DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Wheel of Time will be released in November 2021

JenniferL

Guest Wolfbrother31

Yes. I will do that in the future if multiple posts is annoying to people!

But then it'd also be a really really long post. 

Edited by Wolfbrother31

1 hour ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

Which is again ... The marketing makes no sense. 

Cause if you know 0 about the WoT it's a lame poster. And if you're a fan and that's a way-gate, it's a lame poster (iconic?) 

On the other hand, if the alt-text is wrong...

If that's the edge of Shadar Logoth. Then it's iconic, maybe an actual scene in the show, and I'm hyped! 

Because that's awesome. 

So even though there's evidence otherwise. I'm going to pretend it's Shadar Logoth. And say. 

I love this poster!! ?

Agreed.  I liked the poster with no information available - I hadn't noticed it was labeled as a Waygate.  Not like anything from the descriptions in the books.  That said, if it truly is a waygate, I will need to see it in action during the show before passing judgement...

Guest Wolfbrother31
34 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Agreed.  I liked the poster with no information available - I hadn't noticed it was labeled as a Waygate.  Not like anything from the descriptions in the books.  That said, if it truly is a waygate, I will need to see it in action during the show before passing judgement...

I think there is a good chance the poster isn't representative of a scene in the show... Just suppose to garner interest. 

It's important how we frame our concerns. I think concerns that "Rand has to stand out from the others" is a totally valid and good point that I agree with. Personally I think he does, just looking at cast photos he's taller and he's got the hair. Seems to me that they've nailed it. Makeup and such can also impact this. But it's open to interpretation.

I've gotta agree that the Waygate (if that's what it is) doesn't match the image in my head at all. It's not a change I would have made. But it doesn't have me worried about the quality of the adaptation.

I found tbe interview with Rafe cringeworthy to be honest. and tbe waygate  isn't even close. If those are weaves tbey look pretty decent. My expectations are tempered but ressrving judgement until it airs.

Edited by Rand520

Guest Wolfbrother31

I'm really curious to see how they do weaving... Because that's such a huge part of WoT. And honestly, that's the part I have the most confidence that they're going to do well and I'm going to like it. 

13 hours ago, Ararana24 said:

Haven't posted here in a long long time and had to recreate my account, so my apologies if this has been discussed, but with the show around the corner I've been paying closer attention. Can anyone tell me if this article been debunked?

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/02/06/exclusive-amazons-wheel-of-time-features-big-change-to-perrin-aybaras-character/

That is umm... errrr... yeah no thanks. I'll be skipping this show. I already had very little faith that any TV or movie adaptation would do any justice encompassing the huge world WoT is, but to make changes like that...

If it means no Faile - perhaps one of the most insufferable characters and central to a “subplot” that wasted about a thousand pages - I can maybe get behind this. 

Consider, if RJ hadn’t conceived of Faile, might he have finished the series? Probably?

Edited by Beidomon

I don't hate the poster at all. First of all, I'm not sure how people are viewing this. I see it as Moiraine (Rafe's pronunciation was the worst part of the interview IMO) walking out of a Waygate into the light. I understand the "that's not the way a Waygate looks" concerns, but keep in mind it is now fully open. The actual visualization of the closed door and the leaf locking mechanism, etc. will probably look considerably different.

In terms of the "wokeness" of the interview, I think it's more an unfortunate necessity of the times that those things be affirmatively highlighted instead of allowing the diversity to speak for itself. I applaud casting diversity, especially in the context of Wheel of Time which takes place in such a huge, diverse world. And I assume that the actors were chosen because they are talented and the best people for the job. Gender is an obvious theme and something that is front and center from the very beginning of the story - so no issue there.

I am more mystified by the "not good or evil, but balance" angle. I mean, the concepts are in there. And there are definitely ways to highlight them in ways that will make WoT compelling from a tv standpoint. But, the series is also very much about good vs. evil. And that better not get lost in the shuffle. If it does, we are in for a disaster.

I guess the interview itself was a little bit underwhelming. It added nothing to my excitement, but didn't really detract from it either. On the other hand, the November release has me salivating. So, either way, mission accomplished.

Edited by Elder_Haman

Guest Wolfbrother31

Well said @Elder haman. I agree. But I think the alt text actually suggests she's going "in" to the way-gate.

But anyways, do you think we'll actually get some decent (more revealing about the show) content next week? [I'm baiting you into a prediction ? ]

Maybe a short teaser? 

We know the trailer will be before the end of the summer (which I would take as the end of August). 

That's funny @Beidomon. I didn't hate Faile, but agree that that plotline was ... hundreds of pages too long. Romance (and brevity) wasn't at all RJ's strong-suit & the show can improve on that. 

I also think starting the EF5 at an older and more mature (character wise) stage might actually be an acceptable change, because Matt (in particular) is an awesome character later on but is actually pretty annoying in the first three books & they got to get through a lot of material ...and are trying to appeal to adults (I think/hope?) and not pre-teen pranksters. 

Guest Wolfbrother31
13 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

If you look closely at the poster, I think there’s more than “weaving” there. There’s also some black sooty substance - Mashadar?

Yeah, maybe. Clearly part of the stone is disintegrating.

And since I really doubt this is a scene [most movie posters aren't]. They could just be including a bunch of different stuff fans might recognize and think is cool? ? ... 

If there's anybody "official" who trolls these boards (that would be awesome and I take back all of my negativity) ... And

Can we have another poster (that we can buy) with like ... Lan and Moiraine fighting Trollocs or something? (I'd buy multiples and give them to my friends prior to our watch party). Cause I know you made some BA Trollocs!

Edited by Wolfbrother31

4 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I understand the "that's not the way a Waygate looks" concerns, but keep in mind it is now fully open. The actual visualization of the closed door and the leaf locking mechanism, etc. will probably look considerably different.

I agree, but even with that in mind, the structure itself is still a fairly significant departure from the books, which describe them as literal doorways, smaller than this and covered in intricate engravings. But if that's the show's Waygate so be it, I do think the design looks cool.

It's an interesting idea that she's walking out of the Ways in this shot. They're supposed to be pitch dark, and nothing grows there anymore if I'm remembering it right (so the foreground grass is suspicious). But it's possible that opening the Waygate could illuminate the island area where the Waygate stands, and they did used to have light and things growing in them, so there's a good deal of leeway in what the immediate area around them looks like. If that's the case I do hope the Ways are still dark though, rather than having cloudy skies. I love the horror elements in the books, and Machin Shin and Mashadar are two of my favorites out of RJ's creations. I want to see them in their element, and the "island of illumination that the darkness seems to be eating away at" thing that the Ways has going is a really cool idea that I'd love to see on screen.

It could be that the clouds are simply artistic for the poster as well, seeing as they seem to take the shape of the Aes Sedai symbol.

Guest Wolfbrother31
14 minutes ago, lt;(^-^)gt; said:

It could be that the clouds are simply artistic for the poster as well, seeing as they seem to take the shape of the Aes Sedai symbol.

Yup. Exactly ...

Any guesses @Elder haman or @Beidomon or @SinisterDeath what iconic moment this might be though? 

13 hours ago, lt;(^-^)gt; said:

They're supposed to be pitch dark, and nothing grows there anymore if I'm remembering it right (so the foreground grass is suspicious).

When I look closely at the poster, I do not see grass at all. I see tendrils of something - weaves of the One Power, maybe? Mashadar? Both? 

On the bottom left edge of the door frame, something appears to be crumbling off and flying out toward the light. 

describe them as literal doorways, smaller than this and covered in intricate engravings.

The perspective is low and Moiraine is supposed to be short, so the size of the doorway is unclear. But we know it needs to be of sufficient height and width to allow Ogier to pass. But at the end of the day, if the Waygate is a little bigger, that's not a huge problem for me. As for the engravings, if you look to the lower right corner of the door frame, there are some swirls and lines that look different from the lighter ones to the left. I cant see them with enough detail to tell, but they certainly could be the continuation of an intricate carving that exists mainly on the locked Waygate itself.

If that's the case I do hope the Ways are still dark though, rather than having cloudy skies.

To me, it looks as if the skies outside are cloudy. But you really don't see what is on the inside. (I do agree that the clouds are meant to evoke the Aes Sedai symbol.

13 hours ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

Any guesses @Elder haman or @Beidomon or @SinisterDeath what iconic moment this might be though? 

Yeah, I'm guessing this is the moment when they leave the ways into Fal Dara. Moiraine is the last to leave and she turns to channel and shut the gate. We know that they are getting rid of her staff in the show, so that point won't be exactly the same. But I think that's the moment we are seeing - Rand and everyone have already left and Moiraine is about to do her thing.

I'm seeing what appear to be golden wheat-like grassy plants growing along the bottom of the image, seemingly distinct from the colored tendrils (which are almost certainly threads of the power) and the "disintegration" effect. As for the size, I'm having a hard time imagining this structure being hidden in a basement. Although they have plenty of options to get around that, for example maybe the one in the basement is broken-off at the top.

Again, it's not that I have a problem with it at all. This can absolutely work as a Waygate. And I take your broader point that it might be closer to the books than the poster makes it seem.

1 minute ago, lt;(^-^)gt; said:

I'm having a hard time imagining this structure being hidden in a basement.

This one wouldn't have to be in a basement - it's the Fal Dara gate. The change would be making the waygates appear different from one another. 

Very true, that's another option I hadn't considered. That would be an interesting change, although I'm not convinced that they'd want to do that for an adaptation. I feel like most of the adaptation changes will be focused around consolidating things and making them simpler to grasp, whereas location-specific custom Waygates would be adding details that don't serve much purpose and make things less aesthetically cohesive and/or more complicated.

regarding size and fitting in a basement, one has to consider that an ogier on a horse could pass through a waygate without having to bow.

And yet, it still did fit into a basement.

So, the size could be right.

as for the waygate being decorated, if i recall correctly, the carvings were on the "door". which would disappear upon opening. so, we see the waygate open, no way to know how it would look closed.

Edited by king of nowhere

Let me preface this by saying that it's all in good faith and good fun. Don't take me nerding out about this as anything other than wanting to pass the time thinking about something that I'm excited for.

A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation tells me that the Waygate in the poster is either ~22' tall or ~20' tall, from the base of the stairs to the top (depending on whether I use Rosamund's height of 5'-9" or Moiraine's height of 5'-2" to extrapolate). That's not accounting for the skewed perspective, which might make it a bit taller than that. It's a pretty safe bet to say that they haven't artificially shortened Rosamund in the shot, so I'll go with 22'. It's about 19' from where she's standing to the top. I'd still say that's pretty tall to fit in a basement, even a big basement. Most modern rooms are 10' tall where I'm from. Even if you bury the base, it's at least a 19' tall basement to fit the structure, unless for example it extends past the ceiling, or is broken, etc. Of course there are plenty of ways to deal with these logistics.

Ogier stand about 8' on average iirc, and a very big horse (Clydesdale) stands about 6' to the withers, so an ogier on the back of a big horse wouldn't be more than ~12' EDIT: I meant ~10' on average if he's half his height when sitting on a horse. Feels like a very generous estimate to me, but still far short of the ~19' we're given.

Another obvious difference between this Waygate and the ones in the books is the lack of full door frame - this is open at the top, it's 2 pillars that aren't connected (unless perhaps the top part will be done with CG). There wouldn't be any point in mentioning that an ogier doesn't need to duck if there isn't anything to duck under.

I feel obliged to keep saying it, because I don't want people to get the wrong idea that I think the changes are bad in any way. I'm 100% simply curious about what's been changed and how. And since the Waygate is pretty much all we have to go on for now, I've become obsessed ;-;

Edited by lt;(^-^)gt;
math mistake, and missing "the" in one sentence

Guest Wolfbrother31

After that episode of the Dusty Wheel Im feeling much more pumped and less anxious. If Brandon Sanderson is saying it's really good, especially episodes 1, 2, 6, and 7 ... LotR movie quality. I trust him. 

And as for changes... I'll really just want to hear - like, thoughtful explanations of why.

Also, I recant on giving Rafe such a hard time on his pronunciation of Moiraine... Since apparently even RJ pronounced it "wrong". ? 

Also, I'm dying to eat amazonprime ... Give us something! A teaser please! 

Edited by Wolfbrother31

I took his comparison to LotR to be specifically about the amount of adaptation change, not overall quality. He said it was less than "I Robot" (which isn't really saying much), and more than GoT, which was pretty faithful to the books. It lines up with what I've been expecting. I'm kinda grateful that he pointed out a specific episode script that he liked the most. A political answer might have been "they're all great" or whatever, but he immediately had one that he liked the most. That strikes me as honest, and in my mind lends more credence to his endorsements.

The whole Moiraine pronunciation thing was pretty funny. I always had it as something kinda in-between "Mwa-rain" and "Mo-rain" in my head. Now that I think about it, there are a lot of hard-to-pronounce proper nouns in the story, I bet we'll get some surprises on that front. It will also be interesting to see how they handle the old tongue.

I'm hungry too, and it sounds like we'll be getting a bunch of promotional content soon :3

I enjoyed watching Rafe's interview. A couple of things stood out to me:

1) He has the vibe of a parent of a newborn who has not slept in nine days. No doubt he is working extremely long hours on this project, as are many of the folks involved, all to bring us a show that we will basically be able to watch for the price of a three months of Prime membership, or about 30$. Hard not to be grateful for their efforts, even if we quibble over the details.

2) In every interview I have seen Rafe do, he is extremely gracious and polite. I think that probably translates very well behind the scenes to create an atmosphere where everyone from the writers to the actors to the directors feel they can express themselves/pitch ideas/raise concerns/etc., which will hopefully lead to the best possible show. (I do believe that in film, two heads are better than one... to an extent. Let's just hope he is not so polite that he doesn't like to say things like, 'No, Perrin is not going to bond with grizzly bears instead of wolves,' or 'No, Myrddraal should not have eyes just because it will be cheaper for the VFX team.')

3) Just a pet-theory on the goofy Moy-rain thing... the host was the first one to say it, and he has a very articulated style of speaking. So when he said, "Moy-rain," our buddy Rafe—infinitely sympathetic and not wanting to make the host feel silly—just went ahead and mimicked him. (The no-sleep-in-nine-days thing may have contributed to it as well.) 

I haven't seen the Dusty Wheel episode yet... but it sounds like Sanderson has actually seen rough cuts of the finished show? Or is he referring to scripts he read way-back-when?