DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

a NEW Casting Thread (let's keep it nice)

imlad

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 10:54 AM, Elder_Haman said:

And what about Natalie Dormer for Selene/Lanfear?

I love that. She has that kind of evil beauty about here, and the only worry is that she'll think it's too similar to her GoT character. 

There are some characters I kind of want an unknown for, which is a gigantic risk for the story but hopefully turns out to be worth it. Min is definitely one of those cases. I remember first reading the books and just completely overlooking her significance to the future of the story, which fits well with her character. Probably too risky to do. The lazy answer for Min would be another GoT actress, Maisie Williams, but I'd kind of like seeing Kelly Marie Tran, the lady that plays Rose Tico in Star Wars, if that experience has not traumatized her into retirement. 

Also, I think Hailee Steinfeld for Faile might work.

On 7/24/2020 at 1:43 PM, Sammuel said:

The lazy answer for Min would be another GoT actress, Maisie Williams, but I'd kind of like seeing Kelly Marie Tran, the lady that plays Rose Tico in Star Wars, if that experience has not traumatized her into retirement. 

I like Cara Delevingne for Min. But probably won't happen if she's still committed to Carnival Row.

Cara Delevingne needs to never act. She's a gorgeous model who unfortunately is also a poster child for models who can't act. Watching her on Carnival Row was a struggle, and I thought I'd built up tolerance to bad acting having watched my fair share of CW shows.

Looking at the body of work of the many actors playing lead roles on the show, I'm glad the producers are picking some truly wonderful talent. Rosamund goes without saying, but Marcus, Josha, Maddie, Alannah, Liandrin, Danya, Hammad, Johann, Alvaro... are all a joy to watch in the previous projects they've been attached to. 

6 minutes ago, Carebear Sedai said:

Cara Delevingne needs to never act. She's a gorgeous model who unfortunately is also a poster child for models who can't act. Watching her on Carnival Row was a struggle, and I thought I'd built up tolerance to bad acting having watched my fair share of CW shows.

Looking at the body of work of the many actors playing lead roles on the show, I'm glad the producers are picking some truly wonderful talent. Rosamund goes without saying, but Marcus, Josha, Maddie, Alannah, Liandrin, Danya, Hammad, Johann, Alvaro... are all a joy to watch in the previous projects they've been attached to. 

Huh. I kinda liked her in Carnival Row. 

Are they going all Harry Potter with the casting and not bringing in any American actors? I decided I really want to see Zooey Deschanel as Lanfear. It would be someone who is beautiful, but doesn't scream evil with her presence so that makes the character that much more fascinating. 

14 minutes ago, Dovie'andi se tovya sagain said:

I like that idea, I also think Kathy Bates would be a great Verin.Kathy_Bates_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

This would be perfect if Verin looked her age. Maybe some deaging effect that doesn't look creepy will be in order. 

6 hours ago, Dovie'andi se tovya sagain said:

I like that idea, I also think Kathy Bates would be a great Verin.Kathy_Bates_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

I love Kathy Bates, but I do think she might be a little old for the role.

If you haven’t seen Margo Martindale’s work, check her out in “Sneaky Pete” or “Justified”. 

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Thrasymachus said:

Kathy Bates seems more to me a Cadsuane than a Verin.  

What about one of the sisters in book 2? That Moiraine goes and visits?

Also I imagine this as Cadsuane:
Dolores Umbridge #HarryPotter | Kitap

Edited by SinisterDeath

3 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Honestly, I can't see this face and not think Elaida. 

How we feel about Tilda Swinton as Cadsuane? 

So this could be /  likely totally is my interpretation of the story. That said, I always envisioned the Aes Sedai generally gaining the shall in their early 20’s. Thus, the ageless face hitting in the mid 20’s. Thus most, Aes Sedai looking in their mid to late 20’s only aging in their hair over a long time... maybe? 

I know that the story will be different for TV. But it would be odd to see the bird like Varin  as an older woman... 

6 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Honestly, no.  Cadsuane is tough as nails.  This lady here is great at portraying a cloyingly sweet veneer wrapped around a snake, but in both of the roles I've seen her in (Harry Potter and Downton Abbey), she's never been "tough," or commanding.  I'm sure she's got more range than that, though.  I honestly can't think of a good analog for Dolores Umbridge in the WoT series, though.  Certainly not Cadsuane.

1 hour ago, Thrasymachus said:

Honestly, no.  Cadsuane is tough as nails ...  I honestly can't think of a good analog for Dolores Umbridge in the WoT series, though.  Certainly not Cadsuane.

Right on. Cadsuane is in your face, brutal and honest. Sort of the opposite of Umbridge. Kathy Bates has the right vibe. If I’m dreaming way too big, Meryl Streep. 

10 hours ago, Thrasymachus said:

Honestly, no.  Cadsuane is tough as nails.  This lady here is great at portraying a cloyingly sweet veneer wrapped around a snake, but in both of the roles I've seen her in (Harry Potter and Downton Abbey), she's never been "tough," or commanding.  I'm sure she's got more range than that, though.  I honestly can't think of a good analog for Dolores Umbridge in the WoT series, though.  Certainly not Cadsuane.

My thought is when you see her, you initially hate her, with her snooty attitude towards Rand. 
That actor can do all of that, just by seeing her the first time.
The fun part is seeing people squirm when they begin to like the character.

Looks wise, she's not far off from descriptions. Both her and Kathy Bates have similarities. They're both short, they're both "More stout than slim".

13 hours ago, Sammuel said:

Honestly, I can't see this face and not think Elaida. 

She's waaaay to old to play Elaida.

13 hours ago, Sammuel said:

How we feel about Tilda Swinton as Cadsuane? 

She's way to skinny to play Cads?

What about... Semirhage? I know she's far to pale from the book descriptions, but if we go by acting ability, I think she's be great at playing someone who went from the Best Healer ever to a cruel sadistic person. :wink:

8 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

Right on. Cadsuane is in your face, brutal and honest. Sort of the opposite of Umbridge. Kathy Bates has the right vibe. If I’m dreaming way too big, Meryl Streep. 

*Shrugs*
When I read Cadsuane, and I admit I need to get caught back up in a re-read where we meet her again, but I recalled her being "In your face, brutally honest", with either a snooty smile on her face, or a completely emotionless face, staring you in the eye.
Kathy Bates always seems to come off as angry while being brutally honest to your face.

"Umbridge" or rather Imelda Staunton. may be capable of telling that harsh truth, either with a smile or a stone face.
If she summoned her Umbridge, I'm pretty sure she could say sweet little old lady words, while stabbing you in the gut.

I thought about her as Semirhage for a minute, in spite of the fact that Semi's definitely described as very black.  Hers is about the closest personality for an "Umbridge" that I could think of.  The thing is, it's not even a good fit there.  Semi's cold and uncaring.  Both are sadistic, and delight in causing pain and suffering, but Umbridge has that cloyingly sweet veneer that projects an attitude that the suffering she's causing you is really your own fault, and for your own good. 

Semirhage dgaf.  She inflicts pain for her own enjoyment, not because her victim deserves it or out of any sort of fiction that her victim will be benefited by it.  Umbridge is sadistic and evil in a very self-deluded, entertaining but mundanely human way.  We've all known an Umbridge at some point in our lives.  Semirhage is self-aware in her sadism and and evil, in a horrifying way that transcends mundane human evil.  That kind of evil is rare, most people only encounter anything like it via documentaries and docu-dramas about serial killers.

As far as older Aes Sedai, like Verin, Cadsuane, maybe some others, I think they'll drop the Ageless look, especially as those two are both described as looking old. Also, you have the Wise Ones, Kin and others who are channelers and more or less look their ages. Moraine, Suiane, Eliada and others will probably have some form of ageless look.

11 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

I thought about her as Semirhage for a minute, in spite of the fact that Semi's definitely described as very black.  Hers is about the closest personality for an "Umbridge" that I could think of.  The thing is, it's not even a good fit there.  Semi's cold and uncaring.  Both are sadistic, and delight in causing pain and suffering, but Umbridge has that cloyingly sweet veneer that projects an attitude that the suffering she's causing you is really your own fault, and for your own good. 

Semirhage dgaf.  She inflicts pain for her own enjoyment, not because her victim deserves it or out of any sort of fiction that her victim will be benefited by it.  Umbridge is sadistic and evil in a very self-deluded, entertaining but mundanely human way.  We've all known an Umbridge at some point in our lives.  Semirhage is self-aware in her sadism and and evil, in a horrifying way that transcends mundane human evil.  That kind of evil is rare, most people only encounter anything like it via documentaries and docu-dramas about serial killers.

I think the comment was that Tilda Swinton should play Semirhage. That would be a home run. She can certainly portray that sadism.

3 minutes ago, mistborn82 said:

As far as older Aes Sedai, like Verin, Cadsuane, maybe some others, I think they'll drop the Ageless look, especially as those two are both described as looking old. Also, you have the Wise Ones, Kin and others who are channelers and more or less look their ages. Moraine, Suiane, Eliada and others will probably have some form of ageless look.

I don't think they will drop it. I imagine it being some sort of Instagram filter type of visual cue that won't be hard to apply, but won't really change the actor's face all that much.

8 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I think the comment was that Tilda Swinton should play Semirhage. That would be a home run. She can certainly portray that sadism.

Yea it was about Tilda Swinton.
Like, she would be a totally perfect casting for Semirhage, despite not having the complexion described in the books. And I'm fine with that. :wink: