DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cleanse the Tower - Black Tower Mafia Day 2

Darthe

And that means that D1, which is a day on which we can't reasonably expect to lynch scum, needed to be a short day.  And I'll go out on a limb and say that D2 probably should be relatively short as well, because we need to maximize our time on days when we can expect to lynch scum.

I think you are being wonky with your math. Nights are 12 hours. Even if we set ALL days to 24 hours, we get 5 days plus 8 hours on Day 6 assuming we lynch ZERO scum. I'll tell you what, we don't deserve to win if we haven't lynched scum in a 16 player game by Day 6.

Also, you forget that days where we have a guilty result on a player don't need to be very long. Plus days with fewer players require less discussion as well. So, really, days can get SHORTER as we progress because we'll have more info to help us make better decisions faster.

Like, Day 3 would probably be a good day to reserve now as a 12 hour day. At that point our PR's would have two nights worth of investigation results.

So I propose D2 is 20 hours and Day 3 is 12 hours. That gives us a full 24 hours for Day 6 and beyond, not counting the time we get back plus the bonus 12 hours when we lynch scum. If we catch scum by day 3? We can "reward" ourselves by adding 4 hours to our days for each scum we catch.

Wow, is that ever pinging hard.  For one thing, a cop isn't necessarily going to claim on first guilty, especially since we don't know whether Darthe put a doctor in this game or if said doctor can protect the same player on multiple nights (that used to be standard on DM, but I also recall some recent talk about how it's gamebreaking to allow that, so ... I wouldn't assume it).  For another, D3 is probably the most information heavy day in a 16 player game, as the roster gets culled down and heavy casing happens.  Spending 12 hours there after a 24 hour D1 ... is crazypants

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. Let's look at this as an accounting problem.

We had $192 in the bank.

Each nights costs $12.

Day 1 cost us $24.

So on day 2 we'll have $156 left in the bank. And we know N2 is going to cost us another $12.

Go from there.

Agreed.  Which is why D1 should have cost us less than $24.  I'd rather allocate time to later days, when there is more information to analyze and therefore more useful ways to spend the time.

In other words, we've now spent $24 to buy $12 worth of time (given what the lack of available information does to the utility of the time we've "purchased")

I don't understand that math. How do you buy that time?

And that means that D1, which is a day on which we can't reasonably expect to lynch scum, needed to be a short day.  And I'll go out on a limb and say that D2 probably should be relatively short as well, because we need to maximize our time on days when we can expect to lynch scum.

I think you are being wonky with your math. Nights are 12 hours. Even if we set ALL days to 24 hours, we get 5 days plus 8 hours on Day 6 assuming we lynch ZERO scum. I'll tell you what, we don't deserve to win if we haven't lynched scum in a 16 player game by Day 6.

Also, you forget that days where we have a guilty result on a player don't need to be very long. Plus days with fewer players require less discussion as well. So, really, days can get SHORTER as we progress because we'll have more info to help us make better decisions faster.

Like, Day 3 would probably be a good day to reserve now as a 12 hour day. At that point our PR's would have two nights worth of investigation results.

So I propose D2 is 20 hours and Day 3 is 12 hours. That gives us a full 24 hours for Day 6 and beyond, not counting the time we get back plus the bonus 12 hours when we lynch scum. If we catch scum by day 3? We can "reward" ourselves by adding 4 hours to our days for each scum we catch.

Wow, is that ever pinging hard.  For one thing, a cop isn't necessarily going to claim on first guilty, especially since we don't know whether Darthe put a doctor in this game or if said doctor can protect the same player on multiple nights (that used to be standard on DM, but I also recall some recent talk about how it's gamebreaking to allow that, so ... I wouldn't assume it).  For another, D3 is probably the most information heavy day in a 16 player game, as the roster gets culled down and heavy casing happens.  Spending 12 hours there after a 24 hour D1 ... is crazypants

Then make it 36 or 48 hours, like I said. We can have it, and if it turns out we can't, we have lost anyways by the time we're at 0.

If 5 players are inactive at deadline, it would be natural to assume the majority are town, in roughly the same proportion: 3.75/5 town, 1.25/5 scum.  Since you can't have a quarter of a player, that means a fair assumption would be 4 town/1 scum (3/2 is possible, though unlikely).  That would put the numbers at 8-3, or roughly the same concentration of town-to-scum as our default of 12-4.

No no. You are making bad assumptions here and not accounting for human psychology/behavior. It's the same reason you don't just invest all your money in McDonalds just because historically the price trend is up. What if some film maker shoots a documentary that goes viral about how terribly unhealthy McDonalds products are and competitors use that as leverage to draw off that market share by promoting their [relatively] healthier options? You need to weigh that so you can do a proper risk analysis that could prevent you from making a huge mistake.

In the world of forum mafia, I think we can all agree that the informed minority [the scum] have extra incentive to work together and to be there at deadline. I can almost guarantee that scum will try much harder than Town [especially, say, a VT?] to be there for their teammates.

While I agree that Turin may have overstated a touch, he's more right than wrong and you are more wrong than right.

If 5 players are inactive at deadline, it would be natural to assume the majority are town, in roughly the same proportion: 3.75/5 town, 1.25/5 scum.  Since you can't have a quarter of a player, that means a fair assumption would be 4 town/1 scum (3/2 is possible, though unlikely).  That would put the numbers at 8-3, or roughly the same concentration of town-to-scum as our default of 12-4.

No no. You are making bad assumptions here and not accounting for human psychology/behavior. It's the same reason you don't just invest all your money in McDonalds just because historically the price trend is up. What if some film maker shoots a documentary that goes viral about how terribly unhealthy McDonalds products are and competitors use that as leverage to draw off that market share by promoting their [relatively] healthier options? You need to weigh that so you can do a proper risk analysis that could prevent you from making a huge mistake.

In the world of forum mafia, I think we can all agree that the informed minority [the scum] have extra incentive to work together and to be there at deadline. I can almost guarantee that scum will try much harder than Town [especially, say, a VT?] to be there for their teammates.

While I agree that Turin may have overstated a touch, he's more right than wrong and you are more wrong than right.

And you're assuming people signed up for this game with no intention of playing it.  Townies have a team as much as scum do, and no, scum don't necessarily have an incentive to "be there at deadline" unless one of their own is likely to be on the chopping block.  My assumption is that players who can be on at or near deadline will be, regardless of alignment; if that's not the case, players are disrespecting the mod, and me, and anyone else who gives a *&^% enough to put effort into the game.  And by the same token, players who can't be on won't be, regardless of alignment (which, of course, is the definition of "cant")

And you're assuming people signed up for this game with no intention of playing it.  Townies have a team as much as scum do, and no, scum don't necessarily have an incentive to "be there at deadline" unless one of their own is likely to be on the chopping block.  My assumption is that players who can be on at or near deadline will be, regardless of alignment; if that's not the case, players are disrespecting the mod, and me, and anyone else who gives a *&^% enough to put effort into the game.  And by the same token, players who can't be on won't be, regardless of alignment (which, of course, is the definition of "cant")

This world isn't paradise. There will always be people who just don't show up, and he is right that people do so as town more often than as mafia. Just because you don't like it or think it's morally wrong or something like that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Don't hide from the truth you don't want to see.

You "buy" time by lynching scum Every time you lynch scum you get your "money" back plus a $12 bonus to cover expenses for that night phase.

I meant the point of "how do we buy that?". We don't know wheter we'll catch a scum. Also, we'd simply not use anything if it were to happen.

All that said, I'm very much wi

You "buy" time by lynching scum Every time you lynch scum you get your "money" back plus a $12 bonus to cover expenses for that night phase.

Bottom line: it's an analogy. Think of "time" as the town's currency.  If we go bankrupt, we lose.  Hence, scum has an incentive to make us "waste" time, town has an incentive to save time, but also needs to spend it wisely (for example, giving ourselves 1 hr days, which would prevent us from gathering any useful information, would be foolish; we'd have a lot of time left in the bank, but little chance of winning)

Bottom line: it's an analogy. Think of "time" as the town's currency.  If we go bankrupt, we lose.  Hence, scum has an incentive to make us "waste" time, town has an incentive to save time, but also needs to spend it wisely (for example, giving ourselves 1 hr days, which would prevent us from gathering any useful information, would be foolish; we'd have a lot of time left in the bank, but little chance of winning)

I got that. But if you make days shorter than 24 hours at ANY point, then people may not be able to defend themselves at ANY point during the day, which is anti-town. What if a behaviour is entirely logical when explained, or this person is the cop or something like that, but dies because the day was too short for said person to get online?

Ignore that first line.  Was meant to be a separate post, then got caught up responding to Ley.

All of that said, I'm very much willing to shift my vote to [v]##Turin[/v] at this point.  Wonder how that will play.

Because he thinks that days should be 24 hours to give everyone the time to check in during the day at least once?

This world isn't paradise. There will always be people who just don't show up, and he is right that people do so as town more often than as mafia. Just because you don't like it or think it's morally wrong or something like that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Don't hide from the truth you don't want to see.

I just watched a game run where 50% of the scum team were MIA due to RL issues ... in a game where post count impacted win chances.  And those were dedicated players who generally show up whenever they can.  RL is RL, and townies and scum share in its impact.

Now, you may be less engaged as town than scum (and what does that say about your engagement level here, btw? :huh: ), but most of the folks I play with aren't

I got that. But if you make days shorter than 24 hours at ANY point, then people may not be able to defend themselves at ANY point during the day, which is anti-town. What if a behaviour is entirely logical when explained, or this person is the cop or something like that, but dies because the day was too short for said person to get online?

Call me spoiled by JN ... but if you really can't get on once every 12 hours on a D1, I don't know what to say.  12 hours covers a huge range, and unless we have people working 12 hr shifts here, everyone should have been able to get on at least once.

But in the end, you're making my point: if we're ever going to be running a short day, which is a possibility in this game, I'd much rather it be on D1 than on a more meaningful day later in the game.

I just watched a game run where 50% of the scum team were MIA due to RL issues ... in a game where post count impacted win chances.  And those were dedicated players who generally show up whenever they can.  RL is RL, and townies and scum share in its impact.

Now, you may be less engaged as town than scum (and what does that say about your engagement level here, btw? :huh: ), but most of the folks I play with aren't

I'm NOT talking about myself. If you were to check my games - though, honestly, all long ago - I tend to be one of the top posters except in a few of the later games where I was just not ready for myself to play mafia (which I've since fixed, hence my current activity).

RL can happen to everyone, yes, but sometimes people disappear for other reasons, which have to do with their role in the game, and THAT happens more often to people playing town than people playing mafia. As someone who's disproportionally often been distributed mafia roles or town power roles, I can see how a vanilla town game is boring and harder to keep playing.

Ignore that first line.  Was meant to be a separate post, then got caught up responding to Ley.

All of that said, I'm very much willing to shift my vote to [v]##Turin[/v] at this point.  Wonder how that will play.

Because he thinks that days should be 24 hours to give everyone the time to check in during the day at least once?

48 hour D1

7-4 scaremongering/TMI

Interesting reactions from other players when questioned/voted

Call me spoiled by JN ... but if you really can't get on once every 12 hours on a D1, I don't know what to say.  12 hours covers a huge range, and unless we have people working 12 hr shifts here, everyone should have been able to get on at least once.

But in the end, you're making my point: if we're ever going to be running a short day, which is a possibility in this game, I'd much rather it be on D1 than on a more meaningful day later in the game.

I can call my school days 12 hour days, yes, because complicated. Well, monday, tuesday and friday. Thursday is only 10-11 hours long and wednesday only 9 hours, and at monday and tuesday I can read up and probably post once halfway through. But more is not possible for me.

I'm NOT talking about myself. If you were to check my games - though, honestly, all long ago - I tend to be one of the top posters except in a few of the later games where I was just not ready for myself to play mafia (which I've since fixed, hence my current activity).

RL can happen to everyone, yes, but sometimes people disappear for other reasons, which have to do with their role in the game, and THAT happens more often to people playing town than people playing mafia. As someone who's disproportionally often been distributed mafia roles or town power roles, I can see how a vanilla town game is boring and harder to keep playing.

1) I can't

2) Given your apparent lack of boredom here, I guess you're either claiming a power role or acknowledging that you're mafia?  If I were scum and you weren't, btw, I'd have just called you out on the QT as a NK.  So I figured I may as well float it on the thread so that if we have a doctor, they can consider protecting you tonight

I can call my school days 12 hour days, yes, because complicated. Well, monday, tuesday and friday. Thursday is only 10-11 hours long and wednesday only 9 hours, and at monday and tuesday I can read up and probably post once halfway through. But more is not possible for me.

I hear that.

I love that all we're talking about is mechanics.

How is that a bad way to catch scum? Generally, scum will want mechanics that we can influence to work in their advantage, and therefore they'll try to push everyone in a for them advantageous direction. For example saying "we only have limited time" and then wanting to make the days much shorter than logically needed, because if we run such short days without catching mafia we'd already have lost due to mafia majority before we were out of time anyways.

A given for D1 in an experimental game.  Go read my Injustice thread on JN for a comparison ... same thing happened there.  Once we have some other content to sink our teeth into, that'll change :cool:

Which leads me to this: any non-mechanical insight to share?

How is that a bad way to catch scum? Generally, scum will want mechanics that we can influence to work in their advantage, and therefore they'll try to push everyone in a for them advantageous direction. For example saying "we only have limited time" and then wanting to make the days much shorter than logically needed, because if we run such short days without catching mafia we'd already have lost due to mafia majority before we were out of time anyways.

Not sure why you think "12 hour D1" = "12 hour every day".  I'd have liked to take a 12hr D1, a 20hr or so D2, and then distribute the extra time we'd have saved to days 3 and beyond.

First off I'd like to vote wheeloftime13 reasons below

Your point about the red text is illogical due to the fact that it automatically becomes red when you type in the vote code, and anything less than 24 hours benefits mafia because the shorter amount of time town has, the more likely it will be to be picked off due to the fact that not everybody knows who town is.

You're saying a point is illogical becuase the information was irrelevant, which was the actual point I was making. The details of the sentence I used were unimportant, the point I was making was not. Also your argument for shorter days is the basics of Mafia no mater the amount of time that day 1 has.

Your point about the red text is illogical due to the fact that it automatically becomes red when you type in the vote code, and anything less than 24 hours benefits mafia because the shorter amount of time town has, the more likely it will be to be picked off due to the fact that not everybody knows who town is.

A townie is going to die day 1. Accept it, and focus on using D1 to develop sufficient information to make that sacrifice meaningful.  Spending more time on D1 spam and silliness isn't beneficial to the town in the long run when the game has a total time clock that benefits scum

I am not understanding what you see in my post that shows silliness... While there is a greater chance of losing a townie, there is no guarantee that we won't lynch scum... My saying that those who want less time are more likely to benefit mafia should be seen as a valid point because the less amount of day there is, the quicker they can night kill a member of town, so therefore mafia is likely to be among those who don't want a long day... This will be good to keep in mind when deciding who to lynch...

Again you're using the basics of Mafia to justify your position when you forgot 2 things. 1) unless otherwise blocked or prevented the Mafia's kill will go through no matter how long the day is. 2) the more time we spend during the day the more time we use up possibly leading to giving mafia 2 kills.

Put simply, you've been playing long enough to beable to come up with your own reasons instead of defaulting to generalised mafia rules as your reason for your opinion.

I have a few other suspects as well.

I think that Time and EP are both Mafia and did the whole fake argument over silliness to then work up to this blatant distancing vote from EP.

If I'm right then I might as well [v]## Time[/v] and get EP next round.

I don't understand the numbers. My time is limited. I work full time and look after my family in the evening. If you shorten the days to be based in America I'll be working, sleeping or busy.

Just a thought.

Archived