DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Wheel of Time will be released in November 2021

JenniferL

Guest Wolfbrother31
On 7/24/2021 at 2:07 PM, king of nowhere said:

the  way they are portraying the threads of the power looks very interesting. i like it.

and that's pretty much the only new thing we have from that poster

I agree. That's cool 

Edited by Wolfbrother31

Guest Wolfbrother31
2 hours ago, lt;(^-^)gt; said:

This is the first time I've heard Rafe talk. He gives me a lot of confidence.

I feel the opposite ?

He feels the wheel of time is about "balance" and not "good vs evil"?? What?!!

They changed a lot but stayed true to the characters and heart of the storytelling ...

But they were really looking for a diversity of casting...

These kind of statements makes it so that I have a hard time believing it's not just gonna be chalk full of a certain modern political agenda that is NOT the heart of the characters OR the WoT

BUT, nonetheless, I'm excited...

November is right around the corner. And then we'll all see! 

Guest Wolfbrother31

Obviously there can be vastly different "takes" on what WoT is about/"the core of the characters and storytelling"

But if that's a Waygate in the poster ... It's further confirmation that @Thrasymachus is right. It's like throwing up a middle finger to the fans. It's not ... even  ... close.

And any "true fan" who really cared about the books ... Would go to the back of the book to the glossary and pronounce your main character's name right.

Edited by Wolfbrother31

We are critical that in interview after interview the showrunner seems to be most enthused about the diversity as opposed to, well, the friggin’ story.

They seem to be enthused by both. The idea that there's a strict "hierarchy of enthusiasm" in the showrunners heads that will screw up the show is such a weird take, and at the moment it is entirely without evidence.

Guest Wolfbrother31

I think having a diverse cast is great ... It's true that WoT is one of kind in it's scope. A world wide cast makes sense (though not for the EF5). RJ created whole cultures... with customs, history, politics, ect...

So I don't know who @mistborn82 is talking about exactly. Cause I think @Beidomon and @redgiant would agree with the above statement. So knock it off with the cheap labeling and dismissing.

But what we're ... I think ... pointing out... Is that we're worried (at least I am) that in order to be "woke" they might be destroying the story! 

Redgiant is 100% right. Rand has to stand out as "other" then the EF crowd & 

Spoiler

He must obviously be Aiel

Or it's without question... Not WoT. Right?! And maybe they'll make that happen. Hope so.

What Beidomon is pointing out is that the story/concept ... and I would add the world-building (not so much RJ's characters)  are what set the WoT apart. So I didn't like that statement. [It would be like George Lucas saying Star Wars is great because of the acting]

And at the very very heart of WoT is a distinction between male & female ... Right?! 

But that's not the "woke" agenda...

The balance comment vs. a story about good and evil. Ok. I've calmed down. I disagree that that's the core of the story... I mean, hello...Dark-One, Dark friends, Forsaken are the main antagonists...

Whatever. I think I see how he got there. But then I guess you end the story at the cleansing?! 

Anyways. I digress.

Just honestly. I really really hope it's good. And the truth is -- they still really haven't shown us anything. 

But everything they have shown us. Including the poster. Just about everything I've heard from Rafe...

I mean, honestly ... Give me a different take on how a "true fan" of the books pronounces your "main" characters name wrong. 

Or as the first "exciting release" poster -- has a Waygate that looks nothing like a Waygate?? 

My current confidence level is at ... I'd say... 20%. 

I think it'll look good. 

Be acted well. Written well. 

But, not be the WoT as I hoped it'd be... At all. 

But we'll see. Really hope I'm wrong. November! I'm excited about that. 

And surely we'll get more content to complain about and speculate on soon right?! 

Edited by Wolfbrother31

Guest Wolfbrother31

You know what though. 

I think it's quite possible that many of the changes aren't Rafe's fault ... But the Executive Producer and non-fans fault. 

So. 

I will stop being hard on Rafe. 

I wouldn't want to be in his ?

Edited by Wolfbrother31

Let’s not bog this down into a bunch of bickering over the casting. It’s done. It’s happening. Not only is it a really bad look for you to constantly complain about the race of characters, it’s BORING. There’s nothing new to add to that conversation. It’s a very dull topic and no one is interested in hearing you complaining anymore. 

Feel free to complain about the Waygate for a bit. It’s going to get dull eventually, but I’ll let you have that one for now. 

As far as themes of the story, one of the biggest ones isn’t Good vs Evil, it’s duality. So good and evil, man and woman, shadow and light, etc. Notice how many characters seem to have an opposite. Semirhage is like an evil Nynaeve. Perrin has Slayer. When the Tower splits, both the rebel and not rebel groups have Black Ajah Keepers and a Forsaken hiding out. The poster hints at this duality. If you look at the larger version of the poster the clouds behind Moiraine look like a ☯️

I think Rafe does understand the story. He’s just choosing to focus on different aspects of it than we did as readers. And that’s fine. It’s an adaptation, not a transcription. I’ll decide if I like after I see it. 

6 hours ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

You know what though. 

I think it's quite possible that many of the changes aren't Rafe's fault ... But the Executive Producer and non-fans fault. 

So. 

I will stop being hard on Rafe. 

I wouldn't want to be in his ?

that is also possible, indeed likely. all the thing about "diverse cast" and "inclusion" is practically mandatory nowadays, unless your target demographics is right-wings extremists.

no, a lot of people don't really care either way (as in, not really caring that a work of fiction also has to be a political statement), but if you lack those, you'll get harsh criticism.

though wot already supports an inclusive cast, with various cultures looking like many different ethnicities.

Haven't posted here in a long long time and had to recreate my account, so my apologies if this has been discussed, but with the show around the corner I've been paying closer attention. Can anyone tell me if this article been debunked?

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/02/06/exclusive-amazons-wheel-of-time-features-big-change-to-perrin-aybaras-character/

That is umm... errrr... yeah no thanks. I'll be skipping this show. I already had very little faith that any TV or movie adaptation would do any justice encompassing the huge world WoT is, but to make changes like that...

54 minutes ago, Ararana24 said:

Haven't posted here in a long long time and had to recreate my account, so my apologies if this has been discussed, but with the show around the corner I've been paying closer attention. Can anyone tell me if this article been debunked?

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/02/06/exclusive-amazons-wheel-of-time-features-big-change-to-perrin-aybaras-character/

That is umm... errrr... yeah no thanks. I'll be skipping this show. I already had very little faith that any TV or movie adaptation would do any justice encompassing the huge world WoT is, but to make changes like that...

i don't think we have any solid proof either way, but i know of nothing that would corroborate that story. and the way it's written does not make it sound very trustworthy

Guest Wolfbrother31

@Ararana24

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. I don't think anybody actually has that kind of info on the first episode. But I also wouldn't totally discount it. Rafe did say that fans should "gird their loins" for the changes.

@JenniferL I was going to say I expected more from a community admin ...but then I thought about our different contexts and let me see if I got this right.

For you. You've heard the "the casting is off because they are not the right colors" argument ad nauseum ... and it even got a little racist. Right? 

So you're reading our comments through that filter and ... I think, missing the nuance. 

So imagine that new people who don't have that context...who have just jumped back on DM or only been here a couple months... Might read your reaction. 

To them it seems emotional and dismissive and totally ignores the point being made. 

The color of the cast doesn't matter to the people who have commented so far ... If they picked the best actor/actress for the part that is what matters. But a certain look (at least for Rand) is essential to the STORY. 

But, again, for new people ...they're looking at all the things that have been released...which is: casting, some pictures, a few 5sec clips, a little from Rafe on Twitter and Youtube, and a poster ... 

And all those things TOGETHER, I'm wondering ...wait ... is this about making the WoT or something else? Because so far... Almost nothing, has been very WoT faithful. 

But I've just realized...from this past interview ... It probably isn't Rafe's fault.

But ... I think I understand where you are coming from Jennifer because if I read a hundred posts complaining that the cast doesn't look right ... I'd be tired of it too. 

But I don't think that's what is happening here. 

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Ararana24 said:

That article is speculation, based on on unofficial Casting information.

• Community Administrator
11 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

@Ararana24

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. I don't think anybody actually has that kind of info on the first episode. But I also wouldn't totally discount it. Rafe did say that fans should "gird their loins" for the changes.

@JenniferL I was going to say I expected more from a community admin ...but then I thought about our different contexts and let me see if I got this right.

For you. You've heard the "the casting is off because they are not the right colors" argument ad nauseum ... and it even got a little racist. Right? 

So you're reading our comments through that filter and ... I think, missing the nuance. 

So imagine that new people who don't have that context...who have just jumped back on DM or only been here a couple months... Might read your reaction. 

To them it seems emotional and dismissive and totally ignores the point being made. 

The color of the cast doesn't matter to the people who have commented so far ... If they picked the best actor/actress for the part that is what matters. But a certain look (at least for Rand) is essential to the STORY. 

But, again, for new people ...they're looking at all the things that have been released...which is: casting, some pictures, a few 5sec clips, a little from Rafe on Twitter and Youtube, and a poster ... 

And all those things TOGETHER, I'm wondering ...wait ... is this about making the WoT or something else? Because so far... Almost nothing, has been very WoT faithful. 

But I've just realized...from this past interview ... It probably isn't Rafe's fault.

But ... I think I understand where you are coming from Jennifer because if I read a hundred posts complaining that the cast doesn't look right ... I'd be tired of it too. 

But I don't think that's what is happening here. 

Keywords and Phrases like "Woke Casting" and "Diversity casting for Diversity sake" are often dog whistles* by Conservative Justice Warriors to troll with indignant outrage.

rand has that look. I'm too lazy to look for the link, but there is a picture posted somewhere of the EF5, and rand stands out. at first i was worried mat would be too white, because the actor is, but he got some tan and is now basically undistinguishable from the others. rand stands out.

Keywords and Phrases like "Woke Casting" and "Diversity casting for Diversity sake" are often dog whistles* by Conservative Justice Warriors to troll with indignant outrage.

on the other hand, "they turned the story on its head to make a political statement" doesn't exactly roll off of the tongue...

there are perfectly reasonable expression that have been ruined for being used in the wrong context by the wrong people.

Guest Wolfbrother31

Right. Wasn't @redgiant's point exactly that? That there isn't any evidence that casting wise they aren't staying true to what is essential to the story? 

Which is why the knee-jerk "get that racist stuff out of here" comments made no sense to me. 

I think the nuanced point is that all the stuff that has been released or said (casting being one piece of that) don't inspire the confidence in me that this will be ...faithful ...to the WoT

But, as you also know @SinisterDeath ...because it's been said ad nauseum even since I've been here... They are obviously NOT making it for the fans. 

So I guess we just need to temper our expectations...

Cause I do have growing confidence that it is going to be a "good" show. Entertaining on the level of ...say...

well "the connective tissue between LoTR and GoT". 

That was probably the thing I liked most about what he said.

Edited by Wolfbrother31

Guest Wolfbrother31

But since we know that they aren't making it for us. And Rafe probably doesn't have control of that. 

Why not have a bad-ass poster with Moy-Rain and Lon fighting Troll-Acs or something?? ?...

That would be a poster that would get non-fans hyped and even if they did it "wrong" ... I could still get excited about. 

The weaves are cool. And the clouds/sunshine ...as has been said, that's a nice touch. 

Guest Wolfbrother31

Which is again ... The marketing makes no sense. 

Cause if you know 0 about the WoT it's a lame poster. And if you're a fan and that's a way-gate, it's a lame poster (iconic?) 

On the other hand, if the alt-text is wrong...

If that's the edge of Shadar Logoth. Then it's iconic, maybe an actual scene in the show, and I'm hyped! 

Because that's awesome. 

So even though there's evidence otherwise. I'm going to pretend it's Shadar Logoth. And say. 

I love this poster!! ?