DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 1 Discussion (Full Book Spoilers)

SinisterDeath

9 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

That's your theory of a war between her and the Reds, your the one pushing it on me, I've said nothing to suggest such a thing.

I simply pointed out that if Moiraine came across a group of Reds who were attempting to gentle a man who fit her criteria for the DR then she would do everything she could to stop them because, you know the whole thing where if he is the DR then he life's work has been wasted and the world is doomed.

For some reason you disagree with this and think she would stand by and just watch her life's work possibly be ruined.

It's Moiraine, she'd just throw herself in between them so that she could believe she was in danger and then start throwing Balefire at everyone wearing red.

Except she cannot use the one power as a weapon except against darkfriends, shadowspawn, and in the last defense of her life, her warder's, or another Aes Sedai's.

She knows the other Aes Sedai can't use the OP as a weapon against her, either, and meanwhile they're a great distance away.

Edited by Agitel

5 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

simply pointed out that if Moiraine came across a group of Reds who were attempting to gentle a man who fit her criteria for the DR then she would do everything she could to stop them because, you know the whole thing where if he is the DR then he life's work has been wasted and the world is doomed.

That's a fine theory of your own making. Didn't happen in the book and didn't happen in Amazon. Did the Reds gentle men? Happened in the book and happened in Amazon. We're (except for you) good.

3 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

That's a fine theory of your own making. Didn't happen in the book and didn't happen in Amazon. Did the Reds gentle men? Happened in the book and happened in Amazon. We're (except for you) good.

Um, if did happen in the books, or did I imagine all those times Moiraine threw herself at a tougher enemy in order to protect Rand.

I'll tell you what wasn't in the books, Moiraine watching Red's gentle a man who could be the DR according to her knowledge without a trial and doing nothing.

Edited by AusLeviathan

10 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Protecting Rand is a far cry from flying off a cliff and attacking Reds in violation of her oaths, to protect one of the many men on the Red hit list.

She tackles Lanfear through a doorway knowing that it may cause her to spend the rest of her life as a battery for the Finn, jumping off a cliff would be nothing to her.

Again it doesn't matter if he is one of many men, she hasn't confirmed if he is the one, until she does he may as well be the DR to her knowledge and if the DR is gentled then the world is doomed as far as her knowledge so what else matters then keeping him safe until she's confirmed it.

To be honest she probably wouldn't have even needed to get down there. Since she thinks he's a possibility that means the Red's actions are actually putting her life in danger (no DR means she and everyone else is as good as dead). The third oath wouldn't have been an issue as a result. She probably could have just hit all of them with a weave of air without any issues.

13 minutes ago, NightWolf said:

Whew... ok, it took me a minute to unpack that - (mwah-RAIN) throwing balefire at 5 red sisters (mind you, not known black Ajah or Forsaken) on a chance that the red's initial target was possibly an unconfirmed DR? If I were Lan in that scenario I'd would've said "fuck that, I'm outta here."

You think she wouldn't? The entire world vs. 5 red sisters breaking the law. I know which side Moiraine would be on.

Edited by AusLeviathan

2 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

no DR means she and everyone else is as good as dead).

Ok. Either Moiraine secretly had a hunch the DR was Rand or the three people traveling with him, or you've condemned her to be in all places at once protecting every man (obviously or latently channelling) from every person, good or evil. That's a fine theory, again, but it violates the law of gravity, or energy conservstion  or something. Now, of course you'll say "Moiraine can do those too," but since it's  not in the Book, and doesn't pass the laugh test, the burden is on you to create your own alternate WoT using that as its basis.

1 minute ago, Harad the White said:

Ok. Either Moiraine secretly had a hunch the DR was Rand or the three people traveling with him

She did know that it was him or Perrin or Mat (not Egwene though because she was pretty clearly channeling Saidar). Kind of hard to miss when the Dark One's army was searching specifically for them (and only them).

19 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

To be honest she probably wouldn't have even needed to get down there. Since she thinks he's a possibility that means the Red's actions are actually putting her life in danger (no DR means she and everyone else is as good as dead). The third oath wouldn't have been an issue as a result. She probably could have just hit all of them with a weave of air without any issues.

Two points here. First, she must have some actual belief or certainty that her life is in danger and that she is acting as a "last defense" to preserve it. Second, and continuing that point, your interpretation of the oath is so broad it'd be entirely ineffective even as Jordan wrote it, and would be far too easily loopholed by any Aes Sedai who can come up with some weak justification about how her life is threatened at some point in the future.

I didn't like the scene as a scene, but the angle you're attacking it from is becoming rather absurd.

Edited by Agitel

2 minutes ago, Whittle said:

If they were allowed to buy insurance across state lines then she could buy some from the Borderlands. Bet that’s covered up by the Blight. Might even be government mandated.

Yeah, but the cost to underwrite those policies is insane. Hardly anyone can afford the premiums.

9 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

She did know that it was him or Perrin or Mat (not Egwene though because she was pretty clearly channeling Saidar). Kind of hard to miss when the Dark One's army was searching specifically for them (and only them).

So that's why she didn't fly down the cliff, etc. Thanks for the clarification.

10 minutes ago, Agitel said:

I didn't like the scene as a scene, but the angle you're attacking it from is becoming rather absurd.

I mean the scene itself it rather absurd and stupid, every angle to attack you attack it from will seem absurd as a result.

2 minutes ago, NightWolf said:

FYI, I've petitioned Amazon to add laugh tracks to the Trolloc attack on EF in ep 1... atleast as bonus DLC content.

You could probably add a laugh track to the scene of Lan and Moiraine entering the Inn.

Just now, Harad the White said:

So that's why she didn't fly down the cliff, etc. Thanks for the clarification.

Mate if you're going to take my words applying to a later situation and try applying them incorrectly to an earlier situation then I'm afraid this argument has become too silly for even me.

Let's just end it by acknowledging that it's one of the worst scenes ever written and leave it at that.

Edited by AusLeviathan