DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Game of Thrones Season 5 - BOOK SPOILERS!

Niniel

my predictions for the season finale in this order

- Dorne wrap up with Jamie and co in a buggy on the way home

- Walk of Shame brought to you by Cersie Lannister.

- Winterfell under siege, feature Stannis and his now insane wife and Millie finding an excuse to go back to the wall

- the Bastard of Bolton gets caught and burned by Stannis, as the show retain the "only one bad guy at a time please" theme

- Sansa uses the siege to escape witht he help of Bernie and takes on Reek as a lap dog.

- Danny finds the horde while Tyrion discovers where the other dragons are and gets a boner

- Mereen descends into utter chaos and Jorah gets dead when they find he has greyscale.

- ending with Jon going a'la Ceaser style

1) DING!

2) DING!

3) BZZT!

4) BZZT!

5) BZZT!

6) BZZT!

7) BZZT!

8) DING!

3/8 with most others being half correct.

Not bad.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, ha. 

Okay, so I´m very emotional again. They certainly know how to do that to me. This will have to be a short post since I´m already late for work. Luckily I can decide when I come and go today.

Wall: Wow! They actually did it. I had hoped they would. The reason was not the same as in the book so it´s a bit weird. In the book Jon made a wrong decision (going to Winterfell), which is against the Watch oath to not interfer with the politics of Westeros,  but here it´s just an "ordinary" mutiny. But if I forget about that, it was a desturbing scene. I didn´t think Alliser Thorn would have anything to do with it. It actually made it crueller somehow. And of course I was shocked that Olly stabbed him.  :rolleyes:  :tongue: The last scene with Jon in the snow looked good. I wonder how the unsullied will react. 

Sam choose  to go to Oldtown himself. That is also sort of weird - that Jon let him go for personal reasons. But I guess it was okay as well.

No Benjen. *sigh*

Winterfell:

I don´t mind that we didn´t get to see the battle. I love how the look on Melisandres face changed from the melting ice scene to the scene when they got to know that half of the men had deserted. I think she acted great and it was really scary to see her that way. (Also when she got to the Wall. Hm, I wonder what she will be doing there....  :smile: )  

It was so sad to see how Stannis lost everything. Finding Selyse hanging from the tree, men and horses gone and then Melisandre disappeared. I think he was longing for his death. I liked how Brienne remembered him about Renly and that he just approved of her killing him. He knew what he had done and he was happy to die. 

I´m so sad that we didn´t get to see Theon with the heart tree. I think he would have made that a great scene. And it would have reminded us about Bran. But the scene with him, Sansa and Miranda was great. In the end Sansa didn´t save Theon and Theon didn´t save Sansa - they saved each other. I liked that. Now I really hope they survived that fall since Miranda didn´t seem to make hers. Hollywood...

Dorne:

I knew that something was wrong when Ellaria kissed Myrcella. Poor Jaime. He will come home with a Dornish prince but no princess. I think they have just ruined his story this season. More about that later.

Braavos:

All good scenes. Arya is really scary and it felt a bit too much but the scene in the hall with faces was great. Very scary. It´s too bad that we didn´t get to see the blood magic but this worked well.

Kings Landing:

Lena acted great! To see her in the beginning of the walk and then see her slowly lowering her shoulders and finally starting to cry. Excellent. 

Meereen: 

I like the scene in the throne room. It´s such an aquard tention between Daario and Jorah. The show have made me like Daario much more than bookDario. 

Poor Drogon, he is hurt and tired. It was fun to see Dany falling off him.  :laugh:  The surrounding looked just wrong. Where is she supposed to be? I had hoped to see her fever scene when she sees Viserys, Jorah etc. but that never happened.

Okay, that was some quick thoughts. I will now run to work.  :laugh:  I will see if I can give my thoughts on the whole season later. 

• Community Administrator

my predictions for the season finale in this order

- Dorne wrap up with Jamie and co in a buggy on the way home

- Walk of Shame brought to you by Cersie Lannister.

- Winterfell under siege, feature Stannis and his now insane wife and Millie finding an excuse to go back to the wall

- the Bastard of Bolton gets caught and burned by Stannis, as the show retain the "only one bad guy at a time please" theme

- Sansa uses the siege to escape witht he help of Bernie and takes on Reek as a lap dog.

- Danny finds the horde while Tyrion discovers where the other dragons are and gets a boner

- Mereen descends into utter chaos and Jorah gets dead when they find he has greyscale.

- ending with Jon going a'la Ceaser style

1) DING!

2) DING!

3) BZZT!

4) BZZT!

5) BZZT!

6) BZZT!

7) BZZT!

8) DING!

3/8 with most others being half correct.

Not bad.

Well, this is at least worth a half point. She did escape. With reek not Bernie. It wasn't under siege, but everyone was gone due to the fighting. :wink:

Thanks. It doesn´t look like it should to me but okay. 

I forgot Varys. Interesting that he showed up in Meereen. Among all the deaths we actually had two that survived unexpectedly because of it. lol

Some impressions of the season:

Good stuff

Almost all of the actors are great. Alfie, Sophie, Stephen, Kit, Maise, Kerry, Lena, Peter, Iain etc. They are all great. The show has certainly found great young actors. Even the people playing the small parts are good, like the girl in Braavos, Alliser Thorne, the septa etc.  I so wish that Alfie gets some awards for this season. 

Almost all scenes at the Wall and in Winterfell. I loved the election, maester Aemon, Sam and Gilly, Jon and Stannis, Jon and Davos, Jon and Tormund.... Hardhome was great. I think they make the scenes in the North much darker and it fits. It was not very logical to put Sansa in Winterfell and marry her to Ramsay but, if I forget about that, there were so many good scenes there. The family dinner! Wish I could have family dinners like that. lol Sansa played great. I was really worried how they would end it but I think both Sansa and Theon came out stronger in the end. They managed to save each other. 

The music!

The costumes, the backgrounds, the castles...

The dragons! Amazing. 

They kept some of my favourite moments from the books, like Lyanna Mormont´s letter and "Egg, I dreamed...".

I think the Braavos scenes were over all good and I liked that they brought back Jaquen. 

I think they cut some good parts, like Aegon. I don´t think he is needed and they have to cut a lot. No Lady Stoneheart

Tyrion coming early to Meereen. I´m not always fond of how they make Dany but there were a lot of good scenes with Daario, Jorah, Barristan and Tyrion. I absolutely enjoyed Tyrion better in the show even though he seems less "real".

Not so good:

So many things were illogical. Why did Cersei support the High Sparrow? We know why but they didn´t explain it very well. Why did Stannis kill his daughter? We know why but the built up was not enough. Why would Sansa marry Ramsay? How come Littlefinger knew nothing about Ramsay? How come Dany is all about protecting her people, then feeding people to her dragons and then suddenly decide to marry Hizzdar? It just didn´t make sense. How on earth could there be so many soldiers and horses at Winterfell? They cut a lot of things, which they have to, but they should make what´s left logical.

Dorne! Nothing about it was good. Well, Doran was good and Bronn is funny but... meh! Ellaria was suddenly very different, talked with a bad accent and was just wrong. The sandsnakes, Myrcella and Trystane were bad. I´m not sure if they are bad actors or if it´s just bad writing or bad direction. The plot felt totally meaningless. I just waited for Doran to reveal a master plan in the last episode but no. And what´s ever worse, Jaime got really bad this season. He was just out of character. 

Cersei had a lot of great scenes but I don´t like that they have changed her relationship with Jaime and I had hoped to see more of mad and paranoid Cersei. 

Olly. Why focus on him staring at Jon like hundred times every episode. To surprice us when he stabs Jon? 

Important things missing: Needle. Still hidden? Ghost. Where was he during the FTW? Frey pies!

Important people missing: Bran, Asha, Gendry, Wyman Manderly...

Important quotes: "Edd, fetch me a block." Doran´s fire and blood speach. 

I may come up with more later. :)

So, who is dead and who isn´t?

Ser Barristan

Hizzdar

Stannis? We never saw it but probably.

Shireen

Selyse

Myrcella

Mance

Meryn Trant

Wildling elders and a lot of wildlings.

Jon???

Who have I forgotten? 

I read an article where Kit said that he is not coming back but I won´t believe it until D&D clearly says that he is dead. 

So, who is dead and who isn´t?

Ser Barristan

Hizzdar

Stannis? We never saw it but probably.

Shireen

Selyse

Myrcella

Mance

Meryn Trant

Wildling elders and a lot of wildlings.

Jon???

1) Yes

2) I can't imagine he survived that stabbing but I guess it's possible

3) I WANT TO BELIEVE

4) Yep

5) Yep

6) As much as I'd like to believe they turned around and got a cure or somehow Bronn did something...I know she's dead and it makes me very upset for some reason. More so than any other death in either the books or show. Myrcella didn't deserve to die. :(

7) Yep

8) Yep

9) I guess so yeah

10) Well one way or another Jon as we know him is dead. Whether they'll pick up the warg storyline is up for debate.

You forgot Ramsey's chick. The one who was going to shoot Sansa.

I've really have enjoyed this season, it seems to have slowed down from what felt like a rushed Season 4. It did what I felt the first three series did; steady at first then pick up the pace towards the end. Also, a few character surprises. For example, although we obviously hated her character, Myranda was a cool part of this series and I think the actress (Charlotte Hope) did a really good job and loved her death. Good bit of camera trickery.

Cannot wait for Season 6 and it's been set up to be a good one. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Melisandre does now as everything has changed for her and she'll have a new role to play with some different interactions. 

And to the people I've seen on some sites that think Theon and Sansa are dead. Dont' be stupid.

I feel like the finale was too rushed and that a lot of this could have been covered in previous episodes. I don't know. It just felt disconnected to me.

Like, the fall of Stannis could have been much more grand. Ditto for the Jon Snow stabbing. It's like they are trying to capture the magic of the Red Wedding but failing miserably.

Most importantly Ramsay Bolton is still alive.

Anyone else think that at LEAST ONE of Stannis or Jon are not dead/coming back.

BENJI you still lost bro??

Theon and Sansa was great stuff.

Poor Jamie man I felt bad for him

Bronn just keep on Bronning!!

And of course Varys is back and thats sweet,

Jon will be back, but not as the same actor.

Stannis is almost certainly toast. (he wasn't killed on screen, which might mean he may not be dead and Bre couldn't go through with it...)

I feel like the finale was too rushed and that a lot of this could have been covered in previous episodes. I don't know. It just felt disconnected to me.

Like, the fall of Stannis could have been much more grand. Ditto for the Jon Snow stabbing. It's like they are trying to capture the magic of the Red Wedding but failing miserably.

Probably because most of the seasons budget was spent on Hardhome.

As for the finale itself they focused on Cerseis walk way longer than necessary.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

LOL

Wrong thread.

Silly Basel bumping the old season thread.

I don't see anything wrong with posting on the thread for the season you're currently in. I've gathered this is the season where events start to outpace the books somewhat, so for the first time I'm going into this not knowing what's coming up some of the time. I'm three episodes in, and Ramsay marrying Sansa was certainly unexpected.

LOL

Wrong thread.

Silly Basel bumping the old season thread.

I don't see anything wrong with posting on the thread for the season you're currently in. I've gathered this is the season where events start to outpace the books somewhat, so for the first time I'm going into this not knowing what's coming up some of the time. I'm three episodes in, and Ramsay marrying Sansa was certainly unexpected.

I think he just means he posted in the wrong thread, because he didn't realize you posted in an older thread.

Nothing wrong with posting your thoughts on the season you are currently watching. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so we finished season 5 last night. Jon's murder was well done, but I was taken aback by the different way the killers used to lure him out. Wun Wun wasn't even in the scene. Having Alliser at the head of the plot was a twist. I actually think the book missed a step by not having Alliser be part of the mutiny against Jon, because it was hatred at first sight between them, and nothing ever happened to change how they felt about each other. Alliser is the one person who most logically should be part of a move against Jon.

I'm not sure killing Myrcella was a good idea. I was looking forward to seeing Jamie act as a father. And Ellaria should have been hit harder than the poison than she actually was. She had to have taken it before passing it to Myrcella. Not just immediately before, because she needed to be alone, with only the Sand Snakes possibly present. Then she waits several minutes after the ship casts off. Myrcella gets a nosebleed, and then immediately gets dizzy and confused, then keels over and dies. Ellaria, despite having it in her system longer, gets a nosebleed with no other ill effects, takes the time to wipe her nose!!, then casually takes out the container of antidote and drinks it down. Myrcella died within seconds of having the initial symptoms; how is Ellaria barely affected at all?

And last, this might be a stupid question, but Google has failed me. I keep seeing mentions in this thread of the Unsullied. That's what Dany's eunuch soldiers that she bought and then freed are called, but does it also refer to something else altogether? When I try to Google it, all I get are the soldiers, but people here seem to be using it in a real world context.

I would guess the easy answer is that Ellaria was more careful to not ingest the poison (through licking of the lips or whatever) and therefore was only affected mildly whereas Myrcella would have ingested it unknowingly(?)

Ok, so we finished season 5 last night. Jon's murder was well done, but I was taken aback by the different way the killers used to lure him out. Wun Wun wasn't even in the scene. Having Alliser at the head of the plot was a twist. I actually think the book missed a step by not having Alliser be part of the mutiny against Jon, because it was hatred at first sight between them, and nothing ever happened to change how they felt about each other. Alliser is the one person who most logically should be part of a move against Jon.

Jon sent Ser Alliser north of the Wall on a ranging before the mutiny happened...  the show cut out so much of what was happening at the Wall, it really isn't comparable anymore, but it did pack a gut punch seeing it visually.

I'm not sure killing Myrcella was a good idea. I was looking forward to seeing Jamie act as a father. And Ellaria should have been hit harder than the poison than she actually was. She had to have taken it before passing it to Myrcella. Not just immediately before, because she needed to be alone, with only the Sand Snakes possibly present. Then she waits several minutes after the ship casts off. Myrcella gets a nosebleed, and then immediately gets dizzy and confused, then keels over and dies. Ellaria, despite having it in her system longer, gets a nosebleed with no other ill effects, takes the time to wipe her nose!!, then casually takes out the container of antidote and drinks it down. Myrcella died within seconds of having the initial symptoms; how is Ellaria barely affected at all?

The show version of the Dorne storyline is a disaster tbh.  The only thing I can use as a possible explanation is that perhaps Ellaria built up a partial immunity to the poison over time - otherwise, handwavy TV convenience, of course.

And last, this might be a stupid question, but Google has failed me. I keep seeing mentions in this thread of the Unsullied. That's what Dany's eunuch soldiers that she bought and then freed are called, but does it also refer to something else altogether? When I try to Google it, all I get are the soldiers, but people here seem to be using it in a real world context.

"The Unsullied" is a term used by the Watchers on the Wall website contributors/readers (carried over from when most of them wrote for Winteriscoming.net) to refer to show-only viewers who have never read the books, so they didn't know where the storyline was going. :wink:

Archived