's philosophy (as mentioned by DF Dana in E3) appears to lead him to conclude that everyone is doomed to be reborn no matter what until the DO is allowed to break the wheel entirely.

On 12/7/2021 at 3:27 PM, wotfan4472 said:

I do not think animated would do the story justice.

If you think the t.v show is having trouble with the plots and characters now, which I do not believe, then animators will have an even worse time from the get go. 

Why do you think so? 

22 hours ago, TheSmurf said:

Why do you think so? 

Every thing the story, the world, and characters did in the books can be done in a video game. The Warder colour shifting cloak and Aes Sedai agelessness would be really cool in a video game.

Not anywhere else in any medium.

Animation has a limit in what can be shown during a certain time.

The One Power would be hard to do in animation during a pitched battle with vast armies of humans and Shadowspawn.

Especially in the Last Battle, where there are vast amounts of One Power being used in various ways, from Demandred's Circle of 72, at maximum, to the individual fights going on at the same moment the Circle of 72 is channeling, and that is just at Merrilor. The battle at Shayol Ghul is on an even vaster scale with channeling. The animated show would forget that battle all together, or not mention the fight between the Dragon and the Dark One going on as well if they even showed it.

An animated show would get confused as which channeling went where. They would have to turn it into a multiple episode or even season event.

A video game, by comparison, would handle that complexity really well, with the right team doing the work.

In short, the Last Battle could take place in one video game title release, from beginning, to end, because the previous video game titles would have established the world and how all those elements fit together better. 

With each release, the animated show would struggle the more seasons were done. I have seen more anime that have totally thrown out their world building and characters at the main fight, than maintained them.

Edited by wotfan4472

It depends on how much the video game developers like the books, since there are many video game developers that are book fans, and how skilled at their careers they are.

That is just from my time on these boards over the years, because I am sure I caught a few big name developers show up on here a few times.

Edited by wotfan4472

On 12/6/2021 at 5:10 PM, SinisterDeath said:

The DO has the power to intercept souls and forcibly put them into new bodies/stasis, etc.

I've never read anything in the book that suspects they have a "greek style afterlife" presided over by Hades, with the select few going to the Elysian Fields...

Which is also reincarnation... because not every soul reincarnated is going to have the same personality, destiny, etc.

I didn't say heroes were Ta'Varen. Ta'Varen are bound to the wheel. The Heroes are bound to the Horn. 

From the cursory WoT wiki & Interview database searches I made before before my previous postI wasn't able to find anything that concretely said which way it worked (hence the "generally accepted by fans" that it works this way).

believe from my crappy memory that we have characters in the books that state all souls are reborn, not just important souls.
The Interview database hasn't enlightened anything... Apparently no one bothered to ask RJ if every souls is spun out by the Wheel, not just heroes and specific souls like LTT.

But generally speaking, with systems where rebirth is true, it's universal. The only thing that isn't universal is when a specific soul is reborn with the same purpose/destiny. 

I love this discussion ! It's cerebral and a great back and forth. All those that argue and demean rather than discuss in a positive way should look to this thread and act accordingly.  

• Community Administrator
6 hours ago, Agitel said:

I really can't see keeping the book story in video game form. It'd be a much looser adaptation than even the show.

6 hours ago, wotfan4472 said:

It depends on how much the video game developers like the books, since there are many video game developers that are book fans, and how skilled at their careers they are.

That is just from my time on these boards over the years, because I am sure I caught a few big name developers show up on here a few times.

Honestly, if they did a video game they have 3 options.
1) Shadow of War / Vermintide style game, where you play certain characters with specific missions that appear in the show/movie, but it's definitely not a linear game like "The Witcher 3".

2) Witcher 3/Skyrim/Conan Exiles/Fallout 76/New World open world style game, where you play in the world post breaking, or during the 4th age.

3) Sim City/City Skylines/Tropico/Civilization/Age of Empires style game, set in the post breaking/4th age setting.