DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So... About Lan...

TheMountain
Message added by SinisterDeath,

Language people.

Putting *** after a letter is still using the word. Use the wonderful curses from the bloody novels.

I'm having a hard time reconciling this moment with him being described as a stone... Thoughts?

I know Rafe said that he wants to better convey the bond... but... to me, to remain true to Lan's character... if Moraine is crying, Lan should be the one with a single tear rolling down his face, not the other way around.

Screenshot_20211028-131513_Reddit.jpg

Edited by TheMountain

Just now, DaddyFinn said:

That could be Agelmar's funeral if he dies. Baseless speculation ATM

That would make sense to me. It seems like a very formal scene, which suggests to me they're not immediately on the run anymore. A funeral, and Lan very upset. So that type of event would make sense. Or maybe just a whole lot of lost life, back in Fal Dara, after Tarwin's Gap.

• Community Administrator
Just now, king of nowhere said:

yes, but if they show one single scene where he really loses it for additional impact, it won't impact his character

I want to know what lead up to that moment.

65% chance, he stubbed his toe hard, or stepped on a lego...

I know it's out of character but I liked it. That was the scene that hit me the hardest in the trailer, emotionally.

It takes a lot to make me feel emotions when I consume media. I tend to be pretty detached, especially with visual media (a well written emotional sequence tends to work better for me). But stoic, hardened warrior Lan, crying out in pain? I got chills and nearly teared up.

I also agree with the ceremonial aspect of it because of the gesture they all seemed to be making, fist on heart. All in all, pretty cool and really intriguing. I'm into it.

15 minutes ago, Rose said:

I know it's out of character but I liked it. That was the scene that hit me the hardest in the trailer, emotionally.

It takes a lot to make me feel emotions when I consume media. I tend to be pretty detached, especially with visual media (a well written emotional sequence tends to work better for me). But stoic, hardened warrior Lan, crying out in pain? I got chills and nearly teared up.

I also agree with the ceremonial aspect of it because of the gesture they all seemed to be making, fist on heart. All in all, pretty cool and really intriguing. I'm into it.

If this is the one and only time we see Lan like this, and it's a time in the past, perhaps his New Spring days... I can get behind it.

Oh I forgot that it also comes sequentially right after the shot of Valda burning a (presumed) Aes Sedai at the stake, which to me was more viscerally horrifying than all the trollocs and fades put together. So I was coming off of a "wtf NO" and straight into Lan crying out in rage and pain and... Yeah. Perfect emotional cocktail.

This trailer made me FEEL things and I'm not sure I'm ready to face the actual show now lol

Edited by Rose

I thought it was when Moiraine bonded Lan.

The Aes Sedai can feel the oaths on them - though they don't have Lan's reaction.  But what if the bond is more painful?  Moiraine is crying because she can feel Lan's pain - very visceral.  But probably even more connected to the fact that he just pledged his life to her - very emotional.

I want cookies if I'm right.

34 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

I thought it was when Moiraine bonded Lan.

The Aes Sedai can feel the oaths on them - though they don't have Lan's reaction.  But what if the bond is more painful?  Moiraine is crying because she can feel Lan's pain - very visceral.  But probably even more connected to the fact that he just pledged his life to her - very emotional.

I want cookies if I'm right.

It looked like a funeral to me, with everyone's dressed in white (the color of mourning in WoT) and the two women on either side of Moiraine look like Nynaeve and Alanna, so it would be in the present timeline. I'm extremely curious what it is.

16 minutes ago, Rose said:

It looked like a funeral to me, with everyone's dressed in white (the color of mourning in WoT) and the two women on either side of Moiraine look like Nynaeve and Alanna, so it would be in the present timeline. I'm extremely curious what it is.

Assuming it isn't a trick edit and we won't be seeing 2 such funerals.

The coolest part about Lan is how little he emotes. That way when he finally does make an emotional reveal it is massively significant. And to be perfectly honest severely stoic personalities aren’t that common in television anymore unless it’s done ironically (Ron Swanson) so I was kinda looking forward to it. In the prequel Lan was extremely stoic when friends die and Moiraine is the one who emotes more or reacts in a more childish ways because his stoicism is so prevalent. She can’t get reactions out of him. I’m not sure I’m about it…but, the only saving grace I will give them is this potentially could be difficult to convey on screen / they could use it as a way to sneakily convey the impact of the bond regardless of his stoicism. “Ohhhh, he is experiencing her emotions on top of his own,” Type thing. Again, not crazy about it but I think I could understand where they are coming from. They are trying to think of ways to show how magic systems impact the world without telling but showing. 

Edited by JaimAybara