DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E1: Leavetaking

SinisterDeath

2 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

I get what they were trying to demonstrate and I liked it - but it’s gonna give a lot of people the wrong impression of their relationship. Maybe thats the point. Or maybe they’ll be having sex at some point and I’ll be furious. And I’ve got no issue with Lan wanting the water to be warmer. Even a warrior badass can enjoy a good soak. 

I also get what they were trying to demonstrate, I just don't feel it was done well. I think that is a summary of all of my criticisms..... I am not disagreeing with the BIG PICTURE that Rafe is trying to accomplish. But the execution, so far, is poor. 

1 minute ago, Meskell said:

I don’t know why beyond a vibe but I really felt that Laila didn’t go to Egwenes initiation because Egwene and Perrin had been intimate in the past. 

Laila was given so little screen time (and what, 2 lines?) that all the characterization felt spurious. I too felt like that's what they were implying at first, though part of me also thinks they were going for recent miscarriage vibes (the wistful Bel Tine lantern look plus the hand on her belly when Perrin first goes to her in the forge). Who knows what's on the cutting room floor there.

12 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one disappointed with the actual leave taking scene. Really it makes zero sense in terms of character motivations and all the rest. I liked a lot of what they did in this first episode but in terms of Moiraine even suspecting the four of them, all we had was her shooting meaningful looks at the four of them if memory serves me correctly. 

It's definitely odd that she was certain it was thm 4 considering they weren't specially targeted by the trollocs, and also are there no other girls Egwene's age? In the books there were a couple other boys Moiraine had suspicions about before narrowing it down, and here there's literally just Egwene of the girls. If you're gonna open the possibilty for a female dragon reborn then that seems odd. But again time crunch so probably wouldn't be possible anyway.

3 minutes ago, Agitel said:

I did roll my eyes when Moiraine said there were rumors of four ta'veren from the Two Rivers. It was not that she said "four" instead of "three", I'm just wondering how in the heck there are rumors of any ta'veren at all from EF.

Yeah beyond the change to four which I really hope thats only a rumour cause damnit I want my fiercely independant Egwene who takes charge of her life, but also because there's no justification for the rumours.

And they didn't even explain the term anyway so what was the point of name dropping it? Weird decision to me.

25 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

It worked for me. The Red certainly doesn’t help the audience understand the real problem or the dichotomy, but it’s also something I’d expect a Red to say. Now as I’ve said before, the boy or girl decision was a stupid move. 

It doesn't help the audience understand though because it gives two incorrect assessments of men channeling the One Power, things that are never in question in EOTW. Unless of course she's meant to be correct in her description of the problem, in which case I can't imagine that going down well with the fan base.

17 minutes ago, Katherine said:

I am not disagreeing with the BIG PICTURE that Rafe is trying to accomplish. But the execution, so far, is poor. 

The way they handle Perrin killing Laila and the obvious implication that she was a Darkfriend to book fans at least is a pretty good example of how Rafe's big picture is working.

He's created the series for people who haven't read the book. This is why we're getting things like that, the Dragon Reborn mystery and Lan with Moiraine in the bath. We're meant to get the wrong idea and then be shocked when it's revealed later we're wrong, the execution is completely intentional.

Presumably the idea is that book fans will sit through it and like it even if the show is drawing out a very obvious reveal far longer than it should be.

Edited by AusLeviathan

7 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

It doesn't help the audience understand though because it gives two incorrect assessments of men channeling the One Power, things that are never in question in EOTW. Unless of course she's meant to be correct in her description of the problem, in which case I can't imagine that going down well with the fan base.

He's created the series for people who haven't read the book. This is why we're getting things like that, the Dragon Reborn mystery and Lan with Moiraine in the bath. We're meant to get the wrong idea and then be shocked when it's revealed later we're wrong, the execution is completely intentional.

Presumably the idea is that book fans will sit through it and like it even if they show is drawing out a very obvious reveal far longer than it should be.

How is it longer than it should be? Perhaps to newer readers it was obvious, but at this point in the book, back in 1992, we certainly did not yet know Rand was the dragon. I don't get why you're against them playing it out that way for new viewers. It's not just us watching. We're probably 5% of the total audience.

Edited by Apoc81

38 minutes ago, Meskell said:

I don’t know why beyond a vibe but I really felt that Laila didn’t go to Egwenes initiation because Egwene and Perrin had been intimate in the past. 

If I’m thinking like a writer who decides to make up this whole Laila thing, here’s what I would predict…. Laila got pregnant so the WC forced her to marry Perrin. And she’s still very resentful about that so she ain’t going to a WC initiation party.

Perrin is trying to make the best of the marriage. Sounds like the marriage was quite recent based on what Mat says.  And now here’s the kicker - it wasn’t Perrin’s baby and he was just trying to save her further shame. And this will all be revealed at some point soon by tearful gentle giant Perrin to Egwene while they are in WC captivity or with the Tinkers. 

Basically I could write this show only I’d do a better job because I wouldn’t do stupid things like spending 32 seconds in Shadar Logoth or saying the DR could be a boy or a girl. Rafe - send me a DM if you’re reading this and I’ll be happy to get you some notes for S3. 

Edited by Beidomon

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Ararana24 said:

Whatever it would be by today's laws, it's still a huge disservice to the books and the character. I can't believe the rumor turned out to be true. Moronic decision. 

Rewatch the scene.
He hacked the trolloc, when it was clearly dead, he heard/felt something approach and swung wide without looking.

If he had rage killed her, he would have looked, swung, and kept swinging.

1 hour ago, Beidomon said:

They basically two halves of the same person. Taking a bath together would be no big deal. And the warming of the water was a nice touch. 

TBF, Moiraine probably enjoyed the view, and Lan probably just wanted a warm bath and she can make the water warmer.

11 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

If I’m thinking like a writer who decides to make up this whole Laila thing, here’s what I would predict…. Laila got pregnant so the WC forced her to marry Perrin. And she’s still very resentful about that. And Perrin is trying to make the best of it. Sounds like the marriage was quite recent. And now here’s the kicker - it wasn’t Perrin’s baby and he was just trying to save her further shame. And this will all be revealed at some point soon to Egwene while they are in WC captivity or with the Tinkers. 

No. The whole thing was to hurt Perrin with major trauma, not to create nonsense plotlines for later. 

Hi everyone. Long term lurker , first time poster. I would like to vent my thoughts , if i may. There are things i really liked and things i disliked about the first episode so here goes ?

The pacing for me was really off. I think the first episode should have finished with the attack on Tam's farm and the attack in Emonds Field. It would have given enough time to build the world better and espcially our main characters backgrounds.It should be shown how isolated their community is from the wider world around. This is shown in the book through Fain. I would have liked to see fain arrive and the exictement an outsider, and trader, would have had on such a community.  Then the fain speech to everyone telling them of the outside world and the fighting. The name Dragon reborn was ropped to casually with little reaction it annoyed me. I would have liked fain to have dropped the name and seen the villagers reaction and the importance it has within the lore. "oh no not the dragon reborn' 'klight save us' genuine fear .

Pikes performance dissapoints me the most. Moiraine is alert and intelligent , pike seems disinterested and aloof. Casually showing her ring etc. Its ok for us, the book autists, im just worried about how normies would feel, not understanding the gravity of the situations.

The Perrin being married situation is 'meh' for me, Mats family situation too. I can live with that but Nynaeve hurt me. I would have liked to seen her be authorative and imposing , i dont blame the actress just the writing. They had a real chance to give the characters real depth early on but it hasnt happened. The leaving of emonds field is meh. No talk of the pattern and how this is destiny and important. It feels rushed to rushed.

I did like the landscapes as if theyre riding through a broken world recovered it looked nice.

Edited by Finfolfin
Accidentally clicked sorry lol

I first read EOTW, TGH and TGH at the end of 1990. I followed the series for a couple of years then took a very long break and earlier this year started reading the series again with the goal of finally finishing and now am 1/2 way thru my first reading of AMOL

I am watching this episode and have to say as a fan of the books I was excited for the series but I am decidedly disappointed in how far off the source material it is. I don't see this lasting,

The actors they have playing some of the characters and the changes in the story and relationships doesn't work for me. 

While it had potential to be a GOT contender because both book series are great source material, GOT at least stayed true to the source material as long as it could and only minimally deviated. Wot in the first episode is far off the mark and should be called a VERY loose interpretation of the books written by RJ. I might watch e2 but not sure it is will be worth the time. 

If had to rate this on a scale of 1-10 I would give it a  4. 

On the idea of targeting the four, I think that it is still present in the show.   We're not explicitly told it but we may be shown it.

First salvo in the trolloc attack is near Egwene (but she's whisked away by Nyneave) before anything more could be done.   The al'Thor farm is still targeted.   Nyneave is dragged away.  There's a trolloc (or two) in the Forge.  Mat on the whole doesn't seem specifically targeted (but I have a theory about that). 

I like the Leila as a secret darkfriend theory.  It gives a adds a certain depth to the Shadow's "plan" that seems missing from the books.    Based on that, I wonder if Fain has been slowly "recruiting" Mat as a possible darkfriend recruit.

Spoiler

That could really bulk up the emotional impact of Mat's "I'd never betray you Rand" during the portal stone trip.   

Impressed with it so far. Wife had positive things to say about it, her main comment was that it seemed cheesy in parts, but high potential.

Perrin change: WOW, they actually did it. Don't mind it though, will probably make the Faile stuff more tolerable.

Mat's Family: I knew what was coming, but man they made Abel a piece of you know what.

Acting was quite good, especially with Egwene and Rand.

Battle scenes, didn't care for the camera movement at times, but pretty good overall.

Watching ep 2 and 3 tonight.

9 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

On the idea of targeting the four, I think that it is still present in the show.   We're not explicitly told it but we may be shown it.

First salvo in the trolloc attack is near Egwene (but she's whisked away by Nyneave) before anything more could be done.   The al'Thor farm is still targeted.   Nyneave is dragged away.  There's a trolloc (or two) in the Forge.  Mat on the whole doesn't seem specifically targeted (but I have a theory about that). 

I like the Leila as a secret darkfriend theory.  It gives a adds a certain depth to the Shadow's "plan" that seems missing from the books.    Based on that, I wonder if Fain has been slowly "recruiting" Mat as a possible darkfriend recruit.

Hide contents

That could really bulk up the emotional impact of Mat's "I'd never betray you Rand" during the portal stone trip.   

Well said