DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Casting Choices - Thoughts?

Hey! New to the boards but looking at the cast - I think it looks amazing - with two questions. I thought I would see what you thought.

Barney Harris - Not opposed to him as much as, I don't think he fits with the other three Emond's Fielders (not counting Rand obviously). He just doesn't look like he would have the same ancestors if that makes sense.

Daniel Henney - Not opposed to him per se, but as opposed to the Mat casting, this is not a general, but specific. Daniel doesn't seem to have a fierce look to him. I also, have not seen him in another role, so for those of you who have, maybe he is fully capable. 

Thoughts??

• Community Administrator
19 hours ago, jaimecito said:

Barney Harris - Not opposed to him as much as, I don't think he fits with the other three Emond's Fielders (not counting Rand obviously). He just doesn't look like he would have the same ancestors if that makes sense.

People in Two Rivers don't all share the same grandparents, and definitely aren't the result of generational incest. The "homogeny" argument is tired, and that word is never used in the books. ? 

If you want to go along the route of which actor doesn't look like they could share an ancestor, that goes to Madeleine Madden as she is of Indigenous Australian descent. Some of the earliest Indigenous Australians ancestors diverged from East-Asian populations 54,000 years ago.

So what I guess I'm saying is; it's easier to suspend disbelief, then to focus to hard about an actors genetics.

6 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

"Lan" is not small. He's like 1.85, and well muscled. Still not as imposing as book!Lan, but acceptable. Just like "Perrin" is not as big as book!Perrin, but finding an actor to actually fit the description would have been overly difficult.

Imposing book Lan, comes down to how he looks at people, not his physical stature.

A lot of Fan Art cast Aragorn as Lan.

image.png

Interesting fact, Viggo Mortensen is only 5'-11". Daniel Henney is 6'-2". That makes him easily a handwidth taller than Viggo.

This is a picture of Daniel next to Hugh Jackman back in 2010. (Supposedly Hugh is 6'-3")
henney jackman 2.jpg

3 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

People in Two Rivers don't all share the same grandparents, and definitely aren't the result of generational incest. The "homogeny" argument is tired, and that word is never used in the books. ? 

If you want to go along the route of which actor doesn't look like they could share an ancestor, that goes to Madeleine Madden as she is of Indigenous Australian descent. Some of the earliest Indigenous Australians ancestors diverged from East-Asian populations 54,000 years ago.

So what I guess I'm saying is; it's easier to suspend disbelief, then to focus to hard about an actors genetics.

Imposing book Lan, comes down to how he looks at people, not his physical stature.

A lot of Fan Art cast Aragorn as Lan.

image.png

Interesting fact, Viggo Mortensen is only 5'-11". Daniel Henney is 6'-2". That makes him easily a handwidth taller than Viggo.

This is a picture of Daniel next to Hugh Jackman back in 2010. (Supposedly Hugh is 6'-3")
henney jackman 2.jpg

Thanks for the details. I think I just notice Jordan has specific descriptions for different people of different nations. I am not one of those “Egwene is white!!” people. I just think of Edmond’s Field folk as having a similar look, namely because Rand stands out. 

also, I haven’t seen any screen test photos so it may all be different than just seeing their IMDb profile pics.

A 6’2” actor should be fine for Lan. Thanks. And I bet he bulked up. Not worried now.

finally, I am all for the “changes” that seem to be made. I think the cast “looks” great and am excited to see the interpretation.

5 minutes ago, jaimecito said:

Thanks for the details. I think I just notice Jordan has specific descriptions for different people of different nations. I am not one of those “Egwene is white!!” people. I just think of Edmond’s Field folk as having a similar look, namely because Rand stands out. 

Rand would stand out pretty much anywhere in "randland" as he's basically described as the only 6'-6" Ginger for a thousand miles in any direction. ? 

11 minutes ago, jaimecito said:

also, I haven’t seen any screen test photos so it may all be different than just seeing their IMDb profile pics.

This is one of the few photos we have of the main cast, in the same area under the same lighting.
Sounds like we won't see this key Wheel of Time character until season 2

12 minutes ago, jaimecito said:

A 6’2” actor should be fine for Lan. Thanks. And I bet he bulked up. Not worried now.

One of the biggest complaints about casting Marcus was his lack of "bulk". I believe it's been stated most of the cast (Not you Barny) has underwent the "Marvel" Diet/Exercise regiment, and will probably continue to "Bulk Up" as the series progresses. 

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

is mat the guy on the left? he looks much more like the other emond fielders now. they look homogeneous, except rand standing out. looks perfect to me.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, Harldin said:

Personally i want people who can act there Backside off in the role far more, then, that they fit the description perfectly compared to the Books. 

in principle I absolutely agree with you. Had I cast the roles based on how I pictured them after reading, I don’t think any of them would have been chosen. But here’s what’s great…it wasn’t me. It was someone who knows great young talent in the field!! I am with you…as long as they bring these characters to life I don’t care if they look exactly like their descriptions. I am just excited to see how they do the series.

2 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

is mat the guy on the left? he looks much more like the other emond fielders now. they look homogeneous, except rand standing out. looks perfect to me.

It Is indeed.

Left to right

Mat, Egwene, Nyneave, Perrin, Moiraine, Rand, Lan.

Steve took the picture.

Guest Wolfbrother31

I agree. Jordan was very specific about a lot of things but as for the TV adaptation...I would prioritize good acting, a well written story, non-cheesy CGI, stuff like that over - "looks just exactly as Jordan wrote it" - but within reason. 

Rand's got to be a ginger that stands out. So so far, I'm completely pleased with the casting. 

But I think S2 casting - I'm really curious about - because I think they'll be casting the Trakands, maybe Aviendha ... Lanfear, Berelain, Faile ... I want them to get quality actresses - and beauty! LoL

3 hours ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

I agree. Jordan was very specific about a lot of things but as for the TV adaptation...I would prioritize good acting, a well written story, non-cheesy CGI, stuff like that over - "looks just exactly as Jordan wrote it" - but within reason. 

Rand's got to be a ginger that stands out. So so far, I'm completely pleased with the casting. 

But I think S2 casting - I'm really curious about - because I think they'll be casting the Trakands, maybe Aviendha ... Lanfear, Berelain, Faile ... I want them to get quality actresses - and beauty! LoL

I see the chances of casting as.
Younger Trakands 99%, Lanfear,Faile 80-90%, Be’lal*, Ishamael 70-80%, Aviendha, Rahvin* 20-30%, Morgase, Bryn, Barelain 5-10%

*One or the other but not both, either Be’lal will be killed as per the Books or it will be Rahvin ruling both Tear and Andor and defeated in Tear, retreats to Andor. I really like this Plotline, with Travelling a Forsaken could pull it off easily.

Aviendha has only a short Cameo in TDR and i think Barelain is only about a 70% chance of being in the series full stop 

Side note....The wife and I started the new Robinson space series last night.  Somehow Judy turned out black.  Now if you want to cast a whole family of black Robinsons do that.  Cast one of the parents as black so it makes some sense.

Oh and we couldn't even finish the 1st episode after how watching it.  The planet they crashed on was cold, ice.  The water froze so fast that a person couldn't swim up to get out, froze in solid.  Not from top down.  Then they're still walking around with no head coverings.  Lame

49 minutes ago, rowdie said:

Side note....The wife and I started the new Robinson space series last night.  Somehow Judy turned out black.  Now if you want to cast a whole family of black Robinsons do that.  Cast one of the parents as black so it makes some sense.

Oh and we couldn't even finish the 1st episode after how watching it.  The planet they crashed on was cold, ice.  The water froze so fast that a person couldn't swim up to get out, froze in solid.  Not from top down.  Then they're still walking around with no head coverings.  Lame

Judy is adopted in the new show, so not the Biological Daughter of either of them. And Taylor Russell has a Black Father and White Mother so yes Judy could have been the Biological Daughter of Maureen.

It took me about 2 minutes of research on the net to get the above information. Maybe before attacking a casting some research might be in order. 
Personally I don’t mind the new Lost in Space, loved the original as a kid but cringe when i think about it now.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, for the most part, I’m not that thrilled by the cast. Call me crazy but most of these actors I look at them and I think of the very vivid descriptions in the novels I think most of these folks look nothing like the characters were described in the books. I know it is an adaptation but, for me, that’s some thing that I just find it difficult to get past. I will still watch the show, though and at least give it a try.

• 1 month later...

Well. The actor they cast as Rand is (half) Dutch. We are everywhere. I am putting (half) between brackets because you really can't be half-something, and certainly based on a nationality it is meaningless.  ... Nevertheless: Dutch, right there. My pride in that is meaningless. ?

I can't really say much until I see them acting like their characters. And then it all has to fit in with the tv-world building, how they make things feel real. I am not up for watching a model-contest or pretty people prancing.

I too am of the opinion that while they SHOULD try to find actors and actresses who are both good at acting and also look like their page based counterpart if I am forced to choose between good solid acting and appearance vs the book - I will pick acting every single time. 

The only casting that really bothers me is Min. As i've said elsewhere, unless they change her character dramatically, the age gap between Kae and Josha is quite large for a show that might run for almost a decade. Reddit internet sleuthing found her to be 35-37 years old. Josha is 25-26. That 10 year gap is going to look like 20 by the end of the show. I just don't see it working very well over time, which leads me to believe that they might have nixed the romantic relationship with Rand or made it more of a fling for the early seasons.

Also, I don't have as much of an issue with Lan as others, because I think the problem comes down to his costume, not as much his body type. His baggy warder pajamas hide everything and make him look tiny. I don't think it does him any favors.

Edited by TheMountain

1 hour ago, TheMountain said:

Reddit internet sleuthing found her to be 35-37 years old. Josha is 25-26. That 10 year gap is going to look like 20 by the end of the show.

Not really. She'll probably won't even look any older at 45 then she will at 35.
Josha is more likely to look older in the next ten years.

Look at it this way.
~30 Chris Evans when he first starred as Captain America first, doesn't look drastically older compared to End Game Chris Evans now that he's ~40. (He's got a beard now. That's about it)

~25 year old Chris Evans from Fantastic 4, and ~20 year old Chris Evans from "Not another Teen Movie", look noticeably younger compared to ~30 year old Chris Evans....

And obviously, none of this is talking about the miracle of makeup.

9 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Josha is more likely to look older in the next ten years.

And that might be a good thing. Rand is in constant pressure and goes through so much nasty stuff that they should leave their mark on him. He doesn't eat and sleep enough, doesn't take care of himself etc. I always thought that he lost weight and became skinnier, reddish eyes sunk in etc. That's of course just my head canon.

22 hours ago, TheMountain said:

[...] the age gap between Kae and Josha is quite large for a show that might run for almost a decade. Reddit internet sleuthing found her to be 35-37 years old. Josha is 25-26. That 10 year gap is going to look like 20 by the end of the show. I just don't see it working very well over time, which leads me to believe that they might have nixed the romantic relationship with Rand or made it more of a fling for the early seasons.[...]

Oh yeah. Fat chance that people with 10+ years difference will stay together for oh, 20 years and counting now. I am rooting for Min now, she is my hero right now and the one representing me the most.

Yes, I am more than 10 years older than my husband and we have been together for 19 and a half years now. Go figure. So unrealistic that I would be together with him for more than a decade. Maybe I should file for divorce ... ? (Kidding, I know it is not that common this way around. However, do ask yourself if this would be exactly the same problem if it was the other way around. ? )

On 9/16/2021 at 3:27 AM, CaddySedai said:

I too am of the opinion that while they SHOULD try to find actors and actresses who are both good at acting and also look like their page based counterpart if I am forced to choose between good solid acting and appearance vs the book - I will pick acting every single time. 

Totally agree, and I think Rosamund Pike as Moiraine epitomises this. We haven't seen her properly acting in this role yet, and she looks nothing like Moiraine (or even a Cairhienin), but does anyone have any doubts she will be anything but the perfect Moiraine? ??

I'm just really hoping everyone else can ACT. ?