DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Eye of the World Topic

Guest fox-lionheart

Guest fox-lionheart

Ok, since I am about to re-read the Eye of the World, I thought it would be a great idea to start a topic on just Eye of the World. You know for newbie's and people who just want to concentrate on one book at the moment.

I will start off by saying that out of the first four books (which is as far as I've gotten so far), Eye of the World is the second best. The best book of the four, in my opinion, is The Shadow Rising. However, the Eye of the World is still a great beginning to this book.

Robert Jordan has defenitly taking fantasy to a new level. I have read many fantasy books, but none of them have really gripped me such as the Wheel of Time series. I may even go as far enough to say that I prefer the Wheel of Time over Lord of the Rings. Not that there is anything wrong with Lord of the Rings, I just didn't have as much fun reading Lord of the Rings as I did Wheel of Time.

Love Always & Blessed Be,

Fox Lionheart

There's probably an EotW topic in the Structured Discussion forum. They keep a tight rein over there to make sure they discussions don't wander OT.

I know what you mean about LotR though. It's a good read (though I preder the Silm anyhoo), but it's really a "fun" read. That series is pretty somber, and I find it sad. Whereas, I tend to think of the WoT as light and silly (overall).

I know what you mean about LotR though. It's a good read (though I preder the Silm anyhoo)' date=' but it's really a "fun" read. That series is pretty somber, and I find it sad. Whereas, I tend to think of the WoT as light and silly (overall).[/color']

I totally agree with you there. LotR wasn't completely sad, and I thought the Hobbit with pretty funny, but the Silmarilion was totally depressing. I still love them all, but I like WoT more because of the lighter feeling to it.

I've also read a lot of fantasy and I prefer WoT over LoTR too. But I'd say there are 2 authors who can compete with RJ in matters of 'pulling you into their fantasy world' - if you know what I mean :?

The two being Terry Goodkind and Robin Hobb.

I've looked around on the forum a bit and most people seem to like Dave Eddings and Raymond E feist a lot but I didn't like those very much. I'd never re-read them.

Has anybody read Goodkind or Hobb?

Guest fox-lionheart
I've also read a lot of fantasy and I prefer WoT over LoTR too. But I'd say there are 2 authors who can compete with RJ in matters of 'pulling you into their fantasy world' - if you know what I mean :?

The two being Terry Goodkind and Robin Hobb.

I've looked around on the forum a bit and most people seem to like Dave Eddings and Raymond E feist a lot but I didn't like those very much. I'd never re-read them.

Has anybody read Goodkind or Hobb?

I have read a little bit of Goodkind and he wasn't so bad, I just didn't like the first book in the Sword of Truth series. When it comes to fantasy I am very picky, Jordan is the only fantasy author aside from a few others, that I like a lot.

There's one particular book series I am interested in and wanted to know if anyone has read them. It's the fantasy series by George R. R. Martin. I have the first book, but haven't read it yet. I'm not even sure if its the kind of fantasy I like.

Love Always & Blessed Be,

Fox Lionheart

A lot of people on here like GRRM's a song of Ice and Fire seies. It's a bit more on the realistic side than WoT. It's more graphic, there's more death, less magic and a lot more betrayal. I've read the 4 that are currntly out and they are very good. The characters are very real, some you absolutely love and some you absolutely hate. I'd recomend giving it a try.

A lot of people on here like GRRM's a song of Ice and Fire seies. It's a bit more on the realistic side than WoT. It's more graphic' date=' there's more death, less magic and a lot more betrayal. I've read the 4 that are currntly out and they are very good. The characters are very real, some you absolutely love and some you absolutely hate. I'd recomend giving it a try.[/quote']

Never read GRRM but after reading this I'd say he's more like Robin Hobb.

yeah, if you study Tolkein the man you'll find out a huge influence on his writing was World War I. in a way his works were his way of coping with the tragedy that sickened and horrified him. that's why so often the wars of Middle-earth have great loss, not in just nameless numbers but in important figures (like Elendil and Gil-galad). it's depressing stuff at times - even the "ending" of LOTR is the death of Aragorn.

as for Goodkind I couldn't get through even the second book in The Sword of Truth. I really liked the first, I loved the character of Chase but I couldn't get over Richard and Kahlan's constant bickering and making up. meh~

• 2 weeks later...

GRRM is much more graphic regarding violence, sex, perverted sex, and basically the bad side of human nature, mised in with some fo the good side, but do not expect the good side to win because they are good. Having said that, GRRM is an excellent writer.

Goodkind's book reminds me a little of a soap opera. Not sure why, maybe because it is more of a love story and it has much less depth than TWOT, but I still like it and have read them all. Goodkinds bood has more of i will do this stupiod thing because it is right, and wholla, out of the blue something weird happens that makes that the only choice that would have worked. Much more tuth justice and the American way wins out in the end that GRRM, even more than Jordan does.

Just wanted to add something to my previous post...

I disagree mainly because i've read the 4 books from the series that are out so far. Yes they are quite graphic, they involve sex, some incest and lots of murder but at the same time it's brilliantly written.

GrrM also does an AMAZING job at developing his characters, which as a reader, is something I have come to appreciate in a good fantasy book. He also keeps you on edge since he doesnt shy away from offing his characters.

These books may not be for everyone, which is apparent already from some of the replys. I just personally think that Martin is the type of Author everyone who likes fantasy should atleast give a try.

Personally I love David Gemmel for the way he brings his characters to life anyone who could create Druss the Legend & Waylander is a genius. Also his work is never a simple good vs evil story, there are always shades of gray, a brilliant read. not better than WOT but close.

Goodkind strikes me as verrryyy contrived to the point that you just can't care about the characters because you can't believe the situations they find themselves in. I read the first 4 or 5 books and enjoyed them but they just aren't very immersive.

Eddings is a soap opera after a few books. It's probably been 10 years since I read the Belgariad and never had the urge to re-read.

I will always love LotR and Tolkien in general but it's a whole different kind of book from WoT...more classical I suppose. From what I've read it's meant to be a sort of alternative British mythology since Tolkien felt that Britain was occupied by so many different cultures over the centuries they never had a chance to really develop their own. The Silmarillion reads almost like the bible. :shock:

WoT is great because of the detail and realism of the characters. It's a fantasy world but the people behave in familiar ways. The detail and effort he's put into the world are awesome too. It gives people alot to talk about when there isn't a new book to read. :)

Guest Fire Lord

Who is the lady who writes about Arithon and Lysaer? I read one book of hers but I'm in no hurry to read the follow-ups. Her stuff would have been interesting had it not been for the fact I needed to consult a dictionary every other sentence. As it is, I think she uses complex wording to cover up the shallowness of her plot.

I more or less enjoyed Robin Hobb's work, except for the fact that her men behave like women, saying please every other page, putting on quite an impressive display of emotions, etc etc.

I've read the 4 books of A Song of Ice and Fire I've been able to get so far, and I reckon he's very good, plotwise. However, I tend to get attached to characters, and that constitutes a determining part on whether I will like a book or not. GRRM quite makes that impossible, he kills them characters off like shooting ducks, and that's a down for me. You need electronic circuits instead of a heart to read

him.

Guest Fire Lord

Nah, Daenerys (sp) annoys me no end. Just because she's a Targaryen (sp) she assumes she should conquer, that everyone will acknowledge her and bend their knees, though the latter also could be said of Robb or Theon. In any case she reminds me of Egwene, too full of herself.

Guest Fire Lord

Razor wrote

Agree with Fan Fan re Arys. The Houng grew on me and I like the Imp as well.

I think the Imp is my favorite character so far, he just has a way of seeing things. I love Arya as well, even if she's a bit of an animal, but I understand that.

Stark and Cat seem pretty smart, how can they have an offspring as dumb as Sansa? She's just stupid. :D

Who is the lady who writes about Arithon and Lysaer? I read one book of hers but I'm in no hurry to read the follow-ups. Her stuff would have been interesting had it not been for the fact I needed to consult a dictionary every other sentence. As it is' date=' I think she uses complex wording to cover up the shallowness of her plot.[/quote']

Couldn't agree more. I have most of those books (as are out) in my shelf, and somehow I haven't even read all of them. I always start over another time, and lose interest somewhere along the line...

It's Janny Wurts, btw.

Guest Fire Lord

It's Janny Wurts, btw.

Ah yes, Janny Wurts. Thanks :D

I'm still arguing with myself as to whether I should read the other books; I've read book two only. I realise I'm quite off topic, but has anyone read them? Are they any better?

I've read Wurts books... let's see...

It's somewhere along book 4 or 5 I usually lose interest, think I have bokk 6 also but I have not read it.. yet. Don't even know it I ever get around to it. Maybe after aMoL... :)

So - my poinion is that they do not get better after the first ones.

Really, thinking on it, I think book one is best.

Archived