DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Casting Choices - Thoughts?

loving the fact a first nation(edited from first australian-my bad) is getting a shot at this.

nothing to do with accuracy of casting, that one, a different angle altogether.

for my mind, Rosamund Pike is a brilliant casting for Moraine, can pull those Moraine looks off better than the one in my head during reading, (i was leaning towards a Cate Blanchett on reading...thats what stuck first time around) Rosamund has that same kind of sophisticated authority about her.

i never had a clear picture of Rand, varying images, but i think that casting is perfect....

Salma Hayek was in my head for Nyn, so i can honestly say Zoe Robbins is an actual improvement there....

credit to the casting crew...ive pretty much wiped 16 plus years of preconcepting looks in my mind, and replaced them with the actors....and the show hasnt started yet.

that said, struggling a bit with Lan, but ill get there, i just want to buy in to what they are trying to do. 

Edited by RextheDog
error in terminology

40 minutes ago, RextheDog said:

that said, struggling a bit with Lan, but ill get there, i just want to buy in to what they are trying to do. 

He isn't quite as muscly as I pictured and I never pictured him Asian, but I am good with it now.

I saw a comment on a YouTube video today from someone saying Lan is way off, and then they proceeded to suggest an actor (forgot his name), who I looked up, and this guy was white, 5'10, and super skinny. People are already complaining about Henney being too short and small so it was kinda funny.

Edited by Deadsy

8 minutes ago, Deadsy said:

People are already complaining about Henney being too short and small so it was kinda funny.

It's his face and eyes which is the real issue, he looks too soft and well taken care of to be Lan, he's definitely not someone who's spent two decades fighting in sometimes harsh conditions.

Of course the problem is that there are few actors who can match that description these days. Back in the 70's and 80's there were plenty of former vets from Vietnam and even Korea who would've fit a role like Lan easily but in the present day there just aren't a lot of actors who have that look anymore.

Edited by AusLeviathan

36 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Three new cast members for season 2

Barthanes Damodred, Min's aunt and an unnamed character

https://redanianintelligence.com/2021/11/17/castings-for-the-wheel-of-time-season-2-include-barthanes-damodred-mins-aunt-and-more/

Casting Barthanes for season 2 means they /are/ doing Caihrien in Season 2. I thought that would be something they would cut. Nice.

4 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

Casting Barthanes for season 2 means they /are/ doing Caihrien in Season 2. I thought that would be something they would cut. Nice.

I think wotseries.com found out that season 2 filmed in a castle of some sort and there were musicians etc so we will most likely get the manor scene

I definitely pictured Lan as more of a Rory McCann big hulking beast type, but I'm sure Daniel Henney will be fine. From all reports, he and Rosamund Pike are pretty much carrying things as the more senior actors of the main cast. Complaints about him being soft or pretty kind of remind me of the Jorah Mormont casting from Game of Thrones. Book Jorah was supposed to be pretty ugly and actually look like a bear, then they go and cast Iain Glen looking like he just stepped out of a perfume ad onto the cover of a romance novel, but he ended up being really good and he kind of carried Emilia Clarke through the early years when she didn't really seem quite ready for prime time yet.

Edited by AdamA

6 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

He is very young for Barthanes. I'm wondering if he is actually another Damodred character from the books as I think he would make a great Galad.

I was on the Lan is too pretty train initially but now much better with casting.  A lot of pictures of Henney online are from earlier in his career.  He is also at that age where guys start showing how life has affected them.  During carpet interviews he looked a little more aged than I thought.  As long as him and Pike have chemistry it will work.  So far it looks like he has great chemistry with both Moraine and Nyn actors so I think it wil be good.  Not liking change to make warders emotionally conduit for Aes Sedai but have to see if it works.

For all my imagination I don't really imagine faces when I read books: I imagine movement, facial expressions and tone of voice. Especially tone of voice. Voices are important in my head. Yes, I hear voices when I read. ... I'm not crazy, I think.

Now, no actor has ever sounded like anything I imagined (except Idris Elba, I dont know why. He is one of the voices that live in my head, I guess). I don't expect to suddenly be surprised at hearing them and say: 'That is exactly how I imagined them!'.

As for Lan, I did imagine him to be imposing but caring and careful. He was never a hack and slash fighter in the books, at least not to me. So in my mind, if he is caring an careful, and cares for Moiraine, I am not surprised at him being well groomed, especially in her company. He is not there to intimidate people. If anything, I think his lack of intimidation is what makes him a more effective fighter in the books. So I think this Lan will suit my imagined-Lan very well.

Don't warders also age a little slower?

Edited by Daenelia

19 minutes ago, Daenelia said:

For all my imagination I don't really imagine faces when I read books: I imagine movement, facial expressions and tone of voice. Especially tone of voice. Voices are important in my head. Yes, I hear voices when I read. ... I'm not crazy, I think.

Now, no actor has ever sounded like anything I imagined (except Idris Elba, I dont know why. He is one of the voices that live in my head, I guess). I don't expect to suddenly be surprised at hearing them and say: 'That is exactly how I imagined them!'.

As for Lan, I did imagine him to be imposing but caring and careful. He was never a hack and slash fighter in the books, at least not to me. So in my mind, if he is caring an careful, and cares for Moiraine, I am not surprised at him being well groomed, especially in her company. He is not there to intimidate people. If anything, I think his lack of intimidation is what makes him a more effective fighter in the books. So I think this Lan will suit my imagined-Lan very well.

Don't warders also age a little slower?

Now I have to research slowed aging for Warders.  Sounds very plausible.  Yep Elba would have made wonderful Lan or Gareth Bryne. 

5 minutes ago, NightWolf said:

FYI, it took me 4 attempts to reread this section of your post because for reasons unknown, I kept seeing "feces" instead of "faces"... which if you think about it, that would moderately change the dynamic of your message.

On that note, I'm gonna bounce and go seek out some professional counseling for myself.

We all try to ignore the feces.  Looking it in the eye is the path to fear. It is soulless.

I'm sure you can tell a lot from feces. And it is suspicious no one ever talks about feces in books! Or at least: not in the books I read. Imagine though ... Considering how much I can tell from my dog's morning walks, I expect it would have been part of the stuff the wolves talk about.

And then as a reader we'd HAVE to imagine feces.

It's better not to ignore it though, @Guire. One may step in it if one is not careful.

I apologise for dragging the convo to this level. ? Sorry.

I blame the anticipation of seeing the episodes soon.

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, DaddyFinn said:

Her nose is not "bold" enough but yeah, totally possible

I saw this side-by-side on twitter with one of her pictures & some artwork of Faile. I had to recreate it, as I can't find that twitter post atm.

Granted, covers, official art, fan art are hardly cannon, and if she is Faile, she doesn't have that same nose. But hey, if she can Act. ? 

image.png