DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

a NEW Casting Thread (let's keep it nice)

imlad

I looked for a newer casting thread to have replaced the one that got locked for, well, let's just leave it at that. If there already is another thread going I'm sure an admin type will move this there (and thanks on ya for that, mate!).

I just have to get these three ideas out of my head before it explodes. I know for two of them it is probably too late (and one of the actors is probably too tied up with another show), but I just have this driving need to get this out of my head.

So here goes:

For Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan: Ruth Wilson (currently starring in His Dark Materials so is probably not available, I presume, but burn me if she isn't born to play Elaida. As I have said in many places online, this woman scares the freaking piss outta me, and has done since I first saw her on Luther years ago. She's bloody brilliant).

For Padan Fain: Robert Carlyle (looks like he too is tied up, but I know nothing about that show at all. I've seen Carlyle in a bunch of things, and he has always impressed, and was probably the only good part of Once Upon A Time which I only managed to get through the first season of. Bonus: he has Fain's nose, all without prosthetics. And he can definitely do refined and friendly as well as uber-creepy, both of which are necessary for Fain/Mordeth-Fain).

For Valan Luca: Bruce Campbell (Okay, yes, I know what many of you are thinking, that I have lost my bloody mind here, that this is crazy. But just stop and think about this. First, I think his looks kinda match up, although Campbell has bulked up a bit with age. And age is not something the books actually peg down for Luca if I recall correctly. And Luca is always a little over the top, a bit showy and corny. And that's definitely something Campbell can do. I'm not looking for what Bruce did in his youth, but more akin to what he was like on Burn Notice with a touch of his earlier Campbell years mixed in. This is actually one of my oldest casting notions, something I've thought since Luca was first introduced, and how I always pictured him when reading the books. And as someone who actually worked for -- and technically performed in -- a circus*, I really want Luca's circus to remain in the show if they ever get that far).

So, I'm open to thoughts on these casting ideas, and hope people put forward there own. I'm not trying to get a debate started on casting that has already happened, that's done and gone and has resulted in a locked thread, so lets leave that s??t in the past, mkay? ? 

Edited by imlad
* yes, you read that right. My sig line even mentions it

On 11/28/2019 at 11:43 PM, mistborn82 said:

Valan might be dropped completely I think but Eliada will be more important.

Gods I hope not. One of my favorite storylines was the whole traveling circus, for reasons made apparent in the above posting. That's a unique thing to WoT, something I don't know of any other F/SF author using. At least, I've never come acrossed it in my reading, nor heard of it being done in another book/series* from anyone I've talked to in person or online. I think it adds some great flavor and color to the story, and actually becomes rather important later on for Mat and Tuon, so introducing and utilising it when it is supposed to be is important to the overall story in my opinion. 

* in the genre

Edited by imlad

I am excited to see the show, but I must say I am not excited on some of the casting. Rosamund Pike will be interesting as Moiraine, but isn't she too tall? I always pictured her as a diminutive woman. I will give the show a chance, but if the casting doesn't work the show will bomb. I may have missed it in my reading. Is there any idea when it will air?

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Sabio said:

Moiraine is, 5'2. large dark eyes, fair skin, and dark hair.  Rosamund Pike is 5'9.

I am really curious how the series is going to go if they have already casted Logain.

Frodo Baggins was around 3 to 4 feet tall.
Elijah Wood is only 5'-6" tall.

Aragorn is 6'-6".
Vigo Mortensen is only 5'-11".

Edited by SinisterDeath

On 11/28/2019 at 9:29 PM, imlad said:

I'm not trying to get a debate started on casting that has already happened, that's done and gone and has resulted in a locked thread, so lets leave that s??t in the past, mkay? ? 

Did you read that line? I really didn't want us to rehash previous casting announcements, that's not the purpose of this thread. The purpose of this thread is to spitball ideas for future casting ideas. Like, who do you want to play what characters? Not what you think of who has already been cast as what characters. That can be done in some other thread, thank you.

7 hours ago, perrinooo said:

I am excited to see the show, but I must say I am not excited on some of the casting. Rosamund Pike will be interesting as Moiraine, but isn't she too tall? I always pictured her as a diminutive woman. I will give the show a chance, but if the casting doesn't work the show will bomb. I may have missed it in my reading. Is there any idea when it will air?

That's for another thread. But I just want to say this: someone's height, dwarfism and gigantism aside, does not define a character. Jordan had a fetish for extremely tall characters amongst men and an equally strong fetish for short characters amongst women. The show has no need to stick to such extremes. We really don't need half a dozen women running around at 5 feet tall and half a hundred men at 6'6" tall.

Edited by imlad

6 hours ago, imlad said:

Did you read that line? I really didn't want us to rehash previous casting announcements, that's not the purpose of this thread. The purpose of this thread is to spitball ideas for future casting ideas. Like, who do you want to play what characters? Not what you think of who has already been cast as what characters. That can be done in some other thread, thank you.

That's for another thread. But I just want to say this: someone's height, dwarfism and gigantism aside, does not define a character. Jordan had a fetish for extremely tall characters amongst men and an equally strong fetish for short characters amongst women. The show has no need to stick to such extremes. We really don't need half a dozen women running around at 5 feet tall and half a hundred men at 6'6" tall.

True but you should stay sort of true, I mean you could cast the Rock for Mat but should you?  Moriaines homeland are all sort of short anyway, so you could cast some 5'5. 5'6 and you wouldn't notice.

LOL, you folks are touchy... and kind of nasty. Don't like someone disagreeing with your opinions? That is fine. I knew I would get some angst on my comments.

When it comes to movies/tv shows made from books, I like to stay with what made me love them in the first place. I am sorry if that bothers some here, but my opinion is just as valid as any other.

And, I beg to differ that the way a character looks does not define a character. Moiraine was special because, despite her diminutive size, she was tough and courageous, a warrior. It matters.

I will ponder who I would choose to play parts. If I post them, I wonder who will agree.

Edited by perrinooo

Ok, you saw my suggestion for Moiraine above - Emma Watson.

Here are my comments on the rest of the cast:

Rand - not sure if Josha Stradowski is the right fit, at least not by the photo shown on the cast page. But, he is promising. One promising replace may be Nicholas Hoult. He is 30, but may be able to pull it off.

For Egwene I suggest Lilly Collins.

I like the choice for Mat.

For Nynaeve I suggest Zoey Deutch.

For Perrin, Ross Butler or Mathew Dadario. 

I am good with Lan, Tam, Padain Fain, and Logain.

For Loial I would choose Robert Maillet.

nicholas hoult.jpg

lilly collins.jpg

zoey deutch.jpg

ross butler perrin 1.jpg

matthew dadario perrin2.jpg

loial.jpg

Well, clearly people can't follow simple rules.  I don't know why not sharpshooting existing casting is so hard to do...you just don't post.  You want to complain about announced casting, do it in the announced casting threads.  You want to suggest alternate casting to the announced casting, either do it in the announced casting threads or write your own blog or create your own thread.  Hijacking a thread in blatant defiance of what the OP has asked his thread to be about is about as low as one can get in an online forum, and if I were part of the moderator team, it would be worth of at least a temp ban.

Like I said in my first post... nasty. I went to a thread that said it was designed for casting ideas and it was closed to comments. The first post here seemed to me to be about suggesting alternative casting ideas. That is why I came back to it. But, if you folks are so narrow-minded about a newbie to the site that is just trying to figure out his way around so be it.

How is my post any different from the first one? Quit being a snowflake, so easily offended. Are you perhaps angry because I don't agree with the show's creators?

If this is the quality of interaction I will continue to get I don't want to be a part of this site. I am not a lemming.

If you want to ban me, then do so.

My life is about more than this tv show. I will see the show when it comes out, regardless of whether I can access this site. The show will succeed or fail based upon its merits, regardless of whether I can access this site.

Go bully someone else.

Edited by perrinooo

4 hours ago, perrinooo said:

How is my post any different from the first one? Quit being a snowflake, so easily offended. Are you perhaps angry because I don't agree with the show's creators?

First off, if you look at the date, it was created BEFORE Padan Fain had been Officially cast.  Now as to tone, yes some people's tone can be misconstrued in a text format, w/you as well sir.  Please read before you post.  No need for name-calling.  

IMHO, I do not mind people's opinion whether they agree or disagree w/ me. I do mind when people name call or do not read rules.  As a teacher it is one of my pet peeves.  So please keep that in mind ? BTW Welcome to the site ? 

• 1 month later...

Imma just gonna pretend all that didn't happen.

okay, so there was the recent casting announcement, and included in that was Maria Doyle Kennedy, who it just so happens I had picked last year for a certain role, and posted in that old, locked thread for that role. That role is Elaida (yes, I know, I've been pushing for Ruth Wilson, but that hit me when I saw her on His Dark Materials and recalled her on Luther). You can check out that page here, where the relevant post is the 20th down.

Now they haven't said she is playing Elaida, I admit that. But, Elaida has not been cast. She is a major role in the series. Kennedy is a fairly significant actor, with some hefty experience under her belt. Kennedy is very solid and talented actor (unless she herself prefers actress, one never knows these days), and only enhances the talent of a cast. As far as I'm concerned, next to Pike, she's the most famous person on the cast (for me she's the actually the only one I've watched before, but I was vaguely aware of a few others). Anyone on this forum that has not seen Orphan Black yet, stop right now go start watching it immediately. That entire series and cast is a masterclass in writer and often directing. And not just from Emmy winner Tatiana Maslany, but from almost the entire cast.

So yeah, my level of excitement just inceased (though still fairly controlled). And it will go even higher if they announce that she is indeed Elaida. She's the only person other than Wilson I'd be happy with. I loved her as Mrs S, and as Catharine of Aragon, but I'd love to hate her as Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan.

I'm just over the secretiveness and dribblets Just tell us already. And what about that the secret is about to be revealed 10 hours ago and then nothing... if you were announced as being in the show yesterday then this morning hint it's about to be revealed then poof. Nothing. The level of secrecy for the production is rediculous. So many fans seem so eager to squee over the most infinitesimal crumbs... I'm like why the necessity for the mystery? I mean the fans waited how long for the final book??? So long the author died before finishing it and a ghost writer took over. We've waited so long for this to be adapted to screen, and after the Winter Dragon Farce don't we deserve some solid tangible meaty details? How many people are STILL Hyperventilating over if certain characters will be cut? Put them out of their misery and release the full cast list for season 1. I promise all us nerds will still keep the excitement and momentum going.  

Guest redgiant

Jennifer Cheon Garcia Warn is Leane Sharif.

And I will say that she definitely looks the part as a svelte Domani.

Edited by redgiant

On 11/28/2019 at 6:29 PM, imlad said:

I looked for a newer casting thread to have replaced the one that got locked for, well, let's just leave it at that. If there already is another thread going I'm sure an admin type will move this there (and thanks on ya for that, mate!).

I just have to get these three ideas out of my head before it explodes. I know for two of them it is probably too late (and one of the actors is probably too tied up with another show), but I just have this driving need to get this out of my head.

So here goes:

For Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan: Ruth Wilson (currently starring in His Dark Materials so is probably not available, I presume, but burn me if she isn't born to play Elaida. As I have said in many places online, this woman scares the freaking piss outta me, and has done since I first saw her on Luther years ago. She's bloody brilliant).

For Padan Fain: Robert Carlyle (looks like he too is tied up, but I know nothing about that show at all. I've seen Carlyle in a bunch of things, and he has always impressed, and was probably the only good part of Once Upon A Time which I only managed to get through the first season of. Bonus: he has Fain's nose, all without prosthetics. And he can definitely do refined and friendly as well as uber-creepy, both of which are necessary for Fain/Mordeth-Fain).

For Valan Luca: Bruce Campbell (Okay, yes, I know what many of you are thinking, that I have lost my bloody mind here, that this is crazy. But just stop and think about this. First, I think his looks kinda match up, although Campbell has bulked up a bit with age. And age is not something the books actually peg down for Luca if I recall correctly. And Luca is always a little over the top, a bit showy and corny. And that's definitely something Campbell can do. I'm not looking for what Bruce did in his youth, but more akin to what he was like on Burn Notice with a touch of his earlier Campbell years mixed in. This is actually one of my oldest casting notions, something I've thought since Luca was first introduced, and how I always pictured him when reading the books. And as someone who actually worked for -- and technically performed in -- a circus*, I really want Luca's circus to remain in the show if they ever get that far).

So, I'm open to thoughts on these casting ideas, and hope people put forward there own. I'm not trying to get a debate started on casting that has already happened, that's done and gone and has resulted in a locked thread, so lets leave that s??t in the past, mkay? ? 

Sorry, just don't see the Valan Luca/Bruce Cambell..

Bruce Campbell for Uno Nomesta however... That would be magic.

Guest redgiant

I will say Ruth Wilson is wonderful as a clever, witty, dangerous baddie in Luther.

I thought she would play a Liandrin or Elaida very well.

• 1 month later...

A casting idea that has just occurred to me (while watching The Magicians) that I wish could happen, but probably can't (since she's involved in the above show, assuming she doesn't exit at the end of this current season) is Stella Maeve for Faile. And to forestall anyone potentially saying she's "too white" and that this would be "whitewashing" the role (this is the internet, that kinda stuff happens), she's Native American, Blackfoot and Cherokee to be specific. And I know her age, but she looks and plays younger than that quite readily.

Pipe dream, I know.

[Note: The imdb pic does not do her justice at all! It's probably the worst pic I've seen of her]

Edited by imlad
add Note