DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

No sex in my books, ever.

richglennon

these last two posters took the words right out of my mouth. my wife got me those books, and i swear, lurid sex scene in the first 5 pages. i'm not innocent (faaaaaaaaaaaar from it :twisted: ), but my eyebrows were trying to crowd out my hairline. :P quite graphic compared to the wheel of time.

the conan stuff is actually almost tame compared to the fallon series, though if i'm not mistaken, there's almost more "on-camera" sex in jordan's conan stuff than in the original howard stories (not that the lovin' was absent in those).

tangent: my biggest criticism of the fallon books is that they're too providential for a historical fantasy, in my opinion. too much coincidence without a mechanism to explain it, besides ridiculous coincidence itself. they're alright, but i wouldn't say much more than that about them. still, michael fallon is pretty damn cool.

i think this is sort of an interesting topic though. exceptions aside, really, almost all fantasy is like that. innuendo, euphemisms... the characters kiss and then the scene skips to afterwards. they're all a little prudish, maybe because of the intended audiences. maybe not, but it's a standard feature of fantasy books. yes, yes, there are exceptions, but i could list half a dozen series where there is little-to-no sex without stopping to think. it's a convention, really.

and to be honest, when i was reading those fallon books, i found myself thinking, "okay, i like my fantasy novel sex to be a little more low-key than this." i guess i have a repressed prudish side. 8) at least when it comes to my fantasy novels. if i want the good stuff, i'll just get a suitable magazine. :P

so far i really dont mind the lack of sex in the novels, but sometimes it would be nice for lust a little bit more then we get. but i start book five today and this is my first read.

Well then ...

SEX AHEAD.

Its not even remotely graphic though, its all daytime TV implied "kiss and cut away". Which is fine with me.

^ That's the way I generally see it as well. There's plenty of fantasy books/series out there that have enough horribly written sex, let's let RJ get away with simple page-long descriptions of expansive cleavage and child-bearing hips. RJ seems to add a light, comedic tone to every potentially risque scene, which has worked fine so far.

Yeah, I generally find WoT pretty chaste, by today's standards.

So much so that every once in a while he will shock/surprise me with some of the comments the characters make. Only because it's so out-of-place. :shock:

It doesn't bother me though. I don't need graphic sex scenes. It's too late in the series to get raunchy. If we got into some heavy fondling scenes with any of the main characters, I would probably have a reaction similar to if some family member started talking in depth about their love life. Ew, no thanks.

OK, points taken. I am not looking for innocence lost. I just wish that RJ could deal with M/F relationships better. Women/men have very set roles in these novels. If I had to be a character, I would choose to be one of the Foresaken.

Just look at it. Rand has his choice of the blond, blue eyed princess, a total gymnastic queen with a tan, and a cute tomboy. If all our lives were that easy. Plus, he is the ruler of the galaxy basically. Hmmm, tough choices.

It's enough to drive you crazy. Oh, that's the premise.

As for tolkien, he goes into the whole Arwen/Aragorn thing in his long winded appendixes. Before the movies and a promo for Liv Tyler, I still got a wierd sexual tension feeling during the Two Towers. The whole unrequited love thing.

As for tolkien' date=' he goes into the whole Arwen/Aragorn thing in his long winded appendixes.[/quote']

He sure does. After Aragorn came back from adventuring around Rohan and Gondor as "Thorongil", they met in Lorien where they "plighted their troth" (which I assume means became bethrothed) on the mound of Cerin Amroth. Everything about that sounds ceremonial and pretty serious. And this all happened long before the Fellowship.

The unrequited love is all Eowyn's. Aragorn never cared for her in that way. If you really felt that way before the movies ever came out then fine, but I just don't see it.

It took me a while but I finally caught the ridiculously sexual idea of "pillow friends" Lesbians everywhere!

Yet the focus of the books is not on sex, it's on saving the world from evil and the relationships people have on the road to TG. RJ gives a nod that yes this couples do have intimate relations, but he doesn't detail their activities... why should he... do we want him too? Not really.

Just look at it. Rand has his choice of the blond, blue eyed princess, a total gymnastic queen with a tan, and a cute tomboy. If all our lives were that easy. Plus, he is the ruler of the galaxy basically. Hmmm, tough choices.

All very true except that he doesn't even have to choose!!!! :shock: He just get's all three and the real kicker is that all three women are ok with that arangement. If there is anything unrealistic about the sex in WOT it is the fact that the three women agreed to this arangement, there is no way in hell any three women would agree to this in the real wolrd.

there is no way in hell any three women would agree to this in the real wolrd.

That's simply not true. There are plenty of cases of bigamy, especially with certain sects of Mormons. In one case I read this man had 8 wives and 30+ children, all of whom lived together on a big ranch. The wives ended up being good friends with one another, and they divided up his time between them.

there is no way in hell any three women would agree to this in the real wolrd.

That's simply not true. There are plenty of cases of bigamy' date=' especially with certain sects of Mormons. In one case I read this man had 8 wives and 30+ children, all of whom lived together on a big ranch. The wives ended up being good friends with one another, and they divided up his time between them.[/quote']

Yes, but I said they would never agree to this arangement in the REAL world. Mormons don't count as part of the real world. :lol:

Just look at it. Rand has his choice of the blond' date=' blue eyed princess, a total gymnastic queen with a tan, and a cute tomboy. If all our lives were that easy. Plus, he is the ruler of the galaxy basically. Hmmm, tough choices. [/quote']

All very true except that he doesn't even have to choose!!!! :shock: He just get's all three and the real kicker is that all three women are ok with that arangement. If there is anything unrealistic about the sex in WOT it is the fact that the three women agreed to this arangement, there is no way in hell any three women would agree to this in the real wolrd.

If I hadn't experienced this in real life I would agree with you.

I met a man a long time ago who was very interesting and fun. He would come to my apartment and have coffee with me in the mornings before he went to work. No, nothing happened! He was challenging intellectually and I loved that. He asked me to go to bed with him, just that simple, no come ons, lets just get to it. I declined. He already had three girlfriends. I wasn't interested in joining their little group. All three of these women were aware of one another and actually spent time with each other. They would plan on who he would spend time with. He thought he was in control, ha! They all loved him, which I could understand, and they all were fine with the arrangement. As for myself, one man one woman. :-))

Archived