DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Has anyone considered the possibility of spin-offs?

Celbabs

First post so forgive me if this has been brought up. I did a search but haven't had time to read through everything on the board yet. Long time reader of the series. 

I'm hoping beyond hope that this will do well as a TV series, obviously. So....thinking BIG...they could very easily give certain characters their own spin-offs after the first 5 or 6 years. Matt is on his own for a long time - could have his own series for one or two seasons before re-joining the main series at the end. Same thing for Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve. Even Perrin ends up with his own cast of characters for a time. The "group" all split off into two or three smaller groups and could carry probably at least 3 different series? Then they all merge back into one for the finale.

• 1 month later...

If the show's a success, there's much that could be done, especially with 4th Age stuff. Personally, I don't know if AOL stuff would just because we all know the ending and everyone dies. I wouldn't mind seeing stuff the trolloc wars and the 10 nations and especially Mordeth. Also, there's no more material so whatever story you want can be invented.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Harldin said:

Any Spinoff would have to get Ok’d by Harriet and considering she won’t allow any more Books written, I wouldn’t give any chances of a Spinoff happening much hope.

Depends on how successful the show is. The lure of the almighty dollar may change her mind...

31 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Depends on how successful the show is. The lure of the almighty dollar may change her mind...

I doubt Harriet would have to many money worries and she has publicly said she would not allow any more Books to be written. 
In public Harriet has said she is very protective of RJs legacy and this is why i have very high hopes for this show not deviating from the Books to far. I suspect that Harriet has retained a fair bit of creative control over the shows content

The "spinoffs" I'd be most interested in would be a good crpg, a good ttrpg, a Total War: The Last Battle game, a total-conversion mod of the new Bannerlord game, and an open-world, survival-crafting, multiplayer PvP game set in the Breaking.  Something like a total-conversion mod of Project: Zomboid, once they have functional NPCs in it, would do.

16 hours ago, Thrasymachus said:

The "spinoffs" I'd be most interested in would be a good crpg, a good ttrpg, a Total War: The Last Battle game, a total-conversion mod of the new Bannerlord game, and an open-world, survival-crafting, multiplayer PvP game set in the Breaking.  Something like a total-conversion mod of Project: Zomboid, once they have functional NPCs in it, would do.

I'll second that all day long.

• Community Administrator
9 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I'll second that all day long.

I'm "kinda" working on a Homebrew TTRPG that's a mix between D&D 5E and Pathfinder 2E, playing around with how on earth to make channeling work in a TTRPG system that is both deadly as all hell, but not entirely skewed to the point that everyone is going to play a channeler. 

I imagine it really depends on how you scale up advancement and what the other options are, and how much class hybridization you'll allow.  If it takes a long time to get a channeller to the point where she's OP, and you make sure to keep them glass cannons or glass support, it shouldn't be too bad.  Really gotta rein in the ability to improvise with the Power, though.  Or really lean into making improvisation dangerous/deadly.

• Community Administrator
On 8/20/2020 at 8:36 PM, Thrasymachus said:

I imagine it really depends on how you scale up advancement and what the other options are, and how much class hybridization you'll allow.  If it takes a long time to get a channeller to the point where she's OP, and you make sure to keep them glass cannons or glass support, it shouldn't be too bad.  Really gotta rein in the ability to improvise with the Power, though.  Or really lean into making improvisation dangerous/deadly.

Yeah, there's a fine line between making it so OP, that who would play anything but one?

On the other hand, I've got plans to incorporate a focus/concentration system that someone going "gleeman", could "distract" even an Ass Sedai while channeling.

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 1:04 AM, Elder_Haman said:

I agree with Harldin. Harriet already said she won't allow more books to be written.This includes a TV spinoffs.She wants to keep the legacy of Jordan.She doesn't want to expand the universe.For the last 3 books Sanderson became the face but that was that.We won't see more of that.Just look at LOTR.Do you see anything new written?Ofcourse not.Everything new published has already been existing in some form.The same can't be said for WoT.There isn't any new material to be used and Harriet will not allow new authors to write anything else.

Harriet's not gonna live forever.  And I don't believe they have any family to pass their IP on to, the way Tolkien did.  That IP will eventually either pass into the public domain, or be bought by a media company, who will be trying to expand the market and franchise for it.  Honestly, the best thing would probably be for it to go public if the idea is to preserve Jordan's legacy.  Sure, there'll be a proliferation of bad fan works, and a few of the bigger indie studios might try to make an animated series or a few games.  And some of that stuff will even be good.  But there won't be any major spin-offs or expansions unless Amazon's series does really well and they want to do it.  The third alternative would be to sell the IP to Sanderson specifically, or to a trust managed by a board of prominent long-time WoT fan members/employees like Terez and Maria (and probably Sanderson too).  But that's really just kinda kicking the can down the road.

Personally, I'd be satisfied if they'd just get on the ball with some good games, ttrpgs and some computer rpgs, strategy games and the like.  Outrigger novels would be nice if they could be good, but I'm skeptical of that, and I reckon the best way to preserve Jordan's legacy is to let the franchise expand into non-written formats.

9 hours ago, Captainwilhelm96 said:

It should be noted that the LotR show was only announced a few months or so after Christopher Tolkien stepped down as head of the Tolkien estate and that the show probably wouldn't exist without that regime change.

Even then there are a lot of restrictions on what they can and can’t do, must be set before the 3rd Age, so no Gandalf, no Hobbits

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 2:44 PM, Harldin said:

Any Spinoff would have to get Ok’d by Harriet and considering she won’t allow any more Books written, I wouldn’t give any chances of a Spinoff happening much hope.

Yes, I'm also skeptical. You'll have to the same as the book readers and imagine them in your mind.