DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 1 Discussion (Full Book Spoilers)

SinisterDeath

6 minutes ago, Agitel said:

I know the "rumors of four ta'veren" line wasn't in the script Sanderson saw. I don't think I saw him say the whole scene was new to him.

He said that and confirmed that the opening of the episode was different from what the original script had so seems the likely case to me.

The scene doesn't really make sense anyway. Moiraine doesn't attempt to stop Liandrin gentling a man who's the right age to be the DR on the spot without a trial? Even if she knows with certainty that he's not the DR it still makes no sense for her to stand by as it happens. Plus Liandrin would've had to return to the White Tower in order to be made part of the group sent out to capture Logain. I can't really make that timeline work.

Basically don't put much thought into it. The only thing about that scene I see being reference from here on is the Red's wanting to gentle men before they've had a trial.

3 hours ago, Kudzu said:

I find this interesting. It seems to be far more common for book fans to have issues with the pacing than non-book fans. Especially in episode 1. At least in the reviews I've seen anyway. Also my wife who has read some of the books, but isn't a big fan didn't think there was anything off with the pacing in episode 1. I certainly found it rushed on first watch, less so on a second.

My theory about what is happening here is that those of us that know the story so well are noticing everything that's missing. So it feels like they are jumping from one thing to another, because we know the bits that go in-between. Thus it feels rushed. But for someone who doesn't know the story, they can just accept it as it's presented and it feels pretty natural.

I’d say this is a fair assessment. I also agree with the guy a few posts up who said that a more faithful book adaptation could be done within the same number of episodes/ time length.

1 hour ago, Kudzu said:

She didn't conceal that she was an Aes Sedai in Emonds field in the books. She wore here ring openly and used her real name. Lan was also wearing his Warder cloak around.

No.

She said her name was Moiraine (not Moiraine Sedai) and everyone thought she was some high lady historian with a bodyguard. It was only after the trolloc attack that she was revealed and everyone began blaming her and she demanded; "Is this is what has become of Aemon's blood?" And she then tells of storied Manethren...

5 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Was Moiraine there? Thought she was with Lan on an all-expenses-paid vacation in Two Rivers.

She's standing on a cliff watching it happen.

Lan's like "You know he could've been the Dragon Reborn" and Moiraine's like "I've decided he wasn't for some reason, now lets go to the Two Rivers and find these apparently well known Ta'veren that everyone has  kind of left alone for some reason".

Yeah that entire scene is horribly written from beginning to end.

15 hours ago, Gothic Flame said:

Lol...those aren't homages at all. That's just manipulation. Seversl critics pointed out the attempts to make a viewer think lotr and GoT when watching.

"Homage" is a nice way of saying "stealing." But the answer is not clear to me who stole from whom. Tolkien wrote in the 50s. RJ later. Then came LOTR movie. Moiraine's quote about "myth and legend" are in Amazon, but come from the book. What isn't known (to me, amazing as that might seem) is whether Peter Jackson's "myth and legend" is in Tolkien. If not, then the path could be Jordan-Jackson-Amazon

44 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

No.

She said her name was Moiraine (not Moiraine Sedai) and everyone thought she was some high lady historian with a bodyguard. It was only after the trolloc attack that she was revealed and everyone began blaming her and she demanded; "Is this is what has become of Aemon's blood?" And she then tells of storied Manethren...

People thinking she is a high lady isn't the same thing as her hiding the fact she's an Aes Sedai. If she didn't want people to know, she wouldn't be wearing her ring. It's just most people in Emonds Field don't know about Aes Sedai rings and warder cloaks, so didn't put 2 and 2 together. I think the wiser heads in the the village (Tam especially) probably knew exactly what she was.

Just now, Harad the White said:

C'mon (Wolf) man. She could've flown down the cliff and fought a group of Reds. Pretty sure she did that in the book, but will reread a few times to make sure 

More seriously, we're not privy to when Moiraine arrived, and she seems quite far away. She could have really just been too late, literal last second timing.

57 minutes ago, Whittle said:

I’d say this is a fair assessment. I also agree with the guy a few posts up who said that a more faithful book adaptation could be done within the same number of episodes/ time length.

Sure, I reckon you could do a very faithful adaptation of the start in the same amount of time. Except it would all be from one POV. So instead of kicking off an epic show with a large ensemble cast. You have one with a very narrow focus and a very obvious protagonist with a bunch of side kicks. (that feels even more like a LoTR rip off)

We all know the story expands from there, but Rafe wanted to go with the ensemble feel from the start. I think it works once you get over the resistance to change.

4 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

C'mon (Wolf) man. She could've flown down the cliff and fought a group of Reds. Pretty sure she did that in the book, but will reread a few times to make sure

To be clear, in the books, Moiraine would've 100% jumped down that cliff and took on all of them at once in that situation (and she would've won too).

She dedicated 20 years of her life to this, she's not going to let a little thing like a cliff stand in her way.

5 minutes ago, Agitel said:

More seriously, we're not privy to when Moiraine arrived, and she seems quite far away. She could have really just been too late, literal last second timing.

Thanks for giving the topic the seriousness it deserves. How many times, in the book, did Moiraine go up against a group of Reds? Inquiring minds want to know.

4 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Thanks for giving the topic the seriousness it deserves. How many times, in the book, did Moiraine go up against a group of Reds? Inquiring minds want to know.

We don't know because we don't follow her entire 20 year journey.

We do know however that her first reaction to seeing Be'lal was to hit him with a forbidden weave and her first reaction to seeing Lanfear was to tackle her.

You really think a few Red's would scare her?

Edited by AusLeviathan

8 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

So why not spend her book life trailing the Reds and foiling their gentling plans? Seems like that would be more useful than a wild trolloc chase in Two Rivers.

Wild Trolloc chase in the Two Rivers? What in the world are you talking about?

Seriously give the books a reread, it'll help you understand exactly why the Red Ajah scene is stupid.

Edited by AusLeviathan

not even sure what argument is going on here? In the books they followed a rumour of a child that was taken from the battlefield on the slopes of dragonmount and that led to Emonds Field and that is why she was questioning people in the village about any one that was born outside the two rivers. Not some strange claim of 4 ta'avern

1 minute ago, AusLeviathan said:

Wild Trolloc chase in the Two Rivers? What in the world are you talking about?

Reread and rewatch. Moiraine goes to Two Rivers on the off-chance that the DR is there. Meanwhile according to your theory of a war between her and the Reds, she's letting them gentle all manner of FDs who might be DRs. 

14 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Reread and rewatch. Moiraine goes to Two Rivers on the off-chance that the DR is there. Meanwhile according to your theory of a war between her and the Reds, she's letting them gentle all manner of FDs who might be DRs.

That's your theory of a war between her and the Reds, your the one pushing it on me, I've said nothing to suggest such a thing.

I simply pointed out that if Moiraine came across a group of Reds who were attempting to gentle a man who fit her criteria for the DR then she would do everything she could to stop them because, you know the whole thing where if he is the DR then he life's work has been wasted and the world is doomed.

For some reason you disagree with this and think she would stand by and just watch her life's work possibly be ruined and the world doomed.

11 minutes ago, NightWolf said:

Oh in the show there were 5 Red Sisters so probably a bit of pucker factor for one Blue Sister and her Warder... I digress.

It's Moiraine, she'd just throw herself in between them so that she could believe she was in danger and then start throwing Balefire at everyone involved in the attempted gentling.

Edited by AusLeviathan