DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gotham - Batman prequel show

Basel Gill

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Community Administrator

At first, I read your first sentence as saying you confused pepper with chili. That could be an unfortunate mistake.

Nah, both spices are pretty hot when it comes down to it.. And I'd rather have my food over-chili'd than over peppered! (My goodness!.. Peppercorns are insanely hot when eaten whole!)

Peppers daughter from episode one is poison ivy. Watch the scene again. Red hair, socially awkward, withdrawn, surrounded by plants. It was about as much of a hint as the question mark on enigmas coffee cup xD

So black mask deybued and locked up in the same episode ... Not sure what I think of that. Hush has been introduced, not sure where they're going with this angle.

Also speaking of homicidle maniacs, can't wait to see sazz(sp) come back into play. That dudes just nuts. The guy playing him was awesome too.

I love the story line with the pe guin. Never been a fan of the bird until this show, he's growing on me as a villain.

OOC: Bubba and I hit up some comic shops in Jackson this weekend ( had to go for work). We got the rest of the Civil War arc for marvel (except cap and tony), avenging spiderman (both deadpool issues), the Fear Itself arc for the avengers, and the Death of the Family arc for Batman.

I loved Nygma's autopsy narration. "Had a cranberry muffin for breakfast. Saved the rest for later." Also how he can't stop sticking his nose into other people's business.

I have to wonder if Ivy isn't just a red herring; she was in all the promotional materials before the show aired, and then only had one line of dialogue in the first episode and hasn't been seen since. Even Selina has had better than that, for all that they've kept her from talking.

I wouldn't expect much out of Tommy Elliot for the time being. He's certainly fascinated by the notion of dead parents, though.

i love how they're progressing Riddler as well in this show.  his expression when Gordons partner was like "yeah we already know that Einstein" was perfect.  half surprise at someone knowing something only he should have been able to find out, and half fury at someone finding it out before him.  his anger was restrained, but you could see it.   such a wonderful actor they got to play him ^_^

with Ivy, i think it was less of a red herring and more of a "we have her character cast, she's in the plot line, but we have to wait until later for her to become part of the story arc" type of thing.  just setting the ground work for why she becomes all "destroy society, hate progression go back to the stone age" sort of mentality.  they just took the opportunity to try her past into the Waynes murder and her motive into hating Gotham and show us rather than just getting it 2nd hand.

Ivy's character is much different than Cat's.  with Cat, because of what she is, she can be involved from different angles.  be it to progress a story arc and nudge Gordon in a certain direction (like with the child snatchers) or to bring characters together and gives us a PoV on things that we otherwise wouldn't see.

what i've wondered form episode one is if the show is going to go the "X-men 1st class" route with Cat and Bruce.  where he catches her stealing and takes her in, which from the promo for next week it does look like Bruce and Cat will meet.

Oh, and I have to admit, that bit at the end where Bruce asks Alfred to teach him how to fight while the rising music sounds an awful damn lot like Batman's leitmotif from the Nolan films; I couldn't not smile at that.

It was also nice seeing that last week's display of just how weak and cowardly and corrupt the GCPD really is carried through this in this episode. Essen, at least, seems to have been shamed into trying to turn it around.

i love how they're progressing Riddler as well in this show.  his expression when Gordons partner was like "yeah we already know that Einstein" was perfect.  half surprise at someone knowing something only he should have been able to find out, and half fury at someone finding it out before him.  his anger was restrained, but you could see it.   such a wonderful actor they got to play him ^_^

with Ivy, i think it was less of a red herring and more of a "we have her character cast, she's in the plot line, but we have to wait until later for her to become part of the story arc" type of thing.  just setting the ground work for why she becomes all "destroy society, hate progression go back to the stone age" sort of mentality.  they just took the opportunity to try her past into the Waynes murder and her motive into hating Gotham and show us rather than just getting it 2nd hand.

Ivy's character is much different than Cat's.  with Cat, because of what she is, she can be involved from different angles.  be it to progress a story arc and nudge Gordon in a certain direction (like with the child snatchers) or to bring characters together and gives us a PoV on things that we otherwise wouldn't see.

what i've wondered form episode one is if the show is going to go the "X-men 1st class" route with Cat and Bruce.  where he catches her stealing and takes her in, which from the promo for next week it does look like Bruce and Cat will meet.

I think of Ivy as nothing more than a cameo.

She's not old enough yet to become Poison Ivy, and the first episode sets the ground work for her hatred of Gordon, and the Police in General. As far as I'm concerned, they set up her motivation for her future beliefs, as well as explaining in part, how she became detached from humanity and latched unto the plants.

I think the most we might see of Poison Ivy in future episodes.. is a Proto-Poison Ivy courtesy of course, of Wayne Industries.

That's pretty much been the series Modus Operandi...

Mafia/Organized Crime as the run of the mill criminals, dipping there fingers in everything.

Wayne Industries as the corrupt business that makes the freaks.

And sometimes they combine.. accidentally or on purpose, and a Criminal Freak is the result.

@ reyler - the Nolan series was based off the Year One reboot (now official origin story) and subsequent Dark Knight Universe series.

its no surprise that this series is following with that reboot, most of the batman media (movies, games, cartoons) have followed that story arc as a basis.  its one of the better reboots of the franchise as it made Batman more darker and gritty as a character and went further into his (and Bruce Waynes) character development.

I think of Ivy as nothing more than a cameo.

She's not old enough yet to become Poison Ivy, and the first episode sets the ground work for her hatred of Gordon, and the Police in General. As far as I'm concerned, they set up her motivation for her future beliefs, as well as explaining in part, how she became detached from humanity and latched unto the plants.

^ this.  especially when she finds out that Gordon (and Bruce) later knew that her dad was framed for killing the Waynes and did nothing to clear her dads reputation and did nothing to make up for her dad being killed over this.

to me, i can see Ivy holding a grudge against both Bruce and Gordon for this, which is great imo.

@ reyler - the Nolan series was based off the Year One reboot (now official origin story) and subsequent Dark Knight Universe series.

its no surprise that this series is following with that reboot, most of the batman media (movies, games, cartoons) have followed that story arc as a basis.  its one of the better reboots of the franchise as it made Batman more darker and gritty as a character and went further into his (and Bruce Waynes) character development.

I'm aware of that; I was talking about the music they used sounding like Hans Zimmer's Batman theme.

God dammit, Montoya.

Also, Harvey Dent is really tall. Looks like they're going with the B:tAS version where he's always had a surpressed dark side.

Bruce and Selina are awesome together, and that boxing scene between Bruce and Alfred is great. Really looking forward to next week's episode to see Alfred kick all of the asses (come on Butch, you at least have had an ass kicking coming for a while now). From what I hear, we even get Ivy back, finally, to justify her casting.

Arkham asylum is turning into the loony bin we need it to be. The selina and Bruce origin story is great. I loved those two together. And her continued teasing of him is wonderful. I also love seeing these little consequential effects on Bruce's life that lead to major life decisions later on for him. We know he becomes the bat and the type of hero he becomes, its nice to see the reasons behind the choices he makes and the drive

Like selina saying "you won't survive on the streets". Likely is a reason why he goes.MIA for a few years like he does.

Dent is also complexes. At first I wasn't sold on him, too nice and squeaky. But seeing the thinly veiled and barely held back pyschoness was wonderful. When he snapped and he even had that bit of spittle on his chin I was like " now there's the two face we know and love".

I also enjoyed the origin reason for the double sided coin.

Alfred Kicks Everyone's Asses: the Series. I'd watch.

Bruce and Selina continue to be the most adorbs.

Even as just a kid, Ivy is being played far creepier than most depictions (which are usually focused on sex-appeal, which would be a whole different kind of creepy in this context).

Falcone holding dinner with that guy face-down in his spaghetti was hilarious.

Ed's brief moment of hilarious right as Jim is telling Bullock that whoever his next partner is can't possibly be worse made me wonder if Nygma's going to lobby for the assignment. Doubt he's got the actual training and qualifications, but he thus far doesn't seem like the kind of guy who lets little things like propriety or chain-of-command get in his way.

So a lot of people were thinking that the assassin in this episode was supposed to be Lady Shiva, but apparently it's actually the Arkham Origins revamp of Copperhead? I mean they never actually said her name but the strangleholds and the neat scale pattern in her costume designs support the information that went with the photos from earlier today.

So apparently there is a higher "people who run the city", but I hope it isn't Ra's al Ghul. That Egyptian-looking crest that Selina very blatantly showed the camera in her last scene points that direction (since when he's not that Irish guy he's actually Arabic), but Ra's really shouldn't be a factor until Bruce is an adult, unless they really are planning on having him be responsible for Bruce's training like in the Nolan films. There's also talk of the Court of Owls as an alternative, if they're looking to import extremely recent things.

I'm suprised they ended up going nowhere with Jim's gun being used. Glad not to have to sit through a wrongfully accused plotline, but surprised that they put that in there and then had it amount to little more than ammunition for the mayor to bring Gordon down. I mean, clearly it was going to happen anyway, on the orders of whoever was pulling the strings, so I'm not sure what the point was. Interesting choice to put him on Arkham security; so much for any pretense of a case-of-the-week procedural. At least we get Morena Baccarin as Leslie Thompkins.

• 2 weeks later...

so i'm going through withdraws on this show.  very few shows am i actually sad when they dont appear on my DVR  (Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Big Bang Theory)  Gotham is now on this list.

soooooo  i found this interesting article from November about the show   heres the interview that article was done off of

thoughts about what the article says concerning upcoming characters?

"rumors of Harley Quinn making an appearance this season are unfounded."

good, HQ (while i adore her, both her character as a compliment to Mr.J and as a fan made & created character) shouldn't even be born yet.  and she doesn't become HQ until Mr.J is locked up under Stranges care.  so HQ (at least as the homicidal princess we know and love) shouldn't make an appearance until Batman is well established   (tbh, she should be, age wise, around Robins age in this series.  Mr J was a good 10-20 years older than her)

“There’s an episode coming up where we learn how Robin’s parents got together.”

this is fantastic imo ^_^

"And still to come this season is a young version of Scarecrow. “This is not a kid being a loony Scarecrow; this is a couple episodes about how that character has evolved—everyone’s character is formed in their childhood to some degree or another,” Heller says. “His father is involved, as is part of the [character’s] mythology.”"

:wub:  this i love.  i wonder if they plan on sending his character to the Asylum as a child to be "cured"

"We haven’t got Harley Quinn in it. Riddler’s girlfriend is coming up. And Harley Quinn is definitely planned for later on, but so far no.”"

riddler ...  riddler has a girlfriend?  o.0   this must be the arc that will send him over the deep end with a mental breakdown *nods*

"Batman’s arch nemesis The Joker will also eventually come into play, with Heller planning to tease the audience with different characters who might possibly turn into the iconic villain."

:wub:  so we will get an origin story of the Joker in some form

I could see Mr.Freeze making an appearance in later seasons. He's at least a good 20-30 years older than Wayne.

You know... I kinda wish Gotham was more of a 'period piece' in the 20/30s like in the original comics/cartoon. Would add yet another 'layer' of awesome to the show. IMO.

I could see Mr.Freeze making an appearance in later seasons. He's at least a good 20-30 years older than Wayne.

You know... I kinda wish Gotham was more of a 'period piece' in the 20/30s like in the original comics/cartoon. Would add yet another 'layer' of awesome to the show. IMO.

having it in that era, considering the focus on the mob bosses, would have been a stroke of genius imo.   and i agree you get so many different layers to play with.

i mean, look at the technology alone.   for instance, the "methods" of curing insanity in the Asylum that were actually acceptable in that era would be enough to make Arkham a horror show of "wtf NOOOOOOO"

and then you could have the contrast of the tech Bruce could "build" (which could be near modernized, at least 50's era) in contrast with what the normal villains have.

re-Freeze.  he's supposed to be making an appearance this season iirc

• 4 weeks later...

The villain of the week... got away? What show am I watching?

Also, they've decided he's going to be the Electrocutioner, have they? What's with the sudden reemergence of that name/character from obscurity lately? First his appearance as the hardest boss fight in Arkham Origins, now a new character by the name pops up here. Not really a surprise, though; you don't cast the Swede from Hell on Wheels as a blink-and-you-miss-him character.

Decent enough episode, mostly placesetting for the rest of the season, looks like.

Ivy is a troll. That is all. And I can't decide if Barbara deserved the trolling or not. They really, really need to give me a reason to care that she's on the show other than strutting her around in short skirts.

new episode is on the DVR but haven't gotten a chance to watch yet xD  (i dont care about spoilers though ;) )

i had a dream about this show last night.

i was watching Gotham.  they brought in Jack Nicholson.  he had these two kids with him and moved into a condo and he was moving back to Gotham but was trying to make sure that no one knew he was back (keeping a low profile and all that)  some goons broke into his flat and trashed his paintings and then near creamed themselves and went all fan girl when they realized whose flat they were in.

and Jack ended the episode by saying "Well i guess the Jokers back, better go get the gang back together." as he killed the two goons.

and i totally went all fan rage in my dream over it cause he's WAY too old to be the Joker considering Bruces age and that means that they wont get harley in there and well i mean he's Jack Nicholson ... how could he not be the Joker ya know ... but again he's too old so obvious trolling by the producers.

lmao

i dont care if my brain thinks Jackie Boy is too old to be the Joker in this show, i'd love to see him reprise the role and be given the freedom to go full metal psycho in the role xD

Not only is he way too old, his waistline has finally caught up to his ego.

I didn't catch it last night due to unfamiliarity with the character, but the guy that Gruber was using as muscle at the end is apparently a realistically-sized Amygdala. So that's something.

The villain of the week... got away? What show am I watching?

Also, they've decided he's going to be the Electrocutioner, have they? What's with the sudden reemergence of that name/character from obscurity lately? First his appearance as the hardest boss fight in Arkham Origins, now a new character by the name pops up here. Not really a surprise, though; you don't cast the Swede from Hell on Wheels as a blink-and-you-miss-him character.

Decent enough episode, mostly placesetting for the rest of the season, looks like.

Ivy is a troll. That is all. And I can't decide if Barbara deserved the trolling or not. They really, really need to give me a reason to care that she's on the show other than strutting her around in short skirts.

Not having seen a single episode of Hell on Wheels, I'll just nod and pretend to know what you mean here. I've never cared much about westerns. And yeah, Barbara hasn't done much to justify her presence in the show. Other than being someone to be the victim in their attempt to display that Ivy is a bad girl.

Archived