DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

a NEW Casting Thread (let's keep it nice)

imlad

43 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

You don't think Tilda Swinton would be a better Verin?  Florence Kasumba looks more like Semirhage to me, and Semi's only got a handful of scenes in the whole series, so an actor like Swinton playing her would be unnecessary for her, and mostly a gimmick.

Not at all. I picture Verin as very dowdy and matronly.  Someone who isn't particularly remarkable looking. Tilda is kind of the opposite of that. She's a little odd looking - almost otherworldly. And there's nothing matronly about her.

I'm not familiar enough with Florence Kasumba's work - outside of the Marvel context to know whether she would be a good choice for Semirhage. She certainly matches the physical description though.

1 hour ago, Elder_Haman said:

Not at all. I picture Verin as very dowdy and matronly.  Someone who isn't particularly remarkable looking. Tilda is kind of the opposite of that. She's a little odd looking - almost otherworldly. And there's nothing matronly about her.

I'm not familiar enough with Florence Kasumba's work - outside of the Marvel context to know whether she would be a good choice for Semirhage. She certainly matches the physical description though.

Huh.  She nails that "bird-like" quality, though.  And she can certainly do motherly, and absent-minded, and mysterious, and uncannily sharp.

I don't think Semirhage needs an actor with a broad range, though.  She just needs to look imposing, have an uncaring affectation, and only show any sign of pleasure when causing someone else pain.  She's a very one-dimensional villain, who's disposed of pretty quickly.

• Community Administrator
3 hours ago, Thrasymachus said:

You don't think Tilda Swinton would be a better Verin?  Florence Kasumba looks more like Semirhage to me, and Semi's only got a handful of scenes in the whole series, so an actor like Swinton playing her would be unnecessary for her, and mostly a gimmick.

Well, as you said, she's only got a handful of scenes. So you can spend big $$ without blowing your whole budget casting a singled actor for an entire season. It's also entirely plausible by the time we get to the season where Semirhage comes into play, that Florence could cost just as much as Tilda.

Agreed!
I could actually see someone like Miranda Hart from call the Midwife as Verin.

1 hour ago, Thrasymachus said:

Huh.  She nails that "bird-like" quality, though.  And she can certainly do motherly, and absent-minded, and mysterious, and uncannily sharp.

I don't think Semirhage needs an actor with a broad range, though.  She just needs to look imposing, have an uncaring affectation, and only show any sign of pleasure when causing someone else pain.  She's a very one-dimensional villain, who's disposed of pretty quickly.

Verin Bird like? I dunno about that. Casting Tilda as Verin might make the reveal to obvious.

And you have to admit, Tilda can look really imposing
Tilda Swinton in Talks to Play The Ancient One in Marvel's 'Doctor ...

• Community Administrator
8 hours ago, Rand520 said:

Apologies if this has been discussed, what do you think of Henry Cavill for Moridin? Bonus points, he's a WOT fan.

Not a horrible choice.
I could even see Rhavin.

Buuuut, he might be too busy between Witcher & future DC movies.

I'd say he's too old, as well.  Moridin should be of the same age as Rand, more or less.  But not decades older, that would make the body-swap weird, and raise even more questions about Rand's status at the end of the series, if we get that far.   

Rhavin would be a decent choice.  It helps that he'd really only need to appear once.  We can first see him when he's Compelling Morgase before she breaks free, and in that same episode's climax could be the fight scene between him, Rand and Nynaeve/Moghedien.  Bel'al could be a good choice for much the same reason, but even moreso.  We only ever see Bel'al at the fall of the Stone.  Bandersnatch Cumberbund would be a good pick for either of those as well, for the same reasons.

But I don't think he'd bail on the Witcher to take up a long-term role on WoT.  It would probably be hard to get him for just one episode, or even just one scene.  Even if he were such a fan that he'd agree to do it at the base actor's union rate, his schedule is pretty packed.  It's possible, though, much of the Witcher is filmed in Hungary and Poland, which is just a day-trip from the Czech Republic.  I dunno what Briarpatch Candybum is doing atm, except for his Marvel role, but he's likely pretty busy as well.

I dunno.  But being locked down counts as being busy.  It's not like he'd be any more available under the Covid restrictions than he'd be without them.  Probably less.

I'm a little aggrieved that there haven't been any additional casting announcements in the last couple of weeks.  Fan casting can be fun and all, but with an actual show with actual cast in the offing, it's quite a bit masturbatory.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's a pale imitation of the real thing.

I wanna see Min, Elayne, Morgase and Elaida.

On 8/3/2020 at 3:56 PM, SinisterDeath said:

What about one of the sisters in book 2? That Moiraine goes and visits?

Also I imagine this as Cadsuane:
Dolores Umbridge #HarryPotter | Kitap

I totally think Imelda Staunton needs to be in the show (even though she's gonna be starring as QEII on The Crown for the remaining seasons of that show apparently). I just think she is more Verin Mathwin material (even happens to be the exact same height as Verin). She even comes with a tad bit of "baggage" that fans of the Harry Potter movies will bring, them not knowing if they should trust her or not (I mean, Dolores Umbridge! come on! that's kinda scarring).

On 8/12/2020 at 3:43 PM, Thrasymachus said:

I could see her as Verin.  I don't think I've seen her in a role as scatterbrained and "Brown Ajah" as Verin affects, but I don't doubt that Imelda Staunton could do that.  I don't doubt she could pull off Verin's sharpness/devious cleverness either.

Well, I contend that in the case of Verin, the "scatterbrained" Brown Ajah persona was entirely an act, that she was never scatterbrained or a nutty(professor) type person in the series at all, that she never really was distracted by something "interesting" that easily. I'd say she was possibly the most observant, sharpest (as you stated), quick witted and intelligent of all the Aes Sedai we saw during the entire series. I mean, she freaking outsmarted the entire Black Ajah, the entire White Tower, and Ishamael himself. And managed to get the entire roster of who was in the Black Ajah, when nobody, and I mean nobody, but the Head of the Supreme Council knew who all the members of the Ajah were. And she figured out who Rand was pretty darn quickly in Fal Dara (although, I concede, she may have been at the DF Social as one of the Aes Sedai we saw, or someone that was better disguised, and had seen Ishy's little One Power produced multimedia display, or had been flat out told who Rand was at some other point by one of the Forsaken or another DF, or even a Fade).

That's why Verin = Badass

3 hours ago, imlad said:

Well, I contend that in the case of Verin, the "scatterbrained" Brown Ajah persona was entirely an act, that she was never scatterbrained or a nutty(professor) type person in the series at all, that she never really was distracted by something "interesting" that easily. I'd say she was possibly the most observant, sharpest (as you stated), quick witted and intelligent of all the Aes Sedai we saw during the entire series. I mean, she freaking outsmarted the entire Black Ajah, the entire White Tower, and Ishamael himself. And managed to get the entire roster of who was in the Black Ajah, when nobody, and I mean nobody, but the Head of the Supreme Council knew who all the members of the Ajah were. And she figured out who Rand was pretty darn quickly in Fal Dara (although, I concede, she may have been at the DF Social as one of the Aes Sedai we saw, or someone that was better disguised, and had seen Ishy's little One Power produced multimedia display, or had been flat out told who Rand was at some other point by one of the Forsaken or another DF, or even a Fade).

That's why Verin = Badass

I don't know that many people really disagree on that. But you have to find an actress who can portray that "scatterbrained" persona.  And what you really want is an actress who can convincingly play the scatterbrain and yet be subtle enough to hint at the fact that there's purpose to that persona without making it too obvious.

Which is why I'm rooting for Margo Martindale. Lol.

1 hour ago, mistborn82 said:

Yeah because if you don't get the appearance right, Verin won't work. In a book, you can write whatever you want but onscreen it has to be seen. Though they might change Verin much as they made Moraine taller however much I wish they didn't.

Who said they made Morraine taller? We haven’t seen a single second of film yet so how can you know? Just because Rosamund is several inches taller does not mean that is the way Morraine will be portrayed on film. Remember they have to turn 6’3 Hammed Animashaun into 10’ Loail. 

People need to stop getting so caught up in how an Actor or Actress looks in real life, the only thing we can be certain about is Skin Colour and to some degree Racial features. 

So we finally have Min and Siuan, Kae Alexander’s big epic Fantasy moment was when she played the Child of the Forrest in GOT that pushed the Dagger into the Mans chest thus creating the Whitewalkers in a flashback scene and also talked to Meera outside the 3 Eyed Ravens Home in S6.

* sorry got my Actresses mixed up its Kae Alexander playing Min of course.

Edited by Harldin
Wrong name

2 minutes ago, Harldin said:

So we finally have Min and Siuan, Kae Fleetwood’s big epic Fantasy moment was when she played the Child of the Forrest in GOT that pushed the Dagger into the Mans chest thus creating the Whitewalkers in a flashback scene and also talked to Meera outside the 3 Eyed Ravens Home in S6.

Sophie Okonedo is a great addition. Oscar nominee and excellent actress. I'm excited by both of the new castings.