DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E1: Leavetaking

SinisterDeath

Just now, Joe B said:

I'm okay with the bath scene. I do not, however, like the dialogue. ["it could be hotter"] It's not just Lan, I strongly dislike this type of statement outside of observation. If you want it hotter, then say it. Otherwise, you'll get a "noted" from me.

Maybe that is meant to be an inference to her slight weakness in weaving fire?

I seem to have a distant memory from the books that it was her weakest weave or maybe I’m conflating it with men typically being stronger in weaving fire?

7 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

It accomplished a great deal in a short amount of time: the general take of the show towards nudity (it's not going to be gratuitous); the intimacy of the bond between Mo and Lan; Mo's ability to do magic; the fact that a Fade is in town and they have to speed up their plan. The fact that it was a shoutout to a Lan scene that had to be cut for pacing is icing on the cake.

It was one of the scenes that definitely felt more natural and allowed an exposition moment without it being an exposition dump. 

2 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

Possibly! I found it playful at any rate.

Pah! I find it childish. If you want it hotter, say so. This isn't a rant against the show, just that type of "playfulness" in general. I am a playful person and say things jokingly all the time. However, if I want something, I will say so or ask. That's one reason I like Siuan...she is direct.

59 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Pah! I find it childish. If you want it hotter, say so. This isn't a rant against the show, just that type of "playfulness" in general. I am a playful person and say things jokingly all the time. However, if I want something, I will say so or ask. That's one reason I like Siuan...she is direct.

Okay Joe!

Lan happens to be playful when asking for something.  Dang!  People don't have to do things like Joe.

5 hours ago, Meskell said:

The sharing of the bath doesn’t bother me too much either. Just because we haven’t been told about their bond yet doesn’t mean that the show can’t express it in a non-sexual way. Also goes some way to being a bit of a shock tv viewers when Lan ends up with Nynaeve as there will be an assumption that the two older characters are together. 

I think one purpose of the bath scene is to underscore the intimacy between an AS and warder so as to make it really clear to new viewers how awkward it will be when Lan starts developing feelings for Nynaeve - because in a lot of senses Moiraine and Lan are like a married couple. In the books a lot of the tension around that tripartite relationship is explained through Nynaeve and Moiraine's private thoughts (other than when Moiraine baits Lan just before the draghkar attack in TGH) - this scene helps to set up that dynamic more through visual implication.

So My thoughts are as follows
NEGATIVES
The Opening was terrible. I understand not wanting to keep the Dragonmount prologue.

But it had to be replaced with something equally as epic. Why they didn't go for Gitara Foretelling is a mystery to me. The terrible Opening really threw me off

The Ending was Rushed. If they had added 7 minutes extra to have the group properly say goodbye to the family it would have worked.

The Trollocs make no real attempt to kidnap the taveren. It looks more like they come to slaughter everyone rather than Kidnap Dragon candidates.

Finally the Biggest problem of the Episode was pacing. This is because the show is trying to do a LOT. We essentially get 5 POV's(Morainne,Rand, Matt, Perrin and Egwene) in this Episode whilst balancing worldbuilding. This is just too much for 1 episode and lead the the Episode feeling slow at times.

The FIX was to have had only 3 POV's (Morainne, Rand, Egwene). You can go deeper with Matt and Perrin in later episodes .

The Episode also suffered a Lot from ''Generic Fantasy Farm village content''

I probably would have included Morainne Flasbacks to break the monotone of the Two rivers content AND help the Worldbuilding.

POSITIVES
Casting is decent 
Beltine was touching
Winternight was awesome.
Character relationships are portrayed BETTER than they are in the original material

Overall the Episode is a 5/10
Edited by LordyLord