DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E8: The Eye of the World

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

For discussing Season 1, Episode 8 titled "The Eye of the World"

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 8.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

This was such a bad episode. Even if I had no book knowledge, this episode just made little sense. 

The good 

- The dream sequences were nice. 
- How easily Ishy handled Moiraine. Shielded her and ties it off in seconds.

- Lan and Nynaeve farewell scene. 

The bad 

- Uno better not be dead. 
- Perrin’s bad acting. 
- The battle CGI. The whole battle in general really. 

The WTF

- It’s been said, but the concept of the ladies linking sounds cool. But it made no sense to have them destroy the whole army like that. Everything about that scene was dumb except the visuals of how they burned out. That was neat. 
- So Rands just frolicking in the Blight. Sure. Whatever. 
- Loial is Mat now? Chasing the dagger for healing. I guess if you needed to do something with the actor leaving. Apparently the dagger has had a major power reduction. 

The other two people who watched this that are not readers were really excited for this episode. Both were also very disappointed. Just bad TV regardless of the deviation from the books. 

2 hours ago, Chadouken said:

What we obviously didn't see is that the Seanchan are avid surfers, and after a long journey they just wanted to catch the most righteous wave possible.

I now want to see Sul'dam on long boards with damane kneeling on front of board assaulting beach. of course the damane would be holding death cards for spreading on oath breakers bodies.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:31 AM, KakitaOCU said:

They're not.  Sorry.  Every complaint I've seen about "weak men" has been nonsense.  Having someone else do something doesn't make the original character weak.  Having someone not do something doesn't make them weak.

Lan was a consumate badass through the entire series, just not an emotionless rock.  He repeatedly does amazing things but because it doesn't come with some big flashy move.

I mean seriously, other than Abell Cauthon can we have an example of this supposed weakness?  Because as a man, I don't feel the male characters are weak, I don't feel like the female characters are dominating any more than I'd expect out of the world.

If you compare the characters from the books to the ones in the show, the men are seriously downplayed. Lan would never need help tracking anyone, anywhere at anytime. Yet now he needs help tracking a woman he's worked closely with for 20 years? Book Lan wouldnt have even been there waiting, he'd have said his goodbyes to Nynaeve and went after Moiraine. 

The whole scene in the cold open was another example. Lews therin, first of all, is The Dragon. His soul, reborn 3000 years later as Rand is the Dragon Reborn. Furthermore, Lews Therin is the Tamyrlin, first among servants, leader of the Aes Sedai in the Age of Legends. Not the woman he was talking to. Speaking of that conversation, she made sealing the Dark One away sound like some egomaniac's pet project to make a perfect world while ignoring the risk that it could instead destroy the world. In the books, Lews Therin's plan was a desperate, hailmary plan concocted because the forces of Light were losing the war against the Dark One and his minions. Lews Therin went to the Aes Sedai with a plan, basically begging the women to join his hundred companions in a huge circle and help him seal the Dark One back in his prison. A prison opened by a team of researchers led by a woman, who were searching for MORE POWER than they already had. A woman who become one of the first Forsaken. No one knew that attempting to seal the Dark One back in his prison would result in the Male Half of the True Source being Tainted. That wasn't discovered until after the men made the attempt alone because the women refused to help them. So her suggesting that outcome in the conversation just pushed the whole thing to even greater heights of ridiculousness.

Okay, how about Rand. I understand why they played "who's the dragon" but the payoff was nonexistent and instead we were left with a character who was down played when he is the Main Character. The routing of the army at Tarwins Gap was supposed to be his. The fight at the Eye occurs and then he pops on over to the Gap and saves the Sheinarans. Instead his role is minimized and we have 5 untrained women utterly destroying an army and some very important and explicit rules of the world. In the books, it is explicitly stated multiple times that channelers in a circle have a buffer against being burnt out by drawing to much of the power. In the books it is explicitly stated multiple times that the One Power cannot heal Death. Not only are 4 of 5 women burned out and killed, the one survivor, a character with no training and no skill at all with healing (in the books Egwene sucks at healing) heals death. And if Nynaeve wasnt dead, why didnt her or Egwene heal the other three women. 

Agelmar is a Great Captain. A military genius. He is portrayed as a fool who should have listened to his sister and asked for help from the Aes Sedai. Then he's killed. 

Perrin has done nothing since the first episode except whine and cry. Same goes for Rand and Mat. 

The waygates were GROWN by the Ogier. They do not require the one power to open. All that is required is the proper knowledge of how to open the door and the knowledge to read the guide stones. Instead, Loial doesn't do anything but guide them while Moiraine opens the waygate with the power.

These are just a few of the examples i remember, most from the last episode since it was the most recent and im trying to forget the series even exists. I never expected a 1:1 adaptation but we were promised by Rafe that it would be faithful. If this is his idea of faithful i feel bad for his partner or spouse. This is an abomination of a dumpster fire. It doesnt deserve to be called The Wheel of Time and im seriously angry at anyone involved in the production that claims to be a fan and didnt try to stop this. Namely Harriet and Brandon and Sarah. This garbage should never have been allowed to be put on screen the way it was. 

Merry Xmas and/or Happy Holidays to all!

I am late to the party here but have just finished watching this last episode (in more than just a name) and somehow already know I am going to bed angry. 

Disgrace and loathing, are as succinct as I can make my review of the WOT - TV Series because abomination has already been used here enough times. 

It was clear from the beginning this was the way this show was going to be, and lo and behold, the entire series is as advertised. Covid lockdowns and slim pickings in the entertainment world are the only reasons that this putrid carcass of a show has made it this far. The brief slivers of any semblance of potential have been drowned into the cesspool I now call WOT-TV Series. In the unlikely event that anyone connected with the show/production purchases the books and attempts to read them for the first time, it will still be far too late.

On the bright side, if there was ever a sci-fi production that could clearly represent the touch of the Dark One warping and contaminating reality, these eight episodes of offal were it. 

Stay thirsty my friends and so long!

17 hours ago, Ralph said:

That said, although I see why they took it from Rand, I didn't like what they did instead. It is clear Amalisa thought she was throwing her life away like her brother had, because she had no chance of saving the city anyway. Then two mega power cells turned up, but still... And the Eg healing N bit was unneeded. 

Agree on the Eg healing thing, that was just dumb.

After a little more time to digest it, I definitely think that they were going for a Manetheren last-stand vibe from them.  It thematically fits.   

I suspect a lot of the discomfort with this episode stems from the fact that a lot of fans wanted the season to end on a high-note with a clear victory but overall it makes more sense to end on a low-note.

The Amalisa circle thing ties into this point here (in the big picture)

17 hours ago, Ralph said:

7) The tidal wave I thought is going to carry the ships up to the top of the cliffs. We will see

Since, they are introducing the seanchan, they need to conceptually explain the damane/suldam thing.  Having Amalisa draw the power from others in their version of a circle and do a big power thing with it.  And, then you see the seanchan channelers doing something conceptually similar.

As for the wave, that's just a channeled version of a naval bombardment before an amphibious operation to me.   A clever Sanderson-esque way of showing it.  In the real-world, I suspect a lot of combat planners would love to have the ability to produce a giant destructive wave on demand rather than relying on the vagaries of pilots and artillery ranging.

I really liked Ishamael and I liked the way they handled the eye of the world it was pretty confusing in the books but I thought this was focused and I liked the aspect with Fain too that you really got the sense that the protagonists were herded and manipulated to do exactly what the DO wanted. Just thought this whole thing landed really well in the show and the book was pretty muddled at the end there as much as I enjoyed it. I also just really loved the way they did those interactions and the actor that played Ishamael was he was absolutely perfect (also just Valda, Fain, Ishamael, Logain they have done an amazing job getting actors for these roles I really like all of them and it is a real strong point so far). I really liked how he was calm, persuasive and just ruthlessly competent in how quick he handled Moirane (but then how she was just willing to do whatever she needed bringing a knife to a magic fight was also a good touch). Also just really dug the idea that Ishamael taught Rand to channel and loved him taunting Moirane about it.

I didn’t mind the changes to the eye of the world and I don’t know a great way to show a pool of magic in a way that isn’t going to look cheesy and then to have the dragon reborn starter kit at the bottom is something I personally can do without and to have the horn be something they have at the border in case things really get out of hand actually makes sense. I think the story is shaping up to be Rand just goes to Ruidean (looked like an out of focus city with golden domes in the distance of the blight), Matt goes to TV and goes through the doorway and that probably explains why he looks different and then he starts chasing the dagger, Eggy and Nyn go to the tower for training and get dragged to Falme maybe with Matt, Perrin and Loial start the hunt for the horn and then they all meet in Falme which isn’t the worst way to go.

I totally get that the strategy used by Agelmar was pretty bad and he is supposed to be one of the best tacticians in the world but I liked that we got the speech about the Trollocs taking over the world I liked how it shows that aspect that again came out later in the books but the feeling that the borderlands gave up everything to protect people that didn’t even believe in Trollocs. He didn’t feel there was a strategy that would work and it was just more of a last stand which is what the book was too he didn’t really have a great plan there either it was basically desperation and a last stand. It kind of fit with this steady retreat of humanity just being pushed back as the dark ones hold strengthens Malkier, Tarwin’s gap just keep getting pushed back. The second thing is I just really liked this visually and there are a couple times this season visual parts almost look like book cover art and the scene with the fade holding up it’s sword, the look of the wall and the Trollocks climbing and the shots of the defenders lined up all visually looked great.

The circle of wilders I think someone mentioned that almost everything they show has to do almost double duty because of how little time they have so I thought this was a great way to show the addictiveness of the power, the risks of going too far, the power of Nyn and Egg and why they need training in the first place. Yeah we didn’t get Rand in Tarwin’s gap going nuclear but there are a lot of opportunities for that and Rand flying around solving every problem like he did in the book just wouldn’t work here so it does kind of suck that we missed it but I get how him just showing up to save the day may not work that well here either. I also did think the fight with Ishy here and then a second fight at Toman Head is a bit redundant and if you have to cut things do it once and do it well so I don’t mind there not being a fight here and Ishy trying to convince Rand first and when he can’t be convinced try to take him out makes sense so have this a persuasive conversation and end of next season have the fight.

One other area I’d say I really like the series and this episode in general is the sound. I like the music and the themes they bring in for channeling, the EF song (liked the sound of the Manetheren song), I liked the sound of the blight and then when Rand touched the seal there was a really nice transition to the dream by how the audio faded out. I mentioned before there were a lot of scenes visually that were just stunning and reminded me of book art and I think audio wise they have done a really great job in the series as well.

Now to the stuff I didn’t like and I am not going to dwell on this stuff because it’s been covered but the death fakeouts really, really, really need to stop and they just get cheaper the more they try and pull it off. They do have to reign in the power of Nyn just because it starts to kill the drama, I hope they show ramifications of the circle like that solidifies Nyneve’s block and I’d even have Egwene have repercussions like maybe they get nervous about pushing themselves because they are afraid of what they felt so they have to mentally get over that to channel at high power again (maybe seanchan ironically help get Egwene over this). Calling LTT the dragon reborn bugged me but the more I read about RJ’s quotes that’s actually what he intended the dragon is a soul that just keeps getting spun out of the wheel over and over again so both Rand, LTT and any other versions are all the same dragon soul reborn so the more I thought about that it actually made some sense. Just because they didn’t show the war of Power doesn’t mean it’s not going on and I think they didn’t want to do the main prologue because then you would know this is Ishy and not the DO so they can’t show that yet. I’d agree if LTT just randomly decided to try and cage the dark one because he thought he could that would be pretty lame but I’m going to wait and see where they are going with this. The part where looking out the window matched what we saw overgrown in the first episode was what I think they were trying to drive home here and I think we will get more of these scenes to flesh out the why. I’m sad we missed out on Fain getting captured, corrupting the guards and leaving the massacre behind, I did like his speech and thought that was effective but this scene in the book was really set up how depraved Fain was so I did miss it.

Then finally at first I thought the complaints about men being minimized were over the top but I do think there is a bad pattern here. One of I think the main points of the book was that men and women had different strengths, points of views and goals but anything of real power had to be done with both working together. I loved how they had women circle business and the town council business, one didn’t rule the other but both were important and worked together even if they bickered about it, with the power too how much more powerful when man and woman linked than when one tried to go it alone. At the time in fantasy it was really advanced POV I thought but now in the show it has become unbalanced going too far the other way which I do think does a disservice to how well balanced the story was. I hope they are going to bring it to a place of balance but the books started from a place of balance here it wasn’t something that changed or built up and I do think it’s a shame that the TV show is going so strongly favoring women. I do have a theory that GOT did tick off a lot of women so they could be making a strong play for that fanbase early but I don’t think they should twist the story to do that I think the story itself is balanced enough to bring in those fans without unbalancing the story to achieve it.

I've read most of the posts on this thread and agree with most complaints and concerns mentioned. However, to be fair to the show I can't deny being entertained by the season finale. Perhaps it was the post Christmas merryment or something, but despite its many issues I didn't feel like throwing stuff at the tv or thinking "why are they wasting time with this" when I watched the episode. I was basically glued in the whole 60 minutes. I wanted to find out what they'd come up with next and kind of captured that newbie feeling where you really don't know anything about the source material and just accept what happens more easily, which can be really liberating compared to the "that's not what should happen"-feeling that dominates my watching of this show. At the same time I was fully aware that it was radically different from the book and I knew it was going to be a contentious episode especially on this forum. I just hope for the show's future that non-book-readers viewed it more positively when they didn't know what they were missing from the book.

Some points about the episode:

- I really liked the idea of the flashback to the Age of Legends. However, as many have pointed out, the conversation between LTT & LPD had some problems, mainly the lack of the feeling of desperation motivating LTT's strike at Shayol Ghul and LPD's more than prophetic warning about the dangers of the strike. As I recall, the tainting of Saidin was very much an unexpected result of the strike, but here it was portrayed as something LPD knew was going to happen... and LTT decided to do anyway. That doesn't do justice to LTT; it makes him look brash and careless. Further, the little details were unnecessarily wrong; LPD being called Tamyrlin when it was actually LTT that (as far as I recall) was the only mentioned wearer of the Ring of Tamyrlin in the book (as per Ishamael). Also... LTT as the Dragon Reborn? That to me seems like the ultimate unforced misunderstanding or sloppy handling of the lore, even worse than "rumours of four ta'veren". 

- I really liked that we finally got to see Ishamael. It took me a while to get used to the actor's appearance (compared to my head canon) but once it got rolling I grew to like him. I only wish they had made him appear earlier during the season and given him some lines earlier. Visually I'm not a big fan of the mask design so I would have been fine if they'd ditched it completely and have him appear in the dreams more as a mysterious nameless figure with interesting things to say rather than as the flashing figure in a mask.

- Rand being tempted by the ability to shape reality was an interesting change to make. I kind of appreciated the roots of that addition as it is something that we'll probably come back to in the future. However, I also see risks in introducing that concept this early when it has a much bigger role in events yet to come. Can it be re-used convincingly? I also felt like this should have been Egwene's moment (Joyia) and kind of felt like it was robbed from her. Also the ending of that dream scene didn't really have the kind of punch I would have wanted. 

- Agelmar and the battle of Tarwin's Gap felt poorly executed. I kind of figured where they were headed with Agelmar from last episode but I still mourn the fact that he was made to be a bit of a simpleton. I didn't really understand the whole cavalry charge to man the wall (why wasn't it already manned?) and ditching the horses to mount a standing defense. Shouldn't the cavalry be used as a last resort in case the Trollocs break through? Aren't the Shienarans known as the finest cavalry in Randland? Yet now it looked like they had no role to play in defense of Tarwin's Gap except escorting the men to the wall. Also the fact that the channelers were left behind instead of used to defend the wall before it was breached feels stupid. If a handful of untrained channelers are that effective then why do you sacrifice manpower first and leave the channelers behind? 

- The women's circle felt overpowered to my liking. This seems problematic to me because now it looks like a handful of (poorly trained) sisters is enough to beat an entire army of Trollocs and Fades. I also disliked some of the melodramatic moments of the circle, Nynaeve reciting the Women's Circle words etc. And yes, the "dead but not dead" moments are becoming a bit tiresome as a trope. I never really thought Nynaeve was "dead" but I did think for a while she might be scarred but pretty soon realized that *of course* Egwene's going to heal her. I like both the book and tv Egwene better than most but I feel like they're still stretching hew awesomeness a bit too far. In general, I have to admit that whole circle scene had a bit of a Wonder Women/Power Rangers feel to it. It would be nice to see something other than female channelers coming in to save the day in spectacular fashion for a change. I understand the complaint that this should have been Rand's time to shine.

- Nynaeve's "tell" on Moiraine stuck out like a sore thumb. It stretches imagination that Lan the Wonder Warder would need Nynaeve's help to track his companion of 20 years. Curiously, I thought the Lan-Nyn conversation which was close to the book felt kind of stiff to me. Further, I can't help feeling the bed scene in last episode is now cheapened by the fact that they still decided to keep their relationship platonic for now. I thought the point of it was that they're speeding up the relationship, but now they slow it back down again.

- This wasn't something that bothered me on initial watch, but when posters pointed it out I don't really understand the concept of Moiraine keeping Rand at knifepoint. Couldn't Ishamael just channel her knife away or freeze her and disarm her with the One Power?

- The Horn of Valere being buried in Fal Dara feels kind of wrong obviously. Questions arise of why it wasn't used in earlier upheavals during the Trolloc Wars etc. The explanation being that only the Dragon can use it, but still... 

- I'll be honest: I worry about Perrin's character. Here we are at the end of season 1 and frankly he still feels like useless hanger on compared to the rest. His whole arc has been underdeveloped. I still come back to Ep1 and the killing of Laila. One has to ask... has that change really improved his arc? To me it just made him mope for the majority of the first season, sucking the life out of every scene with him with very little positive payoff. How could there be? It's very difficult to be excited about anything when he appears on screen because much of it just ends up being miserable (like the love triangle thing). He was robbed of the one interesting part of his arc in book 1 in Elyas. In this episode he didn't do a damn thing when he saw Fain had killed a bunch of the good guys. Where is the axe? I feel for Marcus Rutherford because he's being served an awful role so far. I do worry that he might not be a great actor but I feel like the writers are throwing him to the wolves here (no pun intended). Just let him be a normal carefree guy for a while and...oh right, he killed his wife and is therefore destined to be miserable for the rest of his life because that is indeed what often happens when you kill your wife.

- I think some of the clunkiness in what happened in Fal Dara especially for Perrin can be attributed to Barney leaving the show. It feels much of the stuff with Perrin was written for Mat and had to be hastily rethought.  

- I really liked Padan Fain. His little speech about all five of them being important and how this is just the beginning was really good and helped tying this episode to future events.

- I understand the complaint about Rand being robbed of a defining scene at Tarwin's Gap. I would have liked to see it but in the show's defense the book version of this event was really confusing as well. How for one would they explain Rand zooming around, suddenly appearing in Tarwin's Gap with badass channeling skills? Would they have to introduce Traveling? It was really confusing in the books and I always worried how they'd be able to portray it on screen without making everyone confused (turns out they didn't, hah). It's one of those things that just feels really difficult to portray without making it feel really random for non book readers. I would be curious to hear people's ideas about how they would have done it on screen.

- Rand going on his own really throws a wrench in much of what happens in the beginning of the Great Hunt in Fal Dara. It does somewhat fit his character and the story is already so different from the books that it doesn't really seem illogical. I guess this means my hoped for training scene with Lan has been postponed again.  

I think the biggest thing this episode did for me was that it shattered my expectations that the series strives to be faithful to the book. Sure, the core is still there (despite the changes, the main players are somewhat close where they are supposed to be at the end of TEotW) but it feels like they are really fine with changing some significant events for reasons I can't fully grasp. I admit I feel a bit of a fool trying to think how they're going to do scenes from the book only to end up witnessing something completely different. I mourn the fact that they're taking so many liberties with the source that I love and the fact that I likely won't be seeing events and scenes on screen that I have been waiting for. I was prepared and even excited about potential changes to the books (especially the slog parts) but I didn't expect it to deviate this much so early into the story. 

3 hours ago, TheDreadReader said:

After a little more time to digest it, I definitely think that they were going for a Manetheren last-stand vibe from them.  It thematically fits.   

Agreed I'm not actually bothered by the actual power output, it's established that a channeller going completely nuclear can definitely wipe out armies. We don't really know how big the army attacking Manetheren was but I doubt it was small.

That being said I think it's setting a standard that will be hard to live up to in the future for channellers. Maybe the fact that it was far more than they could be handled will be sufficient, but I wouldn't be suprised if it comes back to bite them.

3 hours ago, TheDreadReader said:

I suspect a lot of the discomfort with this episode stems from the fact that a lot of fans wanted the season to end on a high-note with a clear victory but overall it makes more sense to end on a low-note.

To me the deaths of Agalmar + Amalisa, along with Ishamael getting exactly what he wanted was sufficient to instill a bit of downer feeling. What's unecessary to me is not only Agalmar looking frankly incompetent (for a great captain to boot!), but also the Shienarans not getting the chance to properly fight the trollocs. A last heroic charge to crush the trollocs after the sacrificial play from Amalisa would have been more palatable to me. It's still a victory with dreadful consequences but the good guys don't come across as incompetent.

Whatever Moiraine's situation is also contributes to the painful ending but since that's clearly meant to set up her story in the second season fair enough.

It's hard not to feel like the climax of the season was underwhelming, and undersold a few characters as well. Maybe the covid restrictions prevented some things like a proper battle, but ultimately the episode was definitely lacking in my opinion.

Edited by MasterAblar

On 12/23/2021 at 9:36 PM, CaddySedai said:

Also definitely shielded. 

A really damn good one. 

Its not that she is stilled “its there at the end of her fingertips but she cant quite touch it.”

During gentling you saw power being ripped out not pushed in. 

Read somewhere, thats to expand Moiraine's role next season. In TGH, she goes to Vandene and Adeleas to read books? Now she will go on trip to unwind the Shield.

Pretty sure that Ishamael just tricked Rand and Moirane into breaking first seal.

5 minutes ago, Masha said:

Pretty sure that Ishamael just tricked Rand and Moirane into breaking first seal.

After rewatching that scene 2 question came to my mind, especially since Moiraine and Lan talk about the Cuendillar after.

Was Rand already channeling the True Power here, there are some strands that are white while others are black, while other seem to be white at the core with the blackness gushing over the white...

Also, and this is a Book universe question. Could Saidin channelers, during the time it was tainted maybe have broken Cuendillar(not directly by channeling but rather by overloading it with the taint)

Ok here is problem, why didn't Ishy break the seal himself?  If he was right there then couldn't he have blasted it himself?  or did I miss something?

Watching it makes me think Moiraine is shielded. the issue with her being shieled and if it's tied off then only Ishy can remove it.  By book lore even if Ishy died the shield should still hold. Or a whole hell of alot of balefire.  Guess Rafe could change that.  If she's stilled they could have wonder Nyn heal her.

A faithful summary of the character arc of the Dragon Reborn

I wanted to post in that thread but it's locked. Anyway here is how it goes in the show SPOILERS!

Spoiler

Rand: Knock knock

Moraine: Who's there?

Rand: I am the Dragon Reborn!

Moraine: Ok I will now ignore the other possible dragons on your say-so. Lets go alone. We won't need my warder who has dedicated himself to fighting the shadow his whole life.

Rand: Lol yeah and Perrin will just run back to Fal Dara at the first sign if trouble.

Moraine: I'll just forget I even considered two powerful female chanellers for this. I'm the star of this show!

3 minutes ago, Sabio said:

Ok here is problem, why didn't Ishy break the seal himself?  If he was right there then couldn't he have blasted it himself?  or did I miss something?

Watching it makes me think Moiraine is shielded. the issue with her being shieled and if it's tied off then only Ishy can remove it.  By book lore even if Ishy died the shield should still hold. Or a whole hell of alot of balefire.  Guess Rafe could change that.  If she's stilled they could have wonder Nyn heal her.

If it is tied off you can eventually break through it. That's why they prefer not to tie it off with Logain.

35 minutes ago, Sabio said:

It may depend on where Ishy exists in relation to the seal.  The whole "I was never bound" thing always confused me.  Is he partially sealed in the bore but close enough that he can still reach out beyond the bore?  Or, is he not in the bore itself?

If you think of him as being in the bore itself (even partially) then it would make sense that he would need someone fully within the "pattern" to break the seal because it exists within the pattern much in the same way that Rand has to have the seals fully broken later.

35 minutes ago, Sabio said:

I am thinking that she is shielded despite the comments of both Brandon and Rafe.   I think they responded in a way that created Aes Sedai level wiggle room. 

Edited by TheDreadReader

40 minutes ago, Sabio said:

Someone pointed out to me that you can only weave spirit while dreaming.

Don't know if that was what they were going for but it works for me.

On 12/24/2021 at 4:43 PM, Raezold said:

Our version?

You mean, the version that Robert Jordan wrote? The same version that you yourself have read because there really only is one version. That version?

Oww good one!

You do realise that everyone has their own version? You did not recieve the One True Version via direct telepathy, you know ? Every reader has their own internal version of the books they read. That is simply how it is. Fact ?

Because I can't 'see' the same Rand you do, or imagine the same way in which the party travels, or anything that you saw in your inner-tv-screen.

? Allow people their own interpretation and dont be a dic ... tator. That's the word. ? Lets all just enjoy what we enjoy about the books and allow people to either enjoy or hate-watch the series.

55 minutes ago, Sabio said:

I think it is safe to say that the show version of WoT does not have as tight an internal consistency as the books.  Stills or shielded, if the show runners intend to reverse this, they will find a way even if it doesn’t strictly adhere to the “rules.”

I am still unsure if they intend to restore Moiraine or if they are using this as an alternative to a future plot point so that they can keep the actress around.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:27 PM, CaddySedai said:

But way I see it - I have no idea what will happen now. 

That's the problem Caddy. Anything can happen with no rules. There can be no cliffhangers.

You think Loial is dead? NOPE Egwene will heal him with the power of friendship! No doubt she will bring back all the dead characters at the beginning of season 2.

When do you think Moiraine will go away? SHE WON'T she will continue to be the main character throughout all the seasons.

Do you think Saidin will ever be cleansed? Of course, Moiraine, Egwene and Nynaeve will hold hands and scream and 10 seconds later the taint will be gone. No problems. Feel free to get invested in any character.

Posting this from reddit but I don't have a direct quote for the sources but this has been gathered from a number of interviews and behind the scene things.

Things impacted by Covid and losing Barney late in the game.

— A practiced, fully-choreographed battle with those trollocs had to be scrapped and completely CG'ed into one short scene after the break because those stunt workers were no longer available.
— The original location for Blight filming, which would have made it look more like in the books, was no longer available. This lead to the director's in-studio re-imagining with those funky tree spiders.
— The Padan Fain scene originally had Mat, not Perrin.
— Nynaeve and Egwene's battle scene was written last minute as a way of showing us some type of battle. It was also meant to show us that Egwene had learned something from Nynaeve's earlier healing, but that didn't really come across well IMO.
— Most of the final scenes were completely rewritten last minute because of the missing-Barney juggle.
— Covid staff, testing, and new procedures cut into the remaining budget.

If true we certainly had a subpar episode compared to what we should have had. 

While I enjoyed episode 8 it was certainly disappointing to me as a book fan but I am not going to let it impact my enjoyment of waiting for season 2.