DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gotham - Batman prequel show

Basel Gill

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Community Administrator

Actually it's Gordon and Dent who try and bring down Falcone, and the only real result of that is Two-Face; much of this was adapted into The Dark Knight.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Oswald_Cobblepot_(New_Earth)

When Gotham City is nearly leveled by an earthquake, he stays behind when the US government shuts down and blockades the city. He becomes one of the major players in the mostly-abandoned and lawless city, using his connections to profit. One of these connections is discovered to be Lex Luthorand his company. Cobblepot once joined Harvey Dent AKA Two-Face, and several other Gotham criminals to bring down the crime family led by Sofia Falcone. Cobblepot was only with the group very briefly and was arrested after a firefight at the docks withTony Zucco and Eddie Skeevers.

Probably depends on 'which' era, and all that fun stuff. (Like pre or post infinite earth, and what not..)

Had a look at that, and considering this was well into Dent's time as Two-Face, I don't think it counts as the same scenario as an alliance between Penguin (sociopathic social climber) and Gordon (honest cop trying to reform the system from the inside out).

Plus, that's Falcone's daughter, after the Roman himself has been killed. Plus, that's Falcone's daughter, not the Roman himself.

Had a look at that, and considering this was well into Dent's time as Two-Face, I don't think it counts as the same scenario as an alliance between Penguin (sociopathic social climber) and Gordon (honest cop trying to reform the system from the inside out).

Plus, that's Falcone's daughter, after the Roman himself has been killed. Plus, that's Falcone's daughter, not the Roman himself.

ahh.

Not that I expect Gordan & Penguin to ally. But I can see Penguin offering... Maybe finding another 'dirty cop' to help him take down falcone/mooney'?

I got a huge kick out of Cobblepot ordering a tuna sandwich. So the Penguin likes fish.

I noticed at the end of the second episode when he is talking to the "scamps" mother on the phone in his trailer it looked like there were empty sardine cans on the counter.  Thought it was funny.  And a cool detail.

I don't think the ability to use chopsticks makes one cultured, but the inability to do so might be used as a visual stand-in for a difficulty with complexity.

I dunno, by definition chop-sticks are a multi-cultural eating utensil. :tongue: 

And Gordan's simply a fork and knife kinda man.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the nods towards the existence of venom, but I'm rolling my eyes at the people asking if this means we're going to see Bane; unless they're going to work way, way more out of order than they've indicated, Bane is still growing up in prison in Santa Prisca, and it's learning of the existence of Batman that prompts him to break out. Granted that other continuities have had him spending years in wetwork before ever coming to Gotham, but still.

I love how Gordon keeps getting yanked further and further into mob entanglements despite himself; now the two top rival mob bosses in town each think they've got the one honest cop on the force in their pocket.

Damn, Penguin, do you actually have a long game or do you just like putting yourself in situations where the odds of you coming out alive on the other end are miniscule? At least this will give Montoya (and Allen) something else to do.

Also, that look on Alfred's face  :sad:

I'm not sure how much I buy Nygma being one of the good guys, let alone a cop. Am I wrong in thinking this is a thing that is original to the show? I can't see any mention of it happening in previous versions on the character's Wikipedia page.

It's original to the show. The closest he comes to it in the comics is where he tried going straight and parlayed his Riddler persona into a private detective agency; he even convinced Batman to (grudgingly) work with him sometimes.

There's actually very little canon (to my knowledge) on Riddler prior to putting on a mask. The Arkham Origins game had him start out in some manner of IT role within the GCPD, which he used to find out secrets about high-placed people to try and expose them.

I do like how they're building him up, though. They've got him as a guy who wants to be helpful, but he also wants to be acknowledged as helpful, valuable. And he's surrounded by people who are too busy and/or uninterested in playing his games or stroking his ego, or who are actively creeped out by him (the records girl), and all that lack of appreciation and recognition is going to keep on building up.

People saying that things like his question mark mug are a little too on-the-nose are missing the point; the point isn't to wink at the audience saying "this guy is the Riddler-to-be", it's to show that all the little bits and pieces of the persona didn't just come out of nowhere.

i've got 3 episodes to beng watch on the DVR this weekend, so i'm looking forward to it.

personally, Batman has always been my fav super hero series.  its always been the most level (in that it less about mutant powers and more grounded in realism), and the gritty darkness of the atmosphere of Gotham (a remark on NYC's own corruptness) always struck a cord. 

Batman himself has always been portrayed as more of an anti-hero and to me, though its against his moral code and he never would, the way he carried himself and treated the bad guys, he always gave off the feeling that killing a bad guy was something he would do if he absolutely had to.   like i said, in character the Bat would never do so, and the Joker tried his damnedest to get him to do so.  but the feeling through his actions that the character has always given me is that its plausible (more so than any other of the big super heros hollywood focus's on).

Batman has also had, imo, he most intriguing story line, development and growth as a character and the best spread of villains.

from what i've seen of the show, i'm loving it.  i'm not an expert on the batman time line or comic series so ages of characters and tweaks to story line dont really bother me  (though one person who is a comic book junkie is really tweaked by the Gordon & Rebecca line, mentioned something about her being Gordons daughter in the books or something o.0  idk lol )

i'm loving the rich back story to well known characters in a pre-batman gotham; to see how the city functioned before the Bat came in and the power struggles.   to see why Bruce's parents were killed and for the focus on that aspect not to be centered on who did it, but rather why and the impact not he power struggle in Gotham.  its like you had 3 main mobs with equal control in the City and the Waynes as the good buffer to keep them in check; which allowed a corrupt city to still function without devolving in on itself and eating itself alive 3rd world style.

the waynes death is a two fold catalyst in this series.  it starts Bruce's well known spiral into becoming the caped crusader; and also starts Gotham into the plunge of a city of organized crime, to the sewer of filth we all know it becomes.  (though i'm convinced the person they had kill the Waynes will become the Joker as a nod to the first movie)

Penguin seems like he's the main fuel for this spiraling down.  he's actively seeking out to create chaos and disrupt the balance by aiming to take out the bosses as well as getting his revenge on the chick (can't recall her name, but her character is a great addition to the batman universe).  really this series feels like a Penguin origin story, and given how the series is using this character its nice to see a prevalent bad guy being focused on that isn't the Joker.  i'm really interested to see how much collateral damage and direct damage Penguin causes in his rise to power.

Reyler is on the nose with her interpretation of the Riddler and i for one LOVE this back story for him.  it makes sense to his character imo.  i've always prefer the Enigma that the Arkham Series built as the best story line for the Riddler.   he's not out to create chaos, he's trying to help Gotham by getting rid of the corruption from within the system (where batman is focused on the bad guys, Riddler focuses on the dirty cops and politicians).  the only reason why Riddler bothers with Batman and challenges him is because he see s Batmans intelligence as a rival to his own, and being the egotistical person he is, he wants to assert his own genius over Batman  (basically its a pissing contest for Enigma).

having Riddler work as an IT fetch guy for the GCPD builds the motivation for this character to act how he does later in the series.  and the guy they got to play him, my god he's spot on!

i'm very interested in where the show plans to take the re-opening of Arkham Asylum.  i wonder who will play Dr. Strange *grins* and when Scarecrow will make an appearance (i hope they get the actor from the movies to play him).  i would also love to see villains like the Calendar Man come center stage

i have to wonder a few things with the show in regards to Bruce.  how will they deal with Bruce's AWOL time where he joins up with the League of Assassins .... and are they going to go Smallville style in that they'll have Bruce become Batman as a teenager rather than in his early 20's

You know if they hadn't named the episode "Selina Kyle", I might not have been so disappointed about the percentage of it that featured her. It took like halfway through the episode before they got back to the plot that they started with. Maybe space out the Penguin stuff over another episode or two instead?

Also, I found out afterwards that the two kidnappers were named Doug and Patti. It makes me laugh thinking that twenty years ago those kidnappers looked like this

doug-u-pick-week-7-clip-1.jpg

lmfao   the actors even resembled an older version of the two cartoon characters.  Reyler wins the internet today.

It's original to the show. The closest he comes to it in the comics is where he tried going straight and parlayed his Riddler persona into a private detective agency; he even convinced Batman to (grudgingly) work with him sometimes.

There's actually very little canon (to my knowledge) on Riddler prior to putting on a mask. The Arkham Origins game had him start out in some manner of IT role within the GCPD, which he used to find out secrets about high-placed people to try and expose them.

I do like how they're building him up, though. They've got him as a guy who wants to be helpful, but he also wants to be acknowledged as helpful, valuable. And he's surrounded by people who are too busy and/or uninterested in playing his games or stroking his ego, or who are actively creeped out by him (the records girl), and all that lack of appreciation and recognition is going to keep on building up.

People saying that things like his question mark mug are a little too on-the-nose are missing the point; the point isn't to wink at the audience saying "this guy is the Riddler-to-be", it's to show that all the little bits and pieces of the persona didn't just come out of nowhere.

^ this.  omg this.   dude get out of my head will you  :tongue:  seriously, anyone who didn't know the first episode that this guy was the riddler, not only from the name but also from his persona has no right to complain about a blunt nod to Riddlers alter ego  XD

as soon as this actor opened his mouth and enteracted with Gordon i was like "is that ... is that the Riddler?" and then they said his name and i was like 0.0  "omg that actor is perfect!"

Archived