DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

2 minutes ago, Nik said:

I think it's valid to dislike the show! No piece of media can please everyone and I can definitely see why some people didn't like it. I have criticisms too, and there are absolutely things I wish they'd done differently. But I still enjoyed it a lot. And saying it was objectively bad or that it "failed" seems dishonest when it was objectively an incredibly successful show which even book fans (not all, but definitely many) enjoyed.

Just wondering if he made you feel different about anything. He did me. I also didn’t agree with all he said. 

2 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Just wondering if he made you feel different about anything. He did me. I also didn’t agree with all he said. 

It mostly wasn't anything I hadn't heard before, and to be honest I didn't listen to all of it. I skimmed ahead to get the gist and moved on. I'm not really interested in being talked into feeling bad about something I already enjoyed. But I'm glad the video resonated with other people (and lots of them by the looks of those numbers)!

13 hours ago, Nik said:

I think it's valid to dislike the show! No piece of media can please everyone and I can definitely see why some people didn't like it. I have criticisms too, and there are absolutely things I wish they'd done differently. But I still enjoyed it a lot. And saying it was objectively bad or that it "failed" seems dishonest when it was objectively an incredibly successful show which even book fans (not all, but definitely many) enjoyed.

well said... just because it reviews bad or certain parts of the show arent the best doesn't mean we can't enjoy the show or that it can't improve for season 2.  

On 5/15/2022 at 3:16 PM, DojoToad said:

Speaking in general, the only review that got me to change my mind on stuff was the one by brandon sanderson, and that's because he gives some really deep reasons for why the show was made in a certain way. It also got my brother to partially change his mind.

But as far as writing a schating review, well, you can write one for every single piece of media. There are schating reviews utterly demolishing the wheel of time - the books, i mean. And same for game of thrones. and there are parodies of the lord of the rings, poking fun at it.

The thing is, if you watch with a critical enough eye, you can find reasons to dislike ANYTHING. I mean, take for example a beautiful girl; it doesn't matter how beautiful she is, if you want to find some flaw in her, you will.

So as a rule of thumb I'm not interested in negative reviews telling me to dislike something. If I listened to those, I would dislike everything. If nothing else, I prefer to read positive reviews, and if they don't make a strong enough case, if they don't convince me, then I am not interested. It's sort of a "damned by faint praise" scenario; "damned by unconvincing praise", more appropriately.

for example, there was a review for a videogame sequel saying "it changed completely the gameplay, evening the difference between noobs and veterans". As I really liked the gameplay of the previous installments, that praising review was most informative on why I should dislike the game. I still bought it because I was invested in the story; big mistake, I stopped playing immediately and just went reading how it ended on wikipedia.

I only read negative reviews when I already have a negative opinion of something, for the lulz. But then, I look for mockery, not honest negative reviews

I generally start with the 1 and 5 star reviews - but look at them very cautiously.  A lot of one-stars can just be sour grapes for whatever reason, but there may be nuggets of truth.  A lot of five-stars can be unicorn farts, but may also have valid points.  I try and see if it should be maybe a 3-star that they just got carried away with in one direction or the other.

I guess this just happens when you get old - I'm reviewing reviews...

When it comes down to it who cares what others like/dislike - it only matters what I like.  I don't need a review to affirm my opinion.

• Community Administrator
2 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

I generally start with the 1 and 5 star reviews - but look at them very cautiously.  A lot of one-stars can just be sour grapes for whatever reason, but there may be nuggets of truth.  A lot of five-stars can be unicorn farts, but may also have valid points.  I try and see if it should be maybe a 3-star that they just got carried away with in one direction or the other.

I do that for restaurants. 

For book to screen, I like reading reviews from people who have never read the books. Book fans can be overly critical over the dumbest things. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/amazons-most-viewed-series-behind-the-numbers-for-prime-video-originals-1235165556/amp/

WOT 2nd highest streaming minutes ever on Amazon after Reacher.

They are probably ramping season 3 behind the scenes and saving the announced shortly before season 2 launches.  

6 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/amazons-most-viewed-series-behind-the-numbers-for-prime-video-originals-1235165556/amp/

They are probably ramping season 3 behind the scenes and saving the announced shortly before season 2 launches.  

For prime video originals - context is important.

6 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

I am a little surprised The Boys, The Expanse, and Carnivale Row are lower.  But i have streamed entire season at least 12 times mostly on my commute.  I keep hoping it will finally click with me.  Sadly it just doesn't.  

7 minutes ago, Guire said:

I am a little surprised The Boys, The Expanse, and Carnivale Row are lower.  But i have streamed entire season at least 12 times mostly on my commute.  I keep hoping it will finally click with me.  Sadly it just doesn't.  

I can understand 2 times, but 12 is just masochism - if you don't like it.

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

I have a very long commute to one of my jobs. One of my jobs has lots of dead time where I can have something playing on my laptop but need to be immediately available to work.  So rewatching something i have seen before is perfect.  Watching or listening to new content when i am constantly interrupted sucks.  Im years past I frequently would have a WoT book with me and reread.  

5 hours ago, DojoToad said:

5 hours ago, Guire said:

the fact that WOT is higher than so many shows is amazing, especially the Boys.  Carnival row, I watched 2 episodes and can't motivate myself to watch the rest.  Is it worth it?  Expanse is good but not sure that is a huge audience show.  Also surprised that WoT is higher than the Jack Ryan show

3 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

the fact that WOT is higher than so many shows is amazing, especially the Boys.  Carnival row, I watched 2 episodes and can't motivate myself to watch the rest.  Is it worth it?  Expanse is good but not sure that is a huge audience show.  Also surprised that WoT is higher than the Jack Ryan show

Yup, I am rather sceptical especially given how few people I know actually are even aware of it and 4/5 of the ones that have shown interest in the show haven't actually watched it.

You would think such an amazingly popular show would have gotten more accolades than it has or even  just more nominations...Or even just gotten status/recognition in pop culture in some sort of parody form.