DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So... About Lan...

TheMountain
Message added by SinisterDeath,

Language people.

Putting *** after a letter is still using the word. Use the wonderful curses from the bloody novels.

This feels nitpicky as hell. I don't think the show is pressed for time in terms of showing warders as badasses. There will be warder fight scenes in every season, and Lan was already sufficiently badass in the very first episode. Tam was depicted as a clearly skilled swordsman but only barely held off a single trolloc with assistance. Lan was slicing through them like butter. The problem (to the extent there is a problem) is the other warders depicted in episode 4 were not nearly as good against Logain's dragonsworn, but I don't see how it is in any way necessary that they look badass in practice (channeling Allen Iverson here). This isn't Rocky IV.

18 hours ago, AdamA said:

This feels nitpicky as hell. I don't think the show is pressed for time in terms of showing warders as badasses. There will be warder fight scenes in every season, and Lan was already sufficiently badass in the very first episode. Tam was depicted as a clearly skilled swordsman but only barely held off a single trolloc with assistance. Lan was slicing through them like butter. The problem (to the extent there is a problem) is the other warders depicted in episode 4 were not nearly as good against Logain's dragonsworn, but I don't see how it is in any way necessary that they look badass in practice (channeling Allen Iverson here). This isn't Rocky IV.

The show is giving more time to Warders than Jordan did in the books up to this point.  If I had been told that was going in, I would have been even more excited than I was for the show.  But the execution just did not work for me.

Agree to disagree

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

The show is giving more time to Warders than Jordan did in the books up to this point.  If I had been told that was going in, I would have been even more excited than I was for the show.  But the execution just did not work for me.

Agree to disagree

Am I wrong to want an 80's style training montage for the warders complete with stirring music?

?

Rising up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive

dun dun dunt

4 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

Am I wrong to want an 80's style training montage for the warders complete with stirring music?

?

dun dun dunt

Absolutely!

14 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

?

dun dun dunt

It's the eye of the world, the thrill of saidin, rising up to the challenge of Forsakennnn

8 hours ago, notpropaganda73 said:

It's the eye of the world, the thrill of saidin, rising up to the challenge of Forsakennnn

What is that 'saidin' you mentioned? Did the show name it once ? I might have missed it. Might be a sort of rash or toenail fungus.

6 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

I'm thinking, "You're the best" by Joe Esposito from the first "Karate Kid" movie.

You're the best! (Gaidin) No other swordsman can beat you now! You're the best! (Gaidin) Just be careful of a man with quarterstaff!

Some very fast words but it sorta works.. maybe I should make a twitter account of this stuff

6 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Oh my.  The way the fight scenes have been for me - this is the perfect song!

With lyrics like this I can see it!

Fight ‘til the end
Cause your life will depend
On the strength that you have inside you

Fight ‘til you drop
Never stop
Can't give up
Til you reach the top (FIGHT!)
You're the best in town (FIGHT!)
Listen to that sound
A little bit of all you got
Can never bring you down

4 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

With lyrics like this I can see it!

Fight ‘til the end
Cause your life will depend
On the strength that you have inside you

Fight ‘til you drop
Never stop
Can't give up
Til you reach the top (FIGHT!)
You're the best in town (FIGHT!)
Listen to that sound
A little bit of all you got
Can never bring you down

I can hear the rattan clacking now - doubt they'd use actual bokken in the show.

16 hours ago, AdamA said:

The warder training montage is coming when we get Galad and Gawyn in the White Tower.

and then Mat appears with his ashandarei (too soon?) and makes them both look foolish. ? But I digress...

On 12/7/2021 at 12:24 PM, DojoToad said:

If they are going to take the time to show Warders practicing - make them look impressive.

Yeah, a bit more demonstration of forms and skillful editing could have upped the ante a bit...but a well-placed "sheepherder" comment would grease my bearings even more! 

29 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

I can hear the rattan clacking now - doubt they'd use actual bokken in the show.

Rattan can simulate weights fairly well and not injure the way a bokken would.  Also, they deliberately show them using something very similar to a shinai.

Bokken are for forms and certain types of training, Shinai or the like are what you give people learning.  It makes mistakes very painful but not doing lasting harm.  Heck, TGH shows that the WoT version of Shinai are even more friendly, the tips are unbound and loose so they can spread on a thrust.  Real shinai are nasty for thrusts because the design that lets them flex and give on a slash makes them rigid on the thrust.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple scenes from book 1 that would've helped showcase how awesome Lan is if they were included in the show:

Spoiler

1)  When the party encounters a fade and trollocs near Shadar Logoth, the party is almost wiped out when Lan beheads the fade, which kills all the trollocs because they are linked to the fade.  To that point, fades are terrifying but Lan takes one down saving the party.

2)  When Perrin and Egwene are captured by the Whitecloaks, Lan infiltrates the Whitecloak camp, knocking unconscious multiple Whitecloaks and then casually knocks out Byar who attacks him with Perrin's axe.  He then tells Perrin he doesn't kill unless he means to.

3) Lan training Rand in the sword and Perrin in the axe early on would've been a nice touch.

Also, I disagree with folks who see Lan as lacking character depth in book 1.  He is often a more subtle character, but there are many good Lan moments in book 1.

I've accepted that this is a different Lan. Of all the major characters introduced thus far, this one seems to diverge the most (in terms of personality) from the book version.

I'm a fan of Book Lan. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the wonderful acting of Daniel Henney. I'd be willing to guess that most non-book fans (the majority of viewers) have no major issues with the occasionally smiling, sensitive warrior from the WOT show. 

36 minutes ago, Chivalry said:

I've accepted that this is a different Lan. Of all the major characters introduced thus far, this one seems to diverge the most (in terms of personality) from the book version.

I'm a fan of Book Lan. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the wonderful acting of Daniel Henney. I'd be willing to guess that most non-book fans (the majority of viewers) have no major issues with the occasionally smiling, sensitive warrior from the WOT show. 

Yeah, and we probably should have expected it - the changes to Aragorn in LOTR highlighted he wouldn't be allowed to be a superhuman terminator, and the shift to Moiraine's POV, instead of a bunch of scared kids would enable his more human qualities and teasing sense of humor to shine through. 

And, as was noted by someone in the Episode 6 summary about the Sitters in the hall, Television doesn't really work well with subdued nuance, so everyone gets louder and more emotive. 

But I expect the consolation for all us Lan fans is that now having seen the Blood snow, I have absolute faith that final due at the end of episode 62 or 63 will be absolutely legendary.