DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Daniel Henney will play Lan

JenniferL

20 hours ago, Rosemary_Sedai said:

I think it's fair to go so far as say she rapes him, honestly. (something that frankly I really hope they drop from the tv series, because it was super creepy and unnecessary)

My understanding from the books is that it was necessary to save Lan from his broken bond with Moiraine. That’s why Moiraine transferred the bond to Myrelle.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Ryrin said:

My understanding from the books is that it was necessary to save Lan from his broken bond with Moiraine. That’s why Moiraine transferred the bond to Myrelle.

Well transferring the bond was necessary but in reality Lan needed Nynaeve which is why he comes back to life more when he is with her.

Incidentally did anyone read that as Lan being unfaithful?. I didn't as I viewed that there was a fair amount of compulsion involved. 

6 hours ago, Jaglover said:

Well transferring the bond was necessary but in reality Lan needed Nynaeve which is why he comes back to life more when he is with her.

Incidentally did anyone read that as Lan being unfaithful?. I didn't as I viewed that there was a fair amount of compulsion involved. 

At that time Nynaeve wasn't an Aes Sedai and accepted can't have warders. So if Moiraine had let Lan either be without the bond or sent him to Nynaeve, I think he would have just sought death. 

They don't tell much about the sex between Lan and Myrelle, so I can't really say much whether or not it was consented or not. 

12 hours ago, Jaglover said:

Nynaeve thanked Myrelle for saving Lan. To save him, she needed to have sex with him. That’s why Moiraine transferred to bond to Myrelle and not anyone else. 

1 hour ago, Ryrin said:

Nynaeve thanked Myrelle for saving Lan. To save him, she needed to have sex with him. That’s why Moiraine transferred to bond to Myrelle and not anyone else. 

I think that's debatable. While it certainly wasn't rape, Myrelle did take advantage of the situation.

In any case, it's irrelevant, because nobody cared about the sex. It was the act of passing the bond that was considered a crime, because the Warder had no say in it.

10 hours ago, Ryrin said:

I think that Myrelle  had convinced herself it was necessary, that doesn't mean it was required.

We don't get Lan point of view chapters around that time but from the perspective of other characters he is still very dark while with Myrelle and only starts to become more his old self while with Nynaeve. So he actually needed love and purpose in my view, not meaningless sex. 

True Lan needed purpose but he needed to live first. Moiraine held Lan's bond and she wasn't going to pass it to an Accepted. I'm pretty she knew full well what Myrelle would do and knew Lan would need something until Nyneave. You are correct, we would need Lan's POV to know if Myrelle's way was the only way to prevent him suiciding in the blight.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:14 AM, Ryrin said:

Yeah, I'm not sure "no, listen, he NEEDED to be raped, because being raped will give you the will to live when you're suicidal" is an argument that is exactly gonna fly with current audiences. 

It was a wildly unnecessary bit of writing at the time, but it'll come across even worse now. (Also, did Nynaeve even know about that part? not sure she did)

Edited by Rosemary_Sedai

For the same reason the Tylin situation with Mat will probably be dropped if it gets that far, this will as well. Just as it needed to be pointed out multiple times before I realized what Tylin did was rape, I didn't consider Myrelle and Lan. With twitter and everything now both the Tylin situation and Myrelle with Lan will be dropped. This series isn't GoT and therefore won't go for controversial rape scenes. Another reason to drop the Tylin situation is that Elayne and Nyneave don't come off too well either. My guess is you'll have Moiraine pass the bond to Nyneave directly before Finnland or the bond passed and not snapped.

• Community Administrator
2 hours ago, mistborn82 said:

For the same reason the Tylin situation with Mat will probably be dropped if it gets that far, this will as well. Just as it needed to be pointed out multiple times before I realized what Tylin did was rape, I didn't consider Myrelle and Lan. With twitter and everything now both the Tylin situation and Myrelle with Lan will be dropped. This series isn't GoT and therefore won't go for controversial rape scenes. Another reason to drop the Tylin situation is that Elayne and Nyneave don't come off too well either. My guess is you'll have Moiraine pass the bond to Nyneave directly before Finnland or the bond passed and not snapped.

Why would they drop Mats scene?

Can't he #metoo Tylin? She can be his Epstein.

#StandWithTerryCrews

• Community Administrator
9 hours ago, mistborn82 said:

I think they could if this were another series but being this is kind of a middle ages analogue and all the idiotic codes that go with it. I don't see how. I agree assault can happen to anyone, I just don't see how they do it.

The same way it happened in the books?

WoT is also more Renaissance era, then middle ages.