DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E5: Blood Calls Blood

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

For discussing Season 1, Episode 5 titled "Blood Calls Blood".

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 5.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

26 minutes ago, Sabio said:

I had thought I heard Eladia was being cast for season 2?  I hope they don't, combining Liandrin and Eladia would be a horrible idea.

No official word yet on that casting.  There is speculation that one of the actresses announced could be playing Elaida but there hasn't been any confirmation of that.

1 minute ago, Sabio said:

It's unlikely he thought Egwene was too powerful if she was on her way for training and three Whitecloaks captured her and Perin.  He has killed 7 true Aes Seda so what threat could a novice like Egwene pose to him?  Valda seems to have the odd notion an Aes Sedai needs her hands to channel?  I don't rule out he might have some defense against the power. But I suspect most of his arrogance with asking Egwene to channel was more of being dismissive of her ability.

I always thought Moiraine being wounded and in the company of the Two River folks is what might of thrown Valda off to Moiraine being a Aes Sedai.  One also has to think what is Valda's chances of getting out alive if Moiriane, Nyn, and Egwene are Aes Sedai and Lan, Mat, Perin,. and Rand were warders?  He could of thought fighting three Aes Sedai at once was suicide.  If he thought he might of stumbled on three Aes Sedai it might be best let them pass.

From his reaction when he sees Egwene and Perrin it seems like he would have wanted to take further steps beforehand. I wondered if Bornhald would not let him torture them and that is why he had to stop there first time round

3 hours ago, pyrusmole said:

This is the post he's talking about

But the problem is that it doesn't say what he think it says and

The link you typed doesn't work for me anymore. On my mobile, there is some content starting with "u/mistborn commented on 15 days ago" and includes, "So, I have fought hard (but amicably) with Rafe..." Unfortunately this inclusion doesn't contain any links to a bona fide interview and not a word about the "unintentional" scene with Laila and Perrin, which is the subject of the controversy. IOW, exactly what I said: If he doesn't post the link himself, he will continue to argue that we have chosen the wrong link. Let's face it, there is no link. What other reason is there to avoid the simple act of posting it?

13 minutes ago, GanoesParan said:

I believe that it is a painting from Siuan that Moiraine is looking at in secret reminding her of the close friendship between the two of them.  

I agree. As a gift from Siuan, the "woman standing before a window/doorway" possibly represents Moraine's secret agenda from New Spring forward, and perhaps it might even serve as foreshadowing of events to come!

29 minutes ago, ManetherenTaveren said:

I agree. As a gift from Siuan, the "woman standing before a window/doorway" possibly represents Moraine's secret agenda from New Spring forward, and perhaps it might even serve as foreshadowing of events to come!

That’s what I’m leaning towards now. Question and I’ll put this in spoilers…

Spoiler

Do we think Episode 6 will have a Moiraine prologue? We’ve seen shots of her swearing on the oath rod. I kind of feel like this prologue will set up her quest but also show the connection with Siuan (and significance of the painting -see this TOTALLY relates to Ep 5 ? ).

and, if this is the case, how do you feel about the potential reveal of their friendship being shown in a prologue (I’d prefer it to be similar to the books where you think Mo’s getting chastised and they’re all besties behind closed doors- I like that twist to our expectations and hope the non-readers get that as well)

Edited by thievingsackofpotatoes

21 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

The link you typed doesn't work for me anymore. On my mobile, there is some content starting with "u/mistborn commented on 15 days ago" and includes, "So, I have fought hard (but amicably) with Rafe..." Unfortunately this inclusion doesn't contain any links to a bona fide interview and not a word about the "unintentional" scene with Laila and Perrin, which is the subject of the controversy. IOW, exactly what I said: If he doesn't post the link himself, he will continue to argue that we have chosen the wrong link. Let's face it, there is no link. What other reason is there to avoid the simple act of posting it?

I agree that Amazon wanting only 8 is a big part of the issues, but I will always say Rafe didn't fully understand the series.  If he did the leaving the Two Rivers wouldn't seemed so rushed and had more of a sad we are never coming back to our home feel.  It ended up feeling like no one in the town cared they were going off.  Shadar Logoth didn't feel epic and felt rushed.  Then you get episode 4 and 5 where it seems like not much of use happens and too much time is spent on side characters and main characters are pushed to the back.

Odd the quote from Pyromole didn't show up also when I did the quote feature to respond and just Harad's did.

Edited by Sabio

16 minutes ago, thievingsackofpotatoes said:

That’s what I’m leaning towards now. Question and I’ll put this in spoilers…

Hide contents

Do we think Episode 6 will have a Moiraine prologue? We’ve seen shits of her swearing on the oath road. I kind of feel like this prologue will set up her quest but also show the connection with Siuan (and significance of the painting -see this TOTALLY relates to Ep 5 ? ).

and, if this is the case, how do you feel about the potential reveal of their friendship being shown in a prologue (I’d prefer it to be similar to the books where you think Mo’s getting chastised and they’re all besties behind closed doors- I like that twist to our expectations and hope the non-readers get that as well)

Excellent thought. Perhaps a flashback of Moraine's acceptance test will serve many purposes...by testing her relationships with Siuan and others, as prophesy of her journey to come, as well as testing her prudence with her channeling abilities. This could be a cool scene.

Above, you state "we've seen shits..." Have we? ? 

Edited by ManetherenTaveren

8 minutes ago, ManetherenTaveren said:

Excellent thought. Perhaps a flashback of Moraine's acceptance test will serve many purposes...by testing her relationships with Siuan and others, as prophesy of her journey to come, as well as testing her prudence with her channeling abilities. This could be a cool scene.

Above, you state "we've seen shits..." Have we? ? 

Hahahaha…what does it say about me that my autocorrect changes shot to sh*t…

25 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Is there a name for the planet they are on? It's clear that on that planet "wolves" are the size of huskies on planet Earth. Why not? The canuspocentric hypothesis that all wolves in the Universe have the same relative size to humans as on Earth has never been proven.

Wolves come in every shape and size. The wolfdogs in the show are comparable to small wolves. Maybe we'll see a big greywolf someday

33 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Is there a name for the planet they are on? It's clear that on that planet "wolves" are the size of huskies on planet Earth. Why not? The canuspocentric hypothesis that all wolves in the Universe have the same relative size to humans as on Earth has never been proven.

They're on earth

1 hour ago, Harad the White said:

He did pose the link. Stop lying.

3 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Age before AoL is  ~our age

Another tragedy when they destroyed Thom’s character. We loose out on the tales he was teasing from the age before the age of legends, like the Giant Merc (America) and Mosc (moscow). fighting with fiery lances that reached around the world (ICBM)...

10 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Age before AoL is  ~our age

I know someone that has AoL mail, but that's not evidence they are on Earth. This hypothesis is that Age of Legends is like Greek mythology. But in Greek mythology they have numerous links to actual Earth that all Earthlings recognize. Not so in AoL.

11 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

The Westlands...is all the name have I think;

87ed6f5dfcd85654cda56fdb9ff867f1.jpg

A similar map in LoTR is called Beleriand. The First - Fourth Ages are way before our time, when Hobbits are even more shy. The Misty Mountains, when the AoL followed the First - Fourth Ages, were called the Mountains of Mist. Then a huge asteroid crashed into the Earth and killed the dinosaurs, elves, and AS. This lead to the Garden of Eden, and all the rest follows.

2 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

A similar map in LoTR is called Beleriand. The First - Fourth Ages are way before our time, when Hobbits are even more shy. The Misty Mountains, when the AoL followed the First - Fourth Ages, were called the Mountains of Mist. Then a huge asteroid crashed into the Earth and killed the dinosaurs, elves, and AS. This lead to the Garden of Eden, and all the rest follows.

Spoilers...ahh!

13 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

I know someone that has AoL mail, but that's not evidence they are on Earth. This hypothesis is that Age of Legends is like Greek mythology. But in Greek mythology they have numerous links to actual Earth that all Earthlings recognize. Not so in AoL.

This is from a Quora article - not 100% conclusive but plenty of evidence (plus shots from tv show) to suggest that we are on Earth with WOT

https://www.quora.com/Was-it-ever-explained-why-Robert-Jordan-never-cited-the-name-of-the-planet-in-the-Wheel-of-Time-book-series-Is-there-canonical-evidence-that-could-support-an-alternate-Earth-theory

The Wheel of Time is set in a far, far future version of Earth, but I think Jordan didn’t want that to distract us from the main narrative.

There are numerous suggestions and hints about this scattered throughout the novel, from the presence of Earth-type species (horses, goats, cattle, wolves, etc.) to the treasures in Shadow Rising, to the Aes Sedai symbol which is very close to the yin yang symbol.

There are even references to various events that have been codified into legends, e.g. "Did Mosk and Merk really fight with spears of fire, and were they even giants?" (Chapter 20: Winds Rising, Shadow Rising) The names are referring to Moscow (Mosk) and America (Merk) during the Cold War.

The women even find a Mercedes Benz hood ornament at one point.

These are all tiny little Easter eggs for eagle-eyed fans. He rewards close reading in the same way that Martin does, but he also doesn’t want to bog down his narrative in distractions about who exactly the Andorans are descended from or if Africa is in the same place as it used to be. He wanted Randland (fan name for the world) to stand on its own.

I think we could be seeing an alternate Earth in that we know Randland is only one of thousands of iterations across the multiverse, but it’s also clear that Randland is thousands, possibly ten thousand, years into our future.

Any evidence against it being Earth is awkward to support as the land masses don’t have to match up after Lews Therin broke the World, and the lack of magic or Ogier today doesn’t mean much either. We have wonders that would have astounded everyone in the world in the era of Gilgamesh, who was also referenced.

So it’s Earth in the distant future and it isn’t confirmed because it doesn’t need to be.