DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Daniel Henney will play Lan

JenniferL

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember Robert Jordan ever sayig that all borderlanders are asian.  

He said that Saldeans are based on North Africans, and that's literally the only time I remember.

There is no reason for all of the borderlands to be based on the same ethnicity.

I know Shienarans are based cultureally on Japan (samurai style armor, curved, one-sided longsword, top knots, etc, but I didn't see them actually described physically as looking asian.   

And I personally have always see Lan (and by expension the Malkieri) as northern european.  Perhaps Danish.  This is why I always saw Mads Mekkelsen as the perfect Lan.  He has the hard, angular face, and is very good with swordplay in movies.  And I could easily imagine him calling someone a sheepherder.

Edited by Dagon Thyne

• Community Administrator
11 hours ago, Dagon Thyne said:

I don't remember Robert Jordan ever sayig that all borderlanders are asian.  

He said that Saldeans are based on North Africans, and that's literally the only time I remember.

There is no reason for all of the borderlands to be based on the same ethnicity.

I know Shienarans are based cultureally on Japan (samurai style armor, curved, one-sided longsword, top knots, etc, but I didn't see them actually described physically as looking asian.   

And I personally have always see Lan (and by expension the Malkieri) as northern european.  Perhaps Danish.  This is why I always saw Mads Mekkelsen as the perfect Lan.  He has the hard, angular face, and is very good with swordplay in movies.  And I could easily imagine him calling someone a sheepherder.

You keep referencing something RJ supposedly said, but don't link your source.

Re: Shienarians, you state he doesn't describe them as Asian.

He doesn't describe them as not Asian either.

Also, casting is unlikely to pick who you want, every time.

Mads Mek is simply to old.

If you go by height, he's to short.

The only thing he has that Daniel doesn't is blue eyes... Which can be fixed with CGI, or contacts, or both.

Edited by SinisterDeath

It’s really funny to me how many people (men, mostly) think Lan isn’t supposed to be attractive. Yet if you ask women, we all agree that Lan is hot and we approve of Daniel’s casting. Women practically throw themselves at Lan throughout the books, Moiraine even thinks about how many women he’s been with in The Great Hunt. Lan is supposed to be good looking. 

11 minutes ago, JenniferL said:

It’s really funny to me how many people (men, mostly) think Lan isn’t supposed to be attractive. Yet if you ask women, we all agree that Lan is hot and we approve of Daniel’s casting. Women practically throw themselves at Lan throughout the books, Moiraine even thinks about how many women he’s been with in The Great Hunt. Lan is supposed to be good looking. 

I think Lan is supposed to be attractive in a sort of extremely masculine way, rather than pretty boy, boy band member sort of way.

From memory Egwene cant see why Nyneave is attracted to him when she is thinking about it in Tear. 

1 hour ago, Jaglover said:

I think Lan is supposed to be attractive in a sort of extremely masculine way, rather than pretty boy, boy band member sort of way.

From memory Egwene cant see why Nyneave is attracted to him when she is thinking about it in Tear. 

She had the hots for Gawyn by that point.

On 9/7/2019 at 6:20 AM, JenniferL said:

I was not pleased with the initial casting of the characters of Emonds Field.

The casting of Lan is perfect. Daniel Henney will be able to portray Lan to a T other than blue eyes ... which I don’t think matters.

Edited by Ryrin

22 hours ago, JenniferL said:

And yet Myrelle goes out of her way to have ethically questionable sex with him. 

Like I said I'm ok with Henney.

But you are confusing pretty with attractive.

Charles Bronson would never be called pretty but I bet lots of women thought he was attractive.

Sometimes, I think mentally, as we've all grown older I've envisioned these characters as older. Lan, Thom, Moraine. Maybe because age-wise they were older when i started reading the books. I like that Lan is more accessibly 'available' for eye candy for different generations. It's pretty shallow of me to say that, but honestly I like it when men are giving a similar treatment that women in TV get all the time. 

Which makes me equally excited for Galad's casting. >.>

I like this Lan, and that he appears to be taking it for the role that it is on SM. I couldn't be too fussed if he appears younger than his listed age or assumed book-age. That kind of dedication makes this an ideal casting to me.

Henney turns 40 this year. Lan is between 40-45 during the main series. Asians have a tendency to not age very quickly, so he’s not going to look weathered. But it looks like he already knows how to ride a horse and has some familiarity with martial arts, if his instagram is any indication. Stuff like that is more important than whether or not he fits the picture in my head. 

3 hours ago, Ryrin said:

I think Daniel will do Lan proud. He’ll have the piercing gaze and physical presence.

He's going to have to hit the gym. One of the funniest moments in Crown of Swords is when Nyneave punches Lan in the stomach and hurts her hand and he barely seems to notice. 

2 hours ago, Jaglover said:

He's going to have to hit the gym. One of the funniest moments in Crown of Swords is when Nyneave punches Lan in the stomach and hurts her hand and he barely seems to notice. 

Dude's already got abs. So he can already do that.

(not reacting to that punch isn't anything a fighter wouldn't know how to do.. tighten his core when hit. If she actually surprised him with a hit, it would hurt.)

7 hours ago, Jaglover said:

Well, to me he seems reasonably muscular for a warder I'd say. 

On 9/7/2019 at 2:11 PM, SinisterDeath said:

You keep referencing something RJ supposedly said, but don't link your source.

Re: Shienarians, you state he doesn't describe them as Asian.

He doesn't describe them as not Asian either.

Also, casting is unlikely to pick who you want, every time.

Mads Mek is simply to old.

If you go by height, he's to short.

The only thing he has that Daniel doesn't is blue eyes... Which can be fixed with CGI, or contacts, or both.

What often confuses me is that some people view different nations and cultures in Wheel of time representing a distinct culture of the real world. 

I like to think RJ took bits and pieces from here and there to complete his nations. So Shienarans for look like mongols with their top knots, while wearing european style breastplates with mail, armed with japanese katana/nodachi-style swords and european lances. 

While the Seanchan are dark skinned and small in size they seem to have same kind of imperial structures as the Romans had and they also have people as property. 

I think andorans I could point to a distinct region which seem to be northern europeans / celtic people. Only they gave their longbows to Two Rivers. 

50 minutes ago, Jaglover said:

He's got muscles sure but Lan for me is pure muscle and sinew. For any older Wrestling fans I am picturing someone with the abs of Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. 

Daniel is 6'-2, While Ricky the Steamboat is 5'-10". 

Weight is 178 to 235.

I think Daniel/Perrin/Rand can easily put on 20-50 pounds of Muscle and look absolutely shredded.

12 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Daniel is 6'-2, While Ricky the Steamboat is 5'-10". 

Weight is 178 to 235.

I think Daniel/Perrin/Rand can easily put on 20-50 pounds of Muscle and look absolutely shredded.

Wrestlers weights, particularly back then, were often overstated. But in any case my point was more the look. Lan spends his time travelling, training and fighting so he would barely have an ounce of fat on him. 

3 hours ago, Jaglover said:

Wrestlers weights, particularly back then, were often overstated. But in any case my point was more the look. Lan spends his time travelling, training and fighting so he would barely have an ounce of fat on him. 

235 isn't that unlikely for that for guy... I know bodybuilders... And that steamboat guy is quite chunky for body building. ?

But seriously, half the cast can hit the Gym like they are going to be in the next movie, and any complaints about people looking to skinny will go away.

Edited by SinisterDeath